Office Update Borked My PC!

Why does it always seem to happen in July & August (unless Symantec was
involved, of course...that's why I junked it)?

Anyway, last night I downloaded the most recent update for Office 2000
from the MS Office Update site.

During the install process (which follows automatically afterwards), and
after I'd inserted both Disc 1 and then Disc 2 of the original program
at the prompts, the install seemed to struggle.

Then, after a small clunk, it powered the PC straight off.

I booted up again, but it came up with error 0E at 0028:FFFFFFC9 and
powered off again.

Various things wot I tried next (in Safe Mode):

Removing the install files from c:\Windows\Temp.
Overinstalling the display drivers (SiS6326 - most up-to-date version).
I couldn't uninstall first because they don't appear in the program list
in SM.
Restoring a known working registry (from earlier that day - before the
screw-up).
Used the Windows Installer Clean Up to remove all installers relating to
Office (which meant, of course, that I lost Office and will have to
reinstall it when I get things sorted).
Ran Scandisk.
I may have tried other things, too, but it was late last night and I
can't remember now.

After each of these, the same thing happened: the PC would load until
just before the desktop appeared. At this point, the hourglass would run
on a black screen and the HDD would be very active. Then the 'clunk' and
power off (the 'clunk' is the normal one you get before a normal power-off).

But after the last thing I did (whatever it was) it booted into Normal
Mode without any apparent problems.Indeed, I used the PC for about an
hour, until I was browsing a page which had quite a few ads on it
(OpenOffice.org, ironically enough) when I got BSOD-ed with the
following: 0E at 0028:C003635B in VxD IFSMGR(01) + 00002997. When I
pressed a key, it powered off.

(Temperature doesn't seem to be an issue, judging by what I see in the
BIOS when rebooting immediately afterwards)

I've been using an internet machine in work today to try to find the
cause (apart from the Office Update, which was quite clearly screwed),
but didn't come up with much.

I then came home, booted into SM, said that I didn't want the SiS to be
available in all profiles, then rebooted into Normal Mode.

Which it did, but still apparently with the SiS display drivers active.
This was about 20 minutes ago, but who knows how long it'll last.

Any thoughts as to what may have caused all this, and what I can do to
fix it if it keeps happening?

TIA

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

Cymbal Man Freq. wrote:
> I would check to make sure MOSearch and MDM7 were unchecked in msconfig. Office
> updates usually recheck them in msconfig without your knowledge, until the
> machine becomes unresponsive on the reboot. Do it in Safe Mode if need be.

Neither is there...nor ever was as far as I remember.

> Otherwise, I would suggest uninstalling KB891711 from Add/Remove Programs,
> unchecking it in msconfig is not enough to get rid of any undiscovered
> side-effects of that patch.

I don't think this is an issue. As PCR reminded me, there were two
versions of it: I have the later one, which doesn't seem to have caused
a problem since.

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

PCR wrote:
> Well, the Display Adapter drivers were worth a try. It could still be a
> hardware problem with it, though. Reinstalling the drivers only tends to
> prove it wasn't it's software. Reseat it too if/when you open up. RAM
> seems good per your test, but won't hurt to reseat, hopefully. If BIOS
> has a setting for temp, then you would be hearing beeps too, I guess, at
> the point of shutdown, if that were the problem.

I will open the case up later this week - it could probably do with a
bit of light dusting.

> BUT I see playing with Office has shown some improvement. Yea, I guess
> Office is the problem. That's a big one. It still isn't perfectly
> installed, but you have survived a bit without the crash. Is it now
> properly uninstallable in Add/Remove or wherever? Then by all means
> consider that should the problem resurface.

Yeah...all well and good this evening (note: this is my entry for this
week's "Famous Last Words" competition). Although I still haven't
installed the Excel add-ins or Office Disk 2. I can't *quite* bring
myself to go that far just yet...

> | I also used SFC to get a copy of IFSMGR.VXD from
> | C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS into the VMM directory
>
> IFSMGR was updated, but I don't know what updated it...
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32>dir /on
> Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32
> IFSMGR VXD 186,438 09-19-00 12:57p IFSMGR.VXD
> IOS VXD 69,570 04-23-99 10:22p IOS.VXD
> MRCI2 VXD 53,403 04-23-99 10:22p MRCI2.VXD
> QEMMFIX VXD 9,792 04-23-99 10:22p QEMMFIX.VXD

Check, check, check and check as regards what's in that dir on mine -
and IFSMGR.VXD in ...\OPTIONS\CABS was the same.

> You are earning your sysadmin stripes. Get an extra one for me.

I'd like to be able to use this PC for something other than a test-bed
for my *own* breakdown!

Many thanks for your help/advice so far...

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

"Nigel Stapley" <unet@judgemental.plus.com> wrote in message
| PCR wrote:
| > Well, the Display Adapter drivers were worth a try. It could still
be a
| > hardware problem with it, though. Reinstalling the drivers only
tends to
| > prove it wasn't it's software. Reseat it too if/when you open up.
RAM
| > seems good per your test, but won't hurt to reseat, hopefully. If
BIOS
| > has a setting for temp, then you would be hearing beeps too, I
guess, at
| > the point of shutdown, if that were the problem.
|
| I will open the case up later this week - it could probably do with a
| bit of light dusting.

OK. And I feel rather certain Brian A. or Glee will take 1/2
responsibility each, if you blow up after that, Stapley. Blanton would
too, but I've seen in the news that someone has been swallowed by an
alligator in Florida.

| > BUT I see playing with Office has shown some improvement. Yea, I
guess
| > Office is the problem. That's a big one. It still isn't perfectly
| > installed, but you have survived a bit without the crash. Is it now
| > properly uninstallable in Add/Remove or wherever? Then by all means
| > consider that should the problem resurface.
|
| Yeah...all well and good this evening

Phew.

| (note: this is my entry for this
| week's "Famous Last Words" competition). Although I still haven't
| installed the Excel add-ins or Office Disk 2. I can't *quite* bring
| myself to go that far just yet...

Wait a while, then. Give it few days worth of the stuff that was
crashing it before. Do a few reboots. Try a simple install/two, or
change a setting that requires a reboot.

| > | I also used SFC to get a copy of IFSMGR.VXD from
| > | C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS into the VMM directory
| >
| > IFSMGR was updated, but I don't know what updated it...
| >
| > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32>dir /on
| > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32
| > IFSMGR VXD 186,438 09-19-00 12:57p IFSMGR.VXD
| > IOS VXD 69,570 04-23-99 10:22p IOS.VXD
| > MRCI2 VXD 53,403 04-23-99 10:22p MRCI2.VXD
| > QEMMFIX VXD 9,792 04-23-99 10:22p QEMMFIX.VXD
|
| Check, check, check and check as regards what's in that dir on mine -
| and IFSMGR.VXD in ...\OPTIONS\CABS was the same.

In my Cabinet WIN98_54.CAB of Win98SE, I see...
04-23-1999 10:22:00p A--- 185,902 ifsmgr.vxd

| > You are earning your sysadmin stripes. Get an extra one for me.
| >

| I'd like to be able to use this PC for something other than a test-bed
| for my *own* breakdown!
|
| Many thanks for your help/advice so far...

You are welcome.

| --
| Regards
|
| Nigel Stapley
|
| www.judgemental.plus.com
|
| <reply-to will bounce>

Nigel Stapley wrote:

(Sorry if this appears more than once - news server has caught it now!)

OK, here's what's happened:

Monday & Tuesday evenings: everything fine, no problems at all, but then
I confined myself to simple matters like browsing, e-mail, Usenet and
writing & uploading a few pages to my website.

This evening, I thought it was time to get adventurous. I should learn...

I installed the add-ins for MS Excel. This went OK.

Then I tried installing Office Disk 2. When it got to the reboot stage,
it hung at the shutdown screen (as I've said, nothing unusual in that,
for *this* system).

I waited a few minutes before rebooting manually. When it came back up,
it started to update the system settings, then the Installer box came up
with 'Preparing to install..' After about 10 secs., it gave its usual
CLUNK!, but *didn't power off*. Instead, I got a BSOD: 0E at
0028:00000003 (which I've had before in all this). Pressing any key
powered the PC off.

I restarted, and it came up OK, but trying to open MS Publisher (which
is on Office Disk 2) brought a request to insert the disk. It ran
Publisher from the disk, when I'd asked it to install to the HDD.

So I ran Setup from Disk 2 again to get it onto the HDD. Part way
through the install...CLUNK!...off.

I booted up manually and, again, all else seems to be OK (except that it
still tries to run Publisher from the CD-ROM). I can't bring myself to
have another go at that tonight.

I want to get through this, because I've got the latest version of
Thunderbird to install, plus trying to sort out the fact that I seem to
have *3* version of Java Run-time installed on this machine. But I'm
wary of proceeding at the moment.

What do you think the issue could be now? I've done a Google for that
BSOD, and the suggested causes are so varied as to be completely
unhelpful: some say it's the CD-RW or its software (surely not
implicated when it hasn't been involved in any of this - separate CD-RW
drive); some say USB (I installed a 4-port USB hub a few weeks ago, but
Device Manager doesn't indicate a problem and it seems to work OK).

So where now, chums? :-(
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

(1) It seems you were able to install Excel w/o a problem. Perhaps try
to install that MS Office Disk 2 on some other poor soul's computer,
just to see whether IT is bad.

(2) What tells you you have *3* versions of Java Run-time installed on
that machine?

(3) What do you click to run Publisher? If a shortcut, examine it's
Properties to see whether that directs it to the disk.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

PCR wrote:
> (1) It seems you were able to install Excel w/o a problem. Perhaps try
> to install that MS Office Disk 2 on some other poor soul's computer,
> just to see whether IT is bad.

People start to back away from me whenever they see me approaching with
an "Office 2000" disk-set in my hand.... ;-)

> (2) What tells you you have *3* versions of Java Run-time installed on
> that machine?

"Add/Remove Programs". It shows:

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.4.2_05
Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.4.2_06

> (3) What do you click to run Publisher? If a shortcut, examine it's
> Properties to see whether that directs it to the disk.

It's a shortcut. Right-clicking on it shows that it's pointing to the
MSPUB.EXE file in the correct C:\ drive directory. Double-clicking on
that brings up the prompt to insert Disk 2 of Office. Same when I go
straight to the .exe. file and double-click that instead.

--

| PCR wrote:
| > (1) It seems you were able to install Excel w/o a problem. Perhaps
try
| > to install that MS Office Disk 2 on some other poor soul's computer,
| > just to see whether IT is bad.
|
| People start to back away from me whenever they see me approaching
with
| an "Office 2000" disk-set in my hand.... ;-)

Naturally! You can't do it while they are looking!

| > (2) What tells you you have *3* versions of Java Run-time installed
on
| > that machine?
|
| "Add/Remove Programs". It shows:
|
| J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
| Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.4.2_05
| Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.4.2_06

Oh. I don't have a single one of those. I don't have a thing that starts
with a "J" at all. Is that supposed to be Sun Java? Seems very sloppy,
whether they really are all still installed or not. Sometimes,
uninstalling an item leaves it's entry in Add/Remove behind. Remove it
again, & it will acknowledge it's gone by requesting whether you want
the entry removed from the Add/Remove list.

Should be harmless to try & remove it to see what the offer is... to
uninstall it or to just remove it's entry. Anyway, the random stuff I
just tried all had an option to cancel.

| > (3) What do you click to run Publisher? If a shortcut, examine it's
| > Properties to see whether that directs it to the disk.
| >

| It's a shortcut. Right-clicking on it shows that it's pointing to the
| MSPUB.EXE file in the correct C:\ drive directory. Double-clicking on
| that brings up the prompt to insert Disk 2 of Office. Same when I go
| straight to the .exe. file and double-click that instead.

I see. I think that proves you are correct, especially clicking the .exe
directly, & Publisher is... not installed on the HDD. (I don't know how
to get it there. Sorry.)

PCR wrote:
> "Nigel Stapley" <unet@judgemental.plus.com> wrote in message
> | PCR wrote:
> | > (1) It seems you were able to install Excel w/o a problem. Perhaps
> try
> | > to install that MS Office Disk 2 on some other poor soul's computer,
> | > just to see whether IT is bad.
> |
> | People start to back away from me whenever they see me approaching
> with
> | an "Office 2000" disk-set in my hand.... ;-)
>
> Naturally! You can't do it while they are looking!

Here's the latest: Tried to uninstall the earlier Java versions. It said
there was a suspended install session, so I couldn't (this was from
earlier faffing with Office, no doubt).

Trying to open a .pub file gave me "Windows is low on memory or your
hard drive is full" (sure...384MB of RAM and 13GB free space...).

I went into 'Add/Remove' and tried to repair the installation. When I
put Disk 2 in, it started OK, but then the progress bar stopped quite
early on. The CD-ROM drive was reading, and there was a lot of HDD activity.

After a few minutes, I decided to cancel out of it. When I got back to
the dialog which told me I could run the setup again later if I wished
(yeah, right...) and clicked on 'OK'....CLUNK!...off.

I booted back up (OK), and then *uninstalled* Disk 2 altogether. Now,
double-clicking the icon for Publisher just brings up the 'Missing
shortcut' box.

I might try copying Disk 2 to the HDD tomorrow, and trying to install
from there. If nothing else, it might narrow down the problem to whether
it's the disk itself or the CD-ROM drive (although that works OK for
everything else).

After this, I uninstalled the earlier Java versions without any problem.
I've got the latest Thunderbird and Moz versions to install at some
stage, too.

--

| PCR wrote:
| > "Nigel Stapley" <unet@judgemental.plus.com> wrote in message
Perhaps
| > try
| > |
| > | People start to back away from me whenever they see me approaching
| > with
| > | an "Office 2000" disk-set in my hand.... ;-)
| >
| > Naturally! You can't do it while they are looking!
|
| Here's the latest: Tried to uninstall the earlier Java versions. It
said
| there was a suspended install session, so I couldn't (this was from
| earlier faffing with Office, no doubt).

It seemed to know Office has unfinished business. Hmmmm. (Glad that's
been solved below.)

| Trying to open a .pub file gave me "Windows is low on memory or your
| hard drive is full" (sure...384MB of RAM and 13GB free space...).

Could be the involvment of that Office disk 2 doing that.

| I went into 'Add/Remove' and tried to repair the installation. When I
| put Disk 2 in, it started OK, but then the progress bar stopped quite
| early on. The CD-ROM drive was reading, and there was a lot of HDD
activity.

| After a few minutes, I decided to cancel out of it. When I got back to
| the dialog which told me I could run the setup again later if I wished
| (yeah, right...) and clicked on 'OK'....CLUNK!...off.

Ouch.

| I booted back up (OK), and then *uninstalled* Disk 2 altogether. Now,
| double-clicking the icon for Publisher just brings up the 'Missing
| shortcut' box.
|
| I might try copying Disk 2 to the HDD tomorrow, and trying to install
| from there. If nothing else, it might narrow down the problem to
whether
| it's the disk itself or the CD-ROM drive (although that works OK for
| everything else).

That's a good idea. I hope it works.

| After this, I uninstalled the earlier Java versions without any
problem.

Hmm. I was expecting something else, that they were already gone.

| I've got the latest Thunderbird and Moz versions to install at some
| stage, too.

Let us pray.

| --
| Regards
|
| Nigel Stapley
|
| www.judgemental.plus.com
|
| <reply-to will bounce>

Here's today's fun:

Booted up fine.

Installed the latest version of Thunderbird - OK.

Uninstalled Mozilla 1.7.8 - OK.

Installed Mozilla 1.7.10(!) - OK.

I rebooted because Win Explorer had slowed down - the known issue.

It hung on the closing screen yet again (I've got the shutdown
supplement installed - dunno why it does this, especially after an install).

Manually rebooted. Came back up OK.

Tried copying Office Disk 2 from the CD-ROM drive to a folder I'd
created on the HDD. It slowed down to a halt after a while, so I
cancelled it.

I cleaned the CD-R and CD-RW drives, then tried copying Disk 2 from the
CD-RW drive, as I thought that drive speed might be an issue (i.e. too
fast from the CD-R to the HDD). It got a bit further than it had from
the CD-R, but then...CLUNK!...off.

I booted back up. Scandisk ran. I deleted the part-copied folder then
booted into Safe Mode.

I ran defrag, which went through fine, then I tidied up the Start Menu
and rebooted.

All went OK until after the desktop icons appeared,
then...yup...CLUNK!...off.

Sheesh!

I left it about 90 minutes, booted up again just fine.

Questions for the class:

1) Do you think this shows that my Office Disk 2 is officially screwed?

2) What could be causing the regular problems when rebooting after an
install, given that the Shutdown Supplement is in effect?

3) Given that my "CLUNK!" problem is still there, seems to happen at
particular points (somewhere between the loading of the wallpaper and
the system tray icons), is there *still* something in the Startup axis
which could be causing this? Is it *still* the graphics drivers? Could
something like DirectDraw be implicated (although DXDiag doesn't
indicate a problem)?

TIA
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

| Tried copying Office Disk 2 from the CD-ROM drive to a folder I'd
| created on the HDD. It slowed down to a halt after a while, so I
| cancelled it.

Be more patient. Or, better, perhaps copy it a folder at a time, even
rebooting in between or when you get to a slow one.

| I cleaned the CD-R and CD-RW drives, then tried copying Disk 2 from
the
| CD-RW drive, as I thought that drive speed might be an issue (i.e. too
| fast from the CD-R to the HDD). It got a bit further than it had from
| the CD-R, but then...CLUNK!...off.

Is this the first clunking that wasn't related to a boot?

| 1) Do you think this shows that my Office Disk 2 is officially
screwed?

It could be Windows is getting confused copying a ton of folders,
sub-folders & files. Give it the time it wants then reboot, or do it in
pieces.

| 2) What could be causing the regular problems when rebooting after an
| install, given that the Shutdown Supplement is in effect?

That's another tough one, probably unrelated to the current issue
though.

| 3) Given that my "CLUNK!" problem is still there, seems to happen at
| particular points (somewhere between the loading of the wallpaper and
| the system tray icons), is there *still* something in the Startup axis
| which could be causing this? Is it *still* the graphics drivers? Could
| something like DirectDraw be implicated (although DXDiag doesn't
| indicate a problem)?

It's strange to have a computer turn itself off. I'm too tired now to
think, though.