Phantom drive partition appearing in LAN tree

Win98SE
I run a small peer-to-peer Windows LAN.
When looking at the Windows Explorer/file manager I see a
drive called "__ -REDIST." It only shows up under my LAN
listings and not in the local computer tree. When clicked, I
get an error message: "__ -REDIST is not accessible"
I have no viruses, adware, or spyware. Any idea of what this
is and how to get rid of it and stop it from recurring?
3 answers Last reply
More about phantom drive partition appearing tree

    Your "LAN listings..." That would be the Shares listed under Network
    Neighborhood (or My Network Places)? If so, it would suggest to me that
    there was once a shared folder somewhere named "__ -REDIST" (probably a
    "Redistributable" package such as those used to install some Update
    across a network instead of each user downloading their own copy.)

    Those "LAN listings" are shortcuts--I'm not sure what format. They're
    created when you first access a share. That this particular one can no
    longer be accessed means that it's a dead shortcut. The shared folder
    has been removed or is no longer being shared. You should be able to
    right-click it and delete. What happens when you try that?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "short circuit" <shortcircuit@megawatts.co> wrote in message
    > Win98SE
    > I run a small peer-to-peer Windows LAN.
    > When looking at the Windows Explorer/file manager I see a drive
    > called "__ -REDIST." It only shows up under my LAN listings and not in
    > the local computer tree. When clicked, I get an error message:
    > "__ -REDIST is not accessible"
    > I have no viruses, adware, or spyware. Any idea of what this is and
    > how to get rid of it and stop it from recurring?

    "short circuit" <shortcircuit@megawatts.co> wrote in message
    > Win98SE
    > I run a small peer-to-peer Windows LAN.
    > When looking at the Windows Explorer/file manager I see a drive called
    > "__ -REDIST." It only shows up under my LAN listings and not in the local
    > computer tree. When clicked, I get an error message: "__ -REDIST is not
    > accessible"
    > I have no viruses, adware, or spyware. Any idea of what this is and how to
    > get rid of it and stop it from recurring?

    maybe this:

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.redist@mm.html

    philo wrote:
    > "short circuit" <shortcircuit@megawatts.co> wrote in message
    >
    >>Win98SE
    >>I run a small peer-to-peer Windows LAN.
    >>When looking at the Windows Explorer/file manager I see a drive called
    >>"__ -REDIST." It only shows up under my LAN listings and not in the local
    >>computer tree. When clicked, I get an error message: "__ -REDIST is not
    >>accessible"
    >>I have no viruses, adware, or spyware. Any idea of what this is and how to
    >>get rid of it and stop it from recurring?
    >

    > maybe this:
    >
    > http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.redist@mm.html

    Thank you for the suggestion. I followed the NAV link
    instructions. I did not find any of the named files on my
    harddrives, and no corresponding keys in the registry. I'll
    check my other machines for the same things. However, I am
    still looking for an explanation.

LAN Partition Windows