Uninstall Issue

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 16, 2005 6:22:37 PM

Right, here's my next problem (see "Office Update Borked My PC!" for the
rest of it...).

As part of trying to resolve the issue, I used Windows Installer Tidy Up
and deleted all the installers relating to MS Office.

Trouble now is, of course, there are no entries in Add/Remove Programs
to enable me to uninstall MS Office so that I can re-install it.

The Program icons are still there, but when double-clicked, they either
can't find the file or start to open and then say that I need to install
the program.

I still have the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office, with the
various files still in there.

Is it safe/advisable simply to delete this folder before trying to
reinstall Office? What of any registry entries or other files/settings
which may either get screwed by trying this, or which will simply get in
the way of a reinstall?

TIA
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

More about : uninstall issue

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:22:38 PM

Have you tried merely reinstalling Office? That is, why do you think
you should uninstall Office before reinstalling it?

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:51:12 PM

Run the Office CD to reinstall/repair/remove what you want. There is no need to
uninstall Office from Add/Remove, everything can be done from the CD without
harm. Office CD's are setup so when you select what you want or not. Later on if
you decide you want/need something else that you did not include the first time,
simply pop the CD in, run setup and select the item you now want. Anything
unchecked will not be installed and anything checked will.
Any docs/files you created should be accessible after reinstalling.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Nigel Stapley" <unet@judgemental.plus.com> wrote in message
> Right, here's my next problem (see "Office Update Borked My PC!" for the rest
> of it...).
>
> As part of trying to resolve the issue, I used Windows Installer Tidy Up and
> deleted all the installers relating to MS Office.
>
> Trouble now is, of course, there are no entries in Add/Remove Programs to
> enable me to uninstall MS Office so that I can re-install it.
>
> The Program icons are still there, but when double-clicked, they either can't
> find the file or start to open and then say that I need to install the
> program.
>
> I still have the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office, with the various
> files still in there.
>
> Is it safe/advisable simply to delete this folder before trying to reinstall
> Office? What of any registry entries or other files/settings which may either
> get screwed by trying this, or which will simply get in the way of a
> reinstall?
>
> TIA
> --
> Regards
>
> Nigel Stapley
>
> www.judgemental.plus.com
>
> <reply-to will bounce>
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:16:58 PM

Bill Starbuck wrote:
> Have you tried merely reinstalling Office? That is, why do you think
> you should uninstall Office before reinstalling it?

'Cos I'm a bit wary of the Office installation getting what we
technically-minded people call, "its head stuck up its arse"! ;-)

I haven't tried reinstalling Office yet, because I'm still struggling
with the other problems.

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley