Sign in with
Your question

trouble overclocking p4 northwood

Last response: in Overclocking
May 2, 2006 6:07:17 PM

I have read around pretty much about my problem, but cant seem to find an solution anywhere. So I turn to THG=)

Well. The thing is I have an p4 3GHz northwood and ddr400 RAM and an ABIT Ai7 motherboard.

I can easily put the fsb to 220 without changing vcore or the volt to the RAM. Even at 225 it boots into windows but will not complete e.g. source stresstest.

So I try to use the memorydivider 5:4 to see how far I can take my cpu. But when I use the divider the system wont even post at 220 anymore. Isn't that strange? Shouldn't that make it all alot better (stability wise). I mean that would make my memory run att 352 (rated at 400 but can take 440 as I tested before)

So I tried upper the vcore to 1.6v (from 1.525v) and the ddr to 2.6v (from 2.5v) That didnt work either. So each time I try to use the multiplier I have to reset the CMOS.

Any advise how I should go on without buying new RAM would be apreciated.

Check this thread for more info.. overclock p4
May 2, 2006 6:36:55 PM

anyone?
May 2, 2006 8:29:12 PM

So no one can help me with this??
Related resources
May 4, 2006 7:05:44 AM

First, try lowering the memory timings to 3448. Keep the vcore at 1.6.
Keep uping the fsb until you can't boot into windows, then back off a bit and see if it is stable.
It its a northwood so you should be able to get a decent O/C on it.

EDIT: Just looked at your other post, you're memory seems to be limiting your o/c. Nothing you can really do besides, getting some ddr500.
May 6, 2006 6:43:21 PM

Some people have problems using mem dividers. Some RAM don't seem

to like them being used. :cry: 
May 6, 2006 7:15:51 PM

3Ghz you should be able to get a little OC but then again you might not :)  it all depends on the chip. Mine was +a 2.4Ghz when the 2.8Ghz where the fastest you could buy and I OCed it to 3.2Ghz and later when I got some better ram to 3.4Ghz. I use the stock cooler and my temps are nice. Now for the bad news I had a 1.8Ghz on the 400Mhz bus it simply refuses to OC what so ever... well I can get it to 2Ghz and boot into windows but it crashes on almost anything. Just be carefull and watch those voltages ! Also it helps to have a good power supply.
May 6, 2006 7:54:39 PM

WHOA DO NOT UP VCORE U WILL GET SNDS (sudden Northwood Death Syndrome)

Overclocking early stepping Northwood cores yielded a startling phenomenon. When VCore was increased past 1.7 V, the processor would slowly become more unstable over time, before dying and becoming totally unusable. This is believed to have been caused by the physical phenomenon known as Electromigration, where the internal pathways of the CPU become degraded over time due to excessive electron energy. This was also known as Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome.

Um i have a Northwood P4 2.6ghz but its 800FSB i can easly O/C to 3.0ghz without upping my vcore just have to do it incrementaly (ie 2.8 to 2.9 to 3.0 ect) im running back at 2.65ghz cuz i ran it 3ghz on stock cooling...i got a crazy case Xsaser III annyways after 2hrs of DOD:S she crashed heat and im 2 lazy to buy a Zalman CPU Cooler...
May 6, 2006 8:06:12 PM

I had a 3.0C on a P4P800E Deluxe, 2x256 XMS3700 and cooled by an

XP120. The most i could get out of it stable was 3450..sometimes 3480.

That was at 1.65v. After about 2 months of trying to get higher, with

1.70v, SNDS got me. I had to start dropping FSB everyday, then once

i was only stable at 220....she gave up the ghost. I mourned... then

bought my prescott....much more fun to O/C... but that 3.0C at 3450

3480 was fast. Though my 2.4A is faster in the end, at higher speeds.
August 7, 2006 7:28:53 PM

Ive been running my system for 2 years now @ 1.675V and using Corsair PC3200XL memory @ 1.8V and my system is fine. In computing everything is temperature relative. Chances are my hasnt gotten this problem because Ive been using water cooling the entire time. Theres alot to be said about water. Under loads your temps increase very slowly and drop fast. With air your temps increase very fast and drop slowly. I like water cooling and highly recomend it. For newbies buy something from corsair like the Nautulis 500 because its foolproof and fits every CPU out there. As for overclocking P4s I use Memtest a free program you download and burn to a floppy disc. Then you boot your system and it checks for memory errors. By using this simple method you can find out what the max voltage your memory likes at a given speed. I had some Patriot memory once that didnt like 1.8V, no Mikey only liked 1.7V and overclock great at that setting. Later I bought the Corsair I am currently using and it overclocks to 450mhz @ 1.8V . In the end if you buy cheap you get cheap. If you buy quality it lasts and works better. Once youve figured out your best overclock use the memtest to check for errors and sometimes even one mhz differance can cause errors. Think about it if your memory has errors its going to corrupt your data over time and what good is it is your PC is 500mhz faster if its going to cause data corrution later? Get your best CLEAN overclock then hit it with every benchmark you can to check for stability and if it takes it then thats it you have a succesfully overclocked machine. Then run the Memtest again to make sure its still clean while the memory sticks are nice and hot. If so then youve done great. And if its still leaves you wanting more speed then its a matter of buying new hardware and not being a cheapo. Im selling my tower and building a new one with the D805. Im shooting for 4.7 or better. I wont be buying anything cheap because to hit speeds like this everything has to be top quality. Its a labor of love, and often frustration. Knowlage is Power so read up on all your hardware choices, read reveiws, read forums and at the end of 2 weeks you will know exactly what to buy and what to expect. I know this post is sounding like a frckin lecture but I want to help you guys out there and thats stuff that just cant be said in five words or less. Ive been doing this since '98 and Im 48 yrs old. Yeah an old fart that still likes to overclock and game! Cooling and good hardware are key. Also quality memory is more important than most people think. Thanks for listening to the ramblings of this rocker overclocker! :roll:
August 7, 2006 7:51:48 PM

as you most likly know SPD timings are:
133MHz 2.0,2,2,6
166MHz 2.5,3,3,7
200MHz 3.0,3,3,8
You want to go higher with the 200MHz you will need to set the timings one step higher untill system is stable than oc the system fsb little more, than its time to move one step higher with the ram timing untill you reach the systems fsb speed you are wanting.
August 7, 2006 9:18:30 PM

Quote:
Ive been running my system for 2 years now @ 1.675V and using Corsair PC3200XL memory @ 1.8V and my system is fine. In computing everything is temperature relative. Chances are my hasnt gotten this problem because Ive been using water cooling the entire time. Theres alot to be said about water. Under loads your temps increase very slowly and drop fast. With air your temps increase very fast and drop slowly. I like water cooling and highly recomend it. For newbies buy something from corsair like the Nautulis 500 because its foolproof and fits every CPU out there. As for overclocking P4s I use Memtest a free program you download and burn to a floppy disc. Then you boot your system and it checks for memory errors. By using this simple method you can find out what the max voltage your memory likes at a given speed. I had some Patriot memory once that didnt like 1.8V, no Mikey only liked 1.7V and overclock great at that setting. Later I bought the Corsair I am currently using and it overclocks to 450mhz @ 1.8V . In the end if you buy cheap you get cheap. If you buy quality it lasts and works better. Once youve figured out your best overclock use the memtest to check for errors and sometimes even one mhz differance can cause errors. Think about it if your memory has errors its going to corrupt your data over time and what good is it is your PC is 500mhz faster if its going to cause data corrution later? Get your best CLEAN overclock then hit it with every benchmark you can to check for stability and if it takes it then thats it you have a succesfully overclocked machine. Then run the Memtest again to make sure its still clean while the memory sticks are nice and hot. If so then youve done great. And if its still leaves you wanting more speed then its a matter of buying new hardware and not being a cheapo. Im selling my tower and building a new one with the D805. Im shooting for 4.7 or better. I wont be buying anything cheap because to hit speeds like this everything has to be top quality. Its a labor of love, and often frustration. Knowlage is Power so read up on all your hardware choices, read reveiws, read forums and at the end of 2 weeks you will know exactly what to buy and what to expect. I know this post is sounding like a frckin lecture but I want to help you guys out there and thats stuff that just cant be said in five words or less. Ive been doing this since '98 and Im 48 yrs old. Yeah an old fart that still likes to overclock and game! Cooling and good hardware are key. Also quality memory is more important than most people think. Thanks for listening to the ramblings of this rocker overclocker! :roll:
I had "good" hardware, and the best air cooling at the time(XP-120/104cfm fan),but it was the voltage that killed the chip. This is a well-known problem with Northwoods, not just carelessness. I'm 41 and been messing with computers since '92, so age has nothing to do with it. :wink:
August 7, 2006 9:50:39 PM

My friend, age is more than we think, wise men are old and still making mistakes. Like they say use a 125 volt adapter for a 120v light bulb and see which one last longer.
August 8, 2006 7:19:34 AM

1 Tanker didnt mean to insinuate that you were carless, but rather indicate that maybe my northwood has lasted as long as it has because of the water cooling and the rise and fall speeds of the temperature. The rest was just my methods of overclocking. And to my other friend I agree on all points. You know we peak at intelect and creativity at the age of 22-24 and were too young and stupid or too broke to do anything with it. Its only now that Im seeing life in a different light. In the end its all about the girl anyway. So by the time I hit 50 Ill be kicking it in the Phillipeans with a 25 yr old and trying to drag back a young one. This way I can overclock my life and only be as old as the girl Im with haha. And the best part of it is going to be at the grocery store in line after shopping while some 40 year old nag looks at me with my young bride and rolls her eyes in disgust. :roll: Ill be laughing and saying sorry but all you old biaaaches had your chance and I wasnt rich enough! So chew one this little picture for a while! haha :wink:
!