Explorer display problem

I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
"Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
situation?

Thanks for your help!

Rita
33 answers Last reply
More about explorer display problem

    Rita,
    I do not have the answer, never used me. But have you tried setting it to
    details and then restarting the computer to see if that might make it stick.

    Sammy Castagna

    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    > I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
    > settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
    > Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
    > "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
    > situation?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Rita

    "START, Settings, Folder Options, General tab". Set to "Classic
    style". If all gets better, click "Custom...", & gingerly go back to how
    you like it. But stay away from "Enable all Web related content...".

    Next, open a folder, &...

    (1) Set the folder as you will.
    (2) Even resize it, USING the mouse and dragging the borders.
    (3) Hold Ctrl as you click to close the folder/window.
    (4) Perhaps, reboot.

    If you wish, also "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab, Reset all
    folders" before step (1). Then, "Like current folder" before step (3).
    Of course, all individualized folder settings, except perhaps "thumbnail
    view", will be lost. If still unhappy, try turning off "Remember each
    folders' view settings" before step (1), and back on later.

    Here are some articles that might have additional info.
    Items in "Open" and "Save As" Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q229070

    Contents of the Open and Save As Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q233526

    Items in Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly

    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    | I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
    | settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
    | Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
    | "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
    | situation?
    |
    | Thanks for your help!
    |
    | Rita

    After you set the view you want, open Explorer, click view, folder options,
    view tab and click the "like current folder" button.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    > I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
    > settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
    > Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
    > "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
    > situation?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Rita

    First of all, you'd do better to *disable* "Remember Each Folder's View
    Settings". This "remember" function remembers only the last couple of
    hundred folders that you have changed--*any* change. If you do much work
    in Explorer you'll find that the two hundred "memories" don't last long.

    So, first go into Folder Options and uncheck that "Remember" item, and
    while you're there I recommend check "Show All Files" and *uncheck*
    "Hide Extensions for known filetypes." Click OK. Then in a "normal"
    folder, say some subfolder in Program Files (not Windows or
    Windows\System or any other "special" folder), choose the format you
    want--I assume it's Detail View, sorting on "Name" ascending.

    Now go back into Folder Options, View tab, and click on the button at
    top that says "Like Current Folder" or something like that. OK your way
    out, then hold down the left Ctrl key and click on the red X at upper
    right to close the window. Important to hold down Ctrl key.

    Make sure you do the above with all other Explorer windows closed. With
    luck, you'll be back to the way you like it and it will stay that way.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    > I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
    > settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
    > Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
    > "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
    > situation?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Rita

    Many thanks to all of you. I now have detail view working with all
    folders. I'm not quite sure which of your suggestions work best,
    although, since I tried all of them, it appears that several of them are
    effective. Now I have a second question. I would like to use another
    option for several folders I have on my desktop. Here again Win98 does
    not seem to remember that I select the "Large Icons" view for the
    particular folder.

    I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows. Ever
    since, some things do not seem to work the same as they did before.

    Thanks, guys, if you can help me on this one.

    Rita

    Rita Goldberg wrote:
    > I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
    > settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
    > Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
    > "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
    > situation?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Rita

    Reread Gary's opening comment as it explains why individual views doesn't
    work good.

    --

    > Many thanks to all of you. I now have detail view working with all
    > folders. I'm not quite sure which of your suggestions work best, although,
    > since I tried all of them, it appears that several of them are effective.
    > Now I have a second question. I would like to use another option for
    > several folders I have on my desktop. Here again Win98 does not seem to
    > remember that I select the "Large Icons" view for the particular folder.
    >
    > I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows. Ever
    > since, some things do not seem to work the same as they did before.
    >
    > Thanks, guys, if you can help me on this one.
    >
    > Rita
    >

    > Rita Goldberg wrote:
    >> I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
    >> settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
    >> Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
    >> "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
    >> situation?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> Rita

    You are welcome. If you turned off "Remember each folder's view
    settings", you need to turn it back on. Otherwise, it won't remember new
    ones.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    | Many thanks to all of you. I now have detail view working with all
    | folders. I'm not quite sure which of your suggestions work best,
    | although, since I tried all of them, it appears that several of them
    are
    | effective. Now I have a second question. I would like to use another
    | option for several folders I have on my desktop. Here again Win98 does
    | not seem to remember that I select the "Large Icons" view for the
    | particular folder.
    |
    | I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows. Ever
    | since, some things do not seem to work the same as they did before.
    |
    | Thanks, guys, if you can help me on this one.
    |
    | Rita
    |

    | Rita Goldberg wrote:
    | > I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the
    view
    | > settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
    | > Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
    | > "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
    | > situation?
    | >
    | > Thanks for your help!
    | >
    | > Rita

    I did that, but the setting doesn't stick. Everything opens in detail
    view, which is much better than before, although I'd prefer other views
    for my desktop folders.

    Rita

    PCR wrote:
    > You are welcome. If you turned off "Remember each folder's view
    > settings", you need to turn it back on. Otherwise, it won't remember new
    > ones.

    Yikes, I seem to have lost individual folder settings in Explorer too
    now. But I still have them in My Computer. Can you do it after clicking
    My Computer, instead of using an Explorer shortcut?

    They seem to stick in My Computer, but Explorer will not honor it. I
    need to play with it some more.

    --
    | I did that, but the setting doesn't stick. Everything opens in detail
    | view, which is much better than before, although I'd prefer other
    | for my desktop folders.
    |
    | Rita
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > You are welcome. If you turned off "Remember each folder's view
    | > settings", you need to turn it back on. Otherwise, it won't remember
    new
    | > ones.

    This is all a mystery to me. Just as has happened to you, I'm unable to
    save individual folder settings. Unless a solution appears soon, I'm
    going to give up. Yesterday I spent some time checking the Web as well
    as the Microsoft site and found that this issue has been around for
    years. Worst of all, there seems to be no solution. The settings worked
    fine for me until some point a few days ago when things changed.
    Unfortunately, I can't determine if something I did caused the change or
    if it just "happened."

    Please let us know if you find a solution that works for you.

    Rita

    PCR wrote:
    > Yikes, I seem to have lost individual folder settings in Explorer too
    > now. But I still have them in My Computer. Can you do it after clicking
    > My Computer, instead of using an Explorer shortcut?
    >
    > They seem to stick in My Computer, but Explorer will not honor it. I
    > need to play with it some more.

    Rita,

    There are two hundred registry keys in W98SE that store folder settings.
    Once the keys are used up, the system cannot remember more settings so
    previous settings are bumped to make way for new ones. It is best just to
    pick a given setting and use it for everything.

    --

    > This is all a mystery to me. Just as has happened to you, I'm unable to
    > save individual folder settings. Unless a solution appears soon, I'm going
    > to give up. Yesterday I spent some time checking the Web as well as the
    > Microsoft site and found that this issue has been around for years. Worst
    > of all, there seems to be no solution. The settings worked fine for me
    > until some point a few days ago when things changed. Unfortunately, I
    > can't determine if something I did caused the change or if it just
    > "happened."
    >
    > Please let us know if you find a solution that works for you.
    >
    > Rita
    >

    > PCR wrote:
    >> Yikes, I seem to have lost individual folder settings in Explorer too
    >> now. But I still have them in My Computer. Can you do it after clicking
    >> My Computer, instead of using an Explorer shortcut?
    >>
    >> They seem to stick in My Computer, but Explorer will not honor it. I
    >> need to play with it some more.

    Thanks, that's what I figured. Too bad. Does this work better in XP?

    Rita

    Ron Badour wrote:
    > Rita,
    >
    > There are two hundred registry keys in W98SE that store folder settings.
    > Once the keys are used up, the system cannot remember more settings so
    > previous settings are bumped to make way for new ones. It is best just to
    > pick a given setting and use it for everything.

    I can't say--I use one setting with it also :-)

    --

    > Thanks, that's what I figured. Too bad. Does this work better in XP?
    >
    > Rita
    >
    > Ron Badour wrote:
    >> Rita,
    >>
    >> There are two hundred registry keys in W98SE that store folder settings.
    >> Once the keys are used up, the system cannot remember more settings so
    >> previous settings are bumped to make way for new ones. It is best just
    >> to pick a given setting and use it for everything.

    I think you & I are having a different issue from what the others are
    thinking. In that one, changing a view setting will not stick, BUT it
    doesn't change every folder's view. This issue seems to be the reverse.
    It sticks, BUT all folders are changed!

    It only happens to me in Explorer, started with a shortcut or with
    "R-Clk 'My Computer', Explore". Then, when I change to, say, Large Icons
    in any folder, all folders will change & stick.

    Instead of that, click your "My Computer" icon on the Desktop. Things
    will work in there individually for the View options & stick. But
    Explorer will not honor it, nor will changing views in Explorer muss "My
    Computer".

    Is it that way for you?

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    | This is all a mystery to me. Just as has happened to you, I'm unable
    | save individual folder settings. Unless a solution appears soon, I'm
    | going to give up. Yesterday I spent some time checking the Web as well
    | as the Microsoft site and found that this issue has been around for
    | years. Worst of all, there seems to be no solution. The settings
    worked
    | fine for me until some point a few days ago when things changed.
    | Unfortunately, I can't determine if something I did caused the change
    or
    | if it just "happened."
    |
    | Please let us know if you find a solution that works for you.
    |
    | Rita
    |

    | PCR wrote:
    | > Yikes, I seem to have lost individual folder settings in Explorer
    too
    | > now. But I still have them in My Computer. Can you do it after
    clicking
    | > My Computer, instead of using an Explorer shortcut?
    | >
    | > They seem to stick in My Computer, but Explorer will not honor it. I
    | > need to play with it some more.

    So, you would love this bug-a-boo! Change one folder's view, & they all
    change! This is really the reverse of the older problem.

    --
    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    | I can't say--I use one setting with it also :-)
    |
    | --
    | Regards
    |

    | Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    | Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    | Knowledge Base Info:
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    |

    | "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    | > Thanks, that's what I figured. Too bad. Does this work better in XP?
    | >
    | > Rita
    | >
    | > Ron Badour wrote:
    | >> Rita,
    | >>
    | >> There are two hundred registry keys in W98SE that store folder
    settings.
    | >> Once the keys are used up, the system cannot remember more settings
    so
    | >> previous settings are bumped to make way for new ones. It is best
    just
    | >> to pick a given setting and use it for everything.

    I think our problem is not the same. After fooling around quite a bit
    using the suggestions sent in response to my first inquiry, I was at
    last able to change the folder view for all folders. Now it's detail
    view. It's when I try to change the view for individual folders that the
    modification doesn't stick, i.e. I change the view but the folder opens
    in detail view anyway the next time. This appears to be the same for all
    folders, including "My Computer."

    I deduce from comments here and elsewhere that I'm stuck with the
    situation because of Windows' 200-file limitation. The funny thing is
    that I had no problem modifying folder views with my previous
    installation of Win98 which had many, many more folders than my current
    reinstallation. I've seen some suggestions for modifying the registry,
    but I'm afraid to try them... Two weeks ago, something went wrong with
    the registry and, as a result, I had to format my hard drive and
    reinstall Windows. Don't want to do that again any time soon!

    Rita

    >I think our problem is not the same. After fooling around quite a bit
    >using the suggestions sent in response to my first inquiry, I was at
    >last able to change the folder view for all folders. Now it's detail
    >view. It's when I try to change the view for individual folders that
    >the modification doesn't stick, i.e. I change the view but the folder
    >opens in detail view anyway the next time. This appears to be the same
    >for all folders, including "My Computer."

    That is the result that was intended by the instructions I gave. If you
    *want* to re-enable "Remember Each Folder's View Settings", be my guest.
    It might work for a while, might work for a long time. Your Mileage May
    Vary.

    > I deduce from comments here and elsewhere that I'm stuck with the
    > situation because of Windows' 200-file limitation. The funny thing is
    > that I had no problem modifying folder views with my previous
    > installation of Win98 which had many, many more folders than my
    > current reinstallation. I've seen some suggestions for modifying the
    > registry, but I'm afraid to try them... Two weeks ago, something went
    > wrong with the registry and, as a result, I had to format my hard
    > drive and reinstall Windows. Don't want to do that again any time
    > soon!
    >
    > Rita

    It's not the number of folders that is at issue. What's limited is the
    number of entries permitted in the Registry that detail a folder and its
    view settings--and you could have one folder filling all of those
    entries. Take one folder and change its View settings (anything about
    the way it looks) and you have a new entry. Change it two hundred times
    (more or less), and you've filled the list, with each new entry
    prompting the deletion of an old one.

    The main problem is way this particular part of the Registry it built
    and functions. It just seems to have a hard time maintaining that little
    database properly, properly aging out the truly old entries, leaving the
    newer ones. In my experience, it occasionally works as advertised, but
    in the vast majority of cases I've encountered, it doesn't work well.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Same thing I have seen. W95 and W98 were even worse in that W95 only had
    28 registry settings while the original W98 had 100.
    --

    > "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    >>I think our problem is not the same. After fooling around quite a bit
    >>using the suggestions sent in response to my first inquiry, I was at last
    >>able to change the folder view for all folders. Now it's detail view. It's
    >>when I try to change the view for individual folders that the modification
    >>doesn't stick, i.e. I change the view but the folder opens in detail view
    >>anyway the next time. This appears to be the same for all folders,
    >>including "My Computer."
    >
    > That is the result that was intended by the instructions I gave. If you
    > *want* to re-enable "Remember Each Folder's View Settings", be my guest.
    > It might work for a while, might work for a long time. Your Mileage May
    > Vary.
    >
    >> I deduce from comments here and elsewhere that I'm stuck with the
    >> situation because of Windows' 200-file limitation. The funny thing is
    >> that I had no problem modifying folder views with my previous
    >> installation of Win98 which had many, many more folders than my current
    >> reinstallation. I've seen some suggestions for modifying the registry,
    >> but I'm afraid to try them... Two weeks ago, something went wrong with
    >> the registry and, as a result, I had to format my hard drive and
    >> reinstall Windows. Don't want to do that again any time soon!
    >>
    >> Rita
    >
    > It's not the number of folders that is at issue. What's limited is the
    > number of entries permitted in the Registry that detail a folder and its
    > view settings--and you could have one folder filling all of those entries.
    > Take one folder and change its View settings (anything about the way it
    > looks) and you have a new entry. Change it two hundred times (more or
    > less), and you've filled the list, with each new entry prompting the
    > deletion of an old one.
    >
    > The main problem is way this particular part of the Registry it built and
    > functions. It just seems to have a hard time maintaining that little
    > database properly, properly aging out the truly old entries, leaving the
    > newer ones. In my experience, it occasionally works as advertised, but in
    > the vast majority of cases I've encountered, it doesn't work well.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User

    Yes, you seem to have the old problem. For me, that one now/then
    appeared to come/go. Now, for me...

    (a) My Computer works well with that.
    (b) Explorer does opposite of the old problem.

    I've got something new & soon will play with it some more. Good luck
    with yours. Well, perhaps go through the rigmarole I posted earlier once
    more about a month from now.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    | I think our problem is not the same. After fooling around quite a bit
    | using the suggestions sent in response to my first inquiry, I was at
    | last able to change the folder view for all folders. Now it's detail
    | view. It's when I try to change the view for individual folders that
    the
    | modification doesn't stick, i.e. I change the view but the folder
    opens
    | in detail view anyway the next time. This appears to be the same for
    all
    | folders, including "My Computer."
    |
    | I deduce from comments here and elsewhere that I'm stuck with the
    | situation because of Windows' 200-file limitation. The funny thing is
    | that I had no problem modifying folder views with my previous
    | installation of Win98 which had many, many more folders than my
    current
    | reinstallation. I've seen some suggestions for modifying the registry,
    | but I'm afraid to try them... Two weeks ago, something went wrong
    with
    | the registry and, as a result, I had to format my hard drive and
    | reinstall Windows. Don't want to do that again any time soon!
    |
    | Rita
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > I think you & I are having a different issue from what the others
    are
    | > thinking. In that one, changing a view setting will not stick, BUT
    it
    | > doesn't change every folder's view. This issue seems to be the
    reverse.
    | > It sticks, BUT all folders are changed!
    | >
    | > It only happens to me in Explorer, started with a shortcut or with
    | > "R-Clk 'My Computer', Explore". Then, when I change to, say, Large
    Icons
    | > in any folder, all folders will change & stick.
    | >
    | > Instead of that, click your "My Computer" icon on the Desktop.
    Things
    | > will work in there individually for the View options & stick. But
    | > Explorer will not honor it, nor will changing views in Explorer muss
    "My
    | > Computer".
    | >
    | > Is it that way for you?

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thanks. I'll try again in a month or so. I still think it's a registry
    problem of some sort. but the problem is not so huge as to merit
    possible additional major trouble.

    Rita

    PCR wrote:
    > Yes, you seem to have the old problem. For me, that one now/then
    > appeared to come/go. Now, for me...
    >
    > (a) My Computer works well with that.
    > (b) Explorer does opposite of the old problem.
    >
    > I've got something new & soon will play with it some more. Good luck
    > with yours. Well, perhaps go through the rigmarole I posted earlier once
    > more about a month from now.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You are welcome. I've come to agree with you, after extracting a new
    Explorer.exe & the IE Repair Tool have both failed to cure me. Good
    luck, then, & may you continue to choose your battles wisely!

    --
    | Thanks. I'll try again in a month or so. I still think it's a registry
    | problem of some sort. but the problem is not so huge as to merit
    | possible additional major trouble.
    |
    | Rita
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > Yes, you seem to have the old problem. For me, that one now/then
    | > appeared to come/go. Now, for me...
    | >
    | > (a) My Computer works well with that.
    | > (b) Explorer does opposite of the old problem.
    | >
    | > I've got something new & soon will play with it some more. Good luck
    | > with yours. Well, perhaps go through the rigmarole I posted earlier
    once
    | > more about a month from now.

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    As Gary stated, re-enable "Remember Each Folder's View Settings", and then set your
    commonly-used folders as you want them, one at a time, with only one open at a
    time....Detail view, sorted by extension, or what have you. When you have a folder
    window or Explorer window set to the view you want, press F5, then close the window
    by holding down the CTRL key while you click the X in the upper right corner to
    exit.

    When you have those particular windows set this way, they should each open the next
    time the way you had closed them. As you open various other windows they will use
    some of those 200 remembered settings in the Registry....eventually, one of your set
    folders will lose its setting, and you will have to start resetting them again. if
    you can live with that, you should have your folder views as you want them for a
    fair amount of time. I have used this method for a long time.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    > I think our problem is not the same. After fooling around quite a bit
    > using the suggestions sent in response to my first inquiry, I was at
    > last able to change the folder view for all folders. Now it's detail
    > view. It's when I try to change the view for individual folders that the
    > modification doesn't stick, i.e. I change the view but the folder opens
    > in detail view anyway the next time. This appears to be the same for all
    > folders, including "My Computer."
    >
    > I deduce from comments here and elsewhere that I'm stuck with the
    > situation because of Windows' 200-file limitation. The funny thing is
    > that I had no problem modifying folder views with my previous
    > installation of Win98 which had many, many more folders than my current
    > reinstallation. I've seen some suggestions for modifying the registry,
    > but I'm afraid to try them... Two weeks ago, something went wrong with
    > the registry and, as a result, I had to format my hard drive and
    > reinstall Windows. Don't want to do that again any time soon!
    >
    > Rita
    >
    > PCR wrote:
    > > I think you & I are having a different issue from what the others are
    > > thinking. In that one, changing a view setting will not stick, BUT it
    > > doesn't change every folder's view. This issue seems to be the reverse.
    > > It sticks, BUT all folders are changed!
    > >
    > > It only happens to me in Explorer, started with a shortcut or with
    > > "R-Clk 'My Computer', Explore". Then, when I change to, say, Large Icons
    > > in any folder, all folders will change & stick.
    > >
    > > Instead of that, click your "My Computer" icon on the Desktop. Things
    > > will work in there individually for the View options & stick. But
    > > Explorer will not honor it, nor will changing views in Explorer muss "My
    > > Computer".
    > >
    > > Is it that way for you?

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I do thank you for your suggestions, but unfortunately they don't work.
    Nothing happens when I try to set the display for particular folders
    using your method, that is, the folder opens exactly the way it was,
    with the original settings. And, yes, I did check "Remember Each
    Folder's View Settings." I'm almost resigned to having the same view
    for all folders...

    Rita

    glee wrote:
    > As Gary stated, re-enable "Remember Each Folder's View Settings", and then set your
    > commonly-used folders as you want them, one at a time, with only one open at a
    > time....Detail view, sorted by extension, or what have you. When you have a folder
    > window or Explorer window set to the view you want, press F5, then close the window
    > by holding down the CTRL key while you click the X in the upper right corner to
    > exit.
    >
    > When you have those particular windows set this way, they should each open the next
    > time the way you had closed them. As you open various other windows they will use
    > some of those 200 remembered settings in the Registry....eventually, one of your set
    > folders will lose its setting, and you will have to start resetting them again. if
    > you can live with that, you should have your folder views as you want them for a
    > fair amount of time. I have used this method for a long time.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Dunno what to tell ya.....they work here and have worked for quite a lot of other
    users who have followed them. Do you have only the one folder window or Explorer
    window open when you do it? All other Explorer and folder windows should be
    closed....do only one folder at a time. You must press and hold the CTRL key while
    you are closing the window with the X in the upper right.
    --

    > I do thank you for your suggestions, but unfortunately they don't work.
    > Nothing happens when I try to set the display for particular folders
    > using your method, that is, the folder opens exactly the way it was,
    > with the original settings. And, yes, I did check "Remember Each
    > Folder's View Settings." I'm almost resigned to having the same view
    > for all folders...
    >
    > Rita
    >
    > glee wrote:
    > > As Gary stated, re-enable "Remember Each Folder's View Settings", and then set
    your
    > > commonly-used folders as you want them, one at a time, with only one open at a
    > > time....Detail view, sorted by extension, or what have you. When you have a
    folder
    > > window or Explorer window set to the view you want, press F5, then close the
    window
    > > by holding down the CTRL key while you click the X in the upper right corner to
    > > exit.
    > >
    > > When you have those particular windows set this way, they should each open the
    next
    > > time the way you had closed them. As you open various other windows they will
    use
    > > some of those 200 remembered settings in the Registry....eventually, one of your
    set
    > > folders will lose its setting, and you will have to start resetting them again.
    if
    > > you can live with that, you should have your folder views as you want them for a
    > > fair amount of time. I have used this method for a long time.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thanks again for being so helpful. Trouble is I've been doing all you
    say, but it just doesn't work for me. Windows doesn't remember the new
    settings for individual folders. C'est la vie...

    Rita

    glee wrote:
    > Dunno what to tell ya.....they work here and have worked for quite a lot of other
    > users who have followed them. Do you have only the one folder window or Explorer
    > window open when you do it? All other Explorer and folder windows should be
    > closed....do only one folder at a time. You must press and hold the CTRL key while
    > you are closing the window with the X in the upper right.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Bummer. Well, at least you can feel "unique". ;-)
    --

    > Thanks again for being so helpful. Trouble is I've been doing all you
    > say, but it just doesn't work for me. Windows doesn't remember the new
    > settings for individual folders. C'est la vie...
    >
    > Rita
    >

    > glee wrote:
    > > Dunno what to tell ya.....they work here and have worked for quite a lot of
    other
    > > users who have followed them. Do you have only the one folder window or
    Explorer
    > > window open when you do it? All other Explorer and folder windows should be
    > > closed....do only one folder at a time. You must press and hold the CTRL key
    while
    > > you are closing the window with the X in the upper right.
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I dunno... Could be unique, but I seem to recall a few at least similar
    situations popping up several years ago... IIRC, those mostly turned out
    to be due to unexpected consequences from using TUI.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Bummer. Well, at least you can feel "unique". ;-)
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    >> Thanks again for being so helpful. Trouble is I've been doing all you
    >> say, but it just doesn't work for me. Windows doesn't remember the
    >> new
    >> settings for individual folders. C'est la vie...
    >>
    >> Rita
    >>

    >> glee wrote:
    >> > Dunno what to tell ya.....they work here and have worked for quite
    >> > a lot of
    > other
    >> > users who have followed them. Do you have only the one folder
    >> > window or
    > Explorer
    >> > window open when you do it? All other Explorer and folder windows
    >> > should be
    >> > closed....do only one folder at a time. You must press and hold
    >> > the CTRL key
    > while
    >> > you are closing the window with the X in the upper right.

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Voila!! I bit the bullet and decided to check into a possible registry
    fix. That's when I found some great information at annoyances.org. Just
    click on this link and scroll down to the last entry, the one by Howard
    Lang.
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1017671336
    I followed the instructions and now everything works as it should, i.e.
    each folder remembers its setting. Actually, I simplified the
    instructions and just deleted the NoSaveSettings key after exporting it
    as explained in the instructions. If something goes wrong, I'll do the
    rest of the fix described in the message.

    Rita

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > I dunno... Could be unique, but I seem to recall a few at least similar
    > situations popping up several years ago... IIRC, those mostly turned out
    > to be due to unexpected consequences from using TUI.

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    One to remember. Thanks for posting back!

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Voila!! I bit the bullet and decided to check into a possible registry
    > fix. That's when I found some great information at annoyances.org.
    > Just click on this link and scroll down to the last entry, the one by
    > Howard Lang.
    > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1017671336
    > I followed the instructions and now everything works as it should,
    > i.e. each folder remembers its setting. Actually, I simplified the
    > instructions and just deleted the NoSaveSettings key after exporting
    > it as explained in the instructions. If something goes wrong, I'll do
    > the rest of the fix described in the message.
    >
    > Rita
    >

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >> I dunno... Could be unique, but I seem to recall a few at least
    >> similar situations popping up several years ago... IIRC, those mostly
    >> turned out to be due to unexpected consequences from using TUI.

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yes, we are familiar with the NoSaveSettings value (it is often added or modified by
    TweakUI and other utilities), but the particular series of procedures described in
    that post you found is a new variation that I have not seen.
    Nice find, Rita!
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    > Voila!! I bit the bullet and decided to check into a possible registry
    > fix. That's when I found some great information at annoyances.org. Just
    > click on this link and scroll down to the last entry, the one by Howard
    > Lang.
    > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1017671336
    > I followed the instructions and now everything works as it should, i.e.
    > each folder remembers its setting. Actually, I simplified the
    > instructions and just deleted the NoSaveSettings key after exporting it
    > as explained in the instructions. If something goes wrong, I'll do the
    > rest of the fix described in the message.
    >
    > Rita
    >

    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > I dunno... Could be unique, but I seem to recall a few at least similar
    > > situations popping up several years ago... IIRC, those mostly turned out
    > > to be due to unexpected consequences from using TUI.

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Well, glad you are fixed. Here is an article about "NoSaveSettings"...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q130234
    Save Settings On Exit Option Enabled by Default
    ....Quote.............
    ....snip...
    Setting the NoSaveSettings field to 1 prevents your settings from being
    saved. When you set this value, the following items are not saved when
    you exit Windows:

    Changed icon positions on the desktop.
    Windows that are open when you exit.
    The size and position of the taskbar.
    ....End quote.......

    Odd: It doesn't quite say it would prevent individual folder settings,
    as I am unaware a reboot is needed for that. Did your "NoSaveSettings"
    come back in the Registry with a value of zero after you deleted it? Was
    it a "1" to begin with? (I don't have it in my Registry.)

    Also odd: I think the procedure Lang describes wouldn't do what he
    says. He doesn't say he actually deleted the two unwanted entries in the
    Registry, but only in the Export. Merging it back wouldn't delete them,
    unless a special line was also added to the top of that Export.

    ......Quote......
    1. I read the information at
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry/
    2. I went back to my "bad" computer, and exported
    the registry key, [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    \CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer].
    3. I saved the exported registry key as nosavold.reg.
    4. I edited nosavold.reg (removed the two strings),
    and saved that as nosavnew.reg.
    5. I merged nosavnew.reg into my registry.
    ......EOQ........

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
    | Voila!! I bit the bullet and decided to check into a possible registry
    | fix. That's when I found some great information at annoyances.org.
    Just
    | click on this link and scroll down to the last entry, the one by
    Howard
    | Lang.
    | http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1017671336
    | I followed the instructions and now everything works as it should,
    i.e.
    | each folder remembers its setting. Actually, I simplified the
    | instructions and just deleted the NoSaveSettings key after exporting
    it
    | as explained in the instructions. If something goes wrong, I'll do the
    | rest of the fix described in the message.
    |
    | Rita
    |

    | Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    | > I dunno... Could be unique, but I seem to recall a few at least
    similar
    | > situations popping up several years ago... IIRC, those mostly turned
    out
    | > to be due to unexpected consequences from using TUI.

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yes, I thought also that Lang's procedure was a little odd. That's why I
    exported the key but, in fact, deleted it from the Registry. It has not
    been generated by Windows, so, in my case at least, it appears that it
    isn't necessary. I'm not much of a Registry maven, but the fix works so
    why worry. I also notice that Explorer seems to open a little faster
    now, which makes me think that before I deleted the key Windows was
    trying to do something it couldn't accomplish. It's been interesting,
    and I'm grateful for everyone's help and ideas.

    Rita

    PCR wrote:
    > Well, glad you are fixed. Here is an article about "NoSaveSettings"...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q130234
    > Save Settings On Exit Option Enabled by Default
    > ...Quote.............
    > ...snip...
    > Setting the NoSaveSettings field to 1 prevents your settings from being
    > saved. When you set this value, the following items are not saved when
    > you exit Windows:
    >
    > Changed icon positions on the desktop.
    > Windows that are open when you exit.
    > The size and position of the taskbar.
    > ...End quote.......
    >
    > Odd: It doesn't quite say it would prevent individual folder settings,
    > as I am unaware a reboot is needed for that. Did your "NoSaveSettings"
    > come back in the Registry with a value of zero after you deleted it? Was
    > it a "1" to begin with? (I don't have it in my Registry.)
    >
    > Also odd: I think the procedure Lang describes wouldn't do what he
    > says. He doesn't say he actually deleted the two unwanted entries in the
    > Registry, but only in the Export. Merging it back wouldn't delete them,
    > unless a special line was also added to the top of that Export.
    >
    > .....Quote......
    > 1. I read the information at
    > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry/
    > 2. I went back to my "bad" computer, and exported
    > the registry key, [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    > \CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer].
    > 3. I saved the exported registry key as nosavold.reg.
    > 4. I edited nosavold.reg (removed the two strings),
    > and saved that as nosavnew.reg.
    > 5. I merged nosavnew.reg into my registry.
    > .....EOQ........

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You are welcome. Yea, you did well. Odd Lang says his "NoSaveSettings"
    came back, albeit with zeros. Wait a minute! The procedure he described
    never deleted it. It must have already been zeros, or he did something
    other than what he wrote.

    Very mysterious that deleting that value is a cure for this at all, but
    I'll keep it in mind for the next poor soul or two who complain of it.
    OK, bye.

    --
    | Yes, I thought also that Lang's procedure was a little odd. That's why
    | exported the key but, in fact, deleted it from the Registry. It has
    not
    | been generated by Windows, so, in my case at least, it appears that it
    | isn't necessary. I'm not much of a Registry maven, but the fix works
    so
    | why worry. I also notice that Explorer seems to open a little faster
    | now, which makes me think that before I deleted the key Windows was
    | trying to do something it couldn't accomplish. It's been interesting,
    | and I'm grateful for everyone's help and ideas.
    |
    | Rita
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > Well, glad you are fixed. Here is an article about
    "NoSaveSettings"...

    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q130234
    | > Save Settings On Exit Option Enabled by Default
    | > ...Quote.............
    | > ...snip...
    | > Setting the NoSaveSettings field to 1 prevents your settings from
    being
    | > saved. When you set this value, the following items are not saved
    when
    | > you exit Windows:
    | >
    | > Changed icon positions on the desktop.
    | > Windows that are open when you exit.
    | > The size and position of the taskbar.
    | > ...End quote.......
    | >
    | > Odd: It doesn't quite say it would prevent individual folder
    settings,
    | > as I am unaware a reboot is needed for that. Did your
    "NoSaveSettings"
    | > come back in the Registry with a value of zero after you deleted it?
    Was
    | > it a "1" to begin with? (I don't have it in my Registry.)
    | >
    | > Also odd: I think the procedure Lang describes wouldn't do what he
    | > says. He doesn't say he actually deleted the two unwanted entries in
    the
    | > Registry, but only in the Export. Merging it back wouldn't delete
    them,
    | > unless a special line was also added to the top of that Export.
    | >
    | > .....Quote......
    | > 1. I read the information at
    | > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry/
    | > 2. I went back to my "bad" computer, and exported
    | > the registry key, [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    | > \CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer].
    | > 3. I saved the exported registry key as nosavold.reg.
    | > 4. I edited nosavold.reg (removed the two strings),
    | > and saved that as nosavnew.reg.
    | > 5. I merged nosavnew.reg into my registry.

Microsoft Explorer Windows Displays