Computer Generates ~

Alley

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

My computer or OS (Win98se), is generating short file names out of
existing files with long file names that have a tilde (~) in the name.
It doesn't generate or duplicate all files this way, just some. Does
anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks.

Al

"Alley" <alley@aoell.com> wrote in message

> My computer or OS (Win98se), is generating short file names out of
> existing files with long file names that have a tilde (~) in the name.
> It doesn't generate or duplicate all files this way, just some. Does
> anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks.

Win98 has a utility that is supposed to maintain
(or recover?) long file names --
c:\windows\command\SULFNBK.EXE
You might want to / start / run / SFC.EXE
= System File Checker
to see whether yours has been damaged.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

In article <MPG.1d3b0cdda3a0ec479896fe@news-server.jam.rr.com>,
alley@aoell.com says...

> My computer or OS (Win98se), is generating short file names out of
> existing files with long file names that have a tilde (~) in the name.
> It doesn't generate or duplicate all files this way, just some. Does
> anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks.
>
> Al

Just to clear something up... the files are being duplicated, not just
renamed, so there are two sets of these files, not just renamed files.
Thanks.

Al

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

I still don't get it. Are you saying files that already have a tilde (~)
in their name are getting duplicated? Or they are getting a new SFN?
Better give an example of before/after names/files/whatever. Are you,
yourself, putting one of the tildes in there? Then, don't do that!

(1) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
(2) DIR *~* /a
(3) Use "MARK". outline text with mouse, "COPY" to post it.

C:\>DIR *~* /a
Directory of C:\
PROGRA~1 <DIR> 07-22-99 12:13a Program Files
MYDOCU~1 <DIR> 07-22-99 1:13a My Documents
WINDOW~1 <DIR> 07-31-01 10:39p Windows Update Setup Files
CHESSV~1 <DIR> 08-02-01 1:30a Chessvision
MSDOSS~1 FIX 1,676 11-15-99 2:24p MSDOS.SYS.FIXED
MYSYST~1 <DIR> 08-18-01 6:18p My System
WINDOW~1 BMK 63 08-18-01 6:36p WINDOWSWinHlp32.BMK
ULTRA6~1 <DIR> 01-26-02 6:14p Ultra66-100_160_B36
UTILIT~1 <DIR> 04-09-05 1:03p Utilities
2 file(s) 1,739 bytes
7 dir(s) 6,773.97 MB free

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| In article <MPG.1d3b0cdda3a0ec479896fe@news-server.jam.rr.com>,
| alley@aoell.com says...
| >
| > My computer or OS (Win98se), is generating short file names out of
| > existing files with long file names that have a tilde (~) in the
name.
| > It doesn't generate or duplicate all files this way, just some. Does
| > anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks.
| >
| > Al
| >

| Just to clear something up... the files are being duplicated, not just
| renamed, so there are two sets of these files, not just renamed files.
| Thanks.
|
| Al

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance (More info?)

This program is not used for recovering long filenames. It is used to
create long file name references for certain files that the system creates
during the Windows upgrade procedure that would otherwise only be known by
their short file name.

The program for backing up and restoring long filenames is LFNBK.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:46:37 GMT, Alley <alley@aoell.com> wrote:

>My computer or OS (Win98se), is generating short file names out of
>existing files with long file names that have a tilde (~) in the name.
>It doesn't generate or duplicate all files this way, just some. Does
>anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks.

Note: Not everything with a tilde in it is a "short name" as such.
Several temp files have names that often start with a tilde, and
tildes can be placed anywhere in a short or long file name.

But if you mean 8.3 names of the form XXXXXX~n.XXX, those are the real
names that were always there, under the Long File Name (LFN).

If a file with an LFN is processed by software that does not "know"
LFNs, then the LFNs will be stripped away. Examples include:
- DOS mode
- Winfile.exe (File Manager from Win3.yuk, included in Win9x)
- PK Zip 2.04g, i.e. PKZip.exe and PKUnZip.exe
- Lap Link for DOS, e.g. LL3.exe
- any pre-Win95 file system tools, e.g. defraggers, dir sorters
- any Win3.yuk or DOS progs, e.g. WP51, Word 6 etc.

>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -
I'm baaaack!

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:54:58 GMT, Alley <alley@aoell.com> wrote:
>In article <MPG.1d3b0cdda3a0ec479896fe@news-server.jam.rr.com>,

>> My computer or OS (Win98se), is generating short file names out of
>> existing files with long file names that have a tilde (~) in the name.
>> It doesn't generate or duplicate all files this way, just some.

>Just to clear something up... the files are being duplicated, not just
>renamed, so there are two sets of these files, not just renamed files.

Then I would suspect a file system utility such as a directory sorter
that isn't compatible, or something that's generating new files.

For example, let's say something creates a companion .pif or .lnk file
for the files it touches, and for some reason it uses the underlying
8.3 name for this purpose. Next to "Some Long Name.exe", you'd have
what looks like SOMELO~1.EXE, but may be SOMELO~1.EXE.PIF (.PIF and
..LNK file name extensions are never shown).

I don't know of any malware that does this, FWIW.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!