Operating System Fails to Load

I am a somewhat educated person with computers. I decided to take on the task
today of swapping out our book keepers computer to the new one that we just
ordered. He is the only computer on our network that still uses Windows 98.
The rest of us use Windows XP. When I started his computer this morning, it
asks me to insert the Windows 98 cd to install the operating system?! We have
never had this error message before. All that I really need are some payroll
records that are on his computer, and some other Word, and Excel documents
that would be really beneficial to have. His documents are listed in "my
documents". I am afraid to install the OS again, do ay of you have an idea
for me to troubleshoot the situation. Thanks a bunch!

"Windows 98" <Windows 98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am a somewhat educated person with computers. I decided to take on the
task
> today of swapping out our book keepers computer to the new one that we
just
> ordered. He is the only computer on our network that still uses Windows
98.
> The rest of us use Windows XP. When I started his computer this morning,
it
> asks me to insert the Windows 98 cd to install the operating system?! We
have
> never had this error message before. All that I really need are some
payroll

Possibly something missing in this account. . . .
We need to know:
1. Whether the system is regularly maintained
(junk files deleted, DEL c:\temp\*.*,
periodically running antivirus etc. etc.)
2. How did the prompt appear "Instal Windows CD" ?
This can happen if a "device" e.g. Ethernet card has
been disabled, but bypassing this should boot the
system OK.
3. If this is not what happened, tell us what happened.
We do not know if you could start the PC normally.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Can you boot to DOS using a Win98 boot disk? If you do not have one you can
obtain one here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/

If need be, see Read1st in the right frame on how to create the boot disk from
the download.

If you can boot to DOS, use the DIR command to see if the contents are still
located on the drive. If they are still present you can copy any important files
to disk first before if you choose, attempting to regain control of the system.

Another possibility if the contents are still intact, install the drive into
another machine as a slave and copy the contents over to another drive.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Windows 98" <Windows 98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am a somewhat educated person with computers. I decided to take on the task
> today of swapping out our book keepers computer to the new one that we just
> ordered. He is the only computer on our network that still uses Windows 98.
> The rest of us use Windows XP. When I started his computer this morning, it
> asks me to insert the Windows 98 cd to install the operating system?! We have
> never had this error message before. All that I really need are some payroll
> records that are on his computer, and some other Word, and Excel documents
> that would be really beneficial to have. His documents are listed in "my
> documents". I am afraid to install the OS again, do ay of you have an idea
> for me to troubleshoot the situation. Thanks a bunch!

An exact wording of the error message would be helpful. Since you received
that message, msdos boot files are definitely loaded properly, and windows
did attempt to load.
The file system is probably intact. So a boot diskette or boot CD access to
the files you're looking for should not be a problem. You need to save
those wanted files to floppy before proceeding any further. Don't forget
you can only address the folders and files in 8.3 format. So, a tilde (~)
is probably needed in a long filename or folder name.

Not sure how to advise the OS problem. You may have a LAN, or a
server-oriented network. The source may be that, or, a few local system
files that went south.