Is my computer healthy? If not, how to fix it?

Hi everyone,

Few weeks ago, I started having this problem and still:

When I click on AOL icon, to login to the internet, the screen goes
blank for a couple of seconds and then comes back but with the screen
colors are no longer as before; afded ones!

I installed Norton virus and found few viruses, got them removed, but
found no improvement!

I asked Best Buy, Circuit City, but didn't trust what they said!!? Like
auto-mechanics, it is hard to trust those guys anyhow!

Can anyone explain what problem my PC might have?

Thanks,
Mike

<mas_it_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Few weeks ago, I started having this problem and still:
>
> When I click on AOL icon, to login to the internet, the screen goes
> blank for a couple of seconds and then comes back but with the screen
> colors are no longer as before; afded ones!
>
> I installed Norton virus and found few viruses, got them removed, but
> found no improvement!

2. Be warned, AOL software was in 2003 widely
condemned as likely to cause problems. You do
not hear much about it nowadays, probably because
experts stopped bothering with it.
3. Can you be sure your PC is now free from all
viruses, malware etc?
1. Screen image is controlled by "device drivers)
for (1a) your monitor, perhaps unnecessary as most
are "Plug & Play" to use Win98 drivers,
(1b) your "display adapter" = video electronics.
You should either reinstal this from the special
video CD that came with your PC, or search for
a new "updated" driver on the web site of your
PC maker or component maker.

The display adapter is reached via
/ start / settings / control panel / system / device manager
which lets you Right Click the item to select it, then
click on / Properties / Driver
to instal software either from your CD or that you
downloaded from a manufacturer's site.

Post results here for further help.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Don,

On my PC, I followed start/control panel/system........but couldn't
find so called "device manager?"

Thanks for help......

Mike,
Michigan

<mas_it_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> Few weeks ago, I started having this problem and still:
>
> When I click on AOL icon, to login to the internet, the screen goes

In AOL, you login to the server first, this allows access to the internet.
A internet browset such as MS Internet explorer can be used.
Then, AOL program logs into its own network.
And, at that point, you're within the AOL network, not the internet,
while using AOL program.

> blank for a couple of seconds and then comes back but with the screen
> colors are no longer as before; afded ones!

Display problem related to the application at hand.

> I installed Norton virus and found few viruses, got them removed, but
> found no improvement!

Most people don't install a virus, instead, they avoid them.

> I asked Best Buy, Circuit City, but didn't trust what they said!!? Like
> auto-mechanics, it is hard to trust those guys anyhow!

A more descriptive term for the people are analogous to the persons
working at the 2 dollar recycle tire store, not a mechanic. A
real mechanic will not negotiate symptoms for a solution unless he/she
sees the problem.

> Can anyone explain what problem my PC might have?

AOL is problem. Version 9 is out.

> Thanks,
> Mike

When you open the System applet, the General tab has some information
about your system. The second tab should be Device Manager.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Don,
>
> On my PC, I followed start/control panel/system........but couldn't
> find so called "device manager?"
>
> Thanks for help......
>
> Mike,
> Michigan