Installing drivers in new build ?

Albireo13

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I have a A8N-E mobo system I am ready to turn on for the first time .... new, blank HDD ... clean, new install.

Is it best to install the mobo drivers from the included ASUS CD and forge ahead? Should I instead search the web sites for updated drivers and install those first?

I was thinking I'd start off using the CD drivers and worry about updating drivers later. Same with the BIOS ... don't update it unless I run into an issue down the road. What do you folks think?

Also, I downloaded the latest nVidia chipset driver .zip file, from the ASUS A8N-E website. The zipped file is full of a whole bunch of different Makedisk.exe files. Is this right? It doesn't seem to make sense to me.
I thought it would be one driver file.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

pat

Expert
Install windows, then download the latest drivers for your motherboard and video card directly from the chipset and video card maket..(nvidia or ATI, if you see what I mean.

Don't mess with the BIOS if everything work good.

You don't need any drivers to install XP, unless you have created a RAID array.

somehack

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
You may find that you will need to install your NIC driver before you can get out to the internet to get the latest drivers. Take a look at your Device manager to see whatis not installed.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If you can down load the drives from another computer do so.

Install the chipset first. then video, nic, audio....

I always upgrade the BIOS but only after they have been out for a month. Let some one else do the testing. And I always save by current version.