Noise or Music, depending on your point of view

Here I am on my soapbox !

With all the discussions on landclass, scenery, A/C, weather and traffic
add-ons plus the holy grail, frame rates to enlighten your simming
experience, why do the audible enhancements usually take a back seat?
You can get some amazing aircraft with outstanding VC's, reflective
textures flying out of scenery so real, you can almost see the
McDonald's wrappers flying by in the wind. But when you start to rev up
the engine what do you hear? A 6HP Briggs and Stratton engine, or a
Remington shaver ! I'm guessing that the sound recording of A/C is
probably the hardest to authenticate 'cause you need some pretty
sophisticated recording equipment and a real Plane. There are some
files on Surclaro and AVSIM that do enhance the A/C we fly, and to those
authors I'd like to say a big thanks. I'd love to buy y'all a beer !

Certains things in life go very well together and the sounds of simming
are just as important (to me anyway) as the plethora of eye candy out
there. Download Premiere's DASH8, taxi to the active and turn up the
volume L O U D. Push the throttle and enjoy your flight !

Note to sound recorders :
Please do not include the baby crying in row 6 as I've had my share of
those in my travels, T'would just stir up so many bad memories. --
e v e n S k y

Athalon XP2800
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D
80G H-D
XP, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D
CH yoke n' pedals

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

That's odd you bring this up, there might have been a few times I had my
speaker/headphones cranked when taxiing......

I sometimes listen to music while flying, it's nice, it keeps me uppity. I
still have the motor noise up but it's kinda droned out from listening to
the music.......

You could pretend you're a passenger on row 17 seat A and put on the
headphones and listen to some music and such whilst you pilot the plane
(it's not hard, just use the AP as I do ;) ).

2992

GREGORY

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:57:28 -0500, evenSky <evensky1@hotmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Here I am on my soapbox !
>
>With all the discussions on landclass, scenery, A/C, weather and traffic
>add-ons plus the holy grail, frame rates to enlighten your simming
>experience, why do the audible enhancements usually take a back seat?
>You can get some amazing aircraft with outstanding VC's, reflective
>textures flying out of scenery so real, you can almost see the
>McDonald's wrappers flying by in the wind. But when you start to rev up
>the engine what do you hear? A 6HP Briggs and Stratton engine, or a
>Remington shaver ! I'm guessing that the sound recording of A/C is
>probably the hardest to authenticate 'cause you need some pretty
>sophisticated recording equipment and a real Plane. There are some
>files on Surclaro and AVSIM that do enhance the A/C we fly, and to those
>authors I'd like to say a big thanks. I'd love to buy y'all a beer !

There are sound sets [out there] that are very good.. while others
are loud, distorted, or just plain need help. If you feel like digging
into the Sound.cfg -- here are some useful utilities / apps:

http://www.aircraftmanager.com/index.php ASM

Aircraft Sound Manager has an eval download that can play or test your
engine sounds by moving a slider.. and the N1 is coupled to N2 and it
works impressively (cannot save or create with eval - useful for
playback / test). You can put the contours in a spreadsheet (yep
that's right) and do all kinds of slopes, harmonics, envelopes,
rolloffs, and the stick the data back in Sound.cfg for test `revup'.

Have done this for the triple JT8D sounds and very satisfied with the
results.. but it still needs more tweaking. You can also edit the WAV
files. An example, make warnhorn.wav, warnhorn(-3dB).wav,
warnhorn(-6dB), warnhorn(-12dB).wav, etc.

I use GoldWave for sound editing.. http://www.goldwave.com/

Lastly.. when checking Sound.cfg be sure it conforms to the SDK on a
line-per-line basis.. since a few Sound.cfg files aren't using the
strict formats or conventions (arguments) and the results could be
detrimental. Attention paid to the synthesized sounds like `roll' and
`wind' that have parameters for pitch and amplitude vs speed.

There's plenty of things to do if Sim gets boring sometimes by simply
flying around.. and you'll be glad and excited to develop and test
your own work in MSFS. Some of us are ex-audiophiles or band crew,
and sound editing is fun!! Then crank up the SoundBlaster for the
next Sim.. but don't aggravate the wife / family. :)

-G

>Certains things in life go very well together and the sounds of simming
>are just as important (to me anyway) as the plethora of eye candy out
>there. Download Premiere's DASH8, taxi to the active and turn up the
>volume L O U D. Push the throttle and enjoy your flight !
>
>Note to sound recorders :
>Please do not include the baby crying in row 6 as I've had my share of
>those in my travels, T'would just stir up so many bad memories. --
>e v e n S k y
>
>Athalon XP2800
>1 G Ram
>GeForce FX5900XT
>160G H-D
>80G H-D
>XP, FS9
>Wingman Strike force 3D
>CH yoke n' pedals

GREGORY

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 05:15:35 -0500, "2992" <nope@no_one.com> brought
the following to our attention:

>That's odd you bring this up, there might have been a few times I had my
>speaker/headphones cranked when taxiing......
>
>I sometimes listen to music while flying, it's nice, it keeps me uppity. I
>still have the motor noise up but it's kinda droned out from listening to
>the music.......
>
>You could pretend you're a passenger on row 17 seat A and put on the
>headphones and listen to some music and such whilst you pilot the plane
>(it's not hard, just use the AP as I do ;) ).
>
>2992

The use of headphones in flightsim is certainly a way to get a loud,
more realistic, and immersive experience.. however use caution with
exposure to loud sounds or music over a prolonged period (including
headphones). Permanent ear damage could result such as tinnitus..
which is a chronic ringing, 'jingling of chains', or rushing sound in
the ear. You could also hear speech or remarks that aren't really
there.. or worse become paranoid!! :)-0)

-g

Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 05:15:35 -0500, "2992" <nope@no_one.com> brought
> the following to our attention:
>
>>That's odd you bring this up, there might have been a few times I had
>>my speaker/headphones cranked when taxiing......
>>
>>I sometimes listen to music while flying, it's nice, it keeps me
>>uppity. I still have the motor noise up but it's kinda droned out from
>>listening to the music.......
>>
>>You could pretend you're a passenger on row 17 seat A and put on the
>>headphones and listen to some music and such whilst you pilot the
>>plane (it's not hard, just use the AP as I do ;) ).
>>
>>2992
>>

> The use of headphones in flightsim is certainly a way to get a loud,
> more realistic, and immersive experience.. however use caution with
> exposure to loud sounds or music over a prolonged period (including
> headphones). Permanent ear damage could result such as tinnitus..
> which is a chronic ringing, 'jingling of chains', or rushing sound in
> the ear. You could also hear speech or remarks that aren't really
> there.. or worse become paranoid!! :)-0)
>
> -g

What? Did you say something....drives the mrs c r a z y !

--
e v e n S k y

Athalon XP2800
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D
80G H-D
XP, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D
CH yoke n' pedals

GREGORY

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:48:17 -0500, evenSky <evensky1@hotmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 05:15:35 -0500, "2992" <nope@no_one.com> brought
>> the following to our attention:
>>
>>>That's odd you bring this up, there might have been a few times I had
>>>my speaker/headphones cranked when taxiing......
>>>
>>>I sometimes listen to music while flying, it's nice, it keeps me
>>>uppity. I still have the motor noise up but it's kinda droned out from
>>>listening to the music.......
>>>
>>>You could pretend you're a passenger on row 17 seat A and put on the
>>>headphones and listen to some music and such whilst you pilot the
>>>plane (it's not hard, just use the AP as I do ;) ).
>>>
>>>2992
>>>

>> The use of headphones in flightsim is certainly a way to get a loud,
>> more realistic, and immersive experience.. however use caution with
>> exposure to loud sounds or music over a prolonged period (including
>> headphones). Permanent ear damage could result such as tinnitus..
>> which is a chronic ringing, 'jingling of chains', or rushing sound in
>> the ear. You could also hear speech or remarks that aren't really
>> there.. or worse become paranoid!! :)-0)
>>
>> -g
>>

>What? Did you say something....drives the mrs c r a z y !

eSky.. it's more like.. "did you say something or just mumble?"

-G

dallas

"Gregory"
> You could also hear speech or remarks that aren't really
> there.. or worse become paranoid!!

And what do these voices tell you to do Gregory....

What's the frequency Kenneth?

<G>

Dallas

GREGORY

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:08:24 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Gregory"
>> You could also hear speech or remarks that aren't really
>> there.. or worse become paranoid!!
>
>And what do these voices tell you to do Gregory....

not really voices Dallas.. more like if someone is in the room and you
think they said something but couldn't hear what it was. Then you must
decide whether to ask `what was that?' or simply dismiss it.

-g

so then.. suggest to avoid hanging out around metal dome or
compression drivers (horns) radiating loud rock music!! :)
ask Pete Townsend....

>What's the frequency Kenneth?
>

><G>
>
>Dallas

> The use of headphones in flightsim is certainly a way to get a loud,
> more realistic, and immersive experience.. however use caution with
> exposure to loud sounds or music over a prolonged period (including
> headphones). Permanent ear damage could result such as tinnitus..
> which is a chronic ringing, 'jingling of chains', or rushing sound in
> the ear. You could also hear speech or remarks that aren't really
> there.. or worse become paranoid!! :)-0)

Having spent most of my childhood hanging about small airfields and being
exposed to aero engines for longish periods I now suffer from tinnitus.
Maybe getting this from a flight sim would really be "As real as it gets"
John
PS I aint gonna sue anybody I didn't have to be there.