Why does Win98/ME crash so much?

I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or Spybot
it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs open and
then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs. What causes
these hangs?

--
Nocturnal

http://www.spywaretalk.org
6 answers Last reply
More about win98 crash much

    What Are Fatal Exception Errors [Q150314]
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q150314

    This article says in part:

    When you attempt to start Windows or an application inside of Windows, you
    may
    encounter errors similar to the following:

    A fatal exception <XY> has occurred at xxxx:xxxxxxxx

    Fatal exception errors are codes returned by a program in the following
    cases:

    - Access to an illegal instruction has been encountered

    - Invalid data or code has been accessed

    - The privilege level of an operation is invalid

    When any of these occur, the processor returns an exception to the operating
    system, which in turn is handled as a Fatal Exception Error. In many cases
    the
    exception is non-recoverable and the system must either be restarted or
    shutdown, depending upon the severity of the error.
    ******************

    It appears that there is a program running in the background that is causing
    problems or you are dealing with a corrupted system. It might well be
    spyware as it is often poorly written and is known to cause computer
    problems.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    > I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or
    > Spybot it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs
    > open and then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs.
    > What causes these hangs?
    >
    > --
    > Nocturnal
    >
    > http://www.spywaretalk.org

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message

    > I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or
    Spybot
    > it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs open and
    > then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs. What
    causes
    > these hangs?

    Of course this looks like bad code loaded at boot --
    so we need to know what happens when you boot
    Safe Mode (with the minimum of driivers) or run
    appropropriate AV software from a DOS boot.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:50:24 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:

    > "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or
    > Spybot
    > > it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs open and
    > > then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs. What
    > causes
    > > these hangs?
    >
    > Of course this looks like bad code loaded at boot --
    > so we need to know what happens when you boot
    > Safe Mode (with the minimum of driivers) or run
    > appropropriate AV software from a DOS boot.

    Don, what would you type at the DOS prompt to cue up the appropriate
    program? I'm thinking I should try running AdAware that way.

    To get out of DOS, do you still type win? I haven't messed around
    with DOS since pre-3.1 (I think it was a 286 running Word Perfect) so
    I'm really rusty.

    You can't run AdAware from a DOS boot. If your antivirus even *has* a
    DOS mode, you'll need to refer to the AV documentation to find out the
    commands. Few if any Adware/Spyware cleaners work from pure DOS.

    Lastly, if you "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" to get to DOS, type EXIT to
    return to Windows. If you boot to "Command Prompt Only" to get to DOS,
    then press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart the system.

    DO NOT use WIN command to get into or return to Windows 98. It might
    work, it might not, and it might very well cause problems

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:50:24 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:
    > Don, what would you type at the DOS prompt to cue up the appropriate
    > program? I'm thinking I should try running AdAware that way.
    >
    > To get out of DOS, do you still type win? I haven't messed around
    > with DOS since pre-3.1 (I think it was a 286 running Word Perfect) so
    > I'm really rusty.

    And if you run them in Safe Mode...?

    Make sure you're using the latest versions Ad-aware SE (v1.06) and Spybot
    (v1.4), and that both are using updated definitions.

    Checking for/Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

    When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
    (http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
    It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
    your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
    for expert analysis, not here.**

    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    Nocturnal wrote:
    > I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or
    > Spybot it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs
    > open and then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs.
    > What causes these hangs?

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:08:10 -1000, "Nocturnal"

    >I'm fixing a computer at work and basically anytime I run Ad-Aware or Spybot
    >it just blue screens the computer. Also if I have a few programs open and
    >then try to access say control panel it blue screens or hangs. What causes
    >these hangs?

    Work from the outside in, as if you were trying to blast your way to
    the center of Castle Wolfenstein ;-)

    If CPU, bus speeds, RAM are OK (
    If HD is physically OK (
    If HD file system and free space OK (
    If formal virus scan OK (
    Start thinking about specifics
    ) Else manage resident malware
    ) Else recover data and repair file system
    ) Else recover data, replace HD, etc.
    ) Else clean fans, replace RAM, etc.

    Clickfood:

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/virtest.htm

    It could be that you have resident commercial malware that's bitchy
    enough to nuke your anti-cm scanners, making the scanners look like
    the problem ("those scanners are flaky, that's why our EULA forbids
    use of 3rd-party removal tools, to reduce support costs for our
    much-beloved-by-consumers product").

    It could also be bad RAM, hidden traditional malware, blown mobo caps,
    failing HD, overheating processors, overclocked UIDE, corrupted file
    system, etc. and that's what "the prelim" is designed to catch.

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Control Panel Computers Crash Microsoft Windows