Phantom drive partition appearing in LAN tree

Win98SE
I run a small peer-to-peer Windows LAN.
When looking at the Windows Explorer/file manager I see a
drive called "__ -REDIST." It only shows up under my LAN
listings and not in the local computer tree. When clicked, I
get an error message: "__ -REDIST is not accessible"
I have no viruses, adware, or spyware. Any idea of what this
is and how to get rid of it and stop it from recurring?

Your "LAN listings..." That would be the Shares listed under Network
Neighborhood (or My Network Places)? If so, it would suggest to me that
there was once a shared folder somewhere named "__ -REDIST" (probably a
"Redistributable" package such as those used to install some Update
across a network instead of each user downloading their own copy.)

Those "LAN listings" are shortcuts--I'm not sure what format. They're
created when you first access a share. That this particular one can no
longer be accessed means that it's a dead shortcut. The shared folder
has been removed or is no longer being shared. You should be able to
right-click it and delete. What happens when you try that?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"short circuit" <shortcircuit@megawatts.co> wrote in message
> Win98SE
> I run a small peer-to-peer Windows LAN.
> When looking at the Windows Explorer/file manager I see a drive
> called "__ -REDIST." It only shows up under my LAN listings and not in
> the local computer tree. When clicked, I get an error message:
> "__ -REDIST is not accessible"
> I have no viruses, adware, or spyware. Any idea of what this is and
> how to get rid of it and stop it from recurring?

Philo

"short circuit" <shortcircuit@megawatts.co> wrote in message
> Win98SE
> I run a small peer-to-peer Windows LAN.
> When looking at the Windows Explorer/file manager I see a drive called
> "__ -REDIST." It only shows up under my LAN listings and not in the local
> computer tree. When clicked, I get an error message: "__ -REDIST is not
> accessible"
> I have no viruses, adware, or spyware. Any idea of what this is and how to
> get rid of it and stop it from recurring?

maybe this:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.redist@mm.html

philo wrote:
> "short circuit" <shortcircuit@megawatts.co> wrote in message
>
>>Win98SE
>>I run a small peer-to-peer Windows LAN.
>>When looking at the Windows Explorer/file manager I see a drive called
>>"__ -REDIST." It only shows up under my LAN listings and not in the local
>>computer tree. When clicked, I get an error message: "__ -REDIST is not
>>accessible"
>>I have no viruses, adware, or spyware. Any idea of what this is and how to
>>get rid of it and stop it from recurring?
>

> maybe this:
>
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.redist@mm.html

Thank you for the suggestion. I followed the NAV link
instructions. I did not find any of the named files on my
harddrives, and no corresponding keys in the registry. I'll
check my other machines for the same things. However, I am
still looking for an explanation.