Problem when changing X700 back to my 9800 pro 128

PierreC

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I got my 9800 pro 128 back from ati for repair and while it was gone i bought the ati radeon 700x 256m.
Since i have two computers i decided to put the 9800pro back in my other computer witch is a top notch comp. The 700x was running smoothely but when i put the 9800 pro back in my comp the Windows appears but then gradually dissapears and freeze ! I reset and it does the same thing.
Is this a problem of drivers ? ( i dont think so...they both use the same drivers)
Is my 9800 pro still defective ?

Should i reinstall Windows ?

thank you for your help

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
You MUST uninstall the 700x drivers and reinstall for the other card. They are not the same. What you download from ATI does support many cards. but when you run the install it detects the installed card and then installs the appropriate components.

Don't even bother trying to skip the uninstall. Do it right, do it once!

PierreC

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Thanks for the reply sir,

I did uninstall all of the drivers BUT only from the panel "add or delete programs"
I didnt do the way ATI wanted it to be done. LIke clean your Windows regit of all ATI components...

Could it be the problem ?

thanks again..

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Sorry I missed your reply.

Go to the downloads section at ATI and drill down to the drivers section for your card and operating system. You will find an uninstall program there which will take care of it for you.

Since I'm late, have you had any luck yet?

PierreC

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Sir,

Its allright. No rush.

I had to reinstall windows and the card still didnt work. So, obviously it was not a driver's problem. So, when ATI told me that when they send back a card to the customer after repair this one is just like a brand new.....
well this statement is not true !

PierreC

TRENDING THREADS