Crashed USB Hard Drive

I am using windows 98SE and have a USB hard drive connected to it. While
transferring some files to this USB drive, the system crashed. Now explorer
sees the USB hard drive but cannot access it. The system locks up and the
only way to clear it is to turn off the USB hard drive. At that point,
explorer shows the folders that are on the drive, but now the drive is
turned off.

Is there any way to recover the data that I have on this drive from within
windows?
Also, is there a USB driver that will work in DOS? I have several disk
utilities that may do the trick, but they only work in DOS.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:53:56 -0400, "Dave Flinker"
<davef@yourgrant.com> wrote:

>I am using windows 98SE and have a USB hard drive connected to it. While
>transferring some files to this USB drive, the system crashed. Now explorer
>sees the USB hard drive but cannot access it. The system locks up and the
>only way to clear it is to turn off the USB hard drive. At that point,
>explorer shows the folders that are on the drive, but now the drive is
>turned off.

>Is there any way to recover the data that I have on this drive from within
>windows?
>Also, is there a USB driver that will work in DOS? I have several disk
>utilities that may do the trick, but they only work in DOS.

Here are some DOS USB articles and programs (some duplicated links):

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10215

http://www.pocketec.net/downloads.taf

http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter%20General.htm

Please note I've never tried to use these drivers, so I don't know if
they work.

Alternatively, you could try a linux live-CD, which might have USB
support. You might be able to get into the USB drive.

A third option is to remove the drive from the case and plug it
straight into a PC.

Sig:
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
-- Isaac Asimov