having trouble booting to safe mode

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

I followed the directions.... hold down the ctrl or F8 key while the
computer restarts. I grit my teeth when the computer complains about
a "stuck" key and wait until the ME screen comes up to let go. I've
even tapped the ctrl key until the ME screen comes up... but it always
boots to Windows.

How on earth do I get to Safe Mode? GRRRRR. Why didn't they just put
in on the menu like '98? This is driving me nuts.

TIA

Start>Run>MSCONFIG

Click on Advanced button.

"Enable Startup Menu."

If you want the default delay to be something other than30 sec., then
you'll need to edit MSDOS.SYS/.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I followed the directions.... hold down the ctrl or F8 key while the
> computer restarts. I grit my teeth when the computer complains about
> a "stuck" key and wait until the ME screen comes up to let go. I've
> even tapped the ctrl key until the ME screen comes up... but it always
> boots to Windows.
>
> How on earth do I get to Safe Mode? GRRRRR. Why didn't they just put
> in on the menu like '98? This is driving me nuts.
>
> TIA

Should you want to alter the msdos.sys file as Gary suggested, use this
article:

Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File [Q118579]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=118579

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I followed the directions.... hold down the ctrl or F8 key while the
> computer restarts. I grit my teeth when the computer complains about
> a "stuck" key and wait until the ME screen comes up to let go. I've
> even tapped the ctrl key until the ME screen comes up... but it always
> boots to Windows.
>
> How on earth do I get to Safe Mode? GRRRRR. Why didn't they just put
> in on the menu like '98? This is driving me nuts.
>
> TIA

Just noticed that we're talking about Windows Millennium Edition, here.
I'm fairly certain that MSDOS.SYS and other configuration advice we've
given here applies to ME. Unfortunately, I don't have an ME machine
handy to check it out.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"" wrote:
> I followed the directions.... hold down the ctrl or F8 key
> while the
> computer restarts. I grit my teeth when the computer
> complains about
> a "stuck" key and wait until the ME screen comes up to let go.
> I've
> even tapped the ctrl key until the ME screen comes up... but
> it always
> boots to Windows.
>
> How on earth do I get to Safe Mode? GRRRRR. Why didn't they
> just put
> in on the menu like '98? This is driving me nuts.
>
> TIA

Ok firtst when your computer is starting up watch for the F1 set up
setting , dont push F1 wait tell its going to load up and hold hown
Ctrl tell the next you hear it start loading up then a menu should
come up with about 6 picks. JUst keep trying that tell it works.Then
when it works you’ll have a pick to load in Safe mode. It worked
for me

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-trouble-booting-safe-mode-ftopict396067.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318865