Video Card Upgrade for Dell E510 - Please Help

PuckJones

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I just ordered a Dell E510 fully loaded with a dual TV tuner, dual DVD drives and the ATI X300SE card. The first thing I want to do is upgrade the video card.

I don't want to spend more than $180 or so and I don't want to have to replace the stock PSU (around 350W). I also don't want to have to mess with splitting cables / power adapters. I'd like one that will plug straight into the PC Express X16 slot and doesn't require a power cable hook up.

I'm not a big gamer (Sims 2 is about as hard core as I'll get) but I do want to use this PC to do some heavy video editing, photo editing and DVD watching on a 32" flat screen.

I'd like a card that's quiet and can get the most out of the 32" widescreen that I'm using with good resolution options.

I've read a bit about ATI X800 GTO, Nvidia 6600GT and the Nvidia 7600GT. They all seem good. Is there a large difference between them? I'm looking for the best value possible.

What current card or cards would provide the best results under the current 305W PSU? What's the best bang for the buck?

Thanks in advance!

PuckJones

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Any suggestions? I'm not a heavy gamer. I think I am down to the X800GTO and the 7600GT. I want something that runs cool and quiet and something I won't have to upgrade in the next year.

Which manufacturer's are best?

cleeve

Illustrious
A 7600 GT is the best in the price bracket you mentioned, hands down bests the X800 GTO.

If you can get anX1800 GTO, they are also very good.

Dell PSUs are underrated. You'll have plenty of power for a 7600 GT.

PuckJones

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Do the 7600Gt's run quiet? We have the PC in our bedroom and leave it on. I don't want a lot of fan noise if possible. It runs silent right now with the crappy X300SE card in it.

Which 7600GT models are the best. I was looking at one from EVGA, but the reviews said the fan is loud. Can I upgrade the fan to a silent one?

Thanks for all of the help so far.

cleeve

Illustrious
Gigabyte and Asus both offer 7600 GTs with no fan, a silent heatpipe system. Not sure how much more expensive they are though.

If silence is a big factor, and you want to keep the costs down, a 7600 GS might be good for your needs (although not as fast as thr 7600 GT). I think most of the 7600 GS's are fanless as well.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
I am currently running an eVGA 7600GT and I cannot hear the fan on it over my two other case fans so I don't consider it too loud. I only hear it kick in when I boot up or when gaming. Chances are however, that you will hear it in a Dell so you might want to check on the passive models.

Either card would work well for what you planned to do with it and neither require an external power hookup to the PSU as well.

PuckJones

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I ended up ordering the eVga 7600GT. Look forward to getting it. Hopefully it runs quiet during normal use. I couldn't get a passive card because they require 2 slots.

Thanks again for all of your responses. So is this a pretty good card?

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I'd like a card that's quiet and can get the most out of the 32" widescreen that I'm using with good resolution options.
A 32" widescreen?

The card you bought will come no where close to even running that thing in a high resolution.

I guess the rest of the posters in this thread overlooked this major detail when recommending a card to you.

My appologies....

PuckJones

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Quick question. Will it run 2d apps in high resolution? DVD's, image programs? If it does, then I'll be fine. I won't do too much gaming. If not, I need to cancel this order ASAP.

Thanks!

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Quick question. Will it run 2d apps in high resolution?
What do you consider High resolution?

I consider high resolution to be 1600x1200, and if you concur with that, then I would choose a higher grade video card.

Bumb your price bracket up another $100 dollars or you'll more than likely be disapointed.

Just my oppinion.

PuckJones

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Eventually I will upgrade the PSU to a higher wattage and get a better card when the prices come down. For now, this should do.

The max resolution on my monitor is 1366 x 768 according to the manual. I'm guess this card can handle that?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Eventually I will upgrade the PSU to a higher wattage and get a better card when the prices come down. For now, this should do.

The max resolution on my monitor is 1366 x 768 according to the manual. I'm guess this card can handle that?

The 7600GT will be able to play Sims 2 at max detail at that resolution with decent frames per second.