Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with Task Scheduler utility

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:47:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why the
Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.



I have the following questions:

I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler

If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
Windows critical update notification still function?

Any input would be apprecaited,

Frank

More about : task scheduler utility

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:47:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Yes, that's why.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2ojnd15uj6ohumvm7fr9176vf96nn6kkim@4ax.com...
>I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
> Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
> critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why the
> Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.
>
>
>
> I have the following questions:
>
> I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
> fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler
>
> If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
> Windows critical update notification still function?
>
> Any input would be apprecaited,
>
> Frank
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:47:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

When the task scheduler icon returns after the task scheduler is turned off,
that is because of the critical update notification. I have not used W98
for quite a while--are there any critical updates being made? There might
not be any reason to have critical updates enabled.

--
Regards


Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo



"ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2ojnd15uj6ohumvm7fr9176vf96nn6kkim@4ax.com...
>I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
> Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
> critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why the
> Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.
>
>
>
> I have the following questions:
>
> I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
> fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler
>
> If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
> Windows critical update notification still function?
>
> Any input would be apprecaited,
>
> Frank
Related resources
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:47:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

There was a Win98 Critical Update just last Tuesday. Whether there is a
Win98 version posted yet or not, I can't say, but one is promised.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
news:o q6XGD8iFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> When the task scheduler icon returns after the task scheduler is
> turned off, that is because of the critical update notification. I
> have not used W98 for quite a while--are there any critical updates
> being made? There might not be any reason to have critical updates
> enabled.
>
> --
> Regards
>
>
> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>
>
>
> "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:2ojnd15uj6ohumvm7fr9176vf96nn6kkim@4ax.com...
>>I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
>> Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
>> critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why
>> the
>> Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.
>>
>>
>>
>> I have the following questions:
>>
>> I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
>> fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler
>>
>> If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
>> Windows critical update notification still function?
>>
>> Any input would be apprecaited,
>>
>> Frank
>
>
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:09:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

It seems to be there all right...

Security Update for JView Profiler (KB903235)
Download size: 105 KB, < 1 minute
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise a computer running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
update, which sets a registry key that blocks attempts to take advantage
of this issue. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
computer. Read more...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05...
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-037
Vulnerability in JView Profiler Could Allow Remote Code Execution
(903235)


--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o EtRhQ8iFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| There was a Win98 Critical Update just last Tuesday. Whether there is
a
| Win98 version posted yet or not, I can't say, but one is promised.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP Shell/User
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
|
| "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
| news:o q6XGD8iFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| > When the task scheduler icon returns after the task scheduler is
| > turned off, that is because of the critical update notification. I
| > have not used W98 for quite a while--are there any critical updates
| > being made? There might not be any reason to have critical updates
| > enabled.
| >
| > --
| > Regards
| >
| >
| > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
| > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
| > Knowledge Base Info:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
| >
| >
| >
| > "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
| > news:2ojnd15uj6ohumvm7fr9176vf96nn6kkim@4ax.com...
| >>I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon
for
| >> Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have
WIndows
| >> critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why
| >> the
| >> Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.
| >>
| >>
| >>
| >> I have the following questions:
| >>
| >> I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite
the
| >> fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler
| >>
| >> If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
| >> Windows critical update notification still function?
| >>
| >> Any input would be apprecaited,
| >>
| >> Frank
| >
| >
|
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:12:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2ojnd15uj6ohumvm7fr9176vf96nn6kkim@4ax.com...
> I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
> Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
> critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why the
> Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.

Yes, it is.

> I have the following questions:
>
> I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
> fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler

Is that a question?

> If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
> Windows critical update notification still function?

I don't believe you *can* successfully remove it if Critical Update Notification is
installed. Why not just uninstall the Update Notification via Add\Remove Programs,
and manually check for updates once a month....they are released the first Tuesday
of the month, IIRC.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:09:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Thanks to the reponders for their assistance and clarity.

Frank



On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:12:09 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>
>"ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:2ojnd15uj6ohumvm7fr9176vf96nn6kkim@4ax.com...
>> I have Win 98SE and try as I may I cannot seem to remove the icon for
>> Task Scheduler from starting when WIndows is started. I have WIndows
>> critical update notification in Start Up and wonder if that is why the
>> Task Scheduler shows up in the system tray.
>
>Yes, it is.
>
>> I have the following questions:
>>
>> I do not seem to be getting critical update notifications despite the
>> fact that it is activated in the Task Scheduler
>
>Is that a question?
>
>> If I successfully remove Task Scheduler from the system tray will
>> Windows critical update notification still function?
>
>I don't believe you *can* successfully remove it if Critical Update Notification is
>installed. Why not just uninstall the Update Notification via Add\Remove Programs,
>and manually check for updates once a month....they are released the first Tuesday
>of the month, IIRC.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:40:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:i9rpd15ukf2noit736ovbd3kjcrjhmibod@4ax.com...
> Thanks to the reponders for their assistance and clarity.
>
> Frank

Get rid of IE, get Mozilla or Opera or whatever; problems will
disappear the less you use micro products.

...Rex..
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:41:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Other than the fact that what you say is pure BS, what in blazes does IE
have to do with Task Scheduler and Critical Updates Notification?

Hey, if "problems will disappear the less you use micro products", why
don't you just get something from Apple (so your world will be limited
to simple tasks you *might* be able to handle), or dive into the *nix
world, and spend the rest of your years just getting the OS to function
at all, and eschew MS altogether? Put your money where your mouth is and
leave those of us who *know* that Windows is a superior product for the
purpose (when all factors are considered) get on with our business.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ufSECBclFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> Get rid of IE, get Mozilla or Opera or whatever; problems will
> disappear the less you use micro products.
>
> ..Rex..
>
>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:24:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

We all have to deal with what we have and what we have access to,
and its global that IE attracts *bugs*.
Since my first use of a different browser I noticed a huge drop in
*problems*, if this werent true you wouldnt find people daily switching over
to non micro
products for browsing & etc.
Yeah, sure, I'll leave *things* to those who know, but the world I know is
one where the more you know the less you know.

...Rex..

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:unZv4jglFHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Other than the fact that what you say is pure BS, what in blazes does IE
> have to do with Task Scheduler and Critical Updates Notification?
>
> Hey, if "problems will disappear the less you use micro products", why
> don't you just get something from Apple (so your world will be limited
> to simple tasks you *might* be able to handle), or dive into the *nix
> world, and spend the rest of your years just getting the OS to function
> at all, and eschew MS altogether? Put your money where your mouth is and
> leave those of us who *know* that Windows is a superior product for the
> purpose (when all factors are considered) get on with our business.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>
> "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ufSECBclFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> > Get rid of IE, get Mozilla or Opera or whatever; problems will
> > disappear the less you use micro products.
> >
> > ..Rex..
> >
> >
>
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:10:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

If you're hunting polar bears, you go to the Arctic. If you're hunting
penguins, you go to the Antarctic. Closer to home, the classic reason for
robbing banks is that "that's where the money is." The reason Windows
attracts more security attacks isn't because it's any more vulnerable than
competitors, it's because it is the underlying OS for *most* of the casual
data storage in the world. Were MAC or some Linux system to gain a truly
significant place in the OS distribution, you would see a correspondingly
major proportion of attacks directed at those platforms. I won't even try to
educate you on the vast difference between Windows and other platforms,
where Windows is designed to run (and usually succeeds) on an incredible
variety of hardware, usually without much hassle at all, certainly much less
than the hassle required to maintain a Linux platform (running MAC OS
platforms on other hardware isn't even an option.)

I'm not sure I understand your "attracts bugs" statement. You're stating
that IE has more functional bugs than competitors? I'd like to see the stats
on that. One thing I *do* know is that IE has much more functionality built
in, and much more support for programming created by third-parties. My guess
is that most of the "bugs" you speak of are in the 3rd-party programming,
not IE itself. So yeah, competitors exhibit fewer bugs, but that's because
they provide much less functionality and much less support for 3rd-party
programming.

I don't know what you do or don't know, but I *do* know that much of what
you've been spouting in this group over the last several weeks is
balderdash, much of it repeated "wisdom" that isn't any such thing. And you
still haven't explained why, if you think MS wares are so buggy and
undesirable, you persist in using them. Or was that what you were referring
to in your opening line, the one about, "We all have to deal with what we
have and what we have access to..."? Are you saying you're using Windows
because you have no choice? Which, I take it, also means you haven't ever
really used anything else? Could it be that you're indulging in a "grass is
greener" argument. Could it be that if you put some effort into learning
proper usage of Windows, if you were to, in a sense, fertilize your own
lawn, you might notice that it will become a lot greener on this side of the
fence? Are you saying, "I'm too poor and destitute to use a *good* computer
system, but I'm perfectly qualified to advise you to stop using Windows, et
al."?

It's obvious from your correspondence that your knowledge on these subjects
is lacking. That's OK, that's why these groups exist--to teach ourselves and
others about Windows usage. What's *not* OK, at least not in my book, is to
slam the technology we're here to discuss without any *facts* or underlying
knowledge to back it up. Your pronouncments amount to a huge bag of hot air,
essentially useless to the rest of us.

Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Rex" <Rex@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23vulKplnFHA.3316@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> We all have to deal with what we have and what we have access to,
> and its global that IE attracts *bugs*.
> Since my first use of a different browser I noticed a huge drop in
> *problems*, if this werent true you wouldnt find people daily switching
> over
> to non micro
> products for browsing & etc.
> Yeah, sure, I'll leave *things* to those who know, but the world I know is
> one where the more you know the less you know.
>
> ..Rex..
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:unZv4jglFHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Other than the fact that what you say is pure BS, what in blazes does IE
>> have to do with Task Scheduler and Critical Updates Notification?
>>
>> Hey, if "problems will disappear the less you use micro products", why
>> don't you just get something from Apple (so your world will be limited
>> to simple tasks you *might* be able to handle), or dive into the *nix
>> world, and spend the rest of your years just getting the OS to function
>> at all, and eschew MS altogether? Put your money where your mouth is and
>> leave those of us who *know* that Windows is a superior product for the
>> purpose (when all factors are considered) get on with our business.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:ufSECBclFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>> > Get rid of IE, get Mozilla or Opera or whatever; problems will
>> > disappear the less you use micro products.
>> >
>> > ..Rex..
>> >
>> >
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:10:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:%23NIsy1GoFHA.1216@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> (running MAC OS platforms on other hardware isn't even an option.)

Pssst!! Psssttt!! Over here! Quick!

Now don't tell anyone else.

http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?arti...

It'll be our secret.......
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:10:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Sheesh! Talk about timing!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User
http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://grystmill.com/articles/security.htm


"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message
news:o DkeDgIoFHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:%23NIsy1GoFHA.1216@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
>> (running MAC OS platforms on other hardware isn't even an option.)
>
> Pssst!! Psssttt!! Over here! Quick!
>
> Now don't tell anyone else.
>
> http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?arti...
>
> It'll be our secret.......
>
>
!