C; opens automatically at startup

The subject says it all.

When the desktop loads, C:\ opens by itself.

I opened the issue at Neowin
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=337740

Rather than repeat all the steps tried to solve it (you will see that
all the sensible conventional approaches have failed), it's all
documented there.

Happened shortly after a clean OS reinstall. Weird.

tia

~J
Wn98se, PIII650

Here is a post and the answer to it from Alan Edwards, same problem I think,
the solution may be the same, it worked for me. item 2 delete the desktop
process

--Quote--
It is not even normal for a C:\ window to open at startup in safe mode.
Try these notes I have on file:

1. Check Win.ini for odd spaces or unnecessary punctuation (or even a C:\)
in the run= or load= lines.

2. Windows Explorer Starts When You Start Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=228502

Delete the 'DesktopProcess' value from the following registry key:
HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Window­s\CurrentVersion\Explorer

3. Delete any C:\Autorun.inf files.

4. If you have ever loaded a copy of IE6 that is not the public preview,
then delete the contents of this Registry key:

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\M­icrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersio­n\Explorer\Res
tartCommands

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_dis­cussion, "Randy"
> <anonym...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> >For reasons i cant explain the C:\Windows directory on my
> >pc insists on appearing on my desktop every time i boot..
> >this is a recent thing... I've used the system config
> >utility to diable startup group items and unchecking
> >everything in Selective start up. no luck.. the only
> >differnce occurrs if i do a safe mode boot.... then the
> >only directory that pops up is c:\ (which may be normal
> >for all i know} I've spent hours combing through the
> >registry... and cant figure it out.. HELP !!!

--End Quote--

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"vegeddabowdit" <vegeddabowdit@hotmail~cold_trail~.com> wrote in message
| The subject says it all.
|
| When the desktop loads, C:\ opens by itself.
|
| I opened the issue at Neowin
| http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=337740
|
| Rather than repeat all the steps tried to solve it (you will see that
| all the sensible conventional approaches have failed), it's all
| documented there.
|
| Happened shortly after a clean OS reinstall. Weird.
|
| tia
|
| ~J
| ----------------------------------------------------------
| Wn98se, PIII650

I "almost" gave up on a solution, but that worked like a charm.

Thanks so much.

Suppose I shouldn't push my luck, but I'd sure like to know why it
happened in the first place, or is it just one of those one in a million
chance quirks that you can't anticipate?

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
before use

> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> _
> "vegeddabowdit" <vegeddabowdit@hotmail~cold_trail~.com> wrote in
message
> | The subject says it all.
> |
> | When the desktop loads, C:\ opens by itself.
> |
> | I opened the issue at Neowin
> | http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=337740
> |
> | Rather than repeat all the steps tried to solve it (you will see
that
> | all the sensible conventional approaches have failed), it's all
> | documented there.
> |
> | Happened shortly after a clean OS reinstall. Weird.

Hard to say, since you don't specify which of the handful of fixes
listed below worked for you. That list covered several possibilities.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
>> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
>> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
> before use
>>
>> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
>> _
>> "vegeddabowdit" <vegeddabowdit@hotmail~cold_trail~.com> wrote in
> message
>> | The subject says it all.
>> |
>> | When the desktop loads, C:\ opens by itself.
>> |
>> | I opened the issue at Neowin
>> | http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=337740
>> |
>> | Rather than repeat all the steps tried to solve it (you will see
> that
>> | all the sensible conventional approaches have failed), it's all
>> | documented there.
>> |
>> | Happened shortly after a clean OS reinstall. Weird.

Which one worked?

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:23:34 -0700, "vegeddabowdit"
> [...]

>> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
>> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
>before use
>>
>> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
>> _
>> "vegeddabowdit" <vegeddabowdit@hotmail~cold_trail~.com> wrote in
>message
>> | The subject says it all.
>> |
>> | When the desktop loads, C:\ opens by itself.
>> |
>> | I opened the issue at Neowin
>> | http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=337740
>> |
>> | Rather than repeat all the steps tried to solve it (you will see
>that
>> | all the sensible conventional approaches have failed), it's all
>> | documented there.
>> |
>> | Happened shortly after a clean OS reinstall. Weird.

Mine was number 2 delete reg entry for desktop process

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de
Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
Catalog of removal tools (1)
Catalog of removal tools (2)
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use
Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
| Which one worked?
|
| ...Alan
| --
| Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
| http://dts-l.org/index.html
|
| On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:23:34 -0700, "vegeddabowdit"
| <vegeddabowdit@hotmail~cold_trail~.com> wrote:
|
| >I "almost" gave up on a solution, but that worked like a charm.
| >
| >Thanks so much.
| >
| >Suppose I shouldn't push my luck, but I'd sure like to know why it
| >happened in the first place, or is it just one of those one in a million
| >chance quirks that you can't anticipate?
| >
| >"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| >> Here is a post and the answer to it from Alan Edwards, same problem I
| >think,
| >> the solution may be the same, it worked for me. item 2 delete the
| >desktop
| >> process
| >>

| >> --Quote--
| >> It is not even normal for a C:\ window to open at startup in safe
| >mode.
| >> Try these notes I have on file:
| >>

| >> 1. Check Win.ini for odd spaces or unnecessary punctuation (or even a
| >C:\)
| >> in the run= or load= lines.
| >>

| >> 2. Windows Explorer Starts When You Start Your Computer
| >> http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=228502
| >>
| >> Delete the 'DesktopProcess' value from the following registry key:
| >> HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Window­s\CurrentVersion\Explorer
| >>
| >> 3. Delete any C:\Autorun.inf files.
| >>
| >> 4. If you have ever loaded a copy of IE6 that is not the public
| >preview,
| >> then delete the contents of this Registry key:
| >>

| >HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\M­icrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersio­n\Explorer
| >\Res
| >> tartCommands
| >>
| >> ...Alan
| >> --
| >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
| >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

| >> --End Quote--
| >>
| >> --
| >> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
| >> spybot http://security.kolla.de
| >> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
| >> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
| >> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
| >> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
| >> Catalog of removal tools (1)
| >> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
| >> Catalog of removal tools (2)
| >> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
| >> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
| >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
| >> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
| >before use
| >>
| >> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
| >> _
| >> "vegeddabowdit" <vegeddabowdit@hotmail~cold_trail~.com> wrote in
| >message
| >> |
| >> |
| >that
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

Sorry. Thought it was clear my response was a confirmation that the
solution was AlmostBob's suggestion for removing "desktop process" from
the registry.

> Hard to say, since you don't specify which of the handful of fixes
> listed below worked for you. That list covered several possibilities.

Thanks for the feedback.
No, it wasn't clear to me, (and probably Gary), as there were several
possibilities.

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:24:04 -0700, "vegeddabowdit"