Laptop keyboard:: standard 101/102 key?

Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key or
Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no numeric pad
keys and only 80-odd keys in total.

I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware and I can't
see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering was
seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)". The
keyboard itself is made by
Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.

Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the correct
keyboard driver.
6 answers Last reply
More about laptop keyboard standard

    You mention seeing two different keyboards, a "101/102 key or Microsoft
    natural keyboard" and a "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)". Are they *both*
    listed in Device Manager?

    My guess is that the "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)" is the built-in laptop
    keyboard, and that the "101/102 key or Microsoft natural keyboard" was
    installed at one time when an external keyboard was attached. My further
    guess is that *if* the latter is the active device, not the 83-key
    drivers, then you aren't getting full use of your built-in keyboard--the
    Function and Numeric Pad are on top of the 83 keys instead of being
    stand-alone, and you need certain hotkeys to be used by the drivers to
    switch keyboard mapping so that Function and Numeric keys can be used.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key or
    > Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no numeric
    > pad
    > keys and only 80-odd keys in total.
    >
    > I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware and I
    > can't
    > see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering was
    > seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)".
    > The
    > keyboard itself is made by
    > Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.
    >
    > Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the correct
    > keyboard driver.

    My new Dell laptop came with the "standard 101/102 key or Microsoft natural
    keyboard". I fresh installed WinXP SP2 and have the same keyboard. I'd say
    you're OK.

    "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key or
    > Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no numeric pad
    > keys and only 80-odd keys in total.
    >
    > I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware and I
    > can't
    > see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering was
    > seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)".
    > The
    > keyboard itself is made by
    > Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.
    >
    > Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the correct
    > keyboard driver.

    No, only the 101/102 keyboard is listed in Device Manager.

    I came across the PC/XT and one PC/AT keyboard under "list all hardware" in
    the "update driver" wizard. All the other listings were clearly
    manufacturers' names and I didn't recognise PC/XT or PC/AT but the fact that
    in brackets is 83 key and 84 key made me start to wonder if I have the right
    driver. By my count, I have 89 keys - a lot less than 101/102 but a
    few more than 84!

    > You mention seeing two different keyboards, a "101/102 key or Microsoft
    > natural keyboard" and a "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)". Are they *both*
    > listed in Device Manager?
    >
    > My guess is that the "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)" is the built-in laptop
    > keyboard, and that the "101/102 key or Microsoft natural keyboard" was
    > installed at one time when an external keyboard was attached. My further
    > guess is that *if* the latter is the active device, not the 83-key
    > drivers, then you aren't getting full use of your built-in keyboard--the
    > Function and Numeric Pad are on top of the 83 keys instead of being
    > stand-alone, and you need certain hotkeys to be used by the drivers to
    > switch keyboard mapping so that Function and Numeric keys can be used.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key or
    > > Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no numeric
    > > pad
    > > keys and only 80-odd keys in total.
    > >
    > > I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware and I
    > > can't
    > > see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering was
    > > seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)".
    > > The
    > > keyboard itself is made by
    > > Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.
    > >
    > > Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the correct
    > > keyboard driver.

    Well, you can download Everest and run it, www.lavalys.com/
    or research the make/model/specs at the manufacturer's site.

    I wouldn't install any other driver than what's in there, it being the
    generic set of drivers that gives basic support, unless you *know* what
    other specific set of drivers is for that keyboard. After all, what you
    have works, just seems to me that it might not have all the
    functionality that you want.

    --

    > No, only the 101/102 keyboard is listed in Device Manager.
    >
    > I came across the PC/XT and one PC/AT keyboard under "list all
    > hardware" in
    > the "update driver" wizard. All the other listings were clearly
    > manufacturers' names and I didn't recognise PC/XT or PC/AT but the
    > fact that
    > in brackets is 83 key and 84 key made me start to wonder if I have the
    > right
    > driver. By my count, I have 89 keys - a lot less than 101/102
    > but a
    > few more than 84!

    >> You mention seeing two different keyboards, a "101/102 key or
    >> Microsoft
    >> natural keyboard" and a "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)". Are they *both*
    >> listed in Device Manager?
    >>
    >> My guess is that the "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)" is the built-in laptop
    >> keyboard, and that the "101/102 key or Microsoft natural keyboard"
    >> was
    >> installed at one time when an external keyboard was attached. My
    >> further
    >> guess is that *if* the latter is the active device, not the 83-key
    >> drivers, then you aren't getting full use of your built-in
    >> keyboard--the
    >> Function and Numeric Pad are on top of the 83 keys instead of being
    >> stand-alone, and you need certain hotkeys to be used by the drivers
    >> switch keyboard mapping so that Function and Numeric keys can be
    >> used.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key
    >> > or
    >> > Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no
    >> > numeric
    >> > pad
    >> > keys and only 80-odd keys in total.
    >> >
    >> > I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware
    >> > and I
    >> > can't
    >> > see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering
    >> > was
    >> > seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)".
    >> > The
    >> > keyboard itself is made by
    >> > Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.
    >> >
    >> > Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the
    >> > correct
    >> > keyboard driver.

    Thanks - I checked a stone-age Toshiba 320 and that too has the same
    keyboard driver. Pity: I was hoping that maybe I'd stumbled across the
    reason for the occasional lock-out when typing. Thanks for checking and
    posting.

    "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    > My new Dell laptop came with the "standard 101/102 key or Microsoft
    natural
    > keyboard". I fresh installed WinXP SP2 and have the same keyboard. I'd
    say
    > you're OK.
    >
    > "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Device Manager lists my laptop keyboard as a "standard 101/102 key or
    > > Microsoft natural keyboard". Nevertheless, there are no numeric
    pad
    > > keys and only 80-odd keys in total.
    > >
    > > I've been through the update driver wizard, listing all hardware and I
    > > can't
    > > see anything obviously more appropriate. What set me wondering was
    > > seeing seeing hardware listings such as "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)".
    > > The
    > > keyboard itself is made by
    > > Chicony - I've looked at their website and found nothing obvious.
    > >
    > > Nevertheless, I'd be grateful for reassurance that I have the correct
    > > keyboard driver.

    Thanks Gary. I've have Everest. I think I must have the right
    driver.

    Thanks.

    Martin

    > Well, you can download Everest and run it, www.lavalys.com/
    > or research the make/model/specs at the manufacturer's site.
    >
    > I wouldn't install any other driver than what's in there, it being the
    > generic set of drivers that gives basic support, unless you *know* what
    > other specific set of drivers is for that keyboard. After all, what you
    > have works, just seems to me that it might not have all the
    > functionality that you want.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > No, only the 101/102 keyboard is listed in Device Manager.
    > >
    > > I came across the PC/XT and one PC/AT keyboard under "list all
    > > hardware" in
    > > the "update driver" wizard. All the other listings were clearly
    > > manufacturers' names and I didn't recognise PC/XT or PC/AT but the
    > > fact that
    > > in brackets is 83 key and 84 key made me start to wonder if I have the
    > > right
    > > driver. By my count, I have 89 keys - a lot less than 101/102
    > > but a
    > > few more than 84!
    > >

    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> You mention seeing two different keyboards, a "101/102 key or
    > >> Microsoft
    > >> natural keyboard" and a "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)". Are they *both*
    > >> listed in Device Manager?
    > >>
    > >> My guess is that the "PC/XT keyboard (83 key)" is the built-in laptop
    > >> keyboard, and that the "101/102 key or Microsoft natural keyboard"
    > >> was
    > >> installed at one time when an external keyboard was attached. My
    > >> further
    > >> guess is that *if* the latter is the active device, not the 83-key
    > >> drivers, then you aren't getting full use of your built-in
    > >> keyboard--the
    > >> Function and Numeric Pad are on top of the 83 keys instead of being
    > >> stand-alone, and you need certain hotkeys to be used by the drivers
    > >> switch keyboard mapping so that Function and Numeric keys can be
    > >> used.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gary S. Terhune
    > >> MS MVP Shell/User
    > >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > >>
    > >> "Martin" <vdp3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Laptops Device Manager Microsoft Hardware Keyboards Windows