Virus that wont go away

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 11, 2005 3:05:06 AM

I have tried two different anti-virus systems one online, and one that I had
purchased and installed on my machine. They both have detected but have not
been able to remove an infected file on my computer. It says the viruses
name is: TSPY_STARTPA.A infected file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ELITENBE32.EXE .
How do I rid my computer of this virus?
--
Thank You for your help,
Jeanette

More about : virus wont

July 11, 2005 8:01:27 AM

"Jeanette" <Jeanette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried two different anti-virus systems one online, and one that I
>had
> purchased and installed on my machine. They both have detected but have
> not
> been able to remove an infected file on my computer. It says the viruses
> name is: TSPY_STARTPA.A infected file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ELITENBE32.EXE
> .
> How do I rid my computer of this virus?

boot to DOS
then delete it manually
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:13:19 AM

"Jeanette" <Jeanette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have tried two different anti-virus systems one online, and one that I
had
> purchased and installed on my machine. They both have detected but have
not
> been able to remove an infected file on my computer. It says the viruses
> name is: TSPY_STARTPA.A infected file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ELITENBE32.EXE
..
> How do I rid my computer of this virus?
> --
> Thank You for your help,
> Jeanette

Technical Details
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/ve_graywareDet...

Solution
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/ve_graywareDet...
July 12, 2005 9:10:25 AM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:05:06 -0700, "Jeanette"

>I have tried two different anti-virus systems one online, and one that I had
>purchased and installed on my machine. They both have detected but have not
>been able to remove an infected file on my computer.

You are running these scanners while the malware is already running -
so this is hardly a surprising outcome.

If you notice a red sighting laser spot on your chest, look up, and
see someone pointing a gun at you, and you start to look for your own
gun in your bag, are you surprised when you get shot first?

>It says the viruses name is: TSPY_STARTPA.A infected file
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ELITENBE32.EXE .
> How do I rid my computer of this virus?

Get OUT of the infected code base (i.e. boot something other than the
hard drive, e.g. a DOS mode boot diskette that was prepared on a clean
system) and rename away the file from there, or better still, run an
antivirus scanner from there.

You're lucky you are in Win98 on a FATxx file system, and not stranded
in XP on NTFS. At least you have (or should have) a boot diskette
that will let you access and rename files, etc. plus there are still
antivirus scanners, and free ones at that, that can run from there.

For example, you can download F-Prot for DOS from www.f-prot.com, ot
free evaluation copies of NOD32 or Sophos from www.nod32.com and
www.sophos.com respectively.

However, some files may be too big to fit on diskette, so you'd have
to get creative with PKZip, PKUnZip, RAM drive, etc. Geeky? Hard
work? Not easy enough? Maybe, but that's what happens when the OS
vendor ignores a core maintenance need for 10 years.

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm refers.

One of the reasons I've been scarce in these newsgroups is because
I've been working on this problem, so as to develop a solution (or at
least, try to make available 3rd-party solutions work better, be
easier to use, etc.). Instead of posting several messages like the
above each week, essentially saying "unless the virus is too dumb to
defend itself, you're stuffed", I'd rather take time out so I can come
back laaater and say "download this, this and this; click that, that
and that; light the touch paper, stand back and watch".

Running Windows-based av to kill active malware is like striking
a match to see if what you are standing in is water or petrol.
January 30, 2009 1:28:21 AM

Just go to this site I built, http://connectionwizard.comoj.com/ there are the programs you need (FREE) and full instructions telling you how to install and uninstall them. When you are done you will be able to get you updates again, your machine will be like you first bought it as well. Take Care
January 30, 2009 7:11:45 AM

Why the hell do you keep spamming really old threads with this crap. Go away.
!