How do I change drive letters after install of 2nd HD

Using win98,I installed a second HD.This HD is an old 3 G. I removed the
jumper to make it a secondary drive.It also has an OS [SE}on it which I
will just format the drive.I don't need it.
The Primary drive C is a 14 G drive. It has been originally partitioned
to make a 10G C drive and a 4 G D drive.
When I installed the second drive and turned on computer it became the D
drive and the original D drive became the E. Also moved every device up
a letter,ZIP E to F and CD F to G.
Why did this happen since the original C and D are on the same HD.How do
I make the second drive the E drive?

I don't know how to change-never have.
This is the way Windows has done it for me:
A:, B: - assigned to floppy drives 0 & 1.
c: - assigned to primary partition of HD0.
(This partition is the active partition.)
D:, etc. - assigned to primary partitions of other drives if you have any,
in sequence
(e.g. HD1 = D:, HD2 = E:, etc.)
Once all primary partitions have been assigned drive letters the logical
drives in extended partitions get assigned the remaining drive letters,
starting again with HD0.
Then, drives that require drivers get assigned drive letters-CDR.etc.

Maybe some else knows differently.
mae
--------------------------------

Joe K wrote:

> Why did this happen since the original C and D are on the same HD.How do
> I make the second drive the E drive?
Using the device manager I was able to change the F and G to G and H
respectively.I am unable to change the C,D and E. The
properties/settings windows of both Hard drives was greyed out at the
reserved drive letters.

Joe K wrote:
> Joe K wrote:
>
>> Why did this happen since the original C and D are on the same
>> HD.How do I make the second drive the E drive?
> Using the device manager I was able to change the F and G to G and H
> respectively.I am unable to change the C,D and E. The
> properties/settings windows of both Hard drives was greyed out at the
> reserved drive letters.

Letter Assigner
http://www.v72735.f2s.com/LetAssig/

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Just to add to what Ron Martell has already addressed:

Order in Which MS-DOS and Windows Assign Drive Letters
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=51978
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
> Using win98,I installed a second HD.This HD is an old 3 G. I removed the
> jumper to make it a secondary drive.It also has an OS [SE}on it which I
> will just format the drive.I don't need it.
> The Primary drive C is a 14 G drive. It has been originally partitioned
> to make a 10G C drive and a 4 G D drive.
> When I installed the second drive and turned on computer it became the D
> drive and the original D drive became the E. Also moved every device up
> a letter,ZIP E to F and CD F to G.
> Why did this happen since the original C and D are on the same HD.How do
> I make the second drive the E drive?

Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote:

>Using win98,I installed a second HD.This HD is an old 3 G. I removed the
>jumper to make it a secondary drive.It also has an OS [SE}on it which I
>will just format the drive.I don't need it.
>The Primary drive C is a 14 G drive. It has been originally partitioned
>to make a 10G C drive and a 4 G D drive.
>When I installed the second drive and turned on computer it became the D
>drive and the original D drive became the E. Also moved every device up
>a letter,ZIP E to F and CD F to G.
>Why did this happen since the original C and D are on the same HD.How do
>I make the second drive the E drive?

You are going to have to delete the existing Primary DOS partition on
the second hard drive and then create first a new Extended DOS
partition on that drive and secondly create a new logical drive within
the Extended DOS partition.

When you reboot after these changes your second hard drive will now
appear as drive E: and your original hard drive partitions will be
back to C: and D:

The reason for the drive letter change is that Primary DOS partitions
on all hard drives take absolute priority over Extended DOS partitions
for the assignment of drive letters, at least in DOS and Windows 9x
versions. NT based versions of Windows handle drive letters
differently (Windows NT, 2000, XP).

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron Martell wrote:
> Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote:
>

>>Using win98,I installed a second HD.This HD is an old 3 G. I removed the
>>jumper to make it a secondary drive.It also has an OS [SE}on it which I
>>will just format the drive.I don't need it.
>>The Primary drive C is a 14 G drive. It has been originally partitioned
>>to make a 10G C drive and a 4 G D drive.
>>When I installed the second drive and turned on computer it became the D
>>drive and the original D drive became the E. Also moved every device up
>>a letter,ZIP E to F and CD F to G.
>>Why did this happen since the original C and D are on the same HD.How do
>>I make the second drive the E drive?
>

> You are going to have to delete the existing Primary DOS partition on
> the second hard drive and then create first a new Extended DOS
> partition on that drive and secondly create a new logical drive within
> the Extended DOS partition.
>
> When you reboot after these changes your second hard drive will now
> appear as drive E: and your original hard drive partitions will be
> back to C: and D:
>
> The reason for the drive letter change is that Primary DOS partitions
> on all hard drives take absolute priority over Extended DOS partitions
> for the assignment of drive letters, at least in DOS and Windows 9x
> versions. NT based versions of Windows handle drive letters
> differently (Windows NT, 2000, XP).
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
Thanks to all for the help.
Ron, I did what you said and it worked fine. Thanks again.
On Saturday I was doing another project trying to install a large 120Gig
HD on an old 2001 machine. I read a lot about fdisk and partitioning.No
where did I read about the letter assignment as you stated.I understand
now.It's been a learning process.