IP Addy

Can someone tell me how to get IP from windows 98 Do you go to start then
runbox?
How do you get command box & is it same as XP Pro?" Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig
/all "
I am trying to get a remote connection with a computer in another province
which is windows 98 and mine is xp pro
Is there anything else I might need to connect us together remotely?
Thanks for any help
Bruce
8 answers Last reply
More about addy

    1. You can only make that connection work one way--work on the XP Pro
    system remotely from the Win98 system. You can't access the Win98 system
    remotely from the XP Pro system.

    2. The only thing wrong (I think) with your suggested procedure is that
    there is no CMD in Win98, only COMMAND. But I also think it's
    irrelevant. I don't believe you need that information to use Remote
    Desktop. All you need is the IP of the XP Pro system. Go to that IP, and
    if RD is enabled, you'll be asked to log on as if you were any other
    user of that XP system.

    Looking through the Help on my XP Pro, though, I see that you need to
    have the XP Installation CD in order to install the required components
    to the 98 system. I don't *believe* that you can download this program
    from anywhere else. Need to have the XP Pro (or other eligible systems')
    installation CD on hand.

    Alternatively, you need to set up RD on the XP system to use the "Remote
    Desktop Web Connection", by installing IIS on the XP machine, among
    other things.
    Installing Remote Desktop Web Connection in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284931

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me how to get IP from windows 98 Do you go to start
    > then
    > runbox?
    > How do you get command box & is it same as XP Pro?"
    > Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig
    > /all "
    > I am trying to get a remote connection with a computer in another
    > province
    > which is windows 98 and mine is xp pro
    > Is there anything else I might need to connect us together remotely?
    > Thanks for any help
    > Bruce

    Here you go, Gary --
    Windows XP: Remote Desktop Connection Software Download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > snip
    > Looking through the Help on my XP Pro, though, I see that you need to
    > have the XP Installation CD in order to install the required components
    > to the 98 system. I don't *believe* that you can download this program
    > from anywhere else. Need to have the XP Pro (or other eligible systems')
    > installation CD on hand.
    > snip

    That's a keeper! Must be off my game not to be able to find that... Or
    maybe it was just because I was hungry. That's been fixed, and talking
    about fixed, you should see the stare with which my dog watches me munch
    fries! I try hard not to give in, because when she thinks she gets me
    under her thumb, the demands to go for a walk, along with refusing to
    eat her own food and longing looks towards the leftovers counter, make
    life miserable.

    But I'm never 100% successful

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Here you go, Gary --
    > Windows XP: Remote Desktop Connection Software Download:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

    LOL....I have a hairy old beggar here, who has been spoiled for 14 years now.
    Finally had to get Linda to stop giving him leftovers a few years ago, and got him
    down from 101 lbs. back to his normal 79 lbs.
    --

    > That's a keeper! Must be off my game not to be able to find that... Or
    > maybe it was just because I was hungry. That's been fixed, and talking
    > about fixed, you should see the stare with which my dog watches me munch
    > fries! I try hard not to give in, because when she thinks she gets me
    > under her thumb, the demands to go for a walk, along with refusing to
    > eat her own food and longing looks towards the leftovers counter, make
    > life miserable.
    >
    > But I'm never 100% successful
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User

    > > Here you go, Gary --
    > > Windows XP: Remote Desktop Connection Software Download:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

    Is there an answer to the question in all the dog talk and hairiness?
    It is not possible to access windows 98 from xp pro is that right? thought
    it would be other way around
    please clarify
    > LOL....I have a hairy old beggar here, who has been spoiled for 14 years
    > now.
    > Finally had to get Linda to stop giving him leftovers a few years ago, and
    > got him
    > down from 101 lbs. back to his normal 79 lbs.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    >> That's a keeper! Must be off my game not to be able to find that... Or
    >> maybe it was just because I was hungry. That's been fixed, and talking
    >> about fixed, you should see the stare with which my dog watches me munch
    >> fries! I try hard not to give in, because when she thinks she gets me
    >> under her thumb, the demands to go for a walk, along with refusing to
    >> eat her own food and longing looks towards the leftovers counter, make
    >> life miserable.
    >>
    >> But I'm never 100% successful
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > Here you go, Gary --
    >> > Windows XP: Remote Desktop Connection Software Download:
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

    Yes there's an answer -- What I first wrote, with corrections that
    followed.

    No, you can't access a Win98 system from a WinXP system using Remote
    Desktop. It requires a third-party solution like PCAnywhere. Don't know
    why you'd think otherwise, since the most important part of the deal is
    the target computer's ability to share what's going on, maintain
    security, etc. The system you're sitting at just requires a relatively
    simple GUI to send and receive from the remote system.

    --

    > Is there an answer to the question in all the dog talk and hairiness?
    > It is not possible to access windows 98 from xp pro is that right?
    > thought
    > it would be other way around
    > please clarify
    >> LOL....I have a hairy old beggar here, who has been spoiled for 14
    >> years
    >> now.
    >> Finally had to get Linda to stop giving him leftovers a few years
    >> ago, and
    >> got him
    >> down from 101 lbs. back to his normal 79 lbs.
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> That's a keeper! Must be off my game not to be able to find that...
    >>> Or
    >>> maybe it was just because I was hungry. That's been fixed, and
    >>> talking
    >>> about fixed, you should see the stare with which my dog watches me
    >>> munch
    >>> fries! I try hard not to give in, because when she thinks she gets
    >>> me
    >>> under her thumb, the demands to go for a walk, along with refusing
    >>> eat her own food and longing looks towards the leftovers counter,
    >>> make
    >>> life miserable.
    >>>
    >>> But I'm never 100% successful
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Gary S. Terhune
    >>> MS MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>>
    >>> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

    Sorry for the personal chatter while waiting for you to reply....I thought Gary had
    already made it pretty clear.

    You can use Remote Desktop to CONNECT a computer running any version of Windows TO a
    Windows XP Professional computer, if you install the Remote Desktop Connection
    Software on the computer with the *any* version of Windows.

    The computer being connected TO using Remote Desktop (in other words, the computer
    allowing access to itself FROM another computer) MUST be running XP Pro.

    Remote Assistance is another separate capability, which only works between Windows
    XP computers....either Home or Pro.

    You may be able to use a third-party app if you install it on both
    computers....something like PCAnywhere.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Me2Ewe" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there an answer to the question in all the dog talk and hairiness?
    > It is not possible to access windows 98 from xp pro is that right? thought
    > it would be other way around
    > please clarify
    > > LOL....I have a hairy old beggar here, who has been spoiled for 14 years
    > > now.
    > > Finally had to get Linda to stop giving him leftovers a few years ago, and
    > > got him
    > > down from 101 lbs. back to his normal 79 lbs.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> That's a keeper! Must be off my game not to be able to find that... Or
    > >> maybe it was just because I was hungry. That's been fixed, and talking
    > >> about fixed, you should see the stare with which my dog watches me munch
    > >> fries! I try hard not to give in, because when she thinks she gets me
    > >> under her thumb, the demands to go for a walk, along with refusing to
    > >> eat her own food and longing looks towards the leftovers counter, make
    > >> life miserable.
    > >>
    > >> But I'm never 100% successful
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gary S. Terhune
    > >> MS MVP Shell/User
    > >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > >>
    > >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

    > Can someone tell me how to get IP from windows 98 Do you go to start then
    > runbox?
    > How do you get command box & is it same as XP Pro?" Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig

    Start>Run>winipcfg

    > I am trying to get a remote connection with a computer in another province
    > which is windows 98 and mine is xp pro
    > Is there anything else I might need to connect us together remotely?

    What you need really depends on what you are trying to do after you connect.

Windows 98 IP Command Prompt Windows XP Windows