Program automatically launches on boot

For some reason, unbeknownst to me, Windows 98se now automatically launches
the chat program every time I boot my computer. I don't want that. How in
the dickens can I get that automatic launch removed? I don't even have the
chat program - somebody deleted it a long time ago!

There is no shortcut icon on my desktop, etc. It just launches immediately
upon boot.

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about program automatically launches boot

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:05:01 -0700, "Maryann"
    <Maryann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >For some reason, unbeknownst to me, Windows 98se now automatically launches
    >the chat program every time I boot my computer. I don't want that. How in
    >the dickens can I get that automatic launch removed? I don't even have the
    >chat program - somebody deleted it a long time ago!
    >
    >There is no shortcut icon on my desktop, etc. It just launches immediately
    >upon boot.
    >
    >Thanks

    Maryann,

    See if the shortcut starts in the
    C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder and if so delete it.

    If you are comfortable in the Registry look in these keys for it. If
    so right click it and delete:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Backup the Registry first. Boot to Command prompt Only and enter
    Scanreg /backup. If needed you can restore it with Scanreg /restore.

    If still no help, from Start > Run enter Sysedit. Look at the load=
    and run= lines in the Win.ini file. Remove the entry but leave the
    run= or load= lines there.

    Otherwise try Start > Run and enter Msconfig and look under the
    Startup tab. If it's there un-check it.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/