Help with Task Scheduler utility

I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why the
Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.

I have the following questions:

I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler

If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
Windows critical update notification still function?

Any input would be apprecaited,

Frank
12 answers Last reply
More about help task scheduler utility

    Yes, that's why.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
    > Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
    > critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why the
    > Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.
    >

    > I have the following questions:
    >
    > I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
    > fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler
    >
    > If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
    > Windows critical update notification still function?
    >
    > Any input would be apprecaited,
    >
    > Frank

    When the task scheduler icon returns after the task scheduler is turned off,
    that is because of the critical update notification. I have not used W98
    for quite a while--are there any critical updates being made? There might
    not be any reason to have critical updates enabled.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
    > Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
    > critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why the
    > Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.
    >

    > I have the following questions:
    >
    > I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
    > fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler
    >
    > If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
    > Windows critical update notification still function?
    >
    > Any input would be apprecaited,
    >
    > Frank

    There was a Win98 Critical Update just last Tuesday. Whether there is a
    Win98 version posted yet or not, I can't say, but one is promised.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > When the task scheduler icon returns after the task scheduler is
    > turned off, that is because of the critical update notification. I
    > have not used W98 for quite a while--are there any critical updates
    > being made? There might not be any reason to have critical updates
    > enabled.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >

    > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >

    > "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
    >> Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
    >> critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why
    >> the
    >> Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.
    >>

    >> I have the following questions:
    >>
    >> I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
    >> fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler
    >>
    >> If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
    >> Windows critical update notification still function?
    >>
    >> Any input would be apprecaited,
    >>
    >> Frank

    It seems to be there all right...

    Security Update for JView Profiler (KB903235)
    Download size: 105 KB, < 1 minute
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
    compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
    control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
    update, which sets a registry key that blocks attempts to take advantage
    of this issue. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
    computer. Read more...
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-037.mspx
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-037
    Vulnerability in JView Profiler Could Allow Remote Code Execution
    (903235)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | There was a Win98 Critical Update just last Tuesday. Whether there is
    | Win98 version posted yet or not, I can't say, but one is promised.
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    |
    | "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    | > When the task scheduler icon returns after the task scheduler is
    | > turned off, that is because of the critical update notification. I
    | > have not used W98 for quite a while--are there any critical updates
    | > being made? There might not be any reason to have critical updates
    | > enabled.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Regards
    | >

    | > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    | > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    | > Knowledge Base Info:
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    | >

    | > "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    | >>I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon
    for
    | >> Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have
    WIndows
    | >> critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why
    | >> the
    | >> Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.
    | >>

    | >> I have the following questions:
    | >>
    | >> I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite
    the
    | >> fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler
    | >>
    | >> If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
    | >> Windows critical update notification still function?
    | >>
    | >> Any input would be apprecaited,
    | >>
    | >> Frank

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
    > Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
    > critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why the
    > Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.

    Yes, it is.

    > I have the following questions:
    >
    > I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
    > fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler

    Is that a question?

    > If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
    > Windows critical update notification still function?

    I don't believe you *can* successfully remove it if Critical Update Notification is
    installed. Why not just uninstall the Update Notification via Add\Remove Programs,
    and manually check for updates once a month....they are released the first Tuesday
    of the month, IIRC.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Thanks to the reponders for their assistance and clarity.

    Frank

    > Thanks to the reponders for their assistance and clarity.
    >
    > Frank

    Get rid of IE, get Mozilla or Opera or whatever; problems will
    disappear the less you use micro products.

    ...Rex..

    Other than the fact that what you say is pure BS, what in blazes does IE
    have to do with Task Scheduler and Critical Updates Notification?

    Hey, if "problems will disappear the less you use micro products", why
    don't you just get something from Apple (so your world will be limited
    to simple tasks you *might* be able to handle), or dive into the *nix
    world, and spend the rest of your years just getting the OS to function
    at all, and eschew MS altogether? Put your money where your mouth is and
    leave those of us who *know* that Windows is a superior product for the
    purpose (when all factors are considered) get on with our business.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Get rid of IE, get Mozilla or Opera or whatever; problems will
    > disappear the less you use micro products.
    >
    > ..Rex..

    We all have to deal with what we have and what we have access to,
    and its global that IE attracts *bugs*.
    Since my first use of a different browser I noticed a huge drop in
    *problems*, if this werent true you wouldnt find people daily switching over
    to non micro
    products for browsing & etc.
    Yeah, sure, I'll leave *things* to those who know, but the world I know is
    one where the more you know the less you know.

    ...Rex..

    > Other than the fact that what you say is pure BS, what in blazes does IE
    > have to do with Task Scheduler and Critical Updates Notification?
    >
    > Hey, if "problems will disappear the less you use micro products", why
    > don't you just get something from Apple (so your world will be limited
    > to simple tasks you *might* be able to handle), or dive into the *nix
    > world, and spend the rest of your years just getting the OS to function
    > at all, and eschew MS altogether? Put your money where your mouth is and
    > leave those of us who *know* that Windows is a superior product for the
    > purpose (when all factors are considered) get on with our business.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Get rid of IE, get Mozilla or Opera or whatever; problems will
    > > disappear the less you use micro products.
    > >
    > > ..Rex..

    If you're hunting polar bears, you go to the Arctic. If you're hunting
    penguins, you go to the Antarctic. Closer to home, the classic reason for
    robbing banks is that "that's where the money is." The reason Windows
    attracts more security attacks isn't because it's any more vulnerable than
    competitors, it's because it is the underlying OS for *most* of the casual
    data storage in the world. Were MAC or some Linux system to gain a truly
    significant place in the OS distribution, you would see a correspondingly
    major proportion of attacks directed at those platforms. I won't even try to
    educate you on the vast difference between Windows and other platforms,
    where Windows is designed to run (and usually succeeds) on an incredible
    variety of hardware, usually without much hassle at all, certainly much less
    than the hassle required to maintain a Linux platform (running MAC OS
    platforms on other hardware isn't even an option.)

    I'm not sure I understand your "attracts bugs" statement. You're stating
    that IE has more functional bugs than competitors? I'd like to see the stats
    on that. One thing I *do* know is that IE has much more functionality built
    in, and much more support for programming created by third-parties. My guess
    is that most of the "bugs" you speak of are in the 3rd-party programming,
    not IE itself. So yeah, competitors exhibit fewer bugs, but that's because
    they provide much less functionality and much less support for 3rd-party
    programming.

    I don't know what you do or don't know, but I *do* know that much of what
    you've been spouting in this group over the last several weeks is
    balderdash, much of it repeated "wisdom" that isn't any such thing. And you
    still haven't explained why, if you think MS wares are so buggy and
    undesirable, you persist in using them. Or was that what you were referring
    to in your opening line, the one about, "We all have to deal with what we
    have and what we have access to..."? Are you saying you're using Windows
    because you have no choice? Which, I take it, also means you haven't ever
    really used anything else? Could it be that you're indulging in a "grass is
    greener" argument. Could it be that if you put some effort into learning
    proper usage of Windows, if you were to, in a sense, fertilize your own
    lawn, you might notice that it will become a lot greener on this side of the
    fence? Are you saying, "I'm too poor and destitute to use a *good* computer
    system, but I'm perfectly qualified to advise you to stop using Windows, et
    al."?

    It's obvious from your correspondence that your knowledge on these subjects
    is lacking. That's OK, that's why these groups exist--to teach ourselves and
    others about Windows usage. What's *not* OK, at least not in my book, is to
    slam the technology we're here to discuss without any *facts* or underlying
    knowledge to back it up. Your pronouncments amount to a huge bag of hot air,
    essentially useless to the rest of us.

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    http://grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

    > (running MAC OS platforms on other hardware isn't even an option.)

    Pssst!! Psssttt!! Over here! Quick!

    Now don't tell anyone else.

    http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=168601296

    It'll be our secret.......

    Sheesh! Talk about timing!

    --

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    >> (running MAC OS platforms on other hardware isn't even an option.)
    >
    > Pssst!! Psssttt!! Over here! Quick!
    >
    > Now don't tell anyone else.
    >
    > http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=168601296
    >
    > It'll be our secret.......