Why does Win98/ME crash so much?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 14, 2005 1:08:10 AM

I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or Spybot
it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs open and
then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs. What causes
these hangs?

--
Nocturnal

http://www.spywaretalk.org

More about : win98 crash

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 10:36:26 AM

What Are Fatal Exception Errors [Q150314]
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q150314

This article says in part:

When you attempt to start Windows or an application inside of Windows, you
may
encounter errors similar to the following:

A fatal exception <XY> has occurred at xxxx:xxxxxxxx

Fatal exception errors are codes returned by a program in the following
cases:

- Access to an illegal instruction has been encountered

- Invalid data or code has been accessed

- The privilege level of an operation is invalid

When any of these occur, the processor returns an exception to the operating
system, which in turn is handled as a Fatal Exception Error. In many cases
the
exception is non-recoverable and the system must either be restarted or
shutdown, depending upon the severity of the error.
******************

It appears that there is a program running in the background that is causing
problems or you are dealing with a corrupted system. It might well be
spyware as it is often poorly written and is known to cause computer
problems.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
> I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or
> Spybot it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs
> open and then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs.
> What causes these hangs?
>
> --
> Nocturnal
>
> http://www.spywaretalk.org

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:50:24 PM

"Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message

> I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or
Spybot
> it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs open and
> then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs. What
causes
> these hangs?

Of course this looks like bad code loaded at boot --
so we need to know what happens when you boot
Safe Mode (with the minimum of driivers) or run
appropropriate AV software from a DOS boot.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:50:24 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:

> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>
> > I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or
> Spybot
> > it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs open and
> > then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs. What
> causes
> > these hangs?
>
> Of course this looks like bad code loaded at boot --
> so we need to know what happens when you boot
> Safe Mode (with the minimum of driivers) or run
> appropropriate AV software from a DOS boot.

Don, what would you type at the DOS prompt to cue up the appropriate
program? I'm thinking I should try running AdAware that way.

To get out of DOS, do you still type win? I haven't messed around
with DOS since pre-3.1 (I think it was a 286 running Word Perfect) so
I'm really rusty.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:16:25 PM

You can't run AdAware from a DOS boot. If your antivirus even *has* a
DOS mode, you'll need to refer to the AV documentation to find out the
commands. Few if any Adware/Spyware cleaners work from pure DOS.

Lastly, if you "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" to get to DOS, type EXIT to
return to Windows. If you boot to "Command Prompt Only" to get to DOS,
then press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart the system.

DO NOT use WIN command to get into or return to Windows 98. It might
work, it might not, and it might very well cause problems

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:50:24 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:
> Don, what would you type at the DOS prompt to cue up the appropriate
> program? I'm thinking I should try running AdAware that way.
>
> To get out of DOS, do you still type win? I haven't messed around
> with DOS since pre-3.1 (I think it was a 286 running Word Perfect) so
> I'm really rusty.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 7:57:47 PM

And if you run them in Safe Mode...?

Make sure you're using the latest versions Ad-aware SE (v1.06) and Spybot
(v1.4), and that both are using updated definitions.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
for expert analysis, not here.**

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Nocturnal wrote:
> I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or
> Spybot it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs
> open and then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs.
> What causes these hangs?
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 5:22:05 AM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:08:10 -1000, "Nocturnal"

>I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or Spybot
>it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs open and
>then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs. What causes
>these hangs?

Work from the outside in, as if you were trying to blast your way to
the center of Castle Wolfenstein ;-)

If CPU, bus speeds, RAM are OK (
If HD is physically OK (
If HD file system and free space OK (
If formal virus scan OK (
Start thinking about specifics
) Else manage resident malware
) Else recover data and repair file system
) Else recover data, replace HD, etc.
) Else clean fans, replace RAM, etc.

Clickfood:

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm

It could be that you have resident commercial malware that's bitchy
enough to nuke your anti-cm scanners, making the scanners look like
the problem ("those scanners are flaky, that's why our EULA forbids
use of 3rd-party removal tools, to reduce support costs for our
much-beloved-by-consumers product").

It could also be bad RAM, hidden traditional malware, blown mobo caps,
failing HD, overheating processors, overclocked UIDE, corrupted file
system, etc. and that's what "the prelim" is designed to catch.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!