Can't install Win98

I just replaced a crashed hard drive in a circa 2000 Compaq Presario
desktop. Now I can't get Windows 98 to install. I would upgrade to
either Win2000 or XP, but Compaq offers no video drivers for anything
but Win98.

The problem is that I can't get the CD-ROM drive to boot the Win 98
CD. It will boot just about everything else from Win2000 to Caldera
DOS to Linux, but it says that the Win98 CD is not a boot CD.

I used NERO to burn a bootable CD that uses Caldera DOS, but after it
boots, I can't get it to find the CD where the Win98 CD is located.
This is really weird.

I keep reading about people making boot CD's for Win98 but I have not
found any step by step instruction or an ISO so far in my search.

It has been so long since I installed Win98 on a computer that I
really can't remember how I did it, but I sure don't remember any
problem like this.

It's at times like this that I wish that I had not tossed out those
old DOS 6.22 disks.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Maybe the Win98 CD isn't bootable. Not all of them were. The retail
versions (Full or Upgrade) do not.

Go to http://bootdisk.com/ and specifically to this page
http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and get a floppy bootdisk creation
file. Whichever one matches your system. OEM or Custom, really makes no
difference for installing. That bootdisk will have the CD drivers
necessary to access the CDROM drive. Boot to the floppy that you create,
choose CDROM Support when prompted, then prepare your HD and run
SETUP.EXE from the CD.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I just replaced a crashed hard drive in a circa 2000 Compaq Presario
> desktop. Now I can't get Windows 98 to install. I would upgrade to
> either Win2000 or XP, but Compaq offers no video drivers for anything
> but Win98.
>
> The problem is that I can't get the CD-ROM drive to boot the Win 98
> CD. It will boot just about everything else from Win2000 to Caldera
> DOS to Linux, but it says that the Win98 CD is not a boot CD.
>
> I used NERO to burn a bootable CD that uses Caldera DOS, but after it
> boots, I can't get it to find the CD where the Win98 CD is located.
> This is really weird.
>
> I keep reading about people making boot CD's for Win98 but I have not
> found any step by step instruction or an ISO so far in my search.
>
> It has been so long since I installed Win98 on a computer that I
> really can't remember how I did it, but I sure don't remember any
> problem like this.
>
> It's at times like this that I wish that I had not tossed out those
> old DOS 6.22 disks.
>
> Any help would certainly be appreciated.

If the install CD is the Recovery disk provided by the manufacturer, you need
to follow the instructions required by them to use it for a proper install.
Check any documentation provided with the machine or check the manufacturers
support site for instructions with your specific machine make/model.

If it is not an OEM CD it is not bootable. To install Windows boot the machine
with a 98 boot disk w/CD support, if you need one you can obtain one here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Read the linked instructions on how to create the disk from the download by
clicking Read1st in the right frame.

Once you have created the boot disk, boot the machine with it in the floppy
drive.
Select boot w/CD support from the menu when presented.
Note the assigned CD drive letter near the end of boot.
Once booted to DOS, type and press Enter after each line:

ASDL: (*Note- replace ASDL with the actual assigned drive letter you
noted*)
setup.exe

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I just replaced a crashed hard drive in a circa 2000 Compaq Presario
> desktop. Now I can't get Windows 98 to install. I would upgrade to
> either Win2000 or XP, but Compaq offers no video drivers for anything
> but Win98.
>
> The problem is that I can't get the CD-ROM drive to boot the Win 98
> CD. It will boot just about everything else from Win2000 to Caldera
> DOS to Linux, but it says that the Win98 CD is not a boot CD.
>
> I used NERO to burn a bootable CD that uses Caldera DOS, but after it
> boots, I can't get it to find the CD where the Win98 CD is located.
> This is really weird.
>
> I keep reading about people making boot CD's for Win98 but I have not
> found any step by step instruction or an ISO so far in my search.
>
> It has been so long since I installed Win98 on a computer that I
> really can't remember how I did it, but I sure don't remember any
> problem like this.
>
> It's at times like this that I wish that I had not tossed out those
> old DOS 6.22 disks.
>
> Any help would certainly be appreciated.

> I just replaced a crashed hard drive in a circa 2000 Compaq Presario
> desktop. Now I can't get Windows 98 to install. I would upgrade to
> either Win2000 or XP, but Compaq offers no video drivers for anything
> but Win98.

You should be able to get generic drivers for your VC - I wouldn't get the
Compaq ones anyway.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:28:30 -0400, Nospam <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

> I just replaced a crashed hard drive in a circa 2000 Compaq Presario
>desktop. Now I can't get Windows 98 to install. I would upgrade to
>either Win2000 or XP, but Compaq offers no video drivers for anything
>but Win98.
>
> The problem is that I can't get the CD-ROM drive to boot the Win 98
>CD. It will boot just about everything else from Win2000 to Caldera
>DOS to Linux, but it says that the Win98 CD is not a boot CD.
>
> I used NERO to burn a bootable CD that uses Caldera DOS, but after it
>boots, I can't get it to find the CD where the Win98 CD is located.
>This is really weird.
>
> I keep reading about people making boot CD's for Win98 but I have not
>found any step by step instruction or an ISO so far in my search.
>
> It has been so long since I installed Win98 on a computer that I
>really can't remember how I did it, but I sure don't remember any
>problem like this.
>
> It's at times like this that I wish that I had not tossed out those
>old DOS 6.22 disks.
>
> Any help would certainly be appreciated.

See my reply to your post in alt.windows98.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/