CD Reads Data Disc as Audio

After re-formatting hard drive and re-loading Windows98 my cd rom reads data
cd's as an audio cd. This is a old PC with a 52 speed cdr. It also has Nero 6
loaded on it. I have searched the Internet and found that others have had the
same issue but no solutions. Does anyone have an idea on this? Even the
Windows CD Player tries to play it and if you look at it in Windows Explorer
it swos Track 1 and so on.

"jmace845" <jmace845@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> After re-formatting hard drive and re-loading Windows98 my cd rom reads
data
> cd's as an audio cd. This is a old PC with a 52 speed cdr. It also has
Nero 6
> loaded on it. I have searched the Internet and found that others have had
the
> same issue but no solutions. Does anyone have an idea on this? Even the
> Windows CD Player tries to play it and if you look at it in Windows
Explorer

Some BIOS Setup routines allow you to assign
the CD drive as an audio player. I do not know
whether Win98 can override this or not.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Are the CD's in question home-burnt discs, or factory-burnt discs?
Have you tried cleaning the CD drive with an inexpensive audio CD drive cleaning
disc?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jmace845" <jmace845@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After re-formatting hard drive and re-loading Windows98 my cd rom reads data
> cd's as an audio cd. This is a old PC with a 52 speed cdr. It also has Nero 6
> loaded on it. I have searched the Internet and found that others have had the
> same issue but no solutions. Does anyone have an idea on this? Even the
> Windows CD Player tries to play it and if you look at it in Windows Explorer
> it swos Track 1 and so on.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q237948
Troubleshoot CD-R_W

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=218617
Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

I guess, a first try would be...

(1) Boot to Safe Mode. (Hold F5 as you boot, or hold CTRL for the
Startup Menu, & select Safe Mode from that.)
(2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
(3) Open the CD-ROM branch, by clicking it's plus sign.
(4) Highlight each drive in that branch, & click "Remove".
(Safe Mode may reveal the presence of a "ghost".)
(5) Close up, & boot to Normal Mode.

Hopefully Windows will find the correct drivers, & all will be well.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,