Defrag restarts

drew

Hello -

When I run defrag, it never gets finished. It keeps starting over, and only
can get to a max of about 75% before starting again. What is wrong?

Drew

See the "Clean Boot" article in my signature.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Drew" <drew@home.net> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> When I run defrag, it never gets finished. It keeps starting over,
> and only can get to a max of about 75% before starting again. What is
> wrong?
>
> Drew

Since it is getting so far, it is likely it is running into a corrupt file.
Try the procedures here: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/defrag.html

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Drew" <drew@home.net> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> When I run defrag, it never gets finished. It keeps starting over, and
> only can get to a max of about 75% before starting again. What is wrong?
>
> Drew

> When I run defrag, it never gets finished. It keeps starting over, and
only
> can get to a max of about 75% before starting again. What is wrong?

I had that once - except my one only got to 15%. Here is what I was told to
do(by the disks.general group - Thanx to the group). Restart into Safe Mode
and do the defrag.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:12:34 -0500, "Drew" <drew@home.net> wrote:

>Hello -
>
>When I run defrag, it never gets finished. It keeps starting over, and only
>can get to a max of about 75% before starting again. What is wrong?
>
>Drew

Turn off any screensavers, anything that accesses the disk will
cause Defrag to start over. Close any programs that load at boot and
run in the background.

Run Scandisk from Dos then from Windows. An alternative is to run it
from Safe Mode and turn off the screensaver there too.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Get Defrag from winM.E.
Rename the old one in your c:\windows folder (if you want to keep it)
then put paste the new one in there.
Run defrag as normal, you should see a huge difference.

...Rex..
> Hello -
>
> When I run defrag, it never gets finished. It keeps starting over, and
only
> can get to a max of about 75% before starting again. What is wrong?
>
> Drew

TRENDING THREADS