Win98 System Resource Problems

My pc's been having alot of problems lately that it never really used to have
before.System resources seem to keep running low.Locking up.This is a fairly
fresh reformat.Have used disk-cleanup,defrag.Have mcafee anti & fire &
adaware all up to date. Have tried registry repair etc.Working with dsl now
instead of dial up.awful lot of mcafee servs. running in background also.Even
tried rambooster.To no avail.One particular chat site i frequent seems to use
alot of resources.Doesn't seem to give it back.Can anyone help ? Is there
anyway to "refresh" "resources" without rebooting ?? Is there a way that I
can have "resource meter" load at start-up so I can keep an eye on this ??
Thanks in advance for any & all help.Newsgroup also reacts pretty hesitantly.
Or,is that just something about this site ??
3 answers Last reply
More about win98 system resource problems

    This is just a suggestion. I don't know how good it is. Try PowerStrip -
    free download, it has a resouce monitor and the ability to recovre memory. I
    use it occasionally when something seems to have left my RAM clogged up. It
    works for me.

    Hope it works,
    jkb

    "Guitarfiend" <Guitarfiend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My pc's been having alot of problems lately that it never really used
    to have
    > before.System resources seem to keep running low.Locking up.This is a
    fairly
    > fresh reformat.Have used disk-cleanup,defrag.Have mcafee anti & fire &
    > adaware all up to date. Have tried registry repair etc.Working with
    dsl now
    > instead of dial up.awful lot of mcafee servs. running in background
    also.Even
    > tried rambooster.To no avail.One particular chat site i frequent seems
    to use
    > alot of resources.Doesn't seem to give it back.Can anyone help ? Is
    there
    > anyway to "refresh" "resources" without rebooting ?? Is there a way
    that I
    > can have "resource meter" load at start-up so I can keep an eye on
    this ??
    > Thanks in advance for any & all help.Newsgroup also reacts pretty
    hesitantly.
    > Or,is that just something about this site ??

    Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > and drag and drop
    System Resource Meter into Startup (Start > Programs > Startup).

    If Resource Meter is not in System Tools go to Start > Settings >
    Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup > d.c. System Tools
    > Check 'System Resource Meter' box > OK

    Have your Windows CD handy because you will be asked to insert it if
    System Resource Meter has not already been loaded onto your system.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Regards,
    EmrysDavies.

    Get rid of rambooster - it's causing more problems than it's solving.

    What level of resources are you seeing? Recovering resources is pointless
    unless they are getting critically low, like under 20%. You will notice low
    resources as effects like losing fonts and small graphics.

    Instead, get rid of all applications that don't have to start automatically
    This includes things in the systray which you can actually access just as
    easily from a desktop icon.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Guitarfiend" <Guitarfiend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My pc's been having alot of problems lately that it never really used to
    > have
    > before.System resources seem to keep running low.Locking up.This is a
    > fairly
    > fresh reformat.Have used disk-cleanup,defrag.Have mcafee anti & fire &
    > adaware all up to date. Have tried registry repair etc.Working with dsl
    > now
    > instead of dial up.awful lot of mcafee servs. running in background
    > also.Even
    > tried rambooster.To no avail.One particular chat site i frequent seems to
    > use
    > alot of resources.Doesn't seem to give it back.Can anyone help ? Is there
    > anyway to "refresh" "resources" without rebooting ?? Is there a way that I
    > can have "resource meter" load at start-up so I can keep an eye on this ??
    > Thanks in advance for any & all help.Newsgroup also reacts pretty
    > hesitantly.
    > Or,is that just something about this site ??

Windows