Display Adapter - Update Drivers Yes/No ?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 12, 2005 1:21:31 AM

Hello,
Need help not sure if I should try to update display adapter drivers for
98SE ? The MB is a ASUS P4SGX-MX, Celeron 2000Ghz. I have the support CD
and I'm currently using the software & driver pkgs on from the support CD.
This is the stats for the main drivers for super vga display.

Product: SiS 650
Software: VS. 2.12
Driver VS: 2.12
12-02-2002
Chipset: SIS 650GX
SIS 962L
VGA SIS Real256 Graphics

Driver: sisgl.dll - Super VGA OpenGL ICD
File Date: 12/2/2002 4:47 PM
Company Name: Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation
File Version: 4.13.01.2120
Driver: sisdx32.dll - Super VGA DirectX Driver 32 Bit
File Date: 11/21/2002 11:00 AM
Company Name: Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation
File Version: 4.13.01.2120
Driver: sisdx.dll - Super VGA DirectX Driver 16 Bit
File Date: 11/21/2002 11:01 AM
Company Name: Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation
File Version: 4.13.01.2120
Driver: sisgr.vxd - Virtual Display Minidriver
File Date: 11/28/2002 3:14 PM
Company Name: Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation
File Version: 4.13.01.2120
Driver: sisgr.drv - Super VGA Display Driver
File Date: 11/28/2002 3:17 PM
Company Name: Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation
File Version: 4.13.01.2120

I was initially dual booting, I also had Win-XP Prof. The drivers for
Win-XP were always right-on, the pkg. for 98-SE shows up as *Compatible*
when you install and I don't have many settings for 98-SE in comparison to
Win-XP, many functions just arn't available, etc...

I would like to update the drivers for the display adapter, however I'm very
confused as to what I should download. I don't want to do the entire pkg.
since it's a compatible pkg.

I'm nervous about this... because I was not smart and took the one driver
that was offered once and it totally crashed the puter, actually the
monitor, not the puter. After, the monitor was *out-of-range* and I
couldn't see the desktop of course. And, it took me 3 days to get the timing
right to get into safe mode and fix the problem.

Should I get the driver update from ASUS vs. the SIS site.... if I go to
ASUS, they are displayed on my MB site which is, link to the ASUS
P4SGX-MX.....
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Model...... I'm
not sure and possibly, I'm already using the best drivers??

I've went to SIS site and click on downloads, highlight display, choose 98SE
and SIS 650 and it seems I'm already using the best drivers for 98SE,
however my drivers are from Dec. 2002, therefore seem old, but then 98SE has
been around since 1999.

I would appreciate guidance, and if I should update, which is the best
compatable pick !! I downloaded an entire pkg. approx. 1 year ago from SIS,
it was drivers and the the software. Unfortunately, I had the same problem
that I experienced at Windows Update.... monitor *out of range*, bad
problem!! The driver that is at Windows Update, I have looked at iit's
stats and it is older than the one I'm using, however I learned the hard
way, after the fact.

Thank you,

Star
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 12, 2005 4:21:20 AM

The updated SIS650GX chipset can be obtained here:
http://www.sis.com/download/download_step1.php

You can also try:
SiS Chipset Identification Online Utility
http://www.sis.com/support/support_prodid.htm

The SiS Online Chipset Identification System helps you to identify the chipset
model of your SiS-based system. By using this tool, it will direct you to
download the correct driver for your needs.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> P4SGX-MX.....
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Model...... I'm
> not sure and possibly, I'm already using the best drivers??
>
> I've went to SIS site and click on downloads, highlight display, choose 98SE
> and SIS 650 and it seems I'm already using the best drivers for 98SE,
> however my drivers are from Dec. 2002, therefore seem old, but then 98SE has
> been around since 1999.
>
> I would appreciate guidance, and if I should update, which is the best
> compatable pick !! I downloaded an entire pkg. approx. 1 year ago from SIS,
> it was drivers and the the software. Unfortunately, I had the same problem
> that I experienced at Windows Update.... monitor *out of range*, bad
> problem!! The driver that is at Windows Update, I have looked at iit's
> stats and it is older than the one I'm using, however I learned the hard

July 12, 2005 6:49:50 AM

Brian,
Like I mentioned, I previously had both 98SE & W-XP. I've been to the SIS
site and I have done the chip identification tool in the past.... but not
w/the install of Win that I currently have. Unfortunately I'm having trouble
running the activeX controls at this time. Tried earlier today. I removed
the controls from the Downloaded Program flldr, two controls are placed by
SIS, both controls remove, but one w/message *unable to unregister*,
possibly it never registered, cause SIS kept repeatedly telling me to
install the tool, probably because it *never installed completely*. I
never rec'd the security messages that you get for activeX downloads.

I did do the one step, since I have the MB book.

This is my problem, 650GX is for W-XP, mine is identified as Product: SiS
650, Chip M650 Rev 00, this is the **Display advanced settings**, SiS info
pkg.

In the Device Mgr. also it is listed as SiS 650. I've learned this, 98SE
does not like 650GX, and like I mentioned the Sis 650 was installed from the
MB CD. Yes, in W-XP it showed up as 650GX and I had neat stuff and plenty
of controls, I hardly have nada in 98SE, just Gamma & Video basically. Now,
I hope you can understand why I'm confused and don't update the display
adapter ??

I'm lost on this... I have brought up the Display Drivers on both the SiS &
ASUS sites and I look for 650 not 650GX, and it appears I'm stuck w/what I
have. I do see my driver pkg. and it is truly identified differently than
the others!! I did download 1 yr. ago the newest 650GX pkg. from SIS, the
install went well, restart the puter and the monitor is out of range. Why
would the monitor be out of range and go dark, because the driver is wrong,
correct ???

If you can help me more would appreciate, I know not to go for the 650GX but
I would think I could get a newer driver than Dec. 2002, more thoughts pls.

Star

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > I've went to SIS site and click on downloads, highlight display, choose
98SE
> > and SIS 650 and it seems I'm already using the best drivers for 98SE,
> > however my drivers are from Dec. 2002, therefore seem old, but then 98SE
has
> > been around since 1999.
> >
> > I would appreciate guidance, and if I should update, which is the best
> > compatable pick !! I downloaded an entire pkg. approx. 1 year ago from
SIS,
> > it was drivers and the the software. Unfortunately, I had the same
problem
> > that I experienced at Windows Update.... monitor *out of range*, bad
> > problem!! The driver that is at Windows Update, I have looked at iit's
> > stats and it is older than the one I'm using, however I learned the hard

Related resources
July 12, 2005 1:20:15 PM

PCR Pro,
Pls. give me some feedback regarding my display adapter, can you pls. read
this post and the other post I wrote in this thread.

Thank, Star.

Thanks, Star
> [...]
>
> I've went to SIS site and click on downloads, highlight display, choose
98SE
> and SIS 650 and it seems I'm already using the best drivers for 98SE,
> however my drivers are from Dec. 2002, therefore seem old, but then 98SE
has
> been around since 1999.
>
> I would appreciate guidance, and if I should update, which is the best
> compatable pick !! I downloaded an entire pkg. approx. 1 year ago from
SIS,
> it was drivers and the the software. Unfortunately, I had the same
problem
> that I experienced at Windows Update.... monitor *out of range*, bad
> problem!! The driver that is at Windows Update, I have looked at iit's
> stats and it is older than the one I'm using, however I learned the hard

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 12, 2005 6:14:58 PM

| Need help not sure if I should try to update display adapter drivers
for
| 98SE ?

I've read through them a couple of times & must conclude the matter is
best left in Brian A.'s hands or in the hands of someone else who's been
through it. I only have a SoftPaq from Compaq to use when I want to play
with my Video Adapter. It's uninstallable in Add/Remove Programs &
reinstalled with a click. STILL...

It sounds to me you are a SiS 650, at least on the Win98 side, if the
SiS info package & MSInfo32 said so. The site said you have the latest
drivers. So, that is that. Likely, they did not update them further
(beyond 2002) to provide the options/functionality you get on the XP
side. You don't want to grab something wrong & end up with monitor *out
of range* errors again.

| I've been to the SIS
| site and I have done the chip identification tool in the past.... but
not
| w/the install of Win that I currently have. Unfortunately I'm having
trouble
| running the activeX controls at this time. Tried earlier today. I
removed
| the controls from the Downloaded Program flldr, two controls are
placed by
| SIS, both controls remove, but one w/message *unable to unregister*,
| possibly it never registered, cause SIS kept repeatedly telling me to
| install the tool, probably because it *never installed completely*.
| never rec'd the security messages that you get for activeX downloads.

I don't know. You already did what I would try. Now, I'm offline &
cannot click...

• Web Pages with ActiveX Controls Are Not Displayed Properly
(240897) - When you view a Web site that contains an ActiveX control,
you may experience any of the following symptoms: You are not prompted
to download and install the control.A red X is displayed where the
control should appear.You receive script errors...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240897

• Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
(283807) - When you open a Web page, one or more pictures (graphics or
images) may not be displayed. Instead, a red X, or a placeholder, may
appear in place of the images. This behavior can occur if one of the
following conditions is true: The Web page...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283807

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
| > and SIS 650 and it seems I'm already using the best drivers for
98SE,
| > however my drivers are from Dec. 2002, therefore seem old, but then
98SE
| has
| > been around since 1999.
| >
| > I would appreciate guidance, and if I should update, which is the
best
| > compatable pick !! I downloaded an entire pkg. approx. 1 year ago
from
| SIS,
| > it was drivers and the the software. Unfortunately, I had the same
| problem
| > that I experienced at Windows Update.... monitor *out of range*, bad
| > problem!! The driver that is at Windows Update, I have looked at
iit's
| > stats and it is older than the one I'm using, however I learned the

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 12, 2005 6:43:29 PM

I don't see anything very relevant in those two articles I posted.
http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=... MSKB
Search "ActiveX" does come up with about 20 articles. Perhaps go see.

Could be something wrong with the SiS site, too. Are you set for
"Medium" at "Internet Options, Security tab, Internet Zone"?

--
| | Need help not sure if I should try to update display adapter drivers
| for
| | 98SE ?
|
| I've read through them a couple of times & must conclude the matter is
| best left in Brian A.'s hands or in the hands of someone else who's
been
| through it. I only have a SoftPaq from Compaq to use when I want to
play
| with my Video Adapter. It's uninstallable in Add/Remove Programs &
| reinstalled with a click. STILL...
|
| It sounds to me you are a SiS 650, at least on the Win98 side, if the
| SiS info package & MSInfo32 said so. The site said you have the latest
| drivers. So, that is that. Likely, they did not update them further
| (beyond 2002) to provide the options/functionality you get on the XP
| side. You don't want to grab something wrong & end up with monitor
*out
| of range* errors again.
|
| | I've been to the SIS
| | site and I have done the chip identification tool in the past....
but
| not
| | w/the install of Win that I currently have. Unfortunately I'm having
| trouble
| | running the activeX controls at this time. Tried earlier today. I
| removed
| | the controls from the Downloaded Program flldr, two controls are
| placed by
| | SIS, both controls remove, but one w/message *unable to unregister*,
| | possibly it never registered, cause SIS kept repeatedly telling me
| | install the tool, probably because it *never installed completely*.
| | never rec'd the security messages that you get for activeX
downloads.

| I don't know. You already did what I would try. Now, I'm offline &
| cannot click...
|
| • Web Pages with ActiveX Controls Are Not Displayed Properly
| (240897) - When you view a Web site that contains an ActiveX control,
| you may experience any of the following symptoms: You are not prompted
| to download and install the control.A red X is displayed where the
| control should appear.You receive script errors...
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240897
|
| • Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
| (283807) - When you open a Web page, one or more pictures (graphics or
| images) may not be displayed. Instead, a red X, or a placeholder, may
| appear in place of the images. This behavior can occur if one of the
| following conditions is true: The Web page...
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283807
....snip
July 12, 2005 11:10:28 PM

Hi PCR Pro, thanks for coming to this thread!!

Never have I had ActiveX problems, downloading the controls. I suspected
something wrong at the SIS site and I did a contact form to the webmaster to
inquire about it. I did Goggle searches about errors removing ActiveX
control errors, *unable to unregister from Windows* is what mine said, but
it did remove. I checked them out thoroughly, the dependent files for the
controls. The main one is the C:\Windows\SiS0000.inf. This is a big file,
I reviewed yesterday and just moments ago. At the bottom section, it has
device description and a list of vendors, for ASUS it is SIS 650, for other
manufs., I saw 650GX. The MB manual clearly reads
Chipset: SIS 650GX
SIS 962L
VGA SIS Real256 Graphics

So, I removed the ActiveX controls like I mentioned and did scanreg /restore
to the morning boot. I don't think those puppies installed completely and
that is why one didn't unregister.

news:o %23XUVGxhFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I don't see anything very relevant in those two articles I posted.
> http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=... MSKB
> Search "ActiveX" does come up with about 20 articles. Perhaps go see.
>
> Could be something wrong with the SiS site, too. Are you set for
> "Medium" at "Internet Options, Security tab, Internet Zone"?

I have IE locked up pretty tight, it's my only browser and I utilize my
*safe zone*, settings are low only in safe zone, if I want a activeX
control, I simply put the site in my *safe zone*.

Oh, I did search about ActiveX too at Microsoft, all the error messages,
except for yesterday, have been totally successful w/ActiveX, I do think
it's the SiS site. I was going to try again, but decided not to. The chipset
identification tool just gives me the same info as I can read myself in the
System Info tool, plus all the info is in the display/settings tab/advanced,
I have a SIS info tab that also gives the info.

To suddenly have out of range after installing display software and drivers
and restarting, surely must mean that the drivers are wrong, correct ? I
reverted back and I was fine again. For sure, I don't need that!!

Thanks PCR Pro

Star

> [...]
> downloads.
> |
> | I don't know. You already did what I would try. Now, I'm offline &
> | cannot click...
> |
> | . Web Pages with ActiveX Controls Are Not Displayed Properly
> | (240897) - When you view a Web site that contains an ActiveX control,
> | you may experience any of the following symptoms: You are not prompted
> | to download and install the control.A red X is displayed where the
> | control should appear.You receive script errors...
> | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240897
> |
> | . Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
> | (283807) - When you open a Web page, one or more pictures (graphics or
> | images) may not be displayed. Instead, a red X, or a placeholder, may
> | appear in place of the images. This behavior can occur if one of the
> | following conditions is true: The Web page...

July 12, 2005 11:50:19 PM

PCR,
> | Need help not sure if I should try to update display adapter drivers
> for
> | 98SE ?
>
> I've read through them a couple of times & must conclude the matter is
> best left in Brian A.'s hands or in the hands of someone else who's been
> through it. I only have a SoftPaq from Compaq to use when I want to play
> with my Video Adapter. It's uninstallable in Add/Remove Programs &
> reinstalled with a click. STILL...
>
> It sounds to me you are a SiS 650, at least on the Win98 side, if the
> SiS info package & MSInfo32 said so. The site said you have the latest
> drivers. So, that is that. Likely, they did not update them further
> (beyond 2002) to provide the options/functionality you get on the XP
> side. You don't want to grab something wrong & end up with monitor *out
> of range* errors again.

****** If you go here, no rush
http://www.sis.com/download/

This is the SiS 1-2-3 page, no activeX controls required. Anyway after you
do the 1-2-3, you see these software/driver pkgs.
File info.

*** 650_221_win98me.zip
Version
v2.21
Release date
2003-11-18
Product supported
SiS651, SiS650, SiS740, SiS650GL, SiSM650, SiS650GX,
File size
20,452KB
OS supported
Windows 98 SE, Windows 98, Windows ME,

** The one above may work, what are your thoughts...
** The one below, is a no go, It's the one that put the monitor out of
range, looking at the file name, I'm pretty sure that it was the zip file I
downloaded.

Anyway, maybe the right thing to do is nothing!!

*** SiS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver
File name
uvga3_367.zip
Version
v3.67
Release date
2005-04-15
Product supported
SiSM650, SiS760, SiS741GX, SiS740, SiS741, SiS651, SiS650GX, SiS650GL,
SiS650, SiSM741, SiSM661MX, SiSM661FX,
File size
16,546KB
OS supported
Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98 SE, Windows 98, Windows XP
64-Bit Edition,

Thanks again, I'm not sure even on the 1st entry, specifically it is for
W98, 98SE & ME, however.

Star

> [...]
> | > and SIS 650 and it seems I'm already using the best drivers for
> 98SE,
> | > however my drivers are from Dec. 2002, therefore seem old, but then
> 98SE
> | has
> | > been around since 1999.
> | >
> | > I would appreciate guidance, and if I should update, which is the
> best
> | > compatable pick !! I downloaded an entire pkg. approx. 1 year ago
> from
> | SIS,
> | > it was drivers and the the software. Unfortunately, I had the same
> | problem
> | > that I experienced at Windows Update.... monitor *out of range*, bad
> | > problem!! The driver that is at Windows Update, I have looked at
> iit's
> | > stats and it is older than the one I'm using, however I learned the

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 3:28:07 AM

> I've read through them a couple of times & must conclude the matter is
> best left in Brian A.'s hands or in the hands of someone else who's been
> through it.

Star only wants you PCR. IIC you are always requested with starry eyes.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 4:02:30 AM

> Brian,
> Like I mentioned, I previously had both 98SE & W-XP. I've been to the SIS
> site and I have done the chip identification tool in the past.... but not
> w/the install of Win that I currently have. Unfortunately I'm having trouble
> running the activeX controls at this time. Tried earlier today. I removed
> the controls from the Downloaded Program flldr, two controls are placed by
> SIS, both controls remove, but one w/message *unable to unregister*,
> possibly it never registered, cause SIS kept repeatedly telling me to
> install the tool, probably because it *never installed completely*. I
> never rec'd the security messages that you get for activeX downloads.
>
> I did do the one step, since I have the MB book.
>
> This is my problem, 650GX is for W-XP, mine is identified as Product: SiS
> 650, Chip M650 Rev 00, this is the **Display advanced settings**, SiS info
> pkg.
>
> In the Device Mgr. also it is listed as SiS 650. I've learned this, 98SE
> does not like 650GX, and like I mentioned the Sis 650 was installed from the
> MB CD. Yes, in W-XP it showed up as 650GX and I had neat stuff and plenty
> of controls, I hardly have nada in 98SE, just Gamma & Video basically. Now,
> I hope you can understand why I'm confused and don't update the display
> adapter ??

You shouldn't be confused. XP and 98 are different birds of a feather and will
have different configs/options/settings. An updated driver may or may not
provide more options, yet it may have a fix for an issue for the prior
chip/adapter driver version. If you're having problems with newer drivers
another thing to look into is the BIOS ver., some newer driver updates may also
require an updated BIOS.

> I'm lost on this... I have brought up the Display Drivers on both the SiS &
> ASUS sites and I look for 650 not 650GX, and it appears I'm stuck w/what I
> have. I do see my driver pkg. and it is truly identified differently than
> the others!! I did download 1 yr. ago the newest 650GX pkg. from SIS, the
> install went well, restart the puter and the monitor is out of range. Why
> would the monitor be out of range and go dark, because the driver is wrong,
> correct ???
>
> If you can help me more would appreciate, I know not to go for the 650GX but
> I would think I could get a newer driver than Dec. 2002, more thoughts pls.

The drivers at Asus and SIS are dated 2004.

The drivers at the link I provided are the drivers for your integrated
graphics. Driver packages may, will and do many times include drivers for
multiple chips and OS's. That is why it is always very important to read the
installation instructions provided by the manufacturer, also included in most
downloads, definitely included in the Asus and SIS d/l's.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/
July 13, 2005 2:37:31 PM

Thanks Brian for further input,
<snip>
> You shouldn't be confused. XP and 98 are different birds of a feather and
will
> have different configs/options/settings. An updated driver may or may not
> provide more options, yet it may have a fix for an issue for the prior
> chip/adapter driver version. If you're having problems with newer drivers
> another thing to look into is the BIOS ver., some newer driver updates may
also
> require an updated BIOS.

*** I have never updated the BIOS on this celeron 4 machine. I've been
looking at the MB book and it does give me info and directions on how to do
this. I do note a **warning** only update the BIOS if you are having
trouble w/MB ?? However, I have the directions to save the my current Bios
and can revert back if something goes wrong!! It will be my first time
doing this so I will be nervous!! I've learned much from this newsgroup,
however some tasks and TS come easier than others for me. I'm really not a
hands-on TS, hate inside the case TS, but will TS OS problems, partition and
install OS, drivers and can within my limitations reasonably tweak Windows.
Also Brian this is not my first experience w/SiS chipsets, had them also on
my Celeron 3 Jetway MB, SiS 630 display chipset and the audio chip is the
sameone I had on the Jetway, 7012. However, never had a problem updating the
display adapter, but the MB capacitors leaked and the MB was replaced and
the CPU.

> > I'm lost on this... I have brought up the Display Drivers on both the
SiS &
> > ASUS sites and I look for 650 not 650GX, and it appears I'm stuck w/what
> > have. I do see my driver pkg. and it is truly identified differently
than
> > the others!! I did download 1 yr. ago the newest 650GX pkg. from SIS,
the
> > install went well, restart the puter and the monitor is out of range.
Why
> > would the monitor be out of range and go dark, because the driver is
wrong,
> > correct ???
> >
> > If you can help me more would appreciate, I know not to go for the 650GX
but
> > I would think I could get a newer driver than Dec. 2002, more thoughts
pls.

> The drivers at Asus and SIS are dated 2004.

Using the 1-2-3 @ SiS, I get these pkgs., neither are 2004. The last one I
tried maybe a yr. ago and it appeared to go great until I restarted and I
had monitor out of range. Yes, they are huge integrated pkgs. and it's like
using the support CD, and there is not really much for the user to do except
direct Win to the 98SE and ME combined driver fldr.

[...]

What about after what appears a successful install, the puter restarts and
the *monitor is out of range* ?? That is so.o.o nasty and I've just
determined that it was cuz the drivers were wrong, pls. comment ??

> The drivers at the link I provided are the drivers for your integrated
> graphics. Driver packages may, will and do many times include drivers for
> multiple chips and OS's. That is why it is always very important to read
the
> installation instructions provided by the manufacturer, also included in
most
> downloads, definitely included in the Asus and SIS d/l's.

*** Could I do this, do you recommend. Let's say, I do the big download of
the 1st pkg. Could I do just a driver update via the Device Mgr. by using
update driver and browse and manually just install the drivers. Wouldn't
this work for me instead of uninstalling what I have and installing the
entire software as well as the drivers, pls. comment ? I can be fine with
the s/w I have but would just like the newer drivers.

Thank you kindly,
Star

> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
July 13, 2005 3:07:30 PM

Brian,
I've been coming to this ng for a mighty long time and I appreciate all the
help I've rec'd here. Actually, I do have a fondness for many MVP's in the
group and other regulars that help me, including PCR.

PCR Pro has always stepped up to the the plate for me, he understands me
when sometimes I'm not clear. Starry eyes, now that's a good one... however,
it's simply appreciation!!

> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> > I've read through them a couple of times & must conclude the matter is
> > best left in Brian A.'s hands or in the hands of someone else who's been
> > through it.
>
> Star only wants you PCR. IIC you are always requested with starry eyes.
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 3:41:59 PM

Rule number two for flashing BIOS (rule #1 is "If it ain't broke...")

Make sure you have the system on a well charged, tested, dependable
battery backup UPS. If the operation is interrupted for *any* reason,
the BIOS chip is toast--you would need to find someone with a bench
setup to reprogram it or simply purchase another. I've had it happen to
me. Puts a real damper on the party. Only positive side was that the
newer BIOS chip actually worked better.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> *** I have never updated the BIOS on this celeron 4 machine. I've been
> looking at the MB book and it does give me info and directions on how
> to do
> this. I do note a **warning** only update the BIOS if you are having
> trouble w/MB ?? However, I have the directions to save the my current
> Bios
> and can revert back if something goes wrong!! It will be my first
> time
> doing this so I will be nervous!! I've learned much from this
> newsgroup,
> however some tasks and TS come easier than others for me. I'm really
> not a
> hands-on TS, hate inside the case TS, but will TS OS problems,
> partition and
> install OS, drivers and can within my limitations reasonably tweak
> Windows.
> Also Brian this is not my first experience w/SiS chipsets, had them
> also on
> my Celeron 3 Jetway MB, SiS 630 display chipset and the audio chip is
> the
> sameone I had on the Jetway, 7012. However, never had a problem
> updating the
> display adapter, but the MB capacitors leaked and the MB was replaced
> and
> the CPU.
July 13, 2005 4:43:59 PM

Thxs Gary,
I know that this is a *dangerous/risky and I did mention my nervousness. My
BIOS has EZ Flash and Crash Free BIOS feature. However, I don't believe
Crash Free, not with the obvious warnings given. I am not rushing into this
experience and I don't welcome it for my life. I wish I had you here to do
it for me. The instructions are well written in MB book... I did watch
someone do the BIOS update for my old Jetway MB. I was very nervous then
and I was only watching. The Jetway had to be replaced, had leaking
capacitors!!

BIOS chip toast... is that the worst that could happen, approx. what does a
BIOS chip cost, and of course, no BIOS chip, no boot to Win. OS and you are
left w/unusable machine??

Thxs., Star

> Rule number two for flashing BIOS (rule #1 is "If it ain't broke...")
>
> Make sure you have the system on a well charged, tested, dependable
> battery backup UPS. If the operation is interrupted for *any* reason,
> the BIOS chip is toast--you would need to find someone with a bench
> setup to reprogram it or simply purchase another. I've had it happen to
> me. Puts a real damper on the party. Only positive side was that the
> newer BIOS chip actually worked better.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
> > *** I have never updated the BIOS on this celeron 4 machine. I've been
> > looking at the MB book and it does give me info and directions on how
> > to do
> > this. I do note a **warning** only update the BIOS if you are having
> > trouble w/MB ?? However, I have the directions to save the my current
> > Bios
> > and can revert back if something goes wrong!! It will be my first
> > time
> > doing this so I will be nervous!! I've learned much from this
> > newsgroup,
> > however some tasks and TS come easier than others for me. I'm really
> > not a
> > hands-on TS, hate inside the case TS, but will TS OS problems,
> > partition and
> > install OS, drivers and can within my limitations reasonably tweak
> > Windows.
> > Also Brian this is not my first experience w/SiS chipsets, had them
> > also on
> > my Celeron 3 Jetway MB, SiS 630 display chipset and the audio chip is
> > the
> > sameone I had on the Jetway, 7012. However, never had a problem
> > updating the
> > display adapter, but the MB capacitors leaked and the MB was replaced
> > and
> > the CPU.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 4:57:11 PM

> BIOS chip toast... is that the worst that could happen, approx. what
> does a
> BIOS chip cost, and of course, no BIOS chip, no boot to Win. OS and
> you are
> left w/unusable machine??

I don't *think* there is anything worse that *might* happen when
flashing a BIOS. And I don't recall how much for the MR BIOS replacement
I got--that was before I even got involved in newsgroups. Easy enough to
Google it, though.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| > I've read through them a couple of times & must conclude the matter
is
| > best left in Brian A.'s hands or in the hands of someone else who's
been
| > through it.
|
| Star only wants you PCR. IIC you are always requested with starry
eyes.

Well, stick around to pick up the pieces, just in case I wreck her
machine. I'm going to pull the fixes from your posts, anyhow!

| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko
| { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://basconotw.mvps.org/

July 13, 2005 5:32:34 PM

Thxs Gary, I am going to check out the cost, the terrible inconvenience of
toasting the BIOS chip I guess is the worst becuse until it is taken care of
the puter is toast!! I will let someone experienced do the task!!
Eventually, I may take this task on to grow in experience, but, for sure,
not anxious for the experience!!

Thxs, Star

> "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
> > BIOS chip toast... is that the worst that could happen, approx. what
> > does a
> > BIOS chip cost, and of course, no BIOS chip, no boot to Win. OS and
> > you are
> > left w/unusable machine??
>

> I don't *think* there is anything worse that *might* happen when
> flashing a BIOS. And I don't recall how much for the MR BIOS replacement
> I got--that was before I even got involved in newsgroups. Easy enough to
> Google it, though.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 5:59:27 PM

You are welcome.

| So, I removed the ActiveX controls like I mentioned and did scanreg
/restore
| to the morning boot. I don't think those puppies installed completely
and
| that is why one didn't unregister.

It could be as you say. It was looking for something to remove from the
Registry but couldn't find it. I'm thinking...

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q249873
Explanation of Regsvr32 Usage and Error Messages

....is involved, & the Key it is looking at is possibly...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Known
DLLs

Does it still happen? When? Does the sit work? Might be best to await a
response from SiS.

--
> [...]
| control, I simply put the site in my *safe zone*.
|
| Oh, I did search about ActiveX too at Microsoft, all the error
messages,
| except for yesterday, have been totally successful w/ActiveX, I do
think
| it's the SiS site. I was going to try again, but decided not to. The
chipset
| identification tool just gives me the same info as I can read myself
in the
| System Info tool, plus all the info is in the display/settings
tab/advanced,
| I have a SIS info tab that also gives the info.
|
| To suddenly have out of range after installing display software and
drivers
| and restarting, surely must mean that the drivers are wrong, correct ?
| reverted back and I was fine again. For sure, I don't need that!!

| > |
| > | I've read through them a couple of times & must conclude the
matter is
| > | best left in Brian A.'s hands or in the hands of someone else
who's
| > been
| > | through it. I only have a SoftPaq from Compaq to use when I want
| > play
| > | with my Video Adapter. It's uninstallable in Add/Remove Programs &
| > | reinstalled with a click. STILL...
| > |
| > | It sounds to me you are a SiS 650, at least on the Win98 side, if
the
| > | SiS info package & MSInfo32 said so. The site said you have the
latest
| > | drivers. So, that is that. Likely, they did not update them
further
| > | (beyond 2002) to provide the options/functionality you get on the
XP
| > | side. You don't want to grab something wrong & end up with monitor
| > *out
| > | of range* errors again.
| > |
| > but
| > | not
| > | trouble
| > | removed
| > | placed by
| > downloads.
| > |
| > | I don't know. You already did what I would try. Now, I'm offline &
| > | cannot click...
| > |
| > | . Web Pages with ActiveX Controls Are Not Displayed Properly
| > | (240897) - When you view a Web site that contains an ActiveX
control,
| > | you may experience any of the following symptoms: You are not
prompted
| > | to download and install the control.A red X is displayed where the
| > | control should appear.You receive script errors...
| > | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240897
| > |
| > | . Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
| > | (283807) - When you open a Web page, one or more pictures
(graphics or
| > | images) may not be displayed. Instead, a red X, or a placeholder,
may
| > | appear in place of the images. This behavior can occur if one of
the
| > | following conditions is true: The Web page...
| > | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283807
| > ...snip

July 13, 2005 5:59:28 PM

PCR Pro,

I did get a reply from the webmaster early today.... I went to the site
again last pm and the home page wasn't coming down to me like it normally
does. They are having problems w/auto-detect activeX tool!! It was cool,
they responded to me!!
(see below too)
<snip>

> It could be as you say. It was looking for something to remove from the
> Registry but couldn't find it. I'm thinking...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q249873
> Explanation of Regsvr32 Usage and Error Messages

*** The link above, I found... it's technical jargon is hard for me to
understand, can grasp only a little on the page right now, I will go back
again and truly focus.

> ...is involved, & the Key it is looking at is possibly...
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Known
> DLLs

*** Cool... followed the path to above key.... this is my key info
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\KnownDLL
s]
"DIGSIG"="DIGSIG.DLL"
"KERNEL32"="KERNEL32.DLL"
"USER32"="USER32.DLL"
"GDI32"="GDI32.DLL"
"WOW32"="WOW32.DLL"
"WINMM"="WINMM.DLL"
"WINNT"="WINNT.DLL"
"RPCRT4"="RPCRT4.DLL"
"ADVAPI32"="ADVAPI32.DLL"
"COMDLG32"="COMDLG32.DLL"
"CRTDLL"="CRTDLL.DLL"
"SHELL32"="SHELL32.DLL"
"SHSCRAP"="SHSCRAP.DLL"
"LZ32"="LZ32.DLL"
"OLECLI32"="OLECLI32.DLL"
"OLESVR32"="OLESVR32.DLL"
"VERSION"="VERSION.DLL"
"COMCTL32"="COMCTL32.DLL"
"MSNP32"="MSNP32.DLL"
"NWNP32"="NWNP32.DLL"
"MPR"="MPR.DLL"
"MPRSERV"="MPRSERV.DLL"
"MSSHRUI"="MSSHRUI.DLL"
"MSNET32"="MSNET32.DLL"
"NWNET32"="NWNET32.DLL"
"MSPWL32"="MSPWL32.DLL"
"OLE32"="OLE32.DLL"
"OLEAUT32"="OLEAUT32.DLL"
"OLEDLG"="OLEDLG.DLL"
"OLETHK32"="OLETHK32.DLL"
"NETBIOS"="NETBIOS.DLL"
"MSAB32"="MSAB32.DLL"
"NWAB32"="NWAB32.DLL"
"SVRAPI"="SVRAPI.DLL"
"CHOOSUSR"="CHOOSUSR.DLL"
"SYNCUI"="SYNCUI.DLL"
"LINKINFO"="LINKINFO.DLL"
"MSVCRT20"="MSVCRT20.DLL"
"RICHED32"="RICHED32.DLL"
"WINSPOOL"="WINSPOOL.DRV"
"MFC30"="MFC30.DLL"
"MFCUIA32"="MFCUIA32.DLL"
"MFCANS32"="MFCANS32.DLL"
"NTDLL"="NTDLL.DLL"
"RASAPI32"="RASAPI32.DLL"
"TAPI32"="TAPI32.DLL"
"UMDM32"="UMDM32.DLL"
"SHDOCVW"="SHDOCVW.DLL"
"SHLWAPI"="SHLWAPI.DLL"
"WININET"="WININET.DLL"
"URLMON"="URLMON.DLL"
"IMAGEHLP"="IMAGEHLP.DLL"
"NETAPI32"="NETAPI32.DLL"
"MSRATING"="MSRATING.DLL"
"MSVCRT40"="MSVCRT40.DLL"
"MFC40"="MFC40.DLL"
"RSABASE"="RSABASE.DLL"
"WINTRUST"="WINTRUST.DLL"
"MSVCRT"="MSVCRT.DLL"
"SYNCENG"="SYNCENG.DLL"
"RNAP"="RNAP.DLL"
"RNATHUNK"="RNATHUNK.DLL"
"RNAUI"="RNAUI.DLL"
"RNASERV"="RNASERV.DLL"

*** Some of these dll's I'm familiar with, are these all the registered
dll's on my puter?

PCR, I don't understand this very well, downloaded activeX controls usually
go in downloaded programs fldr. They are usually dependant upon an .inf
file where obviously they get the info. How do these controls register
themselves in the registry, how can I see the ones I have, what is the
path/key to follow? I only have 4 controls Windows Update, Media player 9,
Call Wave, and Flash player..

> Does it still happen? When? Does the sit work? Might be best to await a
> response from SiS.

The SiS site also has a 1-2-3 user interface, no activeX control used on the
page. Since I know my actual chipset I can use this user interface instead
of. In another post I copied the 2 offerings, the first one may be *right*
it has a 2003 date. I wrote in another post in this thread and copied the
file info.

I haven't tried to do the auto-detect tool again at SIS, I'm not sure if
it's working correctly and then I have to remove the activeX controls and do
a dos scanreg /restore again to the morning boot.

Star

> [...]
> | control, I simply put the site in my *safe zone*.
> |
> | Oh, I did search about ActiveX too at Microsoft, all the error
> messages,
> | except for yesterday, have been totally successful w/ActiveX, I do
> think
> | it's the SiS site. I was going to try again, but decided not to. The
> chipset
> | identification tool just gives me the same info as I can read myself
> in the
> | System Info tool, plus all the info is in the display/settings
> tab/advanced,
> | I have a SIS info tab that also gives the info.
> |
> | To suddenly have out of range after installing display software and
> drivers
> | and restarting, surely must mean that the drivers are wrong, correct ?
> | reverted back and I was fine again. For sure, I don't need that!!

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 5:59:42 PM

Hey, I wasn't trying to scare you or anything--it's relatively
straight-forward to perform. You just want to make sure there's a good
UPS supporting it.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Thxs Gary, I am going to check out the cost, the terrible
> inconvenience of
> toasting the BIOS chip I guess is the worst becuse until it is taken
> care of
> the puter is toast!! I will let someone experienced do the task!!
> Eventually, I may take this task on to grow in experience, but, for
> sure,
> not anxious for the experience!!
>
> Thxs, Star

>> "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
>> > BIOS chip toast... is that the worst that could happen, approx.
>> > what
>> > does a
>> > BIOS chip cost, and of course, no BIOS chip, no boot to Win. OS and
>> > you are
>> > left w/unusable machine??
>>

>> I don't *think* there is anything worse that *might* happen when
>> flashing a BIOS. And I don't recall how much for the MR BIOS
>> replacement
>> I got--that was before I even got involved in newsgroups. Easy enough
>> Google it, though.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 6:30:14 PM

Well, I see the two packages at that site. It seems to be the same site
Brian A. posted, though I get a blank page when I click his. Just as you
say, nothing has been added to "Downloaded Program Files". I guess that
only happens if one clicks "Identify the model number of SiS products,"
which I hesitate to do. It did once say you were SiS650. Didn't it also
say you had the latest drivers? But, you say your drivers are dated
2002?

You took v3.67 (2005-04-15), & it turned out bad. Though it states "OS
supported: Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98 SE, Windows
98, Windows XP 64-Bit Edition", perhaps it is more geared toward XP.

It sounds like the other is worth a try... v2.21... "OS supported:
Windows 98 SE, Windows 98, Windows ME", BUT let it be on Brian A.'s
head, if it blows you up!

--
> [...]
or
| > images) may not be displayed. Instead, a red X, or a placeholder,
may
| > appear in place of the images. This behavior can occur if one of the
| > following conditions is true: The Web page...
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283807
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
| > | PCR Pro,
| > | Pls. give me some feedback regarding my display adapter, can you
pls.
| > read
| > | this post and the other post I wrote in this thread.
| > |
| > | Thanks, Star
| > | "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
| > for
| > support CD
| > support CD.

| > for
| > *Compatible*
| > comparison to

| > I'm
| > | very
| > entire pkg.

| > driver
| > the
| > | timing

| > go to
ASUS

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Model......
| > | I'm

| > choose
| > | 98SE
| > 98SE,
| > 98SE
| > | has

| > best
| > from
| > | SIS,
| > | problem
| > iit's
| > hard

| > |
| > |

July 13, 2005 6:30:15 PM

Good, you were able to get to the 1-2-3 page, yes... something must of been
wrong at SiS, because Brian's link was to the 1-2-3 page, but like you
mentioned, the page was blank. And, if you hit refresh, still blank w/no
errors, very strange!!
(see below too)!!

> Well, I see the two packages at that site. It seems to be the same site
> Brian A. posted, though I get a blank page when I click his. Just as you
> say, nothing has been added to "Downloaded Program Files". I guess that
> only happens if one clicks "Identify the model number of SiS products,"
> which I hesitate to do. It did once say you were SiS650. Didn't it also
> say you had the latest drivers? But, you say your drivers are dated
> 2002?
>
> You took v3.67 (2005-04-15), & it turned out bad. Though it states "OS
> supported: Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98 SE, Windows
> 98, Windows XP 64-Bit Edition", perhaps it is more geared toward XP.
>
> It sounds like the other is worth a try... v2.21... "OS supported:
> Windows 98 SE, Windows 98, Windows ME", BUT let it be on Brian A.'s
> head, if it blows you up!

*** PCR, I will download the first pkg. tonight, it's a big download. Read
the recent posts I've made and others have made. The 1st pkg. has a file
size of 20,452KB, the second one for all OS's is 16,546KB and I'm sure that
is why I chose it.

I asked Brian about this.... after the download, which is s/w and drivers,
etc... What... if I don't install the s/w, what use the Device Mgr. and just
update the drivers, using the drivers from my download ? This way, I don't
have to uninstall the s/w pkg. I have, but I will have more current drivers,
can this work, never have tried to do the display adapter via the Device
Mgr.

Also, tell me briefly more about monitor out of range, as soon as I reverted
back to the s/w and drivers on MB cd I was fine again ? It also happened
after I downloaded the display driver from Windows Update, this is not a
experience you want even if you can get to the boot menu easily!!

Regarding the BIOS update, I am not real open because of warnings, I may ask
someone to do it for me, the directions seem easy enough, however toasting
the BIOS chip is much worse than monitor out of range!!

Thank you, Star

> [...]
> | > cannot click...
> | >
> | > . Web Pages with ActiveX Controls Are Not Displayed Properly
> | > (240897) - When you view a Web site that contains an ActiveX
> control,
> | > you may experience any of the following symptoms: You are not
> prompted
> | > to download and install the control.A red X is displayed where the
> | > control should appear.You receive script errors...
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240897
> | >
> | > . Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
> | > (283807) - When you open a Web page, one or more pictures (graphics
> or
> | > images) may not be displayed. Instead, a red X, or a placeholder,
> may
> | > appear in place of the images. This behavior can occur if one of the
> | > following conditions is true: The Web page...

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 6:33:39 PM

And I was just about to start practicing my I do's & I don't's!

--
| Brian,
| I've been coming to this ng for a mighty long time and I appreciate
all the
| help I've rec'd here. Actually, I do have a fondness for many MVP's in
the
| group and other regulars that help me, including PCR.
|
| PCR Pro has always stepped up to the the plate for me, he understands
me
| when sometimes I'm not clear. Starry eyes, now that's a good one...
however,
| it's simply appreciation!!
|
| Star
|
| "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > > I've read through them a couple of times & must conclude the
matter is
| > > best left in Brian A.'s hands or in the hands of someone else
who's been
| > > through it.
| >
| > Star only wants you PCR. IIC you are always requested with starry
eyes.

| > --
| >
| > Brian A. Sesko
| > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| > Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > http://basconotw.mvps.org/

July 13, 2005 6:33:40 PM

He-he-he,
I suppect that your I don't's list is the largest, too bad for me and any
other girl, oh well!!

Star

> And I was just about to start practicing my I do's & I don't's!
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
> | Brian,
> | I've been coming to this ng for a mighty long time and I appreciate
> all the
> | help I've rec'd here. Actually, I do have a fondness for many MVP's in
> the
> | group and other regulars that help me, including PCR.
> |
> | PCR Pro has always stepped up to the the plate for me, he understands
> me
> | when sometimes I'm not clear. Starry eyes, now that's a good one...
> however,
> | it's simply appreciation!!
> |
> | Star
> |
> | "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> | > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> matter is
> who's been
> | >
> | > Star only wants you PCR. IIC you are always requested with starry
> eyes.
> | >

> | > --
> | >
> | > Brian A. Sesko
> | > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> | > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> | > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | > http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 9:07:51 PM

"Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Brian for further input,
> <snip>
>> You shouldn't be confused. XP and 98 are different birds of a feather and
> will
>> have different configs/options/settings. An updated driver may or may not
>> provide more options, yet it may have a fix for an issue for the prior
>> chip/adapter driver version. If you're having problems with newer drivers
>> another thing to look into is the BIOS ver., some newer driver updates may
> also
>> require an updated BIOS.
>>
> *** I have never updated the BIOS on this celeron 4 machine.

And you don't want to if not necessary. I see Gary has summed it up in a
nutshell, so I'll leave it at that.

> Why
>> > would the monitor be out of range and go dark, because the driver is
> wrong,
>> > correct ???

My first thoughts would be corrupted drivers, bad install or incompatibility.

>> > If you can help me more would appreciate, I know not to go for the 650GX
> but
>> > I would think I could get a newer driver than Dec. 2002, more thoughts
> pls.
>>
>> The drivers at Asus and SIS are dated 2004.
>
> Using the 1-2-3 @ SiS, I get these pkgs., neither are 2004.

My bad, you're right, they're dated 2003 & 2005.

> What about after what appears a successful install, the puter restarts and
> the *monitor is out of range* ?? That is so.o.o nasty and I've just
> determined that it was cuz the drivers were wrong, pls. comment ??

See above.

>> The drivers at the link I provided are the drivers for your integrated
>> graphics. Driver packages may, will and do many times include drivers for
>> multiple chips and OS's. That is why it is always very important to read
> the
>> installation instructions provided by the manufacturer, also included in
> most
>> downloads, definitely included in the Asus and SIS d/l's.
>
> *** Could I do this, do you recommend. Let's say, I do the big download of
> the 1st pkg. Could I do just a driver update via the Device Mgr. by using
> update driver and browse and manually just install the drivers. Wouldn't
> this work for me instead of uninstalling what I have and installing the
> entire software as well as the drivers, pls. comment ?

As I mentioned, read the installation instructions provided with the d/l, you
have less of a chance for problems then. Even though your chipset is an SIS,
since Asus has the drivers you may want to go that route first. After all, they
should know what drivers to use on their mobos.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 11:11:17 PM

Ah, ha, ha. No, I just mean a boy can't be too careful standing before a
priest. Just ask Colorado! For a thousand years he had to squeeze his
toothpaste just right after that! Every time!

--
| He-he-he,
| I suppect that your I don't's list is the largest, too bad for me and
any
| other girl, oh well!!
|
| Star

| > And I was just about to start practicing my I do's & I don't's!
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
| > | Brian,
| > | I've been coming to this ng for a mighty long time and I
appreciate
| > all the
| > | help I've rec'd here. Actually, I do have a fondness for many
MVP's in
| > the
| > | group and other regulars that help me, including PCR.
| > |
| > | PCR Pro has always stepped up to the the plate for me, he
understands
| > me
| > | when sometimes I'm not clear. Starry eyes, now that's a good
one...
| > however,
| > | it's simply appreciation!!
| > |
| > | Star
| > |
| > | "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| > matter is
| > who's been

| > eyes.

lacks.

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 11:39:16 PM

| Good, you were able to get to the 1-2-3 page, yes... something must
of been
| wrong at SiS, because Brian's link was to the 1-2-3 page, but like you
| mentioned, the page was blank. And, if you hit refresh, still blank
w/no
| errors, very strange!!
| (see below too)!!

Right. It must depend upon some tie to the parent page. Now that I've
even been to the page through the parent, I still can't go directly
there, even offline out of TIFs.

| *** PCR, I will download the first pkg. tonight, it's a big download.
Read
| the recent posts I've made and others have made. The 1st pkg. has a
file
| size of 20,452KB

Eee-Yowww! Let me go look again... "File size: 20,452KB ", it says. Good
lord! I think you should do a full system backup before trying it.
Something that huge can be trouble.

....snip

| I asked Brian about this.... after the download, which is s/w and
drivers,
| etc... What...

If it isn't horribly long, post the readme Brian A. spoke of.

| if I don't install the s/w, what use the Device Mgr. and just
| update the drivers, using the drivers from my download ? This way, I
don't
| have to uninstall the s/w pkg. I have, but I will have more current
drivers,
| can this work, never have tried to do the display adapter via the
Device
| Mgr.

That's an idea, but there is no telling whether it is more than just
driver files involved. Perhaps the installation needs to add to the
Registry or replace/add .dll's or who knows what?

| Also, tell me briefly more about monitor out of range, as soon as I
reverted
| back to the s/w and drivers on MB cd I was fine again ? It also
happened
| after I downloaded the display driver from Windows Update, this is not
| experience you want even if you can get to the boot menu easily!!

I was mussed too by taking drivers from there. "Out of range", I read,
means the adapter didn't know where the monitor was to write on it.

| Regarding the BIOS update, I am not real open because of warnings, I
may ask
| someone to do it for me, the directions seem easy enough, however
toasting
| the BIOS chip is much worse than monitor out of range!!

I did it twice. It's quick, a minute or so. (I do have a UPS now, but
not back then.) Better have the right one, & pray there isn't a scratch
on the floppy, is all. (Back then, I didn't know of the danger.)

| Thank you, Star
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
....snip
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 14, 2005 12:19:20 AM

| PCR Pro,
|
| I did get a reply from the webmaster early today.... I went to the
site
| again last pm and the home page wasn't coming down to me like it
normally
| does. They are having problems w/auto-detect activeX tool!! It was
cool,
| they responded to me!!

Ah, good. It was them, not your machine, then.

| (see below too)
| <snip>
|
| > It could be as you say. It was looking for something to remove from
the
| > Registry but couldn't find it. I'm thinking...
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;Q249873
| > Explanation of Regsvr32 Usage and Error Messages
|
| *** The link above, I found... it's technical jargon is hard for me to
| understand, can grasp only a little on the page right now, I will go
back
| again and truly focus.

I've looked at it 7 times now. You will go batty after the 5th!

| > ...is involved, & the Key it is looking at is possibly...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Known
| > DLLs
|
| *** Cool... followed the path to above key.... this is my key info
| REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Know
nDLL
| s]
| "DIGSIG"="DIGSIG.DLL"
| "KERNEL32"="KERNEL32.DLL"
| "USER32"="USER32.DLL"
| "GDI32"="GDI32.DLL"
| "WOW32"="WOW32.DLL"
| "WINMM"="WINMM.DLL"
| "WINNT"="WINNT.DLL"
| "RPCRT4"="RPCRT4.DLL"
| "ADVAPI32"="ADVAPI32.DLL"
| "COMDLG32"="COMDLG32.DLL"
| "CRTDLL"="CRTDLL.DLL"
| "SHELL32"="SHELL32.DLL"
| "SHSCRAP"="SHSCRAP.DLL"

Seems we both have a "SHSCRAP.DLL" in there. So, it must be normal. I
guess one sad MS programmer was "overdue" in the middle of his
assignment!

| "LZ32"="LZ32.DLL"
| "OLECLI32"="OLECLI32.DLL"
| "OLESVR32"="OLESVR32.DLL"
| "VERSION"="VERSION.DLL"
| "COMCTL32"="COMCTL32.DLL"
| "MSNP32"="MSNP32.DLL"
| "NWNP32"="NWNP32.DLL"
| "MPR"="MPR.DLL"
| "MPRSERV"="MPRSERV.DLL"
| "MSSHRUI"="MSSHRUI.DLL"
| "MSNET32"="MSNET32.DLL"
| "NWNET32"="NWNET32.DLL"
| "MSPWL32"="MSPWL32.DLL"
| "OLE32"="OLE32.DLL"
| "OLEAUT32"="OLEAUT32.DLL"
| "OLEDLG"="OLEDLG.DLL"
| "OLETHK32"="OLETHK32.DLL"
| "NETBIOS"="NETBIOS.DLL"
| "MSAB32"="MSAB32.DLL"
| "NWAB32"="NWAB32.DLL"
| "SVRAPI"="SVRAPI.DLL"
| "CHOOSUSR"="CHOOSUSR.DLL"
| "SYNCUI"="SYNCUI.DLL"
| "LINKINFO"="LINKINFO.DLL"
| "MSVCRT20"="MSVCRT20.DLL"
| "RICHED32"="RICHED32.DLL"
| "WINSPOOL"="WINSPOOL.DRV"
| "MFC30"="MFC30.DLL"
| "MFCUIA32"="MFCUIA32.DLL"
| "MFCANS32"="MFCANS32.DLL"
| "NTDLL"="NTDLL.DLL"
| "RASAPI32"="RASAPI32.DLL"
| "TAPI32"="TAPI32.DLL"
| "UMDM32"="UMDM32.DLL"
| "SHDOCVW"="SHDOCVW.DLL"
| "SHLWAPI"="SHLWAPI.DLL"
| "WININET"="WININET.DLL"
| "URLMON"="URLMON.DLL"
| "IMAGEHLP"="IMAGEHLP.DLL"
| "NETAPI32"="NETAPI32.DLL"
| "MSRATING"="MSRATING.DLL"
| "MSVCRT40"="MSVCRT40.DLL"
| "MFC40"="MFC40.DLL"
| "RSABASE"="RSABASE.DLL"
| "WINTRUST"="WINTRUST.DLL"
| "MSVCRT"="MSVCRT.DLL"
| "SYNCENG"="SYNCENG.DLL"
| "RNAP"="RNAP.DLL"
| "RNATHUNK"="RNATHUNK.DLL"
| "RNAUI"="RNAUI.DLL"
| "RNASERV"="RNASERV.DLL"
|
| *** Some of these dll's I'm familiar with, are these all the
registered
| dll's on my puter?

I don't know for sure what that key is for. The article doesn't say
precisely what RegSvr32 does, where it writes in the Registry. This key
just looks to me to be a likely candidate. Could be the info goes
elsewhere altogether.

| PCR, I don't understand this very well, downloaded activeX controls
usually
| go in downloaded programs fldr. They are usually dependant upon an
..inf
| file where obviously they get the info.

The .inf could have a "RegSvr32" instruction inside or some other way to
register it.

| How do these controls register
| themselves in the registry, how can I see the ones I have, what is the
| path/key to follow? I only have 4 controls Windows Update, Media
player 9,
| Call Wave, and Flash player..

Well, I'm afraid I don't quite know. I do see "regsvr" does indeed
appear in many an .inf, doing a FIND, Containing Text, on
"C:\Windows\INF".

| > Does it still happen? When? Does the sit work? Might be best to
await a
| > response from SiS.
|
| The SiS site also has a 1-2-3 user interface, no activeX control used
on the
| page. Since I know my actual chipset I can use this user interface
instead
| of. In another post I copied the 2 offerings, the first one may be
*right*
| it has a 2003 date. I wrote in another post in this thread and copied
the
| file info.

Yes, I saw. That could be the one for you, but it is incredibly huge. Do
a full system backup first, maybe.

| I haven't tried to do the auto-detect tool again at SIS, I'm not sure
if
| it's working correctly and then I have to remove the activeX controls
and do
| a dos scanreg /restore again to the morning boot.

OK. I hesitate to click that, myself. Anyhow, I'm not SiS.

| Star
....snip
July 14, 2005 1:42:35 AM

PCR Pro, been out doing homework on the Internet.

Check this out for yourself, it will knock your socks off... click on the
link, I'm going to give you.... do this when you have some extra moments...
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?Type=All...

The above is the direct link to my MB page. ASUS has been making changes on
their site, but this should happen when you click the link above, you will
be on the main download page.... wait a few seconds and the download will
begin for my MB, you will be on the All tab for all offerings, scroll way
down, display adapters/drivers are near the bottom. The first entry will be
this one... Oh, you'll see blue loading text, look at the status bar, the
download is very fast, I know were both on dial-up.
Version 6.14.10.3571 2004/04/21update
OS Win9x / Win98SE / WinME / Win2K / WinXP
Description SiS graphics adapter Driver 6.14.10.3571 (R3.57a)

Note, the description.... SiS graphics adapter driver
Next you will see some AGP drivers
After, you will see mine, what I'm using....

Version v2.12 2003/02/14update
OS Win9x / WinME
Description SiS 650/651 Display Driver for Windows 9x/ME Version 2.12

The description is Display Driver NOT graphics adapter

Do you think this is important.... it troubles me, I could never make a
decision at the ASUS site ??

<snip>

****Yep, you see why I haven't jumped on the band-wagon for this task!!

> ...snip

> If it isn't horribly long, post the readme Brian A. spoke of.

****This is the ReadMe from MB cd.... ME is not listed, strange!! I'm
posting 98 only!!

SiS Display Driver for Windows 95/98, NT4.0 and Win2000

Contents
========

1.0 Introduction
2.0 Installation Notes for Windows 95/98
2.1 Installation Notes for Windows NT4.0
2.2 Installation Notes for Windows 2000
3.0 Uninstalling drivers for Windows 95/98
3.1 Uninstalling drivers for Windows NT4.0
3.2 Uninstalling drivers for Windows 2000

1.0 Introduction
================

This display driver are supported for the Windows 95/98, NT4.0,
Win2000 operating system. The setup program will install the driver
and utility.

2.0 Installation Notes for Windows 95/98
This driver package contains:
* sisdx.dll
* sisdx32.dll
* sisgl.dll
* sisglsv.dll
* sisgr.drv
* sisgr.vxd
* sisgr.inf
* sisgr.cat

The utility files contain:
* sisudisp.dll (display setting)
* sisufile.dll (information page)
* sisuinfo.dll (information page)
* sisupage.dll (gamma correction, video setting, tv setting)
* sisusm.dll (setting Manager)
* sisut3d.dll (3d setting)
* hkdef.dll (Hotkey definition)
* lcdtv.dll (TV Center screen)
* d3dpvw.exe (d3d preview)
* khooker.exe (Keyboard polling)
* osd.exe (osd)
* sistray.exe (SiSTray)
* loadzoom.exe (TV Zoom In)
* hookproc.dll (TV Zoom In)

Procedure
=========
1. Start Windows 95/98 operating system.
2. Insert the CD into CD-drive.
3. From the Start menu, choose Run and type: "F:\win98\setup"
(where "F" should be substituted as your CD-drive), click
"OK" button, the setup program will start.
4. In this installation, there are three setup-types you can choose:
- Typical
Install all of components in this package, including VGA
driver and utilities.
- Compact
Install driver only.
- Custom
Install components by your choice.
Also, the destination and utility program folder can be choosen
by yourself.
5. Restart your computer when the installation is completed.

3.0 Uninstalling drivers for Windows 95/98
You can choose one of three methods in the following to uninstall:
1. Under "Program Files" in the "Start" menu, run "Uninstall"
from the item "SiS Compatible VGA vx.xx.xx"(Here x.xx.xx means the
version).
2. Under taskbar, choose SiS tray icon in the right-down corner,
click right mouse button, run "Remove drivers" in the
"Applications".
3. In the "Control Panel", run "Add/Remove programs", select
"SiS Compatible VGA vx.xx.xx"(Here x.xx.xx means the version) and click
"Add/Remove" button.

> | if I don't install the s/w, what use the Device Mgr. and just
> | update the drivers, using the drivers from my download ? This way, I
> don't
> | have to uninstall the s/w pkg. I have, but I will have more current
> drivers,
> | can this work, never have tried to do the display adapter via the
> Device
> | Mgr.
>
> That's an idea, but there is no telling whether it is more than just
> driver files involved. Perhaps the installation needs to add to the
> Registry or replace/add .dll's or who knows what?

***I just ran the cd, setup install shield, I noted Compact, it doesn't say
drivers only but minimal required components. So, best use the pkg. instead
of Device Mgr., my question answered!!

> | Also, tell me briefly more about monitor out of range, as soon as I
> reverted
> | back to the s/w and drivers on MB cd I was fine again ? It also
> happened
> | after I downloaded the display driver from Windows Update, this is not
> | experience you want even if you can get to the boot menu easily!!
>
> I was mussed too by taking drivers from there. "Out of range", I read,
> means the adapter didn't know where the monitor was to write on it.

***Don't know where the monitor was/is... that's a chuckle!!

> | Regarding the BIOS update, I am not real open because of warnings, I
> may ask
> | someone to do it for me, the directions seem easy enough, however
> toasting
> | the BIOS chip is much worse than monitor out of range!!
>
> I did it twice. It's quick, a minute or so. (I do have a UPS now, but
> not back then.) Better have the right one, & pray there isn't a scratch
> on the floppy, is all. (Back then, I didn't know of the danger.)

I have directions in MB book, I don't think I'm going to mess w/BIOS update.
ASUS doesn't recommend BIOS update period!! Also, warnings that updating
may cause problems w/MB even when update apparently goes well.

Thanks PCR.
Star

> | Thank you, Star
> | >

> | > --
> | > Thanks or Good Luck,
> | > There may be humor in this post, and,
> | > Naturally, you will not sue,
> | > should things get worse after this,
> | > PCR
> | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | > "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
> ...snip

July 14, 2005 3:45:09 PM

No... but, I know I could toast my BIOS chip and like you initially
warned....
If not broken... don't fix!!
I need to heed that truth or I can get myself in *big* trouble and have an
unusable machine!!
Windows *can* deliver a bad can of worms to all users, most of us have been
there, however here you could not blame Windows like were quick to do and
MoBo problems arn't fun, been there!! ASUS does not recommend flashing and
doing the update, says, "even if successful, could encounter trouble
w/MoBo".

This thread is about my display adapter/driver pkg. which I was unsuccessful
in trying to update sometime back. I'm using the one from MoBo support CD
and it works well.... I decided to leave as is, it's a P4 ASUS board w/SIS
chipsets. I downloaded an intergrated pkg. from SIS over 16,000KB, on
dialup, the install went well, on restart, monitor was out of range. I had
to revert back to my original present driver pkg. I didn't have the
problem on W-XP prof., however the pkg. shows different in W-XP, then in
W98SE, for W98SE it's a compatable pkg. The MoBo model is P4SGX-MX, do you
recommend the smart thing is to leave the driver pkg. as is ? MoBo book
clearly says.... chipset 650GX and that's what seen in W-XP, W98SE shows 650
in all all areas, Dev. Mgr., System Info Tool and Display Prop. WU offers a
driver for W98SE, but that too put the monitor out of range... I since
looked at the stats on that driver at WU and the driver is older than what
I'm using. Monitor out of range, exactly what is going on, I know it has
nothing to do Windows and even though I can't see the desktop I know it
there??? I can listen to the puter sounds, do ctrl/alt/del listen and do
ctrl/alt/del again and restart the puter, etc

I should just leave my display drivers alone, is that what you would
recommend, they arn't broke, don't fix???

Thxs. Gary
Star

> Hey, I wasn't trying to scare you or anything--it's relatively
> straight-forward to perform. You just want to make sure there's a good
> UPS supporting it.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
> > Thxs Gary, I am going to check out the cost, the terrible
> > inconvenience of
> > toasting the BIOS chip I guess is the worst becuse until it is taken
> > care of
> > the puter is toast!! I will let someone experienced do the task!!
> > Eventually, I may take this task on to grow in experience, but, for
> > sure,
> > not anxious for the experience!!
> >
> > Thxs, Star
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> I don't *think* there is anything worse that *might* happen when
> >> flashing a BIOS. And I don't recall how much for the MR BIOS
> >> replacement
> >> I got--that was before I even got involved in newsgroups. Easy enough
> >> Google it, though.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS MVP Shell/User
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 14, 2005 4:24:26 PM

Honestly, sf, I'm not following what you're saying, precisely. But I
would use whichever video drivers work. That's a no-brainer.

What I don't see, though like I said I haven't read the entire thread,
is why you decided to install new drivers in the first place.

In general, the best advice on drivers at Windows Updates is DON'T!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
> Star

>> Hey, I wasn't trying to scare you or anything--it's relatively
>> straight-forward to perform. You just want to make sure there's a
>> good
>> UPS supporting it.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
>> > Thxs Gary, I am going to check out the cost, the terrible
>> > inconvenience of
>> > toasting the BIOS chip I guess is the worst becuse until it is
>> > taken
>> > care of
>> > the puter is toast!! I will let someone experienced do the task!!
>> > Eventually, I may take this task on to grow in experience, but, for

July 14, 2005 4:34:47 PM

Brian,
Thxs. I'm still not sure, your correct about 'ASUS should know'!!
However if I go to my MB page.... for me it's not that easy to discern for
W98SE. I could not choose from the info given me. If you go to the ALL tab
and scroll... display/adapter downloads are at bottom.
I see obvious differences....
First, they list graphic adapter drivers...
Next, they list AGP drivers....
Finally, they have another list for just *display driver pkgs*. and that's
where I find my pkg. listed that I'm using.
I would think if it says, 98SE as valid OS, I could pick from either
list.... yes/no ???
And, remember the 2 most recent ones at SIS site that we have both looked
at.
The one that didn't work for me, the 2nd listing, had a description of
graphic display adapter...
The first one shows for 98SE & ME but as *display drivers*

I'm going to download the first pkg. from SiS, the one display driver for
Win 98SE & ME, it's intergrated, over 20,000KB, but I know the AGP is
included, it was when I downloaded the 2nd pkg. that didn't work for me.

I will install compact mode, minimal requirements/drivers using install
setup and pray when I restart the puter!!
I will do the d/l from SiS in the next few days, I'm on dialup and whew this
will take some time for me to get.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Model...

If you care to check it out use the direct link above, it goes directly to
the main d/load page at ASUS, wait and my MoBo info will come in and you
should be on the All tab, show all offerings.

If the pkg. puts the monitor out of range, I will just have to revert back,
I can fix it, know what to do, etc...

Then again, my drivers arn't broken therefore should I be forcing the update
of the display drivers ??? This is a P4, 2000Ghz machine... not exactly
old, just yet!!

Thanks Brian,

> [...]
> >> downloads, definitely included in the Asus and SIS d/l's.
> >
> > *** Could I do this, do you recommend. Let's say, I do the big download
of
> > the 1st pkg. Could I do just a driver update via the Device Mgr. by
using
> > update driver and browse and manually just install the drivers.
Wouldn't
> > this work for me instead of uninstalling what I have and installing the
> > entire software as well as the drivers, pls. comment ?
>
> As I mentioned, read the installation instructions provided with the d/l,
you
> have less of a chance for problems then. Even though your chipset is an
SIS,
> since Asus has the drivers you may want to go that route first. After all,
they
> should know what drivers to use on their mobos.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 14, 2005 4:43:18 PM

Just going to toss in a comment or two...

Drivers are updated for two reasons: First is to fix bugs in the
existing drivers. Second is to accommodate new technology, whether in
hardware or software.

It's that first reason I want to address. When a product is new is when
it's most likely going to need updating--because it's only after a
product has been in use by thousands or millions of people that all of
the bugs are finally discovered. In other words, it's within the first
months that updates are most likely to be *needed* as opposed to being
Optional.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Then again, my drivers arn't broken therefore should I be forcing the
> update
> of the display drivers ??? This is a P4, 2000Ghz machine... not
> exactly
> old, just yet!!

July 14, 2005 5:06:18 PM

> Honestly, sf, I'm not following what you're saying, precisely. But I
> would use whichever video drivers work. That's a no-brainer.

**sf** what does that mean ??
Sorry, I'm not clear....
But clearly this is a.... No-brainer, you're right!!
This is a P4, 2000Ghz machine, not exactly old, soon enough though!!
I should be grateful that I have a W98SE compatible pkg. of drivers...
that work and install correctly from the MoBo support CD.
W98SE does like the pkg.
I should just let it be.
And, possibly Brian is right-on about the BIOS update in order to be able to
update display/adapter drivers?

> What I don't see, though like I said I haven't read the entire thread,
> is why you decided to install new drivers in the first place.

It all started at WU, I took the display update driver offered, no brains,
simply trusted and zap after restart my monitor was out of range (the driver
at WU is older than I'm using, found out after the mishap).

I decided to take it upon myself and look for a update and choose one at SiS
which also put the monitor out of range. Since that horror, of course I've
left it alone.

I haven't done anything, just trying to figure out why the update went
badly.

> In general, the best advice on drivers at Windows Updates is DON'T!
Everytime I go to WU, I'm reminded as the driver is always offered me.

> [...]
> > looked at the stats on that driver at WU and the driver is older than
> > what
> > I'm using. Monitor out of range, exactly what is going on, I know it
> > has
> > nothing to do Windows and even though I can't see the desktop I know
> > it
> > there??? I can listen to the puter sounds, do ctrl/alt/del listen and
> > do
> > ctrl/alt/del again and restart the puter, etc
> >
> > I should just leave my display drivers alone, is that what you would
> > recommend, they arn't broke, don't fix???
> >
> > Thxs. Gary
> > Star
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hey, I wasn't trying to scare you or anything--it's relatively
> >> straight-forward to perform. You just want to make sure there's a

July 14, 2005 5:14:05 PM

> **sf** what does that mean ??

Means I confused you with another person in this NG. Simple!

> Sorry, I'm not clear....
> But clearly this is a.... No-brainer, you're right!!
> This is a P4, 2000Ghz machine, not exactly old, soon enough though!!
> I should be grateful that I have a W98SE compatible pkg. of
> drivers...
> that work and install correctly from the MoBo support CD.
> W98SE does like the pkg.
> I should just let it be.
> And, possibly Brian is right-on about the BIOS update in order to be
> able to
> update display/adapter drivers?

Very possible.

>> What I don't see, though like I said I haven't read the entire
>> thread,
>> is why you decided to install new drivers in the first place.
>
> It all started at WU, I took the display update driver offered, no
> brains,
> simply trusted and zap after restart my monitor was out of range (the
> driver
> at WU is older than I'm using, found out after the mishap).

NEVER, EVER install drivers from Windows Updates!

> I decided to take it upon myself and look for a update and choose one
> at SiS
> which also put the monitor out of range. Since that horror, of course
> I've
> left it alone.
>
> I haven't done anything, just trying to figure out why the update went
> badly.
>>
>> In general, the best advice on drivers at Windows Updates is DON'T!
> Everytime I go to WU, I'm reminded as the driver is always offered me.

You can tell Windows Updates to not offer that file any more. Might be
in Personalize section. I'm using a different Updater (Microsoft
Updates) on XP and simply can['t recall what you do in your situation to
Hide updates, but you can do it.

Are you now in a situation where you can't get into Windows at all? Or
have you managed to revert drivers to one that works?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

| PCR Pro, been out doing homework on the Internet.

I always did my homework at home.

| Check this out for yourself, it will knock your socks off... click on
the
| link, I'm going to give you.... do this when you have some extra
moments...
| http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?Type=All...
|
| The above is the direct link to my MB page. ASUS has been making
changes on
| their site, but this should happen when you click the link above, you
will
| be on the main download page.... wait a few seconds and the download
will
| begin

It will begin?

| for my MB, you will be on the All tab for all offerings, scroll way
| down, display adapters/drivers are near the bottom. The first entry
will be
| this one... Oh, you'll see blue loading text,

Blue loading text?

| look at the status bar, the
| download

The download?

| is very fast, I know were both on dial-up.
| Version 6.14.10.3571 2004/04/21update
| OS Win9x / Win98SE / WinME / Win2K / WinXP

XP!!! Machines that touch XP shall never touch my fingertips!

| Description SiS graphics adapter Driver 6.14.10.3571 (R3.57a)
|
| Note, the description.... SiS graphics adapter driver
| Next you will see some AGP drivers
| After, you will see mine, what I'm using....
|
| Version v2.12 2003/02/14update
| OS Win9x / WinME
| Description SiS 650/651 Display Driver for Windows 9x/ME Version 2.12
|
| The description is Display Driver NOT graphics adapter

I believe you, Star. Fine, it says that! And there is no need for me to
go & risk XP-radiation poisoning! Maybe Terhune will go. Tell him you
also saw a chocolate chip cookie there!

| Do you think this is important.... it troubles me, I could never make
| decision at the ASUS site ??

Well, I think that could be just one component of the whole package. You
said you had to scroll for it. Also, it could be a misnomer. Either way,
it is what it is, &, if it's an update & you want it, take it. Be
cautious, owing to that dread "out of range" scenario. Do a reliable
full system backup, & you may experiment freely. Then, there is this...

http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/three-- & one (by Glee) that was so-so (or worse). SO, BETTER
make a full system backup, before wiping Windows.

| <snip>
| > | *** PCR, I will download the first pkg. tonight, it's a big
download.
| > Read
| > | the recent posts I've made and others have made. The 1st pkg. has
| > file
| > | size of 20,452KB
| >
| > Eee-Yowww! Let me go look again... "File size: 20,452KB ", it says.
Good
| > lord! I think you should do a full system backup before trying it.
| > Something that huge can be trouble.
|
| ****Yep, you see why I haven't jumped on the band-wagon for this
task!!

Yes. It is huge. Likely, most of it you already have-- all 20 MB-- but
older versions, mostly. Could be the package includes several versions
of many files, & the ones that actually install will be the ones for
WinME, which is you. I don't know.

| > ...snip
|
| > If it isn't horribly long, post the readme Brian A. spoke of.
|
| ****This is the ReadMe from MB cd.... ME is not listed, strange!! I'm
| posting 98 only!!

That is strange & lazy. Could be it's just the same for ME, & they chose
not to update the language in the Readme, probably. Very probably. I
don't like it, but it's probably OK, as we've seen it elsewhere said it
is for WinME too. And I say this despite the other one blew you up,
after saying it was for WinME too!

> [...]
| "Add/Remove" button.
|
| > | if I don't install the s/w, what use the Device Mgr. and just
| > | update the drivers, using the drivers from my download ? This
way, I
| > don't
| > | have to uninstall the s/w pkg. I have, but I will have more
current
| > drivers,
| > | can this work, never have tried to do the display adapter via the
| > Device
| > | Mgr.
| >
| > That's an idea, but there is no telling whether it is more than just
| > driver files involved. Perhaps the installation needs to add to the
| > Registry or replace/add .dll's or who knows what?
|
| ***I just ran the cd, setup install shield, I noted Compact, it
doesn't say
| drivers only but minimal required components. So, best use the pkg.

I think it is best, just as you say. Nice, though, to have a full system
backup, though, if you can.

| > | Also, tell me briefly more about monitor out of range, as soon as
| > reverted
| > | back to the s/w and drivers on MB cd I was fine again ? It also
| > happened
| > | after I downloaded the display driver from Windows Update, this is
not
| > | experience you want even if you can get to the boot menu easily!!
| >
| > I was mussed too by taking drivers from there. "Out of range", I
read,
| > means the adapter didn't know where the monitor was to write on it.
|
| ***Don't know where the monitor was/is... that's a chuckle!!

Ah, ha, ha.

| > | Regarding the BIOS update, I am not real open because of warnings,
| > may ask
| > | someone to do it for me, the directions seem easy enough, however
| > toasting
| > | the BIOS chip is much worse than monitor out of range!!
| >
| > I did it twice. It's quick, a minute or so. (I do have a UPS now,
but
| > not back then.) Better have the right one, & pray there isn't a
scratch
| > on the floppy, is all. (Back then, I didn't know of the danger.)
|
| I have directions in MB book, I don't think I'm going to mess w/BIOS
update.
| ASUS doesn't recommend BIOS update period!! Also, warnings that
updating
| may cause problems w/MB even when update apparently goes well.

That's wise, then. Wait for a problem before updating the BIOS, instead
of visa versa! I would have done that too had I know of the peril.

| Thanks PCR.

You are welcome.

| Star
|
| > | Thank you, Star

| > ...snip

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 14, 2005 8:31:16 PM

"Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
| PCR Pro, been out doing homework on the Internet.
|
| Check this out for yourself, it will knock your socks off... click on
the
| link, I'm going to give you.... do this when you have some extra
moments...
| http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?Type=All...
|
| The above is the direct link to my MB page. ASUS has been making
changes on
| their site, but this should happen when you click the link above, you
will
| be on the main download page.... wait a few seconds and the download
will
| begin for my MB, you will be on the All tab for all offerings, scroll
way
| down, display adapters/drivers are near the bottom. The first entry
will be
| this one... Oh, you'll see blue loading text, look at the status bar,
the
| download is very fast, I know were both on dial-up.
| Version 6.14.10.3571 2004/04/21update
| OS Win9x / Win98SE / WinME / Win2K / WinXP
| Description SiS graphics adapter Driver 6.14.10.3571 (R3.57a)
|
| Note, the description.... SiS graphics adapter driver
| Next you will see some AGP drivers
| After, you will see mine, what I'm using....
|
| Version v2.12 2003/02/14update
| OS Win9x / WinME
| Description SiS 650/651 Display Driver for Windows 9x/ME Version 2.12
|
| The description is Display Driver NOT graphics adapter
|
| Do you think this is important.... it troubles me, I could never make
| decision at the ASUS site ??
....snip

Fine, I did it...

Version v2.12 2003/02/14update
OS Win9x / WinME
Description SiS 650/651 Display Driver for Windows 9x/ME Version 2.12
File Size 15.69 (MBytes)

I see it is fewer MB than at the other site, but still quite large. You
say it is the version you currently are running. There is no greater
version at this ASUS site. The other site mussed you once. Still, v2.21
at the other site is a greater version. Why isn't it here too? If you
take any, do a full system backup before installing it is the best I can
offer.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 15, 2005 1:57:48 AM

What I truly suggest is that you purchase an AGP video adapter, IMO you will be
much happier with the performance.

--

!