My first attempt at watercooling..

Confused_Chimp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Ok I've never tried to do anything with watercooling so far, but wanted to try it with my new computer. Just for info my system is: AMD X2 4400, Asus A8N32 SLI, 2gb OCZ Platinum 3200, Antec P180 case, XFX Geforce 7800 GT, creative X-fi, with seasonic 600W
Currently using a Thermaltake Sonic Tower on CPU and think its great.

I am thinking of going across to watercooling mostly for noise perspective, but also able to handle overclocking.
I've done a bit of reading and some of the stickies on this and other web sites.
I think I might be being a bit ambitious for my first attempt because of what I am trying to achieve.
Basically I would like to be using pump(s) running from my PSU. I am thinking of (if it is possible to do) having a dual radiator setup. What I mean by that is that I would like to use a freestanding external passive rad, but also have 2 internal rads and have some sort of gates that I would switch the flow of the water to change bwtween the rads. That way when I am home I would use the passive external rad and when I went to a lan Party I could switch it to the fan cooled internal rads. Not sure if this is possible. Especially as I would have to have some joints in tubing that would be able to close and seal without leaking. Similar perhaps to the hose joints you see on garden hoses. Is this possible?

I am thinking of running to pumps in parallel. So that there isn't a catestrophoic failure if I get a pump failure. I have seen people mention using pumps in series to increase head pressure. But I am thinking of running in parellel, a little like a raid 1 hard disk setup - but for water.
Comments?

I am thinking of upgrading my processor and GPUs at some point as well, moving to a SLI system and water cooling both GPUs.

I was thinking of water cooling my chipset. but from some of the guides I've read it seems to suggest not doing this as it is not worth it and has no real benefit. From my point of view thats fine as there is no noise as the stock cooler for the chipset on my MB is passive anyway.

Any help most appreceiated and if you've got this far thx for reading such a long post.
Cheers
CC

RichPLS

Champion
I have this system, got it for $160 at NewEgg.
It is exactly what you describe and is great quality stuff.
A double radiator and a seperate single one with a pump, reservoir and water block, even has hoses, fluid and thermal paste, plus adapter for nearly any CPU.
Actually, I am only using the double radiator, and the other one I did not use.

gudodayn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I'll second that TT Big Water 745!!!
Thats a nice kit, easy to install and great performance. TT has got a whole lot of different accessories for you to add to it as well (additional reservoir, radiator, etc).
There was a time when these ready to go water cooling kits were knocked because they perform only on par with the best heatsink + fan combos but it is no longer the case now!
Some of these kits' performances are right up there with most custom H2O cooling you'll find at the same price.
For your OC info, my friend has the original big water and last weekend, we went shopping for a peltier and his CPU temperature has dropped another 5~10 degrees and should help him squeeze a few more MHz out of that CPU!

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I've got the Big Water 745 and I'm happy... it shipped with a defective o-ring that caused me a pretty dangerous leak, but that's my fault for not doing a test run... no components were lost. Noise is VERY acceptable.

To the poster who passed on using the internal radiator... why'd you do that? No space? Wanted better case air flow? I use both radiators and I believe it affects my case airflow as my temps went UP on my mobo and video card (slightly) My CPU temp is clearly lower... much lower... but I was curious what caused the other temps to go up.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I first welcome you to the water-cooling crazy overclocking community. It's good decision for you to go water-cooling and most importantly its' just plain wicked. While there are many different types of liquid cooling you must first know the basis, as for start a good liquid cooling must comprise of good pump that produces ample amount of flow and some consider it as the heart of water cooling. Second would be a nice radiator and yes size matter at this one as a good radiator should dissipates heat away through water-air thermal transfer. Although it's costly than it's counterpart like HSF or just HS, it has some benifits that can outweigh the cost as to producing low noise and cooler/lower temps but it also depends on the quality of the liquid cooling kits/components. Like the Thermaltake Big Water kit is a good one and although it's not extreme still many times better than conventional cooling. I myself built a costum water cooling buy purchasing different high quality parts like that of swiftech to form a good water cooling unit for my cpu, northbridge, and two gpus. Overall it cost me about $300 but it's worth it. Anyways good luck with your project and have fun.

By the way I found this site, but beware for it is only suited to the few extreme water cooling freaks.

Caution: Enter this site at your own risk and make sure you're of age.

http://www.afrotechmods.com/stupid/water/water.htm

Disclaimer: I'm don't claim responsibility to anyone who destroyed their hardware due to emitating this mod without proper experience, that or I just don't give a sh!t.