More about stop login screen

    From: "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com>

    | I would like to know how to stop the login screen from appearing when I
    | startup my Windows 98SE machine. At the present time I just hit the escape
    | key to get through this screen and it proceeds to boot up. I would rather
    | that the screen not even appear. Thanks in advance for any help.

    Don't load (remove) the MS Networking component in the Network Configuration applet in
    Control Panel.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    > From: "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com>
    >
    > | I would like to know how to stop the login screen from appearing when I
    > | startup my Windows 98SE machine. At the present time I just hit the
    > escape
    > | key to get through this screen and it proceeds to boot up. I would
    > rather
    > | that the screen not even appear. Thanks in advance for any help.
    > |

    > Don't load (remove) the MS Networking component in the Network
    > Configuration applet in
    > Control Panel.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I should have said the first time that I am running a wireless network, will
    removing this component mess with my wireless setup? Thanks

    From: "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com>

    | I should have said the first time that I am running a wireless network, will
    | removing this component mess with my wireless setup? Thanks

    Not as long as TCP/IP is still there. The only thing that will be affected is accessing MS
    File and Print Shares on other PCs. You must logon to Win9x/ME and have MS Networking
    loaded to access shares on another PC.

    --

    > From: "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com>
    >

    > | I should have said the first time that I am running a wireless network, will
    > | removing this component mess with my wireless setup? Thanks
    > |

    > Not as long as TCP/IP is still there. The only thing that will be affected is
    accessing MS
    > File and Print Shares on other PCs. You must logon to Win9x/ME and have MS
    Networking
    > loaded to access shares on another PC.

    That's not exactly true, Dave. One does not need to actually see the log-on screen
    in order to be logged on. Also, I don't think Client for MS Networks is required
    for file and print sharing.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104

    From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>

    | That's not exactly true, Dave. One does not need to actually see the log-on screen
    | in order to be logged on. Also, I don't think Client for MS Networks is required
    | for file and print sharing.
    | --
    | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Try it. You will find if you don't login you'll get access denied errors when trying to
    access a peer's F&P Shares.

    As for "not seeing" the login screen, you can install TweakUI and set the Control Panel
    applet to use an account and password automatically.

    --

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:52:14 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    wrote:

    >How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104

    That should do it, just be sure to disregard the Q135586 link at
    the bottom of the MS page, it's not for this purpose. Instead if you
    have TweakUI:
    Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then
    double-click Tweak UI.
    On the Paranoia tab, DO NOT select the Clear Last User At Logon
    check box.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access any
    machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon input box or
    use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first time, the logon
    input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets the logon as
    automatic using a null password and the logon input is not presented from that
    point on.
    However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security measures,
    set themselves up for a world of compromise.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    > From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    >

    > | That's not exactly true, Dave. One does not need to actually see the log-on
    > screen
    > | in order to be logged on. Also, I don't think Client for MS Networks is
    > required
    > | for file and print sharing.
    > | --
    > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > |

    > Try it. You will find if you don't login you'll get access denied errors when
    > trying to
    > access a peer's F&P Shares.
    >
    > As for "not seeing" the login screen, you can install TweakUI and set the
    > Control Panel
    > applet to use an account and password automatically.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    What security measures are you talking about? I have anti-virus software
    and also use a firewall.

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access any
    > machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon input
    > box or use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first time,
    > the logon input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets the
    > logon as automatic using a null password and the logon input is not
    > presented from that point on.
    > However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security
    > measures, set themselves up for a world of compromise.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    >> From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    >>

    >> | That's not exactly true, Dave. One does not need to actually see the
    >> log-on screen
    >> | in order to be logged on. Also, I don't think Client for MS Networks
    >> is required
    >> | for file and print sharing.
    >> | --
    >> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> |

    >> Try it. You will find if you don't login you'll get access denied errors
    >> when trying to
    >> access a peer's F&P Shares.
    >>
    >> As for "not seeing" the login screen, you can install TweakUI and set the
    >> Control Panel
    >> applet to use an account and password automatically.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave
    >> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    >> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    > From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
    >

    > | That's not exactly true, Dave. One does not need to actually see the log-on
    screen
    > | in order to be logged on. Also, I don't think Client for MS Networks is
    required
    > | for file and print sharing.
    > | --
    > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > |

    > Try it. You will find if you don't login you'll get access denied errors when
    trying to
    > access a peer's F&P Shares.
    >
    > As for "not seeing" the login screen, you can install TweakUI and set the Control
    Panel
    > applet to use an account and password automatically.

    First, my error re: not needing Client for MS Networks. It, or *some* networking
    client, must be installed in order to install File and Print Sharing. For some
    reason in the brief post I made at lunch, I was confusing Microsoft Family Logon
    with a network client.....it is not.

    As for not logging on, I do it every day at work, Dave.....but as I said, I am
    logged on, but no logon screen appears at startup, and TweakUI is not needed.
    Simply choose a user name and use a blank password when setting up the computer, and
    you will not see a log-in screen again, though you will be logged on. This only
    applies if you are the only user set up on the machine.

    How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104
    Following the method in this article, you will not see the log-in screen again, but
    will be logged in, and will be able to access shares.

    From: "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>

    | I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access any
    | machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon input box or
    | use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first time, the logon
    | input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets the logon as
    | automatic using a null password and the logon input is not presented from that
    | point on.
    | However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security measures,
    | set themselves up for a world of compromise.
    |
    | --
    |
    | Brian A. Sesko
    | { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Well there 'ya go....

    I'm the type of guy who usesd a 10 digit password.

    2 uppercase
    2 lowercase
    2 numbers
    2 special characters.

    So NOT having a password doesn't even cross my mind ;-)

    --

    > From: "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>
    >
    > | I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access any
    > | machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon input box or
    > | use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first time, the logon
    > | input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets the logon as
    > | automatic using a null password and the logon input is not presented from that
    > | point on.
    > | However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security measures,
    > | set themselves up for a world of compromise.
    > |

    > Well there 'ya go....
    >
    > I'm the type of guy who usesd a 10 digit password.
    >
    > 2 uppercase
    > 2 lowercase
    > 2 numbers
    > 2 special characters.
    >
    > So NOT having a password doesn't even cross my mind ;-)

    :-)
    ....but exactly what kind of security do you think that password is giving you, on an
    inherently insecure Win9x system?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Go to control panel, network, primary network logon and select Windows
    Logon. Go to control panel, passwords, user profiles and ensure the "all
    user's" box is marked. If you have a password established, go to control
    panel, passwords, change windows password, type the password in the old box,
    leave the rest blank and OK your way out. If you have forgotten your
    password, delete the .pwl file with your user name (mine is ron.pwl);
    however, be aware that you will lose all passwords stored in the .pwl file.
    If you do not have a password established or have deleted the .pwl file,
    when the W95/98 logon screen appears at boot, type a user name only and hit
    OK. If the logon screen continues to appear and you have Tweak UI
    installed, go to the Paranoia tab and remove the mark from "clear last
    user."

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to know how to stop the login screen from appearing when I
    >startup my Windows 98SE machine. At the present time I just hit the escape
    >key to get through this screen and it proceeds to boot up. I would rather
    >that the screen not even appear. Thanks in advance for any help.

    Apparently it is a secret, and the secret may be the security measure. ;-)
    I would assume Brian is referring to firewall.
    --

    > What security measures are you talking about? I have anti-virus software
    > and also use a firewall.
    >
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > > I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access any
    > > machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon input
    > > box or use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first time,
    > > the logon input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets the
    > > logon as automatic using a null password and the logon input is not
    > > presented from that point on.
    > > However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security
    > > measures, set themselves up for a world of compromise.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Brian A. Sesko
    > > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    > >

    > > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    > >> From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>

    > >> log-on screen
    > >> is required
    > >> |

    > >> Try it. You will find if you don't login you'll get access denied errors
    > >> when trying to
    > >> access a peer's F&P Shares.
    > >>
    > >> As for "not seeing" the login screen, you can install TweakUI and set the
    > >> Control Panel
    > >> applet to use an account and password automatically.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Dave
    > >> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    > >> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Just as I thought . . . thanks

    > Apparently it is a secret, and the secret may be the security measure.
    > ;-)
    > I would assume Brian is referring to firewall.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> What security measures are you talking about? I have anti-virus software
    >> and also use a firewall.
    >>
    >> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >> > I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access
    >> > any
    >> > machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon
    >> > input
    >> > box or use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first
    >> > time,
    >> > the logon input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets
    >> > the
    >> > logon as automatic using a null password and the logon input is not
    >> > presented from that point on.
    >> > However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security
    >> > measures, set themselves up for a world of compromise.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Brian A. Sesko
    >> > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    >> >

    >> > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

    "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What security measures are you talking about? I have anti-virus software and
    > also use a firewall.

    > Apparently it is a secret, and the secret may be the security measure. ;-)

    Apperently not anymore. <SEG>
    Sorry for the lapse, but I have been in a battle with an Xbox Live! connection
    for a nephew. The things I do for family, sheesh.

    > I would assume Brian is referring to firewall.

    That would be one as a first in line along with an AV app. that is always kept
    updated. Although, a firewall is only as good as you configure it, most leave
    them as is without second thoughts, blocking unused/un-needed ports is a start
    in defense. My comments were in line with a (LAN) Network and a user logging in
    with a null password, which IMO need extra precautionary measures. I've been
    told by a person or 2 that I am somewhat extreme in the way I lock down my
    network which I won't go into, but I myself don't think so in todays times.
    If a user chooses to use a null password for logon, chances are they will also
    not use a password when file sharing, and many will share the entire drive.
    Anyone with access to that machine has access to the shares as well as any
    material on that particular machine.
    I myself use a null password for logon, only share pw protected partitions
    (volumes) on a secondary drive where I keep all updated files for
    mobo's/hardware and bu images. I use a third party app to gain access to all
    machines on the network to run updates, backups and file transfers which I alone
    have the pw for such access.

    Even without a network, security measures which I think we can call
    precautions, could be in the line of:

    If more than one person has access to the machine and there is sensitve
    material on the machine, then others have access to such material if that
    material isn't secured in one form or another. Certainly a null password to
    logon is not secure in this situation unless other measures are taken.
    As we all know there are many lines in which to take the defensive, one being
    common sense and using safe hex.

    --

    > "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> What security measures are you talking about? I have anti-virus software
    >> and also use a firewall.

    >> Apparently it is a secret, and the secret may be the security measure.
    >> ;-)
    >
    > Apperently not anymore. <SEG>
    > Sorry for the lapse, but I have been in a battle with an Xbox Live!
    > connection for a nephew. The things I do for family, sheesh.
    >
    >> I would assume Brian is referring to firewall.
    >
    > That would be one as a first in line along with an AV app. that is always
    > kept updated. Although, a firewall is only as good as you configure it,
    > most leave them as is without second thoughts, blocking unused/un-needed
    > ports is a start in defense. My comments were in line with a (LAN) Network
    > and a user logging in with a null password, which IMO need extra
    > precautionary measures. I've been told by a person or 2 that I am somewhat
    > extreme in the way I lock down my network which I won't go into, but I
    > myself don't think so in todays times.
    > If a user chooses to use a null password for logon, chances are they will
    > also not use a password when file sharing, and many will share the entire
    > drive. Anyone with access to that machine has access to the shares as well
    > as any material on that particular machine.
    > I myself use a null password for logon, only share pw protected partitions
    > (volumes) on a secondary drive where I keep all updated files for
    > mobo's/hardware and bu images. I use a third party app to gain access to
    > all machines on the network to run updates, backups and file transfers
    > which I alone have the pw for such access.
    >
    > Even without a network, security measures which I think we can call
    > precautions, could be in the line of:
    >
    > If more than one person has access to the machine and there is sensitve
    > material on the machine, then others have access to such material if that
    > material isn't secured in one form or another. Certainly a null password
    > to logon is not secure in this situation unless other measures are taken.
    > As we all know there are many lines in which to take the defensive, one
    > being common sense and using safe hex.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    My wireless setup is at home between my desktop and my laptop. Me and my
    husband are the only ones who access anything on either computer (hopefully)
    so nothing much to keep secret there. I do lock my granddaughter out of our
    e-mail accounts when she comes. :o)

    I keep AV active and updated at all times, firewall running, Adaware,
    Spybot, etc. I am not a computer expert but have cleaned up a few of my
    friend's computer from viruses and such so I know pretty much how to keep
    one secure and clean.

    Thanks for all your help and info.

    Using wireless, it is *especially* important that you use all the security measures
    at you disposal, to keep the wireless network from being tapped into from
    outside....including unintentionally by neighbors with their own wireless devices.
    You may find this article informative:
    http://loop.interop.com/comments.php?id=230_0_1_0_C
    --

> [...]
    > > As we all know there are many lines in which to take the defensive, one
    > > being common sense and using safe hex.
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Brian A. Sesko
    > > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    > > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    > >

    > My wireless setup is at home between my desktop and my laptop. Me and my
    > husband are the only ones who access anything on either computer (hopefully)
    > so nothing much to keep secret there. I do lock my granddaughter out of our
    > e-mail accounts when she comes. :o)
    >
    > I keep AV active and updated at all times, firewall running, Adaware,
    > Spybot, etc. I am not a computer expert but have cleaned up a few of my
    > friend's computer from viruses and such so I know pretty much how to keep

    I have trouble picking up my wireless connection in the house if it has to
    go through glass or too many walls so I can't see anyone else picking up on
    it from the neighborhood. Does that necessarily mean that my broadcast is
    not strong or my laptop doesn't pick up the signal that well?

> [...]
    >> > As we all know there are many lines in which to take the defensive, one
    >> > being common sense and using safe hex.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Brian A. Sesko
    >> > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    >> >

    >> My wireless setup is at home between my desktop and my laptop. Me and my
    >> husband are the only ones who access anything on either computer
    >> (hopefully)
    >> so nothing much to keep secret there. I do lock my granddaughter out of
    >> our
    >> e-mail accounts when she comes. :o)
    >>
    >> I keep AV active and updated at all times, firewall running, Adaware,
    >> Spybot, etc. I am not a computer expert but have cleaned up a few of my
    >> friend's computer from viruses and such so I know pretty much how to keep

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My wireless setup is at home between my desktop and my laptop. Me and my
    > husband are the only ones who access anything on either computer (hopefully)
    > so nothing much to keep secret there. I do lock my granddaughter out of our
    > e-mail accounts when she comes. :o)

    You're using wireless for your network and may be open for compromise, I'm in
    no way saying you are. Yet by chance that you are, anything on your machines
    that have to do with your personal info including banking and or credit cards,
    may be sitting ducks.
    You may want to check out what you may be open to and if you are vulnerable in
    any way. This is a good site to test starting here:
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

    Once you read what's on the page, press the Proceed button. It will take you to
    the ShieldsUp testing page, where you can click on any button in the ShieldsUp
    services frame to run scan attempts to get info from your machine. When a scan
    is finished you will see the results. The ones to definitely run are the File
    Sharing, Common Ports and All Service Ports.

    > I keep AV active and updated at all times, firewall running, Adaware, Spybot,
    > etc. I am not a computer expert but have cleaned up a few of my friend's
    > computer from viruses and such so I know pretty much how to keep one secure
    > and clean.

    Rock on! Adding Safe Hex to the list would solidify it a bit more.

    > Thanks for all your help and info.

    YW.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well, I went to the link you provided below and ran the scans you
    recommended and all came back OK, saying that I was in full stealth mode.
    Thanks, that is very reassuring.

    > "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> My wireless setup is at home between my desktop and my laptop. Me and my
    >> husband are the only ones who access anything on either computer
    >> (hopefully) so nothing much to keep secret there. I do lock my
    >> granddaughter out of our e-mail accounts when she comes. :o)
    >
    > You're using wireless for your network and may be open for compromise, I'm
    > in no way saying you are. Yet by chance that you are, anything on your
    > machines that have to do with your personal info including banking and or
    > credit cards, may be sitting ducks.
    > You may want to check out what you may be open to and if you are
    > vulnerable in any way. This is a good site to test starting here:
    > https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    >
    > Once you read what's on the page, press the Proceed button. It will take
    > you to the ShieldsUp testing page, where you can click on any button in
    > the ShieldsUp services frame to run scan attempts to get info from your
    > machine. When a scan is finished you will see the results. The ones to
    > definitely run are the File Sharing, Common Ports and All Service Ports.
    >
    >> I keep AV active and updated at all times, firewall running, Adaware,
    >> Spybot, etc. I am not a computer expert but have cleaned up a few of my
    >> friend's computer from viruses and such so I know pretty much how to keep
    >> one secure and clean.
    >
    > Rock on! Adding Safe Hex to the list would solidify it a bit more.
    >

    >> Thanks for all your help and info.
    >
    > YW.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko