Swappin Hard Drive

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 13, 2005 11:19:19 AM

I have two computers, a 2.5 gig P-4 and a 500 meg P-2. Both have different
Motherboards. Both machines have removable hard drives. I know if I plug my
Win XP from the P-4 into the P-2 machine it won't boot up. Is there some
easy way to do what I want to do?

Thanks

More about : swappin hard drive

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:07:19 PM

"Conrad Hoffman" <crhoff@bestnetpc.com> wrote:

>I have two computers, a 2.5 gig P-4 and a 500 meg P-2. Both have different
>Motherboards. Both machines have removable hard drives. I know if I plug my
>Win XP from the P-4 into the P-2 machine it won't boot up. Is there some
>easy way to do what I want to do?
>
>Thanks

No.

Windows is configured for the specific hardware in the machine it is
installed on. When the hard drive is moved to a different machine or
if the motherboard is replaced (same thing) then either a Repair
Install (Windows XP) or a forced redetection of the hardware (Windows
9x) is needed.

And if Windows XP is used on different hardware it will also require
reactivation and there may be more serious consequences, especially if
the Windows XP is a "BIOS Locked" OEM version.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP