scandisk in dos

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 16, 2005 4:56:49 PM

Would a machine running win 98 be subject to attack from internet hooked to
a router running scandisk in dos mode? To check surface area it is about two
hours. Or would virus and worms have an affect on dos?Thanks.

Sammy Castagna

More about : scandisk dos

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 4:56:50 PM

If I understand your question correctly, no, there would be no danger
unless you have set up DOS networking components--which I doubt you have
done.

All network traffic requires a sender and a receiver. Your DOS mode
isn't set up with any reception, ergo nothing can get in.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Sammy Castagna" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Would a machine running win 98 be subject to attack from internet
> hooked to a router running scandisk in dos mode? To check surface area
> it is about two hours. Or would virus and worms have an affect on
> dos?Thanks.
>
> Sammy Castagna

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:02:59 PM

It can take that long & longer to do a surface scan in DOS mode. I
haven't done one recently that way to count it. And I don't know what a
router can do.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Sammy Castagna" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Would a machine running win 98 be subject to attack from internet
hooked to
| a router running scandisk in dos mode? To check surface area it is
about two
| hours. Or would virus and worms have an affect on dos?Thanks.
|
| Sammy Castagna

July 16, 2005 6:15:45 PM

> Would a machine running win 98 be subject to attack from internet hooked
> a router running scandisk in dos mode? To check surface area it is about
two
> hours. Or would virus and worms have an affect on dos?Thanks.

I don't think that Scandisk does virus scanning - mine doesn't. Sorry if I
don't understand what you mean.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:16:52 PM

PCR,
The router would give some firewall protection that is all. Just a curiosity
question.

Sammy Castagna

> It can take that long & longer to do a surface scan in DOS mode. I
> haven't done one recently that way to count it. And I don't know what a
> router can do.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Sammy Castagna" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Would a machine running win 98 be subject to attack from internet
> hooked to
> | a router running scandisk in dos mode? To check surface area it is
> about two
> | hours. Or would virus and worms have an affect on dos?Thanks.
> |
> | Sammy Castagna

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:21:34 PM

jkb
I am trying to ask if during that time when the machine is still connected
to the internet. But the anti virus and Sygate firewall has not loaded
because the machine is in dos. Would it be exposed to worms and virus
infections.

Sammy Castagna

"jkb" <nospam@none> wrote in message
>> Would a machine running win 98 be subject to attack from internet hooked
>> a router running scandisk in dos mode? To check surface area it is about
> two
>> hours. Or would virus and worms have an affect on dos?Thanks.
>
> I don't think that Scandisk does virus scanning - mine doesn't. Sorry if I
> don't understand what you mean.

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:21:35 PM

I doubt it as a worm and virus are built to work in Windows primarily.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

> jkb
> I am trying to ask if during that time when the machine is still connected
> to the internet. But the anti virus and Sygate firewall has not loaded
> because the machine is in dos. Would it be exposed to worms and virus
> infections.
>
> Sammy Castagna
>
> "jkb" <nospam@none> wrote in message
>>> Would a machine running win 98 be subject to attack from internet hooked
>>> a router running scandisk in dos mode? To check surface area it is about
>> two
>>> hours. Or would virus and worms have an affect on dos?Thanks.
>>
>> I don't think that Scandisk does virus scanning - mine doesn't. Sorry if
>> don't understand what you mean.

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:58:47 PM

> I am trying to ask if during that time when the machine is still connected
> to the internet. But the anti virus and Sygate firewall has not loaded
> because the machine is in dos. Would it be exposed to worms and virus
> infections.

So, do you mean that when DOS scandisk is scanning - is the computer exposed
to danger?
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:15:57 PM

Yes.

Sammy

>> I am trying to ask if during that time when the machine is still
>> connected
>> to the internet. But the anti virus and Sygate firewall has not loaded
>> because the machine is in dos. Would it be exposed to worms and virus
>> infections.
>
> So, do you mean that when DOS scandisk is scanning - is the computer
> exposed
> to danger?

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:18:19 PM

Gary,
Thanks no DOS networking components DOS prompt only.

Sammy

> If I understand your question correctly, no, there would be no danger
> unless you have set up DOS networking components--which I doubt you have
> done.
>
> All network traffic requires a sender and a receiver. Your DOS mode isn't
> set up with any reception, ergo nothing can get in.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Sammy Castagna" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Would a machine running win 98 be subject to attack from internet hooked
>> to a router running scandisk in dos mode? To check surface area it is
>> about two hours. Or would virus and worms have an affect on dos?Thanks.
>>
>> Sammy Castagna

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:18:59 PM

> Yes.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Hope you don't mind. I've never heard of a
computer being connected to the internet at such a early point. I've never
had that(and I'm on a router as well). Besides - as someone else pointed
out, no drivers loaded.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:46:52 PM

Thanks. I am sure a lot of my questions won't make sense.

"jkb" <nospam@none> wrote in message
news:o GL$XsjiFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Yes.
>
> Sorry about the misunderstanding. Hope you don't mind. I've never heard of
> computer being connected to the internet at such a early point. I've never
> had that(and I'm on a router as well). Besides - as someone else pointed
> out, no drivers loaded.

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:54:05 PM

Are you actually connected to NET in DOS Mode? I'm sure you can't be
browsing. I suppose the router might be a help, though, if other
machines can still connect to yours. (I just don't know anything about
it.)

--
news:o 9yZzJjiFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| PCR,
| The router would give some firewall protection that is all. Just a
curiosity
| question.
|
| Sammy Castagna

| > It can take that long & longer to do a surface scan in DOS mode. I
| > haven't done one recently that way to count it. And I don't know
what a
| > router can do.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Sammy Castagna" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Would a machine running win 98 be subject to attack from internet
| > hooked to
| > | a router running scandisk in dos mode? To check surface area it is
| > about two
| > | hours. Or would virus and worms have an affect on dos?Thanks.
| > |
| > | Sammy Castagna
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:29:31 PM

I don't think so. I have not set up DOS networking components. I do not
know how anyway.

Sammy

> Are you actually connected to NET in DOS Mode? I'm sure you can't be
> browsing. I suppose the router might be a help, though, if other
> machines can still connect to yours. (I just don't know anything about
> it.)
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Sammy Castagna" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:o 9yZzJjiFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> | PCR,
> | The router would give some firewall protection that is all. Just a
> curiosity
> | question.
> |
> | Sammy Castagna
> |
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > It can take that long & longer to do a surface scan in DOS mode. I
> | > haven't done one recently that way to count it. And I don't know
> what a
> | > router can do.
> | >

> | > --
> | > Thanks or Good Luck,
> | > There may be humor in this post, and,
> | > Naturally, you will not sue,
> | > should things get worse after this,
> | > PCR
> | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | > "Sammy Castagna" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > hooked to
> | > about two
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:46:52 PM

Then, as others have said, it will be impossible to get an infection.
The router is unnecessary in that circumstance. Naturally, keep it for
when you do connect to the NET or get a firewall...

http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_download.html
Suggested to me by Dundat, this little app is the cat's meow of
Firewalls. Well, it's the only I've ever tried, but it seems to have it
all & hasn't crashed yet. Free for personal use.

www.geocities.com/yosponge
As BoB has said, this site will show you every last little thing you can
do with it. Don't get confused with all the possibilities, though.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_do...
What a packet looks like, thanks Blanton.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/about/ac123/ac114/about_cisc...
Packet Magazine, again Blanton's discovery.

Ah! It has just denied another attempt of someone/something trying to
speak to my kernel pip! (or something like that).

--
| I don't think so. I have not set up DOS networking components. I do
not
| know how anyway.
|
| Sammy

| > Are you actually connected to NET in DOS Mode? I'm sure you can't be
| > browsing. I suppose the router might be a help, though, if other
| > machines can still connect to yours. (I just don't know anything
about
| > it.)
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Sammy Castagna" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > news:o 9yZzJjiFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| > | PCR,
| > | The router would give some firewall protection that is all. Just a
| > curiosity
| > | question.
| > |
| > | Sammy Castagna
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > what a

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:10:05 PM

> Thanks. I am sure a lot of my questions won't make sense.

More of my fault I think.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:46:46 PM

Sammy Castagna wrote:
> jkb
> I am trying to ask if during that time when the machine is still connected
> to the internet. But the anti virus and Sygate firewall has not loaded
> because the machine is in dos. Would it be exposed to worms and virus
> infections.
>
> Sammy Castagna
>
> "jkb" <nospam@none> wrote in message
>
>>>Would a machine running win 98 be subject to attack from internet hooked

>>>a router running scandisk in dos mode? To check surface area it is about
>>
>>two
>>
>>>hours. Or would virus and worms have an affect on dos?Thanks.
>>
>>I don't think that Scandisk does virus scanning - mine doesn't. Sorry if I
>>don't understand what you mean.

Why would you leave your machine connected to the
net during a disk scan? You don't want anything to
happen that might alter, create or delete a file.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:41:36 PM

Anthony,
I just thought if nothing was loaded to let anything in or out why pull the
plug.

Sammy

"Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
news:o YPWoCxiFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Sammy Castagna wrote:
>> jkb
>> I am trying to ask if during that time when the machine is still
>> connected to the internet. But the anti virus and Sygate firewall has not
>> loaded because the machine is in dos. Would it be exposed to worms and
>> virus infections.
>>
>> Sammy Castagna
>>
>> "jkb" <nospam@none> wrote in message

>>>two

>>>I don't think that Scandisk does virus scanning - mine doesn't. Sorry if
>>>don't understand what you mean.
>>>

> Why would you leave your machine connected to the
> net during a disk scan? You don't want anything to
> happen that might alter, create or delete a file.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:36:03 PM

> I just thought if nothing was loaded to let anything in or out why pull
the
> plug.

I never pull my plug because of a DOS-Scandisk. There isn't any drivers
loaded. It doesn't know about anything except scanning.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 5:47:16 PM

Good deal. I thank everyone for their response.

!