Explorer display problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 16, 2005 8:39:13 PM

I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
"Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
situation?

Thanks for your help!

Rita
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:39:14 PM

Rita,
I do not have the answer, never used me. But have you tried setting it to
details and then restarting the computer to see if that might make it stick.

Sammy Castagna

"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
> I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
> settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
> Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
> "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
> situation?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Rita
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:39:14 PM

"START, Settings, Folder Options, General tab". Set to "Classic
style". If all gets better, click "Custom...", & gingerly go back to how
you like it. But stay away from "Enable all Web related content...".

Next, open a folder, &...

(1) Set the folder as you will.
(2) Even resize it, USING the mouse and dragging the borders.
(3) Hold Ctrl as you click to close the folder/window.
(4) Perhaps, reboot.

If you wish, also "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab, Reset all
folders" before step (1). Then, "Like current folder" before step (3).
Of course, all individualized folder settings, except perhaps "thumbnail
view", will be lost. If still unhappy, try turning off "Remember each
folders' view settings" before step (1), and back on later.

Here are some articles that might have additional info.
Items in "Open" and "Save As" Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q229070

Contents of the Open and Save As Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q233526

Items in Dialog Boxes Sorted Incorrectly

Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
| I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
| settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
| Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
| "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
| situation?
|
| Thanks for your help!
|
| Rita
July 16, 2005 8:39:14 PM

After you set the view you want, open Explorer, click view, folder options,
view tab and click the "like current folder" button.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
> I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
> settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
> Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
> "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
> situation?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Rita
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:39:14 PM

First of all, you'd do better to *disable* "Remember Each Folder's View
Settings". This "remember" function remembers only the last couple of
hundred folders that you have changed--*any* change. If you do much work
in Explorer you'll find that the two hundred "memories" don't last long.

So, first go into Folder Options and uncheck that "Remember" item, and
while you're there I recommend check "Show All Files" and *uncheck*
"Hide Extensions for known filetypes." Click OK. Then in a "normal"
folder, say some subfolder in Program Files (not Windows or
Windows\System or any other "special" folder), choose the format you
want--I assume it's Detail View, sorting on "Name" ascending.

Now go back into Folder Options, View tab, and click on the button at
top that says "Like Current Folder" or something like that. OK your way
out, then hold down the left Ctrl key and click on the red X at upper
right to close the window. Important to hold down Ctrl key.

Make sure you do the above with all other Explorer windows closed. With
luck, you'll be back to the way you like it and it will stay that way.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
> I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
> settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
> Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
> "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
> situation?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Rita
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 4:20:20 AM

Many thanks to all of you. I now have detail view working with all
folders. I'm not quite sure which of your suggestions work best,
although, since I tried all of them, it appears that several of them are
effective. Now I have a second question. I would like to use another
option for several folders I have on my desktop. Here again Win98 does
not seem to remember that I select the "Large Icons" view for the
particular folder.

I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows. Ever
since, some things do not seem to work the same as they did before.

Thanks, guys, if you can help me on this one.

Rita

Rita Goldberg wrote:
> I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
> settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
> Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
> "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
> situation?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Rita
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 4:20:21 AM

Reread Gary's opening comment as it explains why individual views doesn't
work good.

--

> Many thanks to all of you. I now have detail view working with all
> folders. I'm not quite sure which of your suggestions work best, although,
> since I tried all of them, it appears that several of them are effective.
> Now I have a second question. I would like to use another option for
> several folders I have on my desktop. Here again Win98 does not seem to
> remember that I select the "Large Icons" view for the particular folder.
>
> I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows. Ever
> since, some things do not seem to work the same as they did before.
>
> Thanks, guys, if you can help me on this one.
>
> Rita
>

> Rita Goldberg wrote:
>> I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the view
>> settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
>> Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
>> "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
>> situation?
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> Rita
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:06:35 AM

You are welcome. If you turned off "Remember each folder's view
settings", you need to turn it back on. Otherwise, it won't remember new
ones.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
| Many thanks to all of you. I now have detail view working with all
| folders. I'm not quite sure which of your suggestions work best,
| although, since I tried all of them, it appears that several of them
are
| effective. Now I have a second question. I would like to use another
| option for several folders I have on my desktop. Here again Win98 does
| not seem to remember that I select the "Large Icons" view for the
| particular folder.
|
| I recently had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows. Ever
| since, some things do not seem to work the same as they did before.
|
| Thanks, guys, if you can help me on this one.
|
| Rita
|

| Rita Goldberg wrote:
| > I'm using Win98 SE and find that Explorer no longer remembers the
view
| > settings I enter. Checking "Remember each folder's view settings" in
| > Folder Options doesn't seem to help. I would like the view to be
| > "Details," but it defaults to "Large Icons." How can I rememdy this
| > situation?
| >
| > Thanks for your help!
| >
| > Rita
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:29:31 PM

I did that, but the setting doesn't stick. Everything opens in detail
view, which is much better than before, although I'd prefer other views
for my desktop folders.

Rita

PCR wrote:
> You are welcome. If you turned off "Remember each folder's view
> settings", you need to turn it back on. Otherwise, it won't remember new
> ones.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 12:30:09 AM

Yikes, I seem to have lost individual folder settings in Explorer too
now. But I still have them in My Computer. Can you do it after clicking
My Computer, instead of using an Explorer shortcut?

They seem to stick in My Computer, but Explorer will not honor it. I
need to play with it some more.

--
| I did that, but the setting doesn't stick. Everything opens in detail
| view, which is much better than before, although I'd prefer other
| for my desktop folders.
|
| Rita
|
| PCR wrote:
| > You are welcome. If you turned off "Remember each folder's view
| > settings", you need to turn it back on. Otherwise, it won't remember
new
| > ones.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 5:44:33 PM

This is all a mystery to me. Just as has happened to you, I'm unable to
save individual folder settings. Unless a solution appears soon, I'm
going to give up. Yesterday I spent some time checking the Web as well
as the Microsoft site and found that this issue has been around for
years. Worst of all, there seems to be no solution. The settings worked
fine for me until some point a few days ago when things changed.
Unfortunately, I can't determine if something I did caused the change or
if it just "happened."

Please let us know if you find a solution that works for you.

Rita

PCR wrote:
> Yikes, I seem to have lost individual folder settings in Explorer too
> now. But I still have them in My Computer. Can you do it after clicking
> My Computer, instead of using an Explorer shortcut?
>
> They seem to stick in My Computer, but Explorer will not honor it. I
> need to play with it some more.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 5:44:34 PM

Rita,

There are two hundred registry keys in W98SE that store folder settings.
Once the keys are used up, the system cannot remember more settings so
previous settings are bumped to make way for new ones. It is best just to
pick a given setting and use it for everything.

--

> This is all a mystery to me. Just as has happened to you, I'm unable to
> save individual folder settings. Unless a solution appears soon, I'm going
> to give up. Yesterday I spent some time checking the Web as well as the
> Microsoft site and found that this issue has been around for years. Worst
> of all, there seems to be no solution. The settings worked fine for me
> until some point a few days ago when things changed. Unfortunately, I
> can't determine if something I did caused the change or if it just
> "happened."
>
> Please let us know if you find a solution that works for you.
>
> Rita
>

> PCR wrote:
>> Yikes, I seem to have lost individual folder settings in Explorer too
>> now. But I still have them in My Computer. Can you do it after clicking
>> My Computer, instead of using an Explorer shortcut?
>>
>> They seem to stick in My Computer, but Explorer will not honor it. I
>> need to play with it some more.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:32:58 PM

Thanks, that's what I figured. Too bad. Does this work better in XP?

Rita

Ron Badour wrote:
> Rita,
>
> There are two hundred registry keys in W98SE that store folder settings.
> Once the keys are used up, the system cannot remember more settings so
> previous settings are bumped to make way for new ones. It is best just to
> pick a given setting and use it for everything.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:32:59 PM

I can't say--I use one setting with it also :-)

--

> Thanks, that's what I figured. Too bad. Does this work better in XP?
>
> Rita
>
> Ron Badour wrote:
>> Rita,
>>
>> There are two hundred registry keys in W98SE that store folder settings.
>> Once the keys are used up, the system cannot remember more settings so
>> previous settings are bumped to make way for new ones. It is best just
>> to pick a given setting and use it for everything.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:50:25 PM

I think you & I are having a different issue from what the others are
thinking. In that one, changing a view setting will not stick, BUT it
doesn't change every folder's view. This issue seems to be the reverse.
It sticks, BUT all folders are changed!

It only happens to me in Explorer, started with a shortcut or with
"R-Clk 'My Computer', Explore". Then, when I change to, say, Large Icons
in any folder, all folders will change & stick.

Instead of that, click your "My Computer" icon on the Desktop. Things
will work in there individually for the View options & stick. But
Explorer will not honor it, nor will changing views in Explorer muss "My
Computer".

Is it that way for you?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
| This is all a mystery to me. Just as has happened to you, I'm unable
| save individual folder settings. Unless a solution appears soon, I'm
| going to give up. Yesterday I spent some time checking the Web as well
| as the Microsoft site and found that this issue has been around for
| years. Worst of all, there seems to be no solution. The settings
worked
| fine for me until some point a few days ago when things changed.
| Unfortunately, I can't determine if something I did caused the change
or
| if it just "happened."
|
| Please let us know if you find a solution that works for you.
|
| Rita
|

| PCR wrote:
| > Yikes, I seem to have lost individual folder settings in Explorer
too
| > now. But I still have them in My Computer. Can you do it after
clicking
| > My Computer, instead of using an Explorer shortcut?
| >
| > They seem to stick in My Computer, but Explorer will not honor it. I
| > need to play with it some more.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:54:41 PM

So, you would love this bug-a-boo! Change one folder's view, & they all
change! This is really the reverse of the older problem.

--
"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
news:o %237cRA8iFHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| I can't say--I use one setting with it also :-)
|
| --
| Regards
|

| Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
| Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
| Knowledge Base Info:
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
|

| "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
| > Thanks, that's what I figured. Too bad. Does this work better in XP?
| >
| > Rita
| >
| > Ron Badour wrote:
| >> Rita,
| >>
| >> There are two hundred registry keys in W98SE that store folder
settings.
| >> Once the keys are used up, the system cannot remember more settings
so
| >> previous settings are bumped to make way for new ones. It is best
just
| >> to pick a given setting and use it for everything.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:33:23 PM

I think our problem is not the same. After fooling around quite a bit
using the suggestions sent in response to my first inquiry, I was at
last able to change the folder view for all folders. Now it's detail
view. It's when I try to change the view for individual folders that the
modification doesn't stick, i.e. I change the view but the folder opens
in detail view anyway the next time. This appears to be the same for all
folders, including "My Computer."

I deduce from comments here and elsewhere that I'm stuck with the
situation because of Windows' 200-file limitation. The funny thing is
that I had no problem modifying folder views with my previous
installation of Win98 which had many, many more folders than my current
reinstallation. I've seen some suggestions for modifying the registry,
but I'm afraid to try them... Two weeks ago, something went wrong with
the registry and, as a result, I had to format my hard drive and
reinstall Windows. Don't want to do that again any time soon!

Rita

PCR wrote:
> I think you & I are having a different issue from what the others are
> thinking. In that one, changing a view setting will not stick, BUT it
> doesn't change every folder's view. This issue seems to be the reverse.
> It sticks, BUT all folders are changed!
>
> It only happens to me in Explorer, started with a shortcut or with
> "R-Clk 'My Computer', Explore". Then, when I change to, say, Large Icons
> in any folder, all folders will change & stick.
>
> Instead of that, click your "My Computer" icon on the Desktop. Things
> will work in there individually for the View options & stick. But
> Explorer will not honor it, nor will changing views in Explorer muss "My
> Computer".
>
> Is it that way for you?

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:33:24 PM

>I think our problem is not the same. After fooling around quite a bit
>using the suggestions sent in response to my first inquiry, I was at
>last able to change the folder view for all folders. Now it's detail
>view. It's when I try to change the view for individual folders that
>the modification doesn't stick, i.e. I change the view but the folder
>opens in detail view anyway the next time. This appears to be the same
>for all folders, including "My Computer."

That is the result that was intended by the instructions I gave. If you
*want* to re-enable "Remember Each Folder's View Settings", be my guest.
It might work for a while, might work for a long time. Your Mileage May
Vary.

> I deduce from comments here and elsewhere that I'm stuck with the
> situation because of Windows' 200-file limitation. The funny thing is
> that I had no problem modifying folder views with my previous
> installation of Win98 which had many, many more folders than my
> current reinstallation. I've seen some suggestions for modifying the
> registry, but I'm afraid to try them... Two weeks ago, something went
> wrong with the registry and, as a result, I had to format my hard
> drive and reinstall Windows. Don't want to do that again any time
> soon!
>
> Rita

It's not the number of folders that is at issue. What's limited is the
number of entries permitted in the Registry that detail a folder and its
view settings--and you could have one folder filling all of those
entries. Take one folder and change its View settings (anything about
the way it looks) and you have a new entry. Change it two hundred times
(more or less), and you've filled the list, with each new entry
prompting the deletion of an old one.

The main problem is way this particular part of the Registry it built
and functions. It just seems to have a hard time maintaining that little
database properly, properly aging out the truly old entries, leaving the
newer ones. In my experience, it occasionally works as advertised, but
in the vast majority of cases I've encountered, it doesn't work well.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Same thing I have seen. W95 and W98 were even worse in that W95 only had
28 registry settings while the original W98 had 100.
--

news:o GtGEcIjFHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
>>I think our problem is not the same. After fooling around quite a bit
>>using the suggestions sent in response to my first inquiry, I was at last
>>able to change the folder view for all folders. Now it's detail view. It's
>>when I try to change the view for individual folders that the modification
>>doesn't stick, i.e. I change the view but the folder opens in detail view
>>anyway the next time. This appears to be the same for all folders,
>>including "My Computer."
>
> That is the result that was intended by the instructions I gave. If you
> *want* to re-enable "Remember Each Folder's View Settings", be my guest.
> It might work for a while, might work for a long time. Your Mileage May
> Vary.
>
>> I deduce from comments here and elsewhere that I'm stuck with the
>> situation because of Windows' 200-file limitation. The funny thing is
>> that I had no problem modifying folder views with my previous
>> installation of Win98 which had many, many more folders than my current
>> reinstallation. I've seen some suggestions for modifying the registry,
>> but I'm afraid to try them... Two weeks ago, something went wrong with
>> the registry and, as a result, I had to format my hard drive and
>> reinstall Windows. Don't want to do that again any time soon!
>>
>> Rita
>
> It's not the number of folders that is at issue. What's limited is the
> number of entries permitted in the Registry that detail a folder and its
> view settings--and you could have one folder filling all of those entries.
> Take one folder and change its View settings (anything about the way it
> looks) and you have a new entry. Change it two hundred times (more or
> less), and you've filled the list, with each new entry prompting the
> deletion of an old one.
>
> The main problem is way this particular part of the Registry it built and
> functions. It just seems to have a hard time maintaining that little
> database properly, properly aging out the truly old entries, leaving the
> newer ones. In my experience, it occasionally works as advertised, but in
> the vast majority of cases I've encountered, it doesn't work well.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

July 19, 2005 6:39:59 PM

Yes, you seem to have the old problem. For me, that one now/then
appeared to come/go. Now, for me...

(a) My Computer works well with that.
(b) Explorer does opposite of the old problem.

I've got something new & soon will play with it some more. Good luck
with yours. Well, perhaps go through the rigmarole I posted earlier once
more about a month from now.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
| I think our problem is not the same. After fooling around quite a bit
| using the suggestions sent in response to my first inquiry, I was at
| last able to change the folder view for all folders. Now it's detail
| view. It's when I try to change the view for individual folders that
the
| modification doesn't stick, i.e. I change the view but the folder
opens
| in detail view anyway the next time. This appears to be the same for
all
| folders, including "My Computer."
|
| I deduce from comments here and elsewhere that I'm stuck with the
| situation because of Windows' 200-file limitation. The funny thing is
| that I had no problem modifying folder views with my previous
| installation of Win98 which had many, many more folders than my
current
| reinstallation. I've seen some suggestions for modifying the registry,
| but I'm afraid to try them... Two weeks ago, something went wrong
with
| the registry and, as a result, I had to format my hard drive and
| reinstall Windows. Don't want to do that again any time soon!
|
| Rita
|
| PCR wrote:
| > I think you & I are having a different issue from what the others
are
| > thinking. In that one, changing a view setting will not stick, BUT
it
| > doesn't change every folder's view. This issue seems to be the
reverse.
| > It sticks, BUT all folders are changed!
| >
| > It only happens to me in Explorer, started with a shortcut or with
| > "R-Clk 'My Computer', Explore". Then, when I change to, say, Large
Icons
| > in any folder, all folders will change & stick.
| >
| > Instead of that, click your "My Computer" icon on the Desktop.
Things
| > will work in there individually for the View options & stick. But
| > Explorer will not honor it, nor will changing views in Explorer muss
"My
| > Computer".
| >
| > Is it that way for you?

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:38:22 PM

Thanks. I'll try again in a month or so. I still think it's a registry
problem of some sort. but the problem is not so huge as to merit
possible additional major trouble.

Rita

PCR wrote:
> Yes, you seem to have the old problem. For me, that one now/then
> appeared to come/go. Now, for me...
>
> (a) My Computer works well with that.
> (b) Explorer does opposite of the old problem.
>
> I've got something new & soon will play with it some more. Good luck
> with yours. Well, perhaps go through the rigmarole I posted earlier once
> more about a month from now.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:38:23 PM

You are welcome. I've come to agree with you, after extracting a new
Explorer.exe & the IE Repair Tool have both failed to cure me. Good
luck, then, & may you continue to choose your battles wisely!

--
news:o EcDe.52338$0i3.2903@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
| Thanks. I'll try again in a month or so. I still think it's a registry
| problem of some sort. but the problem is not so huge as to merit
| possible additional major trouble.
|
| Rita
|
| PCR wrote:
| > Yes, you seem to have the old problem. For me, that one now/then
| > appeared to come/go. Now, for me...
| >
| > (a) My Computer works well with that.
| > (b) Explorer does opposite of the old problem.
| >
| > I've got something new & soon will play with it some more. Good luck
| > with yours. Well, perhaps go through the rigmarole I posted earlier
once
| > more about a month from now.

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:56:11 AM

As Gary stated, re-enable "Remember Each Folder's View Settings", and then set your
commonly-used folders as you want them, one at a time, with only one open at a
time....Detail view, sorted by extension, or what have you. When you have a folder
window or Explorer window set to the view you want, press F5, then close the window
by holding down the CTRL key while you click the X in the upper right corner to
exit.

When you have those particular windows set this way, they should each open the next
time the way you had closed them. As you open various other windows they will use
some of those 200 remembered settings in the Registry....eventually, one of your set
folders will lose its setting, and you will have to start resetting them again. if
you can live with that, you should have your folder views as you want them for a
fair amount of time. I have used this method for a long time.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
> I think our problem is not the same. After fooling around quite a bit
> using the suggestions sent in response to my first inquiry, I was at
> last able to change the folder view for all folders. Now it's detail
> view. It's when I try to change the view for individual folders that the
> modification doesn't stick, i.e. I change the view but the folder opens
> in detail view anyway the next time. This appears to be the same for all
> folders, including "My Computer."
>
> I deduce from comments here and elsewhere that I'm stuck with the
> situation because of Windows' 200-file limitation. The funny thing is
> that I had no problem modifying folder views with my previous
> installation of Win98 which had many, many more folders than my current
> reinstallation. I've seen some suggestions for modifying the registry,
> but I'm afraid to try them... Two weeks ago, something went wrong with
> the registry and, as a result, I had to format my hard drive and
> reinstall Windows. Don't want to do that again any time soon!
>
> Rita
>
> PCR wrote:
> > I think you & I are having a different issue from what the others are
> > thinking. In that one, changing a view setting will not stick, BUT it
> > doesn't change every folder's view. This issue seems to be the reverse.
> > It sticks, BUT all folders are changed!
> >
> > It only happens to me in Explorer, started with a shortcut or with
> > "R-Clk 'My Computer', Explore". Then, when I change to, say, Large Icons
> > in any folder, all folders will change & stick.
> >
> > Instead of that, click your "My Computer" icon on the Desktop. Things
> > will work in there individually for the View options & stick. But
> > Explorer will not honor it, nor will changing views in Explorer muss "My
> > Computer".
> >
> > Is it that way for you?

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:39:04 AM

I do thank you for your suggestions, but unfortunately they don't work.
Nothing happens when I try to set the display for particular folders
using your method, that is, the folder opens exactly the way it was,
with the original settings. And, yes, I did check "Remember Each
Folder's View Settings." I'm almost resigned to having the same view
for all folders...

Rita

glee wrote:
> As Gary stated, re-enable "Remember Each Folder's View Settings", and then set your
> commonly-used folders as you want them, one at a time, with only one open at a
> time....Detail view, sorted by extension, or what have you. When you have a folder
> window or Explorer window set to the view you want, press F5, then close the window
> by holding down the CTRL key while you click the X in the upper right corner to
> exit.
>
> When you have those particular windows set this way, they should each open the next
> time the way you had closed them. As you open various other windows they will use
> some of those 200 remembered settings in the Registry....eventually, one of your set
> folders will lose its setting, and you will have to start resetting them again. if
> you can live with that, you should have your folder views as you want them for a
> fair amount of time. I have used this method for a long time.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:39:05 AM

Dunno what to tell ya.....they work here and have worked for quite a lot of other
users who have followed them. Do you have only the one folder window or Explorer
window open when you do it? All other Explorer and folder windows should be
closed....do only one folder at a time. You must press and hold the CTRL key while
you are closing the window with the X in the upper right.
--

> I do thank you for your suggestions, but unfortunately they don't work.
> Nothing happens when I try to set the display for particular folders
> using your method, that is, the folder opens exactly the way it was,
> with the original settings. And, yes, I did check "Remember Each
> Folder's View Settings." I'm almost resigned to having the same view
> for all folders...
>
> Rita
>
> glee wrote:
> > As Gary stated, re-enable "Remember Each Folder's View Settings", and then set
your
> > commonly-used folders as you want them, one at a time, with only one open at a
> > time....Detail view, sorted by extension, or what have you. When you have a
folder
> > window or Explorer window set to the view you want, press F5, then close the
window
> > by holding down the CTRL key while you click the X in the upper right corner to
> > exit.
> >
> > When you have those particular windows set this way, they should each open the
next
> > time the way you had closed them. As you open various other windows they will
use
> > some of those 200 remembered settings in the Registry....eventually, one of your
set
> > folders will lose its setting, and you will have to start resetting them again.
if
> > you can live with that, you should have your folder views as you want them for a
> > fair amount of time. I have used this method for a long time.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:20:56 AM

Thanks again for being so helpful. Trouble is I've been doing all you
say, but it just doesn't work for me. Windows doesn't remember the new
settings for individual folders. C'est la vie...

Rita

glee wrote:
> Dunno what to tell ya.....they work here and have worked for quite a lot of other
> users who have followed them. Do you have only the one folder window or Explorer
> window open when you do it? All other Explorer and folder windows should be
> closed....do only one folder at a time. You must press and hold the CTRL key while
> you are closing the window with the X in the upper right.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:20:57 AM

Bummer. Well, at least you can feel "unique". ;-)
--

> Thanks again for being so helpful. Trouble is I've been doing all you
> say, but it just doesn't work for me. Windows doesn't remember the new
> settings for individual folders. C'est la vie...
>
> Rita
>

> glee wrote:
> > Dunno what to tell ya.....they work here and have worked for quite a lot of
other
> > users who have followed them. Do you have only the one folder window or
Explorer
> > window open when you do it? All other Explorer and folder windows should be
> > closed....do only one folder at a time. You must press and hold the CTRL key
while
> > you are closing the window with the X in the upper right.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:20:58 AM

I dunno... Could be unique, but I seem to recall a few at least similar
situations popping up several years ago... IIRC, those mostly turned out
to be due to unexpected consequences from using TUI.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Bummer. Well, at least you can feel "unique". ;-)
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
>> Thanks again for being so helpful. Trouble is I've been doing all you
>> say, but it just doesn't work for me. Windows doesn't remember the
>> new
>> settings for individual folders. C'est la vie...
>>
>> Rita
>>

>> glee wrote:
>> > Dunno what to tell ya.....they work here and have worked for quite
>> > a lot of
> other
>> > users who have followed them. Do you have only the one folder
>> > window or
> Explorer
>> > window open when you do it? All other Explorer and folder windows
>> > should be
>> > closed....do only one folder at a time. You must press and hold
>> > the CTRL key
> while
>> > you are closing the window with the X in the upper right.

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:04:06 AM

Voila!! I bit the bullet and decided to check into a possible registry
fix. That's when I found some great information at annoyances.org. Just
click on this link and scroll down to the last entry, the one by Howard
Lang.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1017671336
I followed the instructions and now everything works as it should, i.e.
each folder remembers its setting. Actually, I simplified the
instructions and just deleted the NoSaveSettings key after exporting it
as explained in the instructions. If something goes wrong, I'll do the
rest of the fix described in the message.

Rita

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> I dunno... Could be unique, but I seem to recall a few at least similar
> situations popping up several years ago... IIRC, those mostly turned out
> to be due to unexpected consequences from using TUI.

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:04:07 AM

One to remember. Thanks for posting back!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Voila!! I bit the bullet and decided to check into a possible registry
> fix. That's when I found some great information at annoyances.org.
> Just click on this link and scroll down to the last entry, the one by
> Howard Lang.
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1017671336
> I followed the instructions and now everything works as it should,
> i.e. each folder remembers its setting. Actually, I simplified the
> instructions and just deleted the NoSaveSettings key after exporting
> it as explained in the instructions. If something goes wrong, I'll do
> the rest of the fix described in the message.
>
> Rita
>

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>> I dunno... Could be unique, but I seem to recall a few at least
>> similar situations popping up several years ago... IIRC, those mostly
>> turned out to be due to unexpected consequences from using TUI.

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:04:07 AM

Yes, we are familiar with the NoSaveSettings value (it is often added or modified by
TweakUI and other utilities), but the particular series of procedures described in
that post you found is a new variation that I have not seen.
Nice find, Rita!
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
> Voila!! I bit the bullet and decided to check into a possible registry
> fix. That's when I found some great information at annoyances.org. Just
> click on this link and scroll down to the last entry, the one by Howard
> Lang.
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1017671336
> I followed the instructions and now everything works as it should, i.e.
> each folder remembers its setting. Actually, I simplified the
> instructions and just deleted the NoSaveSettings key after exporting it
> as explained in the instructions. If something goes wrong, I'll do the
> rest of the fix described in the message.
>
> Rita
>

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > I dunno... Could be unique, but I seem to recall a few at least similar
> > situations popping up several years ago... IIRC, those mostly turned out
> > to be due to unexpected consequences from using TUI.

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 5:44:34 AM

Well, glad you are fixed. Here is an article about "NoSaveSettings"...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q130234
Save Settings On Exit Option Enabled by Default
....Quote.............
....snip...
Setting the NoSaveSettings field to 1 prevents your settings from being
saved. When you set this value, the following items are not saved when
you exit Windows:

Changed icon positions on the desktop.
Windows that are open when you exit.
The size and position of the taskbar.
....End quote.......

Odd: It doesn't quite say it would prevent individual folder settings,
as I am unaware a reboot is needed for that. Did your "NoSaveSettings"
come back in the Registry with a value of zero after you deleted it? Was
it a "1" to begin with? (I don't have it in my Registry.)

Also odd: I think the procedure Lang describes wouldn't do what he
says. He doesn't say he actually deleted the two unwanted entries in the
Registry, but only in the Export. Merging it back wouldn't delete them,
unless a special line was also added to the top of that Export.

......Quote......
1. I read the information at
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry/
2. I went back to my "bad" computer, and exported
the registry key, [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer].
3. I saved the exported registry key as nosavold.reg.
4. I edited nosavold.reg (removed the two strings),
and saved that as nosavnew.reg.
5. I merged nosavnew.reg into my registry.
......EOQ........

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
| Voila!! I bit the bullet and decided to check into a possible registry
| fix. That's when I found some great information at annoyances.org.
Just
| click on this link and scroll down to the last entry, the one by
Howard
| Lang.
| http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1017671336
| I followed the instructions and now everything works as it should,
i.e.
| each folder remembers its setting. Actually, I simplified the
| instructions and just deleted the NoSaveSettings key after exporting
it
| as explained in the instructions. If something goes wrong, I'll do the
| rest of the fix described in the message.
|
| Rita
|

| Gary S. Terhune wrote:
| > I dunno... Could be unique, but I seem to recall a few at least
similar
| > situations popping up several years ago... IIRC, those mostly turned
out
| > to be due to unexpected consequences from using TUI.

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:11:49 PM

Yes, I thought also that Lang's procedure was a little odd. That's why I
exported the key but, in fact, deleted it from the Registry. It has not
been generated by Windows, so, in my case at least, it appears that it
isn't necessary. I'm not much of a Registry maven, but the fix works so
why worry. I also notice that Explorer seems to open a little faster
now, which makes me think that before I deleted the key Windows was
trying to do something it couldn't accomplish. It's been interesting,
and I'm grateful for everyone's help and ideas.

Rita

PCR wrote:
> Well, glad you are fixed. Here is an article about "NoSaveSettings"...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q130234
> Save Settings On Exit Option Enabled by Default
> ...Quote.............
> ...snip...
> Setting the NoSaveSettings field to 1 prevents your settings from being
> saved. When you set this value, the following items are not saved when
> you exit Windows:
>
> Changed icon positions on the desktop.
> Windows that are open when you exit.
> The size and position of the taskbar.
> ...End quote.......
>
> Odd: It doesn't quite say it would prevent individual folder settings,
> as I am unaware a reboot is needed for that. Did your "NoSaveSettings"
> come back in the Registry with a value of zero after you deleted it? Was
> it a "1" to begin with? (I don't have it in my Registry.)
>
> Also odd: I think the procedure Lang describes wouldn't do what he
> says. He doesn't say he actually deleted the two unwanted entries in the
> Registry, but only in the Export. Merging it back wouldn't delete them,
> unless a special line was also added to the top of that Export.
>
> .....Quote......
> 1. I read the information at
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry/
> 2. I went back to my "bad" computer, and exported
> the registry key, [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> \CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer].
> 3. I saved the exported registry key as nosavold.reg.
> 4. I edited nosavold.reg (removed the two strings),
> and saved that as nosavnew.reg.
> 5. I merged nosavnew.reg into my registry.
> .....EOQ........

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 11:26:00 PM

You are welcome. Yea, you did well. Odd Lang says his "NoSaveSettings"
came back, albeit with zeros. Wait a minute! The procedure he described
never deleted it. It must have already been zeros, or he did something
other than what he wrote.

Very mysterious that deleting that value is a cure for this at all, but
I'll keep it in mind for the next poor soul or two who complain of it.
OK, bye.

--
news:p ZPEe.65785$0i3.41493@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

!