Maybe something wrong with hard drive?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 11, 2005 11:56:12 AM

My Compaq crashed a while back. Since all Compaq gives you is a Restore CD
and not a system disk, I feel a bit lost. I did the "chat" thing with their
"techs" (more like keyword FAQ retrievers!), and so far have had no luck.
The Restore process gets to the point of "Restore will now check the
partitioning of your hard drive", and hangs - no CD or HD activity, and no
progress on screen.

The original issue was a WIN98SE crash. DOS ScanDisk came up with an
unresolvable long file name. After screwing things up horribly with the
Restore CD, I went for broke. FDisked the drive, deleted all partitions,
reset one active partition, formatted FAT32, for the whole drive.

Or so I thought. The drive is 30GB. Somehow it's only showing as about
20GB. I'm wondering now if this disparity is what's causing the Restore
program to hang. I'm also wondering if I've fragged the drive! ScanDisk
doesn't show any bad sectors on a full surface scan.

All I've got is a Win98SE boot floppy to work with. Any suggestions?
Ed

More about : wrong hard drive

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:23:44 PM

"Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message

> The original issue was a WIN98SE crash. DOS ScanDisk came up with an
> unresolvable long file name. After screwing things up horribly with the
> Restore CD, I went for broke. FDisked the drive, deleted all partitions,
> reset one active partition, formatted FAT32, for the whole drive.
>
> Or so I thought. The drive is 30GB. Somehow it's only showing as about
> 20GB.

If you set the DOS Primary C: to size 30 Gb, this indicates
serious damage to the hard drive. If you made the C: drive
20 Gb and did not create an Extended drive with the rest
of the space, you can still do so with FDISK.

> I'm wondering now if this disparity is what's causing the Restore
> program to hang. I'm also wondering if I've fragged the drive! ScanDisk
> doesn't show any bad sectors on a full surface scan.
>
> All I've got is a Win98SE boot floppy to work with. Any suggestions?

If you have FORMATted C: and have no instal CD you
are out of luck. Rather than buy a new hard drive and
an instal CD you might as well consiider buying another PC.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Don:
> If you set the DOS Primary C: to size 30 Gb, this indicates
> serious damage to the hard drive. If you made the C: drive
> 20 Gb and did not create an Extended drive with the rest
> of the space, you can still do so with FDISK.

I didn't specify the size of the partition. I just told it to use all
available space - or something like that. I'm swimming in very deep waters
without my floaties here! If you have any more specific tips on how to
FDisk, Format, or whatever else to return this drive to out-of-the-box
condition, I'd appreciate it.

> If you have FORMATted C: and have no instal CD you
> are out of luck. Rather than buy a new hard drive and
> an instal CD you might as well consiider buying another PC.

Yeah - a new Dell is only $300. And with XP, I can set permissions and lock
my kids out of anything except their games and NotePad!

Ed
July 11, 2005 3:32:46 PM

From: "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com>

| My Compaq crashed a while back. Since all Compaq gives you is a Restore CD
| and not a system disk, I feel a bit lost. I did the "chat" thing with their
| "techs" (more like keyword FAQ retrievers!), and so far have had no luck.
| The Restore process gets to the point of "Restore will now check the
| partitioning of your hard drive", and hangs - no CD or HD activity, and no
| progress on screen.
|
| The original issue was a WIN98SE crash. DOS ScanDisk came up with an
| unresolvable long file name. After screwing things up horribly with the
| Restore CD, I went for broke. FDisked the drive, deleted all partitions,
| reset one active partition, formatted FAT32, for the whole drive.
|
| Or so I thought. The drive is 30GB. Somehow it's only showing as about
| 20GB. I'm wondering now if this disparity is what's causing the Restore
| program to hang. I'm also wondering if I've fragged the drive! ScanDisk
| doesn't show any bad sectors on a full surface scan.
|
| All I've got is a Win98SE boot floppy to work with. Any suggestions?
| Ed

Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic software
respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard disk is bad or
not..

Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
http://support.wdc.com/download/

Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Seagate - SeaTools
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/

Samsung - Disk manager
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities...

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks, David. I'll let you know what happens.
Ed

> From: "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com>
>
> | My Compaq crashed a while back. Since all Compaq gives you is a Restore
CD
> | and not a system disk, I feel a bit lost. I did the "chat" thing with
their
> | "techs" (more like keyword FAQ retrievers!), and so far have had no
luck.
> | The Restore process gets to the point of "Restore will now check the
> | partitioning of your hard drive", and hangs - no CD or HD activity, and
no
> | progress on screen.
> |
> | The original issue was a WIN98SE crash. DOS ScanDisk came up with an
> | unresolvable long file name. After screwing things up horribly with the
> | Restore CD, I went for broke. FDisked the drive, deleted all
partitions,
> | reset one active partition, formatted FAT32, for the whole drive.
> |
> | Or so I thought. The drive is 30GB. Somehow it's only showing as about
> | 20GB. I'm wondering now if this disparity is what's causing the Restore
> | program to hang. I'm also wondering if I've fragged the drive!
ScanDisk
> | doesn't show any bad sectors on a full surface scan.
> |
> | All I've got is a Win98SE boot floppy to work with. Any suggestions?
> | Ed
> |

> Go to the hard disk manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic
software
> respective to your hard disk. After the test, you will know if the hard
disk is bad or
> not..
>
> Quantum/Maxtor - PowerMax
> http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
>
> Western Digital - Data LifeGuard Tools (DLGDiag)
> http://support.wdc.com/download/
>
> Hitachi/IBM - Drive Fitness Test (DFT)
> http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
>
> Seagate - SeaTools
> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
>
> Fujitsu - Diagnostic Tool
> http://www.fcpa.com/download/hard-drives/
>
> Samsung - Disk manager
> http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities...
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:42:00 PM

Ed, try FDISK again, wipe the existing partitions and adding one Primary
DOS partition of just 8GB (8192 MB). Create an Extended Partition in the
remainder and one or more Volumes in that partition. It's easier to
partition before installing so that CD drives, etc., don't get changed
later. Make sure to say Yes to Large Disk Support when starting FDISK.
Then try running the restore CD.

If that doesn't work, try deleting all partitions and running the
Restore CD *without* first partitioning the HD.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Compaq crashed a while back. Since all Compaq gives you is a
> Restore CD
> and not a system disk, I feel a bit lost. I did the "chat" thing with
> their
> "techs" (more like keyword FAQ retrievers!), and so far have had no
> luck.
> The Restore process gets to the point of "Restore will now check the
> partitioning of your hard drive", and hangs - no CD or HD activity,
> and no
> progress on screen.
>
> The original issue was a WIN98SE crash. DOS ScanDisk came up with an
> unresolvable long file name. After screwing things up horribly with
> the
> Restore CD, I went for broke. FDisked the drive, deleted all
> partitions,
> reset one active partition, formatted FAT32, for the whole drive.
>
> Or so I thought. The drive is 30GB. Somehow it's only showing as
> about
> 20GB. I'm wondering now if this disparity is what's causing the
> Restore
> program to hang. I'm also wondering if I've fragged the drive!
> ScanDisk
> doesn't show any bad sectors on a full surface scan.
>
> All I've got is a Win98SE boot floppy to work with. Any suggestions?
> Ed

July 11, 2005 4:12:53 PM

Gary - Just to make sure I understand everything:

> Ed, try FDISK again, wipe the existing partitions and adding one Primary
> DOS partition of just 8GB (8192 MB). Create an Extended Partition in the
> remainder and one or more Volumes in that partition.

And these all get formatted FAT32? Does the FDisk automatically format on
creation, or do I need to go back to each partition and format separately?

> It's easier to
> partition before installing so that CD drives, etc., don't get changed
> later. Make sure to say Yes to Large Disk Support when starting FDISK.
> Then try running the restore CD.

I wonder if that wasn't a problem - the drive would have been C: and the CD
D:, but the Restore program automatically reformats the drive and creates a
partition, which would have shoved the CD over to E:, and it may not have
been able to find it again.

> If that doesn't work, try deleting all partitions and running the
> Restore CD *without* first partitioning the HD.

Just FDisk, wipe everything, and format, but DON'T set an active partition?

Okay - I'll probably try these tonight when I get home (I'm at work right
now). I'll let you know if things went up in smoke!
Ed

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > My Compaq crashed a while back. Since all Compaq gives you is a
> > Restore CD
> > and not a system disk, I feel a bit lost. I did the "chat" thing with
> > their
> > "techs" (more like keyword FAQ retrievers!), and so far have had no
> > luck.
> > The Restore process gets to the point of "Restore will now check the
> > partitioning of your hard drive", and hangs - no CD or HD activity,
> > and no
> > progress on screen.
> >
> > The original issue was a WIN98SE crash. DOS ScanDisk came up with an
> > unresolvable long file name. After screwing things up horribly with
> > the
> > Restore CD, I went for broke. FDisked the drive, deleted all
> > partitions,
> > reset one active partition, formatted FAT32, for the whole drive.
> >
> > Or so I thought. The drive is 30GB. Somehow it's only showing as
> > about
> > 20GB. I'm wondering now if this disparity is what's causing the
> > Restore
> > program to hang. I'm also wondering if I've fragged the drive!
> > ScanDisk
> > doesn't show any bad sectors on a full surface scan.
> >
> > All I've got is a Win98SE boot floppy to work with. Any suggestions?
> > Ed

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:00:55 PM

"Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o Cc%23KykhFHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Gary - Just to make sure I understand everything:
>
>> Ed, try FDISK again, wipe the existing partitions and adding one
>> Primary
>> DOS partition of just 8GB (8192 MB). Create an Extended Partition in
>> the
>> remainder and one or more Volumes in that partition.
>
> And these all get formatted FAT32? Does the FDisk automatically
> format on
> creation, or do I need to go back to each partition and format
> separately?

Yes, they all get formatted FAT32. The Restore CD reformats C:\ anyway,
but you need to format the other(s)--and no, FDISK doesn't format. You
need to reboot one or more times while FDISKing, then once that's done,
use the Startup floppy to format the partitions.

>> It's easier to
>> partition before installing so that CD drives, etc., don't get
>> changed
>> later. Make sure to say Yes to Large Disk Support when starting
>> FDISK.
>> Then try running the restore CD.
>
> I wonder if that wasn't a problem - the drive would have been C: and
> the CD
> D:, but the Restore program automatically reformats the drive and
> creates a
> partition, which would have shoved the CD over to E:, and it may not
> have
> been able to find it again.

No, I doubt that was the problem. First, if a program is aboe to change
drive letter assignment, or to do anything that would change drive
letter assignment change, there is also logic built in to take that into
account. And you have the progression backwards--a partition gets
created and then formatted. And I'm not certain what you mean about a
new D:\ getting created, unless it's a process similar to that which the
standard Windows Startup disk uses when it assigns the RAM drive the
next available letter and bumps CD and other removable drives up a
letter--that's taken into account.

>> If that doesn't work, try deleting all partitions and running the
>> Restore CD *without* first partitioning the HD.
>
> Just FDisk, wipe everything, and format, but DON'T set an active
> partition?

Yes, use FDISK to wipe all partitions. No, there won't be anything *to*
format at that time. There won't be any Active partition, there won't be
any partitions at all. The idea I've been working off is that the
Restore CD is having trouble either with the C:\ being too large, or
that it *needs* some free, unpartitioned space on the drive to install
one or more hidden partitions, and that if it finds a blank slate it
will proceed to partition the drive as it needs it to be partitioned. On
this premise, the one other thing to try is to only create a C:\ of 8GB,
then leave the rest free for Setup to use. When installation is
finished, go back and use FDSIK to fill in any remaining free space with
an Extended partition and Volumes within. You'd then have to change the
Path to the CD drive(s) in the Registry (an possibly elsewhere) to allow
programs to find it/them. On a fresh installation there aren't many of
these references, so do this step before running any Updates, software
instalaltion, etc., to keep teh changes to a minimum. You can make these
changes manually, or there are freeware apps to do it for you (COA, or
"Change of Address", is one I recall.) Or you can simply wait for such
errors to occur and deal with them then (most apps, including Windows
instalaltion procedures, will let you find the drive when necessary, and
most even remember the new location.)

Couple more ideas:

When you installed this drive, did you run any programs from floppy or
CD to "Set Up" this new hard drive? It may have installed a drive
overlay that you don't need or which the Restore CD can't decipher.

After deleting all partitions using FDISK and *restarting*, run the
following:
fdisk /mbr
Then proceed with whatever scheme you want to try.

Personally, I don't use FDISK. I use BootIt NG, from www.bootitng.com
(or www.terabyteunlimited.com.) It gives a more accurate picture of the
partitioning scheme and is free to use for this one-time purpose (you
pay for it if you need to use the Boot Manager to manage multi-OS
systems.) If you want to go that route, post back for instructions.
Basically, you create the floppy instalaltion disk, then boot to it,
then CANCEL when prompted to install Boot It NG. That drops you into
Maintenance Mode, which gives access to Partition Work.

> Okay - I'll probably try these tonight when I get home (I'm at work
> right
> now). I'll let you know if things went up in smoke!

Hey, if it goes up in smoke, time to buy a new system, right? Only this
time, try not to get a Compaq, <s>.

Good Luck,

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Okay, Gary. Thanks a bunch! I've got the BootIt disk, and I've got your
instructions printed.

> And I'm not certain what you mean about a
> new D:\ getting created, unless it's a process similar to that which the
> standard Windows Startup disk uses when it assigns the RAM drive the
> next available letter and bumps CD and other removable drives up a
> letter--that's taken into account.

When the computer boots off the floppy, it creates a RAM drive with the next
available letter. When the Restore CD runs, it reformats and repartitions
the hard drive, creating a C: primary partition and a D: hidden partition,
in which it hides Restore programs on the hard drive. The computer will
boot to a CD before the A: drive, so I assuming that a restart would delete
the RAM drive, since the floppy isn't being used because its booting from
the CD. If not, though, then it's going to bump the drive letters for the
RAM drive and the CD drive during the repartition. Then again, as you say,
any program that moves drive letters around ought to remember where they
are. (I'll have to remember that if *my* programming skills ever reach that
level!)

> Hey, if it goes up in smoke, time to buy a new system, right? Only this
> time, try not to get a Compaq, <s>.

Not with new Dells at $300!! <G> Christmas in July??

Thanks again.
Ed

> [...]
> fdisk /mbr
> Then proceed with whatever scheme you want to try.
>
> Personally, I don't use FDISK. I use BootIt NG, from www.bootitng.com
> (or www.terabyteunlimited.com.) It gives a more accurate picture of the
> partitioning scheme and is free to use for this one-time purpose (you
> pay for it if you need to use the Boot Manager to manage multi-OS
> systems.) If you want to go that route, post back for instructions.
> Basically, you create the floppy instalaltion disk, then boot to it,
> then CANCEL when prompted to install Boot It NG. That drops you into
> Maintenance Mode, which gives access to Partition Work.
>
> > Okay - I'll probably try these tonight when I get home (I'm at work
> > right
> > now). I'll let you know if things went up in smoke!
>
> Hey, if it goes up in smoke, time to buy a new system, right? Only this

July 11, 2005 6:49:23 PM

> Okay, Gary. Thanks a bunch! I've got the BootIt disk, and I've got
> your
> instructions printed.
>
>> And I'm not certain what you mean about a
>> new D:\ getting created, unless it's a process similar to that which
>> the
>> standard Windows Startup disk uses when it assigns the RAM drive the
>> next available letter and bumps CD and other removable drives up a
>> letter--that's taken into account.
>
> When the computer boots off the floppy, it creates a RAM drive with
> the next
> available letter. When the Restore CD runs, it reformats and
> repartitions
> the hard drive, creating a C: primary partition and a D: hidden
> partition,
> in which it hides Restore programs on the hard drive.

Are you *certain* that the Restore CD creates those partitions? If so,
then you should start with *no* partitioning. I'm not convinced that
that is what it does--I'm thinking that if partition(s) already exist,
it won't mess with them--which is perhaps why it stalls, since there's
no room for teh Hidden partition if you'v already partitioned the drive
entirely using FDISK or whatever.

>The computer will
> boot to a CD before the A: drive, so I assuming that a restart would
> delete
> the RAM drive, since the floppy isn't being used because its booting
> from
> the CD. If not, though, then it's going to bump the drive letters for
> the
> RAM drive and the CD drive during the repartition. Then again, as you
> say,
> any program that moves drive letters around ought to remember where
> they
> are. (I'll have to remember that if *my* programming skills ever
> reach that
> level!)

Yes, a restart destroys the RAM drive. None of this is odd--however I
usually have BIOS check the floppy drive for bootable system before
checking the CDROM drive. Don't worry about drive letters right now. Try
running FDISK to delete all partitions, then after restarting to the
same Windows Startup disk, run FDISK /MBR, then remove the floppy disk,
insert the Restore disk, and restart. See what happens.

>> Hey, if it goes up in smoke, time to buy a new system, right? Only
>> this
>> time, try not to get a Compaq, <s>.
>
> Not with new Dells at $300!! <G> Christmas in July??

I've purchased a few Dells lately--you aren't going to get what you want
for $300, <s>. You're going to want a bit more than that model
offers--of course! My biggest gripe is that, at least with the 3000 and
4700 models, they leave little room, or don't provide the proper
connections or case components, to make later upgrading easy. I built a
pretty nice 4700 for under $1200, a decent enough but limited 3000 for
~$850 (only one DVD-RW/DVD-R/CDRW/CDROM drive, for instance, which makes
disk copying impossible...Very few add-ons, really, but ones that make
the most sense for most people.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Gary, I wonder about that "missing" 10GB. Compaq AFAIK adds a virtual partition
which I believe is hidden that they use for the restore image and such. If this
is the case, would Fdisk be able to dump it in the normal manner?

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

> Ed, try FDISK again, wipe the existing partitions and adding one Primary DOS
> partition of just 8GB (8192 MB). Create an Extended Partition in the remainder
> and one or more Volumes in that partition. It's easier to partition before
> installing so that CD drives, etc., don't get changed later. Make sure to say
> Yes to Large Disk Support when starting FDISK. Then try running the restore
> CD.
>
> If that doesn't work, try deleting all partitions and running the Restore CD
> *without* first partitioning the HD.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> My Compaq crashed a while back. Since all Compaq gives you is a Restore CD
>> and not a system disk, I feel a bit lost. I did the "chat" thing with their
>> "techs" (more like keyword FAQ retrievers!), and so far have had no luck.
>> The Restore process gets to the point of "Restore will now check the
>> partitioning of your hard drive", and hangs - no CD or HD activity, and no
>> progress on screen.
>>
>> The original issue was a WIN98SE crash. DOS ScanDisk came up with an
>> unresolvable long file name. After screwing things up horribly with the
>> Restore CD, I went for broke. FDisked the drive, deleted all partitions,
>> reset one active partition, formatted FAT32, for the whole drive.
>>
>> Or so I thought. The drive is 30GB. Somehow it's only showing as about
>> 20GB. I'm wondering now if this disparity is what's causing the Restore
>> program to hang. I'm also wondering if I've fragged the drive! ScanDisk
>> doesn't show any bad sectors on a full surface scan.
>>
>> All I've got is a Win98SE boot floppy to work with. Any suggestions?
>> Ed

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 8:17:50 PM

They add a partition, yes, but I don't think it's that big. Maybe. My
recollection is that it's in the sub-gigabyte range, but if all apps are
included, perhaps up to a couple of GB. 10 GB sounds outrageous--more
like the total disk size on Compaqs of that era.

I could call a client or three, but it would take most of the rest of
the day to lead them through the steps to find out--yes, that's the type
of clientele I deal with.... (Of course, if my memory wasn't shot all to
blazes, I wouldn't need to call them, now would I?)

I *think* FDISK can get rid of that partition, just as it can be used to
get rid of other non-DOS partitions. But like I say, I don't use FDISK.
I use BING, <s>.

I really think the issue is having used up the entire drive for C:\ in
the first place, leaving the Restore CD no room to create the Hidden
one.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o B$o93lhFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Gary, I wonder about that "missing" 10GB. Compaq AFAIK adds a virtual
> partition which I believe is hidden that they use for the restore
> image and such. If this is the case, would Fdisk be able to dump it in
> the normal manner?
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

>> Ed, try FDISK again, wipe the existing partitions and adding one
>> Primary DOS partition of just 8GB (8192 MB). Create an Extended
>> Partition in the remainder and one or more Volumes in that partition.
>> It's easier to partition before installing so that CD drives, etc.,
>> don't get changed later. Make sure to say Yes to Large Disk Support
>> when starting FDISK. Then try running the restore CD.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, try deleting all partitions and running the
>> Restore CD *without* first partitioning the HD.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> My Compaq crashed a while back. Since all Compaq gives you is a
>>> Restore CD
>>> and not a system disk, I feel a bit lost. I did the "chat" thing
>>> with their
>>> "techs" (more like keyword FAQ retrievers!), and so far have had no
>>> luck.
>>> The Restore process gets to the point of "Restore will now check the
>>> partitioning of your hard drive", and hangs - no CD or HD activity,
>>> and no
>>> progress on screen.
>>>
>>> The original issue was a WIN98SE crash. DOS ScanDisk came up with
>>> an
>>> unresolvable long file name. After screwing things up horribly with
>>> the
>>> Restore CD, I went for broke. FDisked the drive, deleted all
>>> partitions,
>>> reset one active partition, formatted FAT32, for the whole drive.
>>>
>>> Or so I thought. The drive is 30GB. Somehow it's only showing as
>>> about
>>> 20GB. I'm wondering now if this disparity is what's causing the
>>> Restore
>>> program to hang. I'm also wondering if I've fragged the drive!
>>> ScanDisk
>>> doesn't show any bad sectors on a full surface scan.
>>>
>>> All I've got is a Win98SE boot floppy to work with. Any
>>> suggestions?
>>> Ed

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:18:59 AM

I just set my brother up a few weeks ago, with a Dell 4700...
P-IV HT, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD (easy enough to supplement later), DVD-ROM drive, CD_RW
drive, integrated Ethernet, modem, audio and video (with a PCI-E slot for video
upgrades) and some empty PCI slots, USB 2.0 17" CRT monitor, 2-year service
warranty, free shipping, for about $750. He's happy with it, and I see his family
getting a lot of mileage out of it. :-)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> [...]
> insert the Restore disk, and restart. See what happens.
>
> >> Hey, if it goes up in smoke, time to buy a new system, right? Only
> >> this
> >> time, try not to get a Compaq, <s>.
> >
> > Not with new Dells at $300!! <G> Christmas in July??
>
> I've purchased a few Dells lately--you aren't going to get what you want
> for $300, <s>. You're going to want a bit more than that model
> offers--of course! My biggest gripe is that, at least with the 3000 and
> 4700 models, they leave little room, or don't provide the proper
> connections or case components, to make later upgrading easy. I built a
> pretty nice 4700 for under $1200, a decent enough but limited 3000 for
> ~$850 (only one DVD-RW/DVD-R/CDRW/CDROM drive, for instance, which makes
> disk copying impossible...Very few add-ons, really, but ones that make

July 12, 2005 1:19:00 AM

Double the RAM. Exchange the CDRW for a DVD-RW (keep the DVD-ROM for
total of two.) Double the HD capacity, add a digital flat-panel, 128 MG
USB stick *and* floppy drive...a couple of other items that escape my
memory but no extended warranty (bought using AmEx which makes extended
warranties useless unless you really *need* in-house assistance--which
isn't available here anyway, I don't think) -- and CA sales tax (I think
free shipping was one of the promotions).

That's my Mom's new machine, just a bit over $1200 incl. tax. I think
the first thing that elicited a curse was finding only one IDE channel,
meaning that when I put in the old HD to transfer files, it was a bit
more of a hassle that I'd expected. At least they'd left the second HD
enclosure inserted though empty (see below). The reason for the double
RAM (besides the fact that I'm a believer in maxing out RAM!) was that
her primary usage will be Family Tree--massive databases and eventually
a fair amount of image editing (once I teach her how.)

The Dell 3000 was the one that really got me going, what with leaving
out the second HD enclosure. One simple piece of metal that will
probably be impossible to obtain three years from now but without which
it's hard to add an HD. Opted to stick a NIC in the old machine instead.
The owner is highly unlikely to need more than 40 gigs, so it was mostly
a matter of principle. I've also been thinking about this one since I
first mentioned it, and I believe it came in cheaper than I first
said--under $700 including tax & shipping.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
>> disk,
>> insert the Restore disk, and restart. See what happens.

>> > Not with new Dells at $300!! <G> Christmas in July??
>>
>> I've purchased a few Dells lately--you aren't going to get what you
>> want
>> for $300, <s>. You're going to want a bit more than that model
>> offers--of course! My biggest gripe is that, at least with the 3000
>> and
>> 4700 models, they leave little room, or don't provide the proper
>> connections or case components, to make later upgrading easy. I built
>> pretty nice 4700 for under $1200, a decent enough but limited 3000
>> for
>> ~$850 (only one DVD-RW/DVD-R/CDRW/CDROM drive, for instance, which
>> makes
>> disk copying impossible...Very few add-ons, really, but ones that

July 12, 2005 1:22:29 AM

Slip of the keyboard, perhaps? ;-)
Nothing gets "formatted FAT32"....FAT32 is the file system, which is created during
FDISK. Once you reboot, before you get to "Format", the FAT32 file system is
already there. :-)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> snip
> > And these all get formatted FAT32? Does the FDisk automatically
> > format on
> > creation, or do I need to go back to each partition and format
> > separately?
>
> Yes, they all get formatted FAT32. The Restore CD reformats C:\ anyway,
> but you need to format the other(s)--and no, FDISK doesn't format. You
> need to reboot one or more times while FDISKing, then once that's done,
> use the Startup floppy to format the partitions.
> snip
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:22:30 AM

Pick, pick pick! Jeez, I'm having a hard enough time with terminology
here! Good ol' MS and it's "Drives".

But yes, FDISK's choice for all of these will be FAT32 if "Large Disk
Support" is enabled. FORMAT will handle them accordingly, but isn't part
of FDISK.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Slip of the keyboard, perhaps? ;-)
> Nothing gets "formatted FAT32"....FAT32 is the file system, which is
> created during
> FDISK. Once you reboot, before you get to "Format", the FAT32 file
> system is
> already there. :-)
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

>> snip
>> > And these all get formatted FAT32? Does the FDisk automatically
>> > format on
>> > creation, or do I need to go back to each partition and format
>> > separately?
>>
>> Yes, they all get formatted FAT32. The Restore CD reformats C:\
>> anyway,
>> but you need to format the other(s)--and no, FDISK doesn't format.
>> You
>> need to reboot one or more times while FDISKing, then once that's
>> done,
>> use the Startup floppy to format the partitions.
>> snip

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:24:28 AM

Recent Compaqs I have seen (have one at work with XP Home) only use about 2GB-2.5GB
or so for the 'hidden" restore partition, which goes along with your remembrance,
Gary.
--

> They add a partition, yes, but I don't think it's that big. Maybe. My
> recollection is that it's in the sub-gigabyte range, but if all apps are
> included, perhaps up to a couple of GB. 10 GB sounds outrageous--more
> like the total disk size on Compaqs of that era.
>
> I could call a client or three, but it would take most of the rest of
> the day to lead them through the steps to find out--yes, that's the type
> of clientele I deal with.... (Of course, if my memory wasn't shot all to
> blazes, I wouldn't need to call them, now would I?)
>
> I *think* FDISK can get rid of that partition, just as it can be used to
> get rid of other non-DOS partitions. But like I say, I don't use FDISK.
> I use BING, <s>.
>
> I really think the issue is having used up the entire drive for C:\ in
> the first place, leaving the Restore CD no room to create the Hidden
> one.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> news:o B$o93lhFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Gary, I wonder about that "missing" 10GB. Compaq AFAIK adds a virtual
> > partition which I believe is hidden that they use for the restore
> > image and such. If this is the case, would Fdisk be able to dump it in
> > the normal manner?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Brian A. Sesko
> > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Ed, try FDISK again, wipe the existing partitions and adding one
> >> Primary DOS partition of just 8GB (8192 MB). Create an Extended
> >> Partition in the remainder and one or more Volumes in that partition.
> >> It's easier to partition before installing so that CD drives, etc.,
> >> don't get changed later. Make sure to say Yes to Large Disk Support
> >> when starting FDISK. Then try running the restore CD.
> >>
> >> If that doesn't work, try deleting all partitions and running the
> >> Restore CD *without* first partitioning the HD.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS MVP Shell/User
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> >>
> >> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:27:21 AM

:-) *Anything* to make your day more eventful, Mr. T. :-)
Drives, partitions, volumes...Win9x, WinNT/XP. it's enough to drive one higher up
the wall! ;-)
--

> Pick, pick pick! Jeez, I'm having a hard enough time with terminology
> here! Good ol' MS and it's "Drives".
>
> But yes, FDISK's choice for all of these will be FAT32 if "Large Disk
> Support" is enabled. FORMAT will handle them accordingly, but isn't part
> of FDISK.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

> > Slip of the keyboard, perhaps? ;-)
> > Nothing gets "formatted FAT32"....FAT32 is the file system, which is
> > created during
> > FDISK. Once you reboot, before you get to "Format", the FAT32 file
> > system is
> > already there. :-)
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> snip
> >>
> >> Yes, they all get formatted FAT32. The Restore CD reformats C:\
> >> anyway,
> >> but you need to format the other(s)--and no, FDISK doesn't format.
> >> You
> >> need to reboot one or more times while FDISKing, then once that's
> >> done,
> >> use the Startup floppy to format the partitions.
> >> snip

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:36:39 AM

My brother uses Family Tree Maker also, on his Win98SE machine. Dunno if he will
upgrade it and use it on the XP Dell.

Only one IDE channel?? I assume you mean one IDE controller, which has two
channels...primary and secondary? I am also assume that you mean PATA? (The hard
drive is SATA). So, both optical drives are on the same controller as master and
slave, with the hard drive on the SATA controller with its secondary channel
available, right? I have not had my brother's case open yet, so this is good to
know.

We have some Dimension 3000's at work...they run well, but I didn't even consider
them for my brother because they had no available upgrading for video....meaning no
PCI-E or AGP slot, IIRC
--

> [...]
> >> same Windows Startup disk, run FDISK /MBR, then remove the floppy
> >> disk,
> >> insert the Restore disk, and restart. See what happens.

> >> I've purchased a few Dells lately--you aren't going to get what you
> >> want
> >> for $300, <s>. You're going to want a bit more than that model
> >> offers--of course! My biggest gripe is that, at least with the 3000
> >> and
> >> 4700 models, they leave little room, or don't provide the proper
> >> connections or case components, to make later upgrading easy. I built
> >> pretty nice 4700 for under $1200, a decent enough but limited 3000
> >> for
> >> ~$850 (only one DVD-RW/DVD-R/CDRW/CDROM drive, for instance, which
> >> makes
> >> disk copying impossible...Very few add-ons, really, but ones that

July 12, 2005 2:36:40 AM

> My brother uses Family Tree Maker also, on his Win98SE machine. Dunno
> if he will
> upgrade it and use it on the XP Dell.

Haven't really gotten into the most recent version, but it's
installation and structure seemed to be a lot more up to date and
conforming to Windows "standards".

> Only one IDE channel?? I assume you mean one IDE controller, which
> has two
> channels...primary and secondary? I am also assume that you mean
> PATA? (The hard
> drive is SATA). So, both optical drives are on the same controller as
> master and
> slave, with the hard drive on the SATA controller with its secondary
> channel
> available, right? I have not had my brother's case open yet, so this
> is good to
> know.

PATA? Is that what that is? Looked and smelled like IDE. Otherwise, yes:
One PATA controller, Master/Slave, and two SATA controllers.

> We have some Dimension 3000's at work...they run well, but I didn't
> even consider
> them for my brother because they had no available upgrading for
> video....meaning no
> PCI-E or AGP slot, IIRC

Sounds familiar. 3000's seem to be ultra-stripped 4700's. IIRC, you can
make the CPU in a 3000 match the 4700 standard, and you could otherwise
load it up equivalently in power, RAM and storage (though not, as you
point out, video.) Not sure you could cram it all into the case, but if
you could, it would probably melt down in short order.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:07:47 -0700, "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com>

>I didn't specify the size of the partition. I just told it to use all
>available space - or something like that.

Comaq's probably hogging space for stuff that other PC makers would
have stored in a BIOS chip instead. Compaq are like that.

>> If you have FORMATted C: and have no instal CD you
>> are out of luck. Rather than buy a new hard drive and
>> an instal CD you might as well consiider buying another PC.

>Yeah - a new Dell is only $300. And with XP, I can set permissions and lock
>my kids out of anything except their games and NotePad!

From one abusive big-brand OEM to another big-brand OEM. Dell may be
less vicious than Compaq, but I'll bet you get shafted with another
"special" OEM Windows disk, though hopefully it won't chain you to
having to "just" wipe and start over.

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:14:12 AM

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote
in message news:p 6d6d1p4468cmj6g1u7k11gcsnvgp8faoq@4ax.com...
> From one abusive big-brand OEM to another big-brand OEM. Dell may be
> less vicious than Compaq, but I'll bet you get shafted with another
> "special" OEM Windows disk, though hopefully it won't chain you to
> having to "just" wipe and start over.

You don't get a "Restore" CD that restores the OS with a Dell anymore,
at least not in the models we've been discussing. You can restore en
masse from another partition on the drive (which leads to the obvious
problems when a drive goes bad).... and....

There is a relatively hidden app in a new Dell that you use to create a
"Windows Restore" CD or some such. Only reason I found it is that I went
looking for the reason there were no restore-OS CDs, or more accurately,
how to install a clean Windows without all the extras.

Now I know where the app is. You only get one chance to use it--better
hope the burn is good. You can then load the included apps from a CD.
Dell does *nothing* that I have seen to prompt a new user to create that
CD ASAP, a CD which by the way is almost certainly married to that
hardware in all kinds of ways. There is a shortcut in the Programs menu,
a single EXE (I forget what or where), a few mentions in the Dell KB...
That's all I could find, though I readily admit that stopping the
presses to figure this all out on a couple of clients' machines wasn't
really feasible, couldn't "Experience" the new computers.

>>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> The most accurate diagnostic instrument
> in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

What I want on my car's plate if I'm ever allowed to own a car again:
CTRL-Z!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Glen, Gary, and Brian: The 30 GB hard drive is the original one with this
machine. The partition space taken by the Compaq system was about 2.8 GB.

Gary: Using BING as per your suggestions may have paid off. The Restore
program was in progress when I had to leave for work today, so I'll call
home later and see what's up. It appears I may have a slow meltdown on the
drive. Setting an 8GB primary partition seemed to look okay to the Restore
program. Now I just have to wonder how long I have before the rest goes
away!

Ed

> Recent Compaqs I have seen (have one at work with XP Home) only use about
2GB-2.5GB
> or so for the 'hidden" restore partition, which goes along with your
remembrance,
> Gary.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> > They add a partition, yes, but I don't think it's that big. Maybe. My
> > recollection is that it's in the sub-gigabyte range, but if all apps are
> > included, perhaps up to a couple of GB. 10 GB sounds outrageous--more
> > like the total disk size on Compaqs of that era.
> >
> > I could call a client or three, but it would take most of the rest of
> > the day to lead them through the steps to find out--yes, that's the type
> > of clientele I deal with.... (Of course, if my memory wasn't shot all to
> > blazes, I wouldn't need to call them, now would I?)
> >
> > I *think* FDISK can get rid of that partition, just as it can be used to
> > get rid of other non-DOS partitions. But like I say, I don't use FDISK.
> > I use BING, <s>.
> >
> > I really think the issue is having used up the entire drive for C:\ in
> > the first place, leaving the Restore CD no room to create the Hidden
> > one.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> > news:o B$o93lhFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Gary, I wonder about that "missing" 10GB. Compaq AFAIK adds a virtual
> > > partition which I believe is hidden that they use for the restore
> > > image and such. If this is the case, would Fdisk be able to dump it in
> > > the normal manner?
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Brian A. Sesko
> > > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> > > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
> > >

> > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:35:22 PM

If you're wondering about your hard drive, it's already time to replace
it. Have you run manufacturer's diagnostics on the HD?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Glen, Gary, and Brian: The 30 GB hard drive is the original one with
> this
> machine. The partition space taken by the Compaq system was about 2.8
> GB.
>
> Gary: Using BING as per your suggestions may have paid off. The
> Restore
> program was in progress when I had to leave for work today, so I'll
> call
> home later and see what's up. It appears I may have a slow meltdown
> on the
> drive. Setting an 8GB primary partition seemed to look okay to the
> Restore
> program. Now I just have to wonder how long I have before the rest
> goes
> away!
>
> Ed
July 12, 2005 3:26:28 PM

Yes - it's a Quantum (Maxtor), so I ran the PowerMax utility (newest one,
downloaded yesterday). The basic and advanced tests were fine, but it
failed the low level full format. I had it run 10 surface check scans (or
whatever the full scan is), and it passed all those. The SMART test,
though, failed.

BING did do an 8GB partition, which formatted okay. And my daughter is now
running the Restore program to see if it'll fly. If not, I've got an older
3GB drive that I can throw in there just to make things work until I can get
a new drive.

One thing I'm concerned about here, though, is the size of the new drives
and the age of my computer. It's got the AMD K2 at 533 MHZ, with the latest
BIOS update dated July 2000. I don't know if this thing will recognize the
newer drives, which tend to be larger and faster.

Ed

> If you're wondering about your hard drive, it's already time to replace
> it. Have you run manufacturer's diagnostics on the HD?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Glen, Gary, and Brian: The 30 GB hard drive is the original one with
> > this
> > machine. The partition space taken by the Compaq system was about 2.8
> > GB.
> >
> > Gary: Using BING as per your suggestions may have paid off. The
> > Restore
> > program was in progress when I had to leave for work today, so I'll
> > call
> > home later and see what's up. It appears I may have a slow meltdown
> > on the
> > drive. Setting an 8GB primary partition seemed to look okay to the
> > Restore
> > program. Now I just have to wonder how long I have before the rest
> > goes
> > away!
> >
> > Ed

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 4:07:42 PM

SMART test failed in what way? Anyway, Maxtor's warranty on that is
probably three years. Never hurts to run through their online RMA
procedure and find out.

As long as the new drive is an IDE drive, you're probably OK. That
system is new enough that it probably doesn't have any problems with any
size IDE drive, though it would behoove you to find out if any BIOS
upgrades are available (or is that what you meant--that the latest
upgrade *is* the one from 2000?) Only concern I might have is if the
case is already tightly packed--7200 RPM drives do run hotter. Might
want to stick with 5400 RPM, but they are fast becoming hard to find.
8MB cache is kinda nice, too. I'd want to keep the size to 120 GB or
less, not necessarily because of hardware limitation, but also because
of some Win98 limitations. Here's some options, though as you see the
one 5400 that's listed isn't much of a deal.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/catego...

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Yes - it's a Quantum (Maxtor), so I ran the PowerMax utility (newest
> one,
> downloaded yesterday). The basic and advanced tests were fine, but it
> failed the low level full format. I had it run 10 surface check scans
> (or
> whatever the full scan is), and it passed all those. The SMART test,
> though, failed.
>
> BING did do an 8GB partition, which formatted okay. And my daughter
> is now
> running the Restore program to see if it'll fly. If not, I've got an
> older
> 3GB drive that I can throw in there just to make things work until I
> can get
> a new drive.
>
> One thing I'm concerned about here, though, is the size of the new
> drives
> and the age of my computer. It's got the AMD K2 at 533 MHZ, with the
> latest
> BIOS update dated July 2000. I don't know if this thing will
> recognize the
> newer drives, which tend to be larger and faster.
>
> Ed

>> If you're wondering about your hard drive, it's already time to
>> replace
>> it. Have you run manufacturer's diagnostics on the HD?
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Glen, Gary, and Brian: The 30 GB hard drive is the original one
>> > with
>> > this
>> > machine. The partition space taken by the Compaq system was about
>> > 2.8
>> > GB.
>> >
>> > Gary: Using BING as per your suggestions may have paid off. The
>> > Restore
>> > program was in progress when I had to leave for work today, so I'll
>> > call
>> > home later and see what's up. It appears I may have a slow
>> > meltdown
>> > on the
>> > drive. Setting an 8GB primary partition seemed to look okay to the
>> > Restore
>> > program. Now I just have to wonder how long I have before the rest
>> > goes
>> > away!
>> >
>> > Ed

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 4:25:11 PM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:00:55 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune"
>"Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Does the FDisk automatically format on creation?

>FDISK doesn't format. You need to reboot one or more times
>while FDISKing, then once that's done, use the Startup floppy
>to format the partitions.

BootIt NG (BING, from www.bootitng.com) does format as it partitions,
is OK with large sizes, and does a lot more to boot.

FDisk, as Gary says, does not format - though it does corrupt what
would be the new volume it created (that's why you don't use it to try
to recover a lost volume by creating the same volume parameters anew).

Detail on the need to reboot:

FDisk reads the HD master boot record every time it runs, so if you
have to go in and out of FDisk (e.g. "Large HD?" 'Yes' <make FAT32>
then "Large HD?" 'No' <make FAT16> etc.) you do not have to reboot
between each session.

Format does NOT the HD master boot record when it runs; instead, it
goes by what the BIOS found and handed off to the OS when the system
was last booted. So any changes made by subsequent FDisk sessions
will not be seen - and that is why you MUST reboot after FDisk, before
doing any formatting at all. If you don't, the formatting will use
stale partition info and barf everything up!

>>> Make sure to say Yes to Large Disk Support when starting FDISK.

....for FAT32.

Saying No gets you FAT16, which you may want in certain circumstances.

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Bug in haste, debuy with pleasure?
>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
July 12, 2005 4:51:46 PM

Yeah, I was just at Tiger yesterday evaluating my options. Looks like I'm
going to need something sooner rather than later. I just talked to my
daughter and the Restore program is locked in a loop - it asks for the
second CD, then immediately asks for the first on back, then reboots and
starts all over, asking what language, etc.

Time to bury this dead horse, I think. Thanks for all your help.
Ed

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:36:10 PM

You're welcome Ed. Good hunting.