Win98 System Resource Problems

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 8, 2005 9:40:03 AM

My pc's been having alot of problems lately that it never really used to have
before.System resources seem to keep running low.Locking up.This is a fairly
fresh reformat.Have used disk-cleanup,defrag.Have mcafee anti & fire &
adaware all up to date. Have tried registry repair etc.Working with dsl now
instead of dial up.awful lot of mcafee servs. running in background also.Even
tried rambooster.To no avail.One particular chat site i frequent seems to use
alot of resources.Doesn't seem to give it back.Can anyone help ? Is there
anyway to "refresh" "resources" without rebooting ?? Is there a way that I
can have "resource meter" load at start-up so I can keep an eye on this ??
Thanks in advance for any & all help.Newsgroup also reacts pretty hesitantly.
Or,is that just something about this site ??
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:49:23 PM

This is just a suggestion. I don't know how good it is. Try PowerStrip -
free download, it has a resouce monitor and the ability to recovre memory. I
use it occasionally when something seems to have left my RAM clogged up. It
works for me.

Hope it works,
jkb
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:58:09 PM

"Guitarfiend" <Guitarfiend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My pc's been having alot of problems lately that it never really used
to have
> before.System resources seem to keep running low.Locking up.This is a
fairly
> fresh reformat.Have used disk-cleanup,defrag.Have mcafee anti & fire &
> adaware all up to date. Have tried registry repair etc.Working with
dsl now
> instead of dial up.awful lot of mcafee servs. running in background
also.Even
> tried rambooster.To no avail.One particular chat site i frequent seems
to use
> alot of resources.Doesn't seem to give it back.Can anyone help ? Is
there
> anyway to "refresh" "resources" without rebooting ?? Is there a way
that I
> can have "resource meter" load at start-up so I can keep an eye on
this ??
> Thanks in advance for any & all help.Newsgroup also reacts pretty
hesitantly.
> Or,is that just something about this site ??

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > and drag and drop
System Resource Meter into Startup (Start > Programs > Startup).

If Resource Meter is not in System Tools go to Start > Settings >
Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup > d.c. System Tools
> Check 'System Resource Meter' box > OK

Have your Windows CD handy because you will be asked to insert it if
System Resource Meter has not already been loaded onto your system.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Regards,
EmrysDavies.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 1:18:16 PM

Get rid of rambooster - it's causing more problems than it's solving.

What level of resources are you seeing? Recovering resources is pointless
unless they are getting critically low, like under 20%. You will notice low
resources as effects like losing fonts and small graphics.

Instead, get rid of all applications that don't have to start automatically
This includes things in the systray which you can actually access just as
easily from a desktop icon.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)