Can a BIOS update failure damage other components?

Minlack

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Hello. The BIOS update for my ASUS A8N motherboard mucked up, I can't seem to fix it. I'm just wondering if there is any chance of this damaging any other components of my PC? I'm okay with getting a replacment motherboard, I just don't want my CPU or GPU to be damaged.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Personally I think the chance of that is extreemely small. Probably somewhat similar to the possibility of breaking the speed of light before I die.

[hypothetically speaking]
IF for some strange reason there is a strange set of commands that can somehow route 12v down the 1.Xv CPU line (I highly doubt it), and by some strange set of circumstances your failed flash flashed that exact command set as the first commands on the bios... (equally impossible) then there's a possibility of it harming other devices when you tried to boot the failed flash.
[/hypothetically speaking]

Outside of that, no way.

Mike.

oenomel

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I've seen some sites that sell replacement bios chips....personally I've never done it....but the option is there if you want to look for it.

Never even paid attention to prices...but it's out there.

juggernaught

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
No, Not at all. I have an A8N-E and having rushed into it sooner I should of read the note saying to update the chipset first b4 updating the BIOS. Well, you win some you lose some. Doesn't hurt at the moment. All the BIOS does is boot up the computer and tells the cpu what is hardwired to the motherboard (Basically) BIOS is also updateable (As you know) but (I just wanted to make this clear for all reading it. Not just you)
But the CMOS is where you save the backup and the BIOS is what it is......
A.... Basic Input/Output System.
All things on the motherboard should be ok to use in something else.

Kindest of regards :)

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
If its only the BIOS that's mucked up.......here in Taiwan, there are dedicated Asus service centers where you can take your Asus board in and they'll flash it for you for $200 NT ($6.25 USD) on the spot.
Maybe Asus service centers are your best bet and see if they provide such services in your area.
Same goes for other major brand boards - Gigabyte, Epox, DFI, MSI, etc.

Minlack

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
If its only the BIOS that's mucked up.......here in Taiwan, there are dedicated Asus service centers where you can take your Asus board in and they'll flash it for you for $200 NT ($6.25 USD) on the spot.
Maybe Asus service centers are your best bet and see if they provide such services in your area.
Same goes for other major brand boards - Gigabyte, Epox, DFI, MSI, etc.

Nothing so convenient here in the UK. On the ASUS website in the support section, the only things we have is Notebook Support, and a link to buy ASUS stuff. I've sent an e-mail to Global Support and i'm gonna wait to hear back from that.

EDIT: There's a global location in the UK...so hopefully I'll get someone who can read my e-mail. ASUS support can't be as bad as DELL's.