that the screen not even appear. Thanks in advance for any help.

From: "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com>

| I would like to know how to stop the login screen from appearing when I
| startup my Windows 98SE machine. At the present time I just hit the escape
| key to get through this screen and it proceeds to boot up. I would rather
| that the screen not even appear. Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't load (remove) the MS Networking component in the Network Configuration applet in
Control Panel.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

> From: "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com>
>
> | I would like to know how to stop the login screen from appearing when I
> | startup my Windows 98SE machine. At the present time I just hit the
> escape
> | key to get through this screen and it proceeds to boot up. I would
> rather
> | that the screen not even appear. Thanks in advance for any help.
> |

> Don't load (remove) the MS Networking component in the Network
> Configuration applet in
> Control Panel.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

I should have said the first time that I am running a wireless network, will
removing this component mess with my wireless setup? Thanks

From: "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com>

| I should have said the first time that I am running a wireless network, will
| removing this component mess with my wireless setup? Thanks

Not as long as TCP/IP is still there. The only thing that will be affected is accessing MS
File and Print Shares on other PCs. You must logon to Win9x/ME and have MS Networking
loaded to access shares on another PC.

--

> From: "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com>
>

> | I should have said the first time that I am running a wireless network, will
> | removing this component mess with my wireless setup? Thanks
> |

> Not as long as TCP/IP is still there. The only thing that will be affected is
accessing MS
> File and Print Shares on other PCs. You must logon to Win9x/ME and have MS
Networking
> loaded to access shares on another PC.

That's not exactly true, Dave. One does not need to actually see the log-on screen
in order to be logged on. Also, I don't think Client for MS Networks is required
for file and print sharing.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104

From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>

| That's not exactly true, Dave. One does not need to actually see the log-on screen
| in order to be logged on. Also, I don't think Client for MS Networks is required
| for file and print sharing.
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Try it. You will find if you don't login you'll get access denied errors when trying to
access a peer's F&P Shares.

As for "not seeing" the login screen, you can install TweakUI and set the Control Panel
applet to use an account and password automatically.

--

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:52:14 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104

That should do it, just be sure to disregard the Q135586 link at
the bottom of the MS page, it's not for this purpose. Instead if you
have TweakUI:
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then
double-click Tweak UI.
On the Paranoia tab, DO NOT select the Clear Last User At Logon
check box.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access any
machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon input box or
use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first time, the logon
input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets the logon as
automatic using a null password and the logon input is not presented from that
point on.
However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security measures,
set themselves up for a world of compromise.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

> From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
>

> | That's not exactly true, Dave. One does not need to actually see the log-on
> screen
> | in order to be logged on. Also, I don't think Client for MS Networks is
> required
> | for file and print sharing.
> | --
> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> |

> Try it. You will find if you don't login you'll get access denied errors when
> trying to
> access a peer's F&P Shares.
>
> As for "not seeing" the login screen, you can install TweakUI and set the
> Control Panel
> applet to use an account and password automatically.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

What security measures are you talking about? I have anti-virus software
and also use a firewall.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access any
> machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon input
> box or use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first time,
> the logon input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets the
> logon as automatic using a null password and the logon input is not
> presented from that point on.
> However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security
> measures, set themselves up for a world of compromise.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

>> From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
>>

>> | That's not exactly true, Dave. One does not need to actually see the
>> log-on screen
>> | in order to be logged on. Also, I don't think Client for MS Networks
>> is required
>> | for file and print sharing.
>> | --
>> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> |

>> Try it. You will find if you don't login you'll get access denied errors
>> when trying to
>> access a peer's F&P Shares.
>>
>> As for "not seeing" the login screen, you can install TweakUI and set the
>> Control Panel
>> applet to use an account and password automatically.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

> From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
>

> | That's not exactly true, Dave. One does not need to actually see the log-on
screen
> | in order to be logged on. Also, I don't think Client for MS Networks is
required
> | for file and print sharing.
> | --
> | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> |

> Try it. You will find if you don't login you'll get access denied errors when
trying to
> access a peer's F&P Shares.
>
> As for "not seeing" the login screen, you can install TweakUI and set the Control
Panel
> applet to use an account and password automatically.

First, my error re: not needing Client for MS Networks. It, or *some* networking
client, must be installed in order to install File and Print Sharing. For some
reason in the brief post I made at lunch, I was confusing Microsoft Family Logon
with a network client.....it is not.

As for not logging on, I do it every day at work, Dave.....but as I said, I am
logged on, but no logon screen appears at startup, and TweakUI is not needed.
Simply choose a user name and use a blank password when setting up the computer, and
you will not see a log-in screen again, though you will be logged on. This only
applies if you are the only user set up on the machine.

How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104
Following the method in this article, you will not see the log-in screen again, but
will be logged in, and will be able to access shares.

From: "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>

| I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access any
| machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon input box or
| use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first time, the logon
| input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets the logon as
| automatic using a null password and the logon input is not presented from that
| point on.
| However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security measures,
| set themselves up for a world of compromise.
|
| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko
| { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Well there 'ya go....

I'm the type of guy who usesd a 10 digit password.

2 uppercase
2 lowercase
2 numbers
2 special characters.

So NOT having a password doesn't even cross my mind ;-)

--

> From: "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake>
>
> | I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access any
> | machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon input box or
> | use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first time, the logon
> | input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets the logon as
> | automatic using a null password and the logon input is not presented from that
> | point on.
> | However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security measures,
> | set themselves up for a world of compromise.
> |

> Well there 'ya go....
>
> I'm the type of guy who usesd a 10 digit password.
>
> 2 uppercase
> 2 lowercase
> 2 numbers
> 2 special characters.
>
> So NOT having a password doesn't even cross my mind ;-)

:)
....but exactly what kind of security do you think that password is giving you, on an
inherently insecure Win9x system?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Go to control panel, network, primary network logon and select Windows
Logon. Go to control panel, passwords, user profiles and ensure the "all
user's" box is marked. If you have a password established, go to control
panel, passwords, change windows password, type the password in the old box,
leave the rest blank and OK your way out. If you have forgotten your
password, delete the .pwl file with your user name (mine is ron.pwl);
however, be aware that you will lose all passwords stored in the .pwl file.
If you do not have a password established or have deleted the .pwl file,
when the W95/98 logon screen appears at boot, type a user name only and hit
OK. If the logon screen continues to appear and you have Tweak UI
installed, go to the Paranoia tab and remove the mark from "clear last
user."

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know how to stop the login screen from appearing when I
>startup my Windows 98SE machine. At the present time I just hit the escape
>key to get through this screen and it proceeds to boot up. I would rather
>that the screen not even appear. Thanks in advance for any help.

Apparently it is a secret, and the secret may be the security measure. ;-)
I would assume Brian is referring to firewall.
--

> What security measures are you talking about? I have anti-virus software
> and also use a firewall.
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> > I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access any
> > machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon input
> > box or use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first time,
> > the logon input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets the
> > logon as automatic using a null password and the logon input is not
> > presented from that point on.
> > However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security
> > measures, set themselves up for a world of compromise.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Brian A. Sesko
> > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> >

> > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
> >> From: "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>

> >> log-on screen
> >> is required
> >> |

> >> Try it. You will find if you don't login you'll get access denied errors
> >> when trying to
> >> access a peer's F&P Shares.
> >>
> >> As for "not seeing" the login screen, you can install TweakUI and set the
> >> Control Panel
> >> applet to use an account and password automatically.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dave
> >> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> >> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Just as I thought . . . thanks

> Apparently it is a secret, and the secret may be the security measure.
> ;-)
> I would assume Brian is referring to firewall.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What security measures are you talking about? I have anti-virus software
>> and also use a firewall.
>>
>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> > I never see/get the logon input box, do not use TweakUI and can access
>> > any
>> > machine/printer on the network. One does not have to see the logon
>> > input
>> > box or use TUI. When a user starts their machine for the very first
>> > time,
>> > the logon input box appears. By typing a name and pressing OK it sets
>> > the
>> > logon as automatic using a null password and the logon input is not
>> > presented from that point on.
>> > However, anyone that logs on in this matter without proper security
>> > measures, set themselves up for a world of compromise.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Brian A. Sesko
>> > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>> >

>> > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

"Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What security measures are you talking about? I have anti-virus software and
> also use a firewall.

> Apparently it is a secret, and the secret may be the security measure. ;-)

Apperently not anymore. <SEG>
Sorry for the lapse, but I have been in a battle with an Xbox Live! connection
for a nephew. The things I do for family, sheesh.

> I would assume Brian is referring to firewall.

That would be one as a first in line along with an AV app. that is always kept
updated. Although, a firewall is only as good as you configure it, most leave
them as is without second thoughts, blocking unused/un-needed ports is a start
in defense. My comments were in line with a (LAN) Network and a user logging in
with a null password, which IMO need extra precautionary measures. I've been
told by a person or 2 that I am somewhat extreme in the way I lock down my
network which I won't go into, but I myself don't think so in todays times.
If a user chooses to use a null password for logon, chances are they will also
not use a password when file sharing, and many will share the entire drive.
Anyone with access to that machine has access to the shares as well as any
material on that particular machine.
I myself use a null password for logon, only share pw protected partitions
(volumes) on a secondary drive where I keep all updated files for
mobo's/hardware and bu images. I use a third party app to gain access to all
machines on the network to run updates, backups and file transfers which I alone
have the pw for such access.

Even without a network, security measures which I think we can call
precautions, could be in the line of:

If more than one person has access to the machine and there is sensitve
material on the machine, then others have access to such material if that
material isn't secured in one form or another. Certainly a null password to
logon is not secure in this situation unless other measures are taken.
As we all know there are many lines in which to take the defensive, one being
common sense and using safe hex.

--

> "Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What security measures are you talking about? I have anti-virus software
>> and also use a firewall.

>> Apparently it is a secret, and the secret may be the security measure.
>> ;-)
>
> Apperently not anymore. <SEG>
> Sorry for the lapse, but I have been in a battle with an Xbox Live!
> connection for a nephew. The things I do for family, sheesh.
>
>> I would assume Brian is referring to firewall.
>
> That would be one as a first in line along with an AV app. that is always
> kept updated. Although, a firewall is only as good as you configure it,
> most leave them as is without second thoughts, blocking unused/un-needed
> ports is a start in defense. My comments were in line with a (LAN) Network
> and a user logging in with a null password, which IMO need extra
> precautionary measures. I've been told by a person or 2 that I am somewhat
> extreme in the way I lock down my network which I won't go into, but I
> myself don't think so in todays times.
> If a user chooses to use a null password for logon, chances are they will
> also not use a password when file sharing, and many will share the entire
> drive. Anyone with access to that machine has access to the shares as well
> as any material on that particular machine.
> I myself use a null password for logon, only share pw protected partitions
> (volumes) on a secondary drive where I keep all updated files for
> mobo's/hardware and bu images. I use a third party app to gain access to
> all machines on the network to run updates, backups and file transfers
> which I alone have the pw for such access.
>
> Even without a network, security measures which I think we can call
> precautions, could be in the line of:
>
> If more than one person has access to the machine and there is sensitve
> material on the machine, then others have access to such material if that
> material isn't secured in one form or another. Certainly a null password
> to logon is not secure in this situation unless other measures are taken.
> As we all know there are many lines in which to take the defensive, one
> being common sense and using safe hex.
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

My wireless setup is at home between my desktop and my laptop. Me and my
husband are the only ones who access anything on either computer (hopefully)
so nothing much to keep secret there. I do lock my granddaughter out of our
e-mail accounts when she comes. :eek:)

I keep AV active and updated at all times, firewall running, Adaware,
Spybot, etc. I am not a computer expert but have cleaned up a few of my
friend's computer from viruses and such so I know pretty much how to keep
one secure and clean.

Thanks for all your help and info.

Using wireless, it is *especially* important that you use all the security measures
at you disposal, to keep the wireless network from being tapped into from
outside....including unintentionally by neighbors with their own wireless devices.
You may find this article informative:
http://loop.interop.com/comments.php?id=230_0_1_0_C
--

> [...]
> > As we all know there are many lines in which to take the defensive, one
> > being common sense and using safe hex.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Brian A. Sesko
> > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> >

> My wireless setup is at home between my desktop and my laptop. Me and my
> husband are the only ones who access anything on either computer (hopefully)
> so nothing much to keep secret there. I do lock my granddaughter out of our
> e-mail accounts when she comes. :eek:)
>
> I keep AV active and updated at all times, firewall running, Adaware,
> Spybot, etc. I am not a computer expert but have cleaned up a few of my
> friend's computer from viruses and such so I know pretty much how to keep

I have trouble picking up my wireless connection in the house if it has to
go through glass or too many walls so I can't see anyone else picking up on
it from the neighborhood. Does that necessarily mean that my broadcast is
not strong or my laptop doesn't pick up the signal that well?

> [...]
>> husband are the only ones who access anything on either computer
>> (hopefully)
>> so nothing much to keep secret there. I do lock my granddaughter out of
>> our
>> e-mail accounts when she comes. :eek:)
>>
>> I keep AV active and updated at all times, firewall running, Adaware,
>> Spybot, etc. I am not a computer expert but have cleaned up a few of my
>> friend's computer from viruses and such so I know pretty much how to keep
>> one secure and clean.
>>
>> Thanks for all your help and info.

"Phyllis" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My wireless setup is at home between my desktop and my laptop. Me and my
> husband are the only ones who access anything on either computer (hopefully)
> so nothing much to keep secret there. I do lock my granddaughter out of our

You're using wireless for your network and may be open for compromise, I'm in
no way saying you are. Yet by chance that you are, anything on your machines
that have to do with your personal info including banking and or credit cards,
may be sitting ducks.
You may want to check out what you may be open to and if you are vulnerable in
any way. This is a good site to test starting here:
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Once you read what's on the page, press the Proceed button. It will take you to
the ShieldsUp testing page, where you can click on any button in the ShieldsUp
services frame to run scan attempts to get info from your machine. When a scan
is finished you will see the results. The ones to definitely run are the File
Sharing, Common Ports and All Service Ports.

> I keep AV active and updated at all times, firewall running, Adaware, Spybot,
> etc. I am not a computer expert but have cleaned up a few of my friend's
> computer from viruses and such so I know pretty much how to keep one secure
> and clean.

Rock on! Adding Safe Hex to the list would solidify it a bit more.

> Thanks for all your help and info.

YW.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Well, I went to the link you provided below and ran the scans you
recommended and all came back OK, saying that I was in full stealth mode.
Thanks, that is very reassuring.