  • Power
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
August 1, 2005 9:18:49 AM

Do any of you have any experience with this add-on, or any of the other
aircraft produced by Shockwave? I am interested in the accuracy of the
flight models vs. the effect on framerates (go figure :p  ) I would like
to have some idea of how this program, or Shockwave's P-51D might run on my
middle of the road system before I spend the money I should be saving for a
high-end system. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rand

HP Pavilion
2.0 G P-4, 1G DDR, 64 Meg Nvidia 440 MX, WinXP & FS9

More about : wings power heavy bombers jets

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:18:50 AM

"Rand Smedley" <rand_smedley@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Do any of you have any experience with this add-on, or any of the other
> aircraft produced by Shockwave? I am interested in the accuracy of the
> flight models vs. the effect on framerates (go figure :p  ) I would like
> to have some idea of how this program, or Shockwave's P-51D might run on
> my
> middle of the road system before I spend the money I should be saving for
> high-end system. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rand
>
> HP Pavilion
> 2.0 G P-4, 1G DDR, 64 Meg Nvidia 440 MX, WinXP & FS9

I have these planes and can tell you that they are excellent planes. The
models look good, but are simple enough to give you decent frame rates.
They made a determined effort to keep the flight dynamics/performance
accurate to the real-world numbers. And they include book with the CD-ROM
that tells you how to fly the planes, including checklists. The panels look
great, some even include an engineer's panel and copilot's panel. For the
money, with the number of planes that you get and the quality, it is great
buy.

My system is a Gateway 1.5gig P-4, 1gig ram, Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT, WinXP
August 1, 2005 10:36:18 PM

Gday Rand
I've got the WoP planes installed on both puters and I must say they
are NICE!. However I have a feeling that the 440MMX card would struggle with
them and the planes would win. The only way to I could think of to test them
was to load the plane and then swap it for a default one and see if FPS
changed. The B-17f ran at about 60fps and the default 737 went at about 70
(using a 6600GT and 3Ghz cpu) so there wasn't that big a drop I suppose. As
for the flight models, I have no idea how realistic they are (cause I've
never seen a real one let alone fly it lol) but they are supposed to be
extremely close to the real thing.

What I was going to ask is,what kind of system are you going to
upgrade to? If you are sticking with an AGP motherboard, might I suggest
buying a new vid card now so that you can use it and then transfer it to
your new system, (2.0Ghz with 1 gig of ram and a good vid card would run the
planes well I think) but if your new system is going to be PCI-E or SLI,
then save your money for the new computer.

Bryan

"Rand Smedley" <rand_smedley@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Do any of you have any experience with this add-on, or any of the other
> aircraft produced by Shockwave? I am interested in the accuracy of the
> flight models vs. the effect on framerates (go figure :p  ) I would like
> to have some idea of how this program, or Shockwave's P-51D might run on
> my
> middle of the road system before I spend the money I should be saving for
> high-end system. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rand
>
> HP Pavilion
> 2.0 G P-4, 1G DDR, 64 Meg Nvidia 440 MX, WinXP & FS9

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 8:12:31 AM

Bryan

Thanks to you and the others for your input on WoP.

As for my projected upgrade, my current computer was purchased before I even
knew about flight simulations. It was perfectly suited to retrieve email
and use the internet for research, booking travel, etc. Since it doesn't
even have an AGP por, I am using an Nvidia 440MX PCI (not express!) video
card and I doubled the original 512ram to a Gig. Although my default birds
can manage a reasonable 18-30 FPS with some of the sliders maxed out ( I
have to stay with 'simple clouds' in the weather settings though ) the PMDG
737NG has my system barely keeping the FPS over 10 with all the sliders at
or very near minimums. I really like the 737NG but am leaving it mostly in
the hanger until such time as I acquire a computer that will meet the
challenge.

After reading some threads here I've decided to hold off on getting the
latest HAL9000 until I have some idea which way the FS mop will flop on the
next edition (64 bit, dual core, etc.) I have resigned to make do with what
I have while I stash away what would otherwise have been my beer money for
the "new & improved" hardware, whenever and whatever that might be. All of
which is precisely why I asked about the WoP aircraft. If they are
relatively frame rate friendly then I think I'll take a chance on them and
see how they do.

Regards,
Rand

"Bryan" <Idontthinkso@tim.com> wrote in message