No longer see file details in web page view

When I highlight a file in a folder I no longer can see the file details nor
does it generate a thumbnail preview of picture files. I used to know the
fix but can't remember. Any help apprediated.
14 answers Last reply
More about longer file details page view

    Ron,

    I tried the old thumbnail fix and no joy this time.

    "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > When I highlight a file in a folder I no longer can see the file details
    nor
    > does it generate a thumbnail preview of picture files. I used to know the
    > fix but can't remember. Any help apprediated.

    You should find those options on the View Tab of the Menu bar. View
    as a Webpage will get you the preview of your pics. (In Windows
    Explorer, Win98)

    "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > When I highlight a file in a folder I no longer can see the file
    details nor
    > does it generate a thumbnail preview of picture files. I used to
    know the
    > fix but can't remember. Any help apprediated.

    Left click in the Explorer's right panel. Press Control and the plus (+) in
    the numeric keypad (right side of keyboard). If this doesn't work, read
    this article:

    Windows Explorer Does Not Display Item's Contents in Right Pane [Q179875]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/8/75.asp
    ********

    Look at: THUMBNAIL PREVIEWS OF PICTURE FILES DO NOT APPEAR IN EXPLORER
    at my site, see signature

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > When I highlight a file in a folder I no longer can see the file details
    > nor
    > does it generate a thumbnail preview of picture files. I used to know the
    > fix but can't remember. Any help apprediated.

    There is a thumbnail view repair file from MVP Doug Knox on his site:
    www.dougknox.com, just go to utilities in the left column menu, then look for
    "Repair image preview and thumbnail view in Windows Explorer" in the right-column.

    Here is the direct link to the page:
    Repair Image Preview:
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/fixpix.htm

    Is that what you tried?
    Try it again....if still no joy, try this:

    Click Start>Run, type:

    REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL and click OK.

    Click Start>Run, type:

    REGSVR32 WEBVW.DLL and click OK.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Ron,
    >
    > I tried the old thumbnail fix and no joy this time.
    >
    > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > When I highlight a file in a folder I no longer can see the file details
    > nor
    > > does it generate a thumbnail preview of picture files. I used to know the
    > > fix but can't remember. Any help apprediated.

    Hi Ron,

    Glad to see you're still here.

    I don't think we're on the same page with my problem yet. If I open a
    folder, which has "view as web page" activated, the folder icon & name shows
    up in the upper left corner and as I select different files in this folder
    the name of the file, size and a thumbnail preview of pictures is supposed
    to show up under the folder icon. This is no longer happening.

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > Left click in the Explorer's right panel. Press Control and the plus (+)
    in
    > the numeric keypad (right side of keyboard). If this doesn't work, read
    > this article:
    >
    > Windows Explorer Does Not Display Item's Contents in Right Pane [Q179875]
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/8/75.asp
    > ********
    >
    > Look at: THUMBNAIL PREVIEWS OF PICTURE FILES DO NOT APPEAR IN EXPLORER
    > at my site, see signature
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >

    > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >

    > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > When I highlight a file in a folder I no longer can see the file details
    > > nor
    > > does it generate a thumbnail preview of picture files. I used to know
    the
    > > fix but can't remember. Any help apprediated.

    Try this fix from Aumha.org
    "Restore Explorer Thumbnail Preview capability. Win 9x"
    http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#tn

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > Glad to see you're still here.
    >
    > I don't think we're on the same page with my problem yet. If I open
    > folder, which has "view as web page" activated, the folder icon & name
    > shows
    > up in the upper left corner and as I select different files in this
    > folder
    > the name of the file, size and a thumbnail preview of pictures is
    > supposed
    > to show up under the folder icon. This is no longer happening.
    >
    > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    >> Left click in the Explorer's right panel. Press Control and the plus
    >> (+)
    > in
    >> the numeric keypad (right side of keyboard). If this doesn't work,
    >> read
    >> this article:
    >>
    >> Windows Explorer Does Not Display Item's Contents in Right Pane
    >> [Q179875]
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/8/75.asp
    >> ********
    >>
    >> Look at: THUMBNAIL PREVIEWS OF PICTURE FILES DO NOT APPEAR IN
    >> EXPLORER
    >> at my site, see signature
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >>

    >> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    >> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    >> Knowledge Base Info:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >>

    >> "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I highlight a file in a folder I no longer can see the file
    >> > details
    >> > nor
    >> > does it generate a thumbnail preview of picture files. I used to
    >> > know
    > the
    >> > fix but can't remember. Any help apprediated.

    Since you apparently did not see my reply to your second post, I will repost it
    here:

    There is a thumbnail view repair file from MVP Doug Knox on his site:
    www.dougknox.com, just go to utilities in the left column menu, then look for
    "Repair image preview and thumbnail view in Windows Explorer" in the right-column.

    Here is the direct link to the page:
    Repair Image Preview:
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/fixpix.htm

    Is that what you tried?
    Try it again....if still no joy, try this:

    Click Start>Run, type:

    REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL and click OK.

    Click Start>Run, type:

    REGSVR32 WEBVW.DLL and click OK.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Ron,
    >
    > Glad to see you're still here.
    >
    > I don't think we're on the same page with my problem yet. If I open a
    > folder, which has "view as web page" activated, the folder icon & name shows
    > up in the upper left corner and as I select different files in this folder
    > the name of the file, size and a thumbnail preview of pictures is supposed
    > to show up under the folder icon. This is no longer happening.
    >
    > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > > Left click in the Explorer's right panel. Press Control and the plus (+)
    > in
    > > the numeric keypad (right side of keyboard). If this doesn't work, read
    > > this article:
    > >
    > > Windows Explorer Does Not Display Item's Contents in Right Pane [Q179875]
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/8/75.asp
    > > ********
    > >
    > > Look at: THUMBNAIL PREVIEWS OF PICTURE FILES DO NOT APPEAR IN EXPLORER
    > > at my site, see signature
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards
    > >

    > > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > > Knowledge Base Info:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    > >

    > > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I highlight a file in a folder I no longer can see the file details
    > > > nor
    > > > does it generate a thumbnail preview of picture files. I used to know
    > the
    > > > fix but can't remember. Any help apprediated.

    Solved the problem on another thread. Repaired IE6 and everythings running
    fine again. Thanks for all the help offered.

    > Try this fix from Aumha.org
    > "Restore Explorer Thumbnail Preview capability. Win 9x"
    > http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#tn
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Ron,
    > >
    > > Glad to see you're still here.
    > >
    > > I don't think we're on the same page with my problem yet. If I open
    > > folder, which has "view as web page" activated, the folder icon & name
    > > shows
    > > up in the upper left corner and as I select different files in this
    > > folder
    > > the name of the file, size and a thumbnail preview of pictures is
    > > supposed
    > > to show up under the folder icon. This is no longer happening.
    > >
    > > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > >> Left click in the Explorer's right panel. Press Control and the plus
    > >> (+)
    > > in
    > >> the numeric keypad (right side of keyboard). If this doesn't work,
    > >> read
    > >> this article:
    > >>
    > >> Windows Explorer Does Not Display Item's Contents in Right Pane
    > >> [Q179875]
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/8/75.asp
    > >> ********
    > >>
    > >> Look at: THUMBNAIL PREVIEWS OF PICTURE FILES DO NOT APPEAR IN
    > >> EXPLORER
    > >> at my site, see signature
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards
    > >>

    > >> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > >> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > >> Knowledge Base Info:
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    > >>

    > >> "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > the

    LOL....so the WMP9 problem and the web view problem both were fixed with the IE
    repair? Cool! Somebody is having a good day....glad it's you!
    --

    > Solved the problem on another thread. Repaired IE6 and everythings running
    > fine again. Thanks for all the help offered.

    > > Try this fix from Aumha.org
    > > "Restore Explorer Thumbnail Preview capability. Win 9x"
    > > http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#tn
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Ron,
    > > >
    > > > Glad to see you're still here.
    > > >
    > > > I don't think we're on the same page with my problem yet. If I open
    > > > folder, which has "view as web page" activated, the folder icon & name
    > > > shows
    > > > up in the upper left corner and as I select different files in this
    > > > folder
    > > > the name of the file, size and a thumbnail preview of pictures is
    > > > supposed
    > > > to show up under the folder icon. This is no longer happening.
    > > >
    > > > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > > > in

    > > > the

    You solved the problem Glee by repairing the IE6.

    I was thinking about it myself because I was noticing
    some strange things going on with the browser (couldn't access Windows
    Update or Hotmail), but I couldn't figure out how to repair it. They don't
    have a nice button to push in Add/Remove Programs anymore.

    Thanks very, very much, I was starting to get worried. Amazing that
    repairing IE6 fixed so many problems, including functioning of WMP9.
    Windows Explorer I can rationalize but WMP?

    Anyway you guys on the newsgroups have snatched my buns out of the fire once
    again. I don't know how you do it.

    Thanks again. All the best.

    > Since you apparently did not see my reply to your second post, I will
    repost it
    > here:
    >
    > There is a thumbnail view repair file from MVP Doug Knox on his site:
    > www.dougknox.com, just go to utilities in the left column menu, then look
    for
    > "Repair image preview and thumbnail view in Windows Explorer" in the
    right-column.

    > Here is the direct link to the page:
    > Repair Image Preview:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/fixpix.htm
    >
    > Is that what you tried?
    > Try it again....if still no joy, try this:
    >
    > Click Start>Run, type:
    >
    > REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL and click OK.
    >
    > Click Start>Run, type:
    >
    > REGSVR32 WEBVW.DLL and click OK.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Ron,
    > >
    > > Glad to see you're still here.
    > >
    > > I don't think we're on the same page with my problem yet. If I open a
    > > folder, which has "view as web page" activated, the folder icon & name
    shows
    > > up in the upper left corner and as I select different files in this
    folder
    > > the name of the file, size and a thumbnail preview of pictures is
    supposed
    > > to show up under the folder icon. This is no longer happening.
    > >
    > > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > > > Left click in the Explorer's right panel. Press Control and the plus
    (+)
    > > in
    > > > the numeric keypad (right side of keyboard). If this doesn't work,
    read
    > > > this article:
    > > >
    > > > Windows Explorer Does Not Display Item's Contents in Right Pane
    [Q179875]
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/8/75.asp
    > > > ********
    > > >
    > > > Look at: THUMBNAIL PREVIEWS OF PICTURE FILES DO NOT APPEAR IN
    EXPLORER
    > > > at my site, see signature
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Regards
    > > >

    > > > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
    > > > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > > > Knowledge Base Info:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    > > >

    > > > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > the

    If IE Repair fixed all that, my intuition suggests that spyware, etc.,
    were possibly at the root of the problem. What kind of malware scans
    have you done recently?

    I had something concise and clear to say about IE and its integration
    into the OS, its being an underpinning to so many programs, especially
    those from MS... But I forgot...

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > You solved the problem Glee by repairing the IE6.
    >
    > I was thinking about it myself because I was noticing
    > some strange things going on with the browser (couldn't access Windows
    > Update or Hotmail), but I couldn't figure out how to repair it. They
    > don't
    > have a nice button to push in Add/Remove Programs anymore.
    >
    > Thanks very, very much, I was starting to get worried. Amazing that
    > repairing IE6 fixed so many problems, including functioning of WMP9.
    > Windows Explorer I can rationalize but WMP?
    >
    > Anyway you guys on the newsgroups have snatched my buns out of the
    > fire once
    > again. I don't know how you do it.
    >
    > Thanks again. All the best.

    >> Since you apparently did not see my reply to your second post, I will
    > repost it
    >> here:
    >>
    >> There is a thumbnail view repair file from MVP Doug Knox on his site:
    >> www.dougknox.com, just go to utilities in the left column menu, then
    >> look
    > for
    >> "Repair image preview and thumbnail view in Windows Explorer" in the
    > right-column.
    >>
    >> Here is the direct link to the page:
    >> Repair Image Preview:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/fixpix.htm
    >>
    >> Is that what you tried?
    >> Try it again....if still no joy, try this:
    >>
    >> Click Start>Run, type:
    >>
    >> REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL and click OK.
    >>
    >> Click Start>Run, type:
    >>
    >> REGSVR32 WEBVW.DLL and click OK.
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Ron,
    >> >
    >> > Glad to see you're still here.
    >> >
    >> > I don't think we're on the same page with my problem yet. If I
    >> > open a
    >> > folder, which has "view as web page" activated, the folder icon &
    >> > name
    > shows
    >> > up in the upper left corner and as I select different files in this
    > folder
    >> > the name of the file, size and a thumbnail preview of pictures is
    > supposed
    >> > to show up under the folder icon. This is no longer happening.
    >> >
    >> > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > (+)
    >> > in
    > read

    > [Q179875]

    > EXPLORER

    > details
    > know
    >> > the

    Hi Gary,

    Yes I suspected that something got into my system but I'll be darned if I
    can find it. I've scanned with Spybot, Spysubtract, Ad-Aware, Spysweeper,
    NOD32, Aluris Spyware Eliminator and found nothing.

    > If IE Repair fixed all that, my intuition suggests that spyware, etc.,
    > were possibly at the root of the problem. What kind of malware scans
    > have you done recently?
    >
    > I had something concise and clear to say about IE and its integration
    > into the OS, its being an underpinning to so many programs, especially
    > those from MS... But I forgot...
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > You solved the problem Glee by repairing the IE6.
    > >
    > > I was thinking about it myself because I was noticing
    > > some strange things going on with the browser (couldn't access Windows
    > > Update or Hotmail), but I couldn't figure out how to repair it. They
    > > don't
    > > have a nice button to push in Add/Remove Programs anymore.
    > >
    > > Thanks very, very much, I was starting to get worried. Amazing that
    > > repairing IE6 fixed so many problems, including functioning of WMP9.
    > > Windows Explorer I can rationalize but WMP?
    > >
    > > Anyway you guys on the newsgroups have snatched my buns out of the
    > > fire once
    > > again. I don't know how you do it.
    > >
    > > Thanks again. All the best.
    > >
    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > >> Since you apparently did not see my reply to your second post, I will
    > > repost it
    > >> here:
    > >>
    > >> There is a thumbnail view repair file from MVP Doug Knox on his site:
    > >> www.dougknox.com, just go to utilities in the left column menu, then
    > >> look
    > > for
    > >> "Repair image preview and thumbnail view in Windows Explorer" in the
    > > right-column.
    > >>
    > >> Here is the direct link to the page:
    > >> Repair Image Preview:
    > >> http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/fixpix.htm
    > >>
    > >> Is that what you tried?
    > >> Try it again....if still no joy, try this:
    > >>
    > >> Click Start>Run, type:
    > >>
    > >> REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL and click OK.
    > >>
    > >> Click Start>Run, type:
    > >>
    > >> REGSVR32 WEBVW.DLL and click OK.
    > >> --
    > >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >>

    > >> "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > > shows
    > > folder
    > > supposed

    > > (+)
    > > read

    > > [Q179875]

    > > EXPLORER

    > > details
    > > know

    Well, it does look like you covered a lot of bases. Might consider
    reading Jim Eshelman's newly revised anti-parasite pages at
    www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm. An online scan or two, a HijackThis scan
    submitted to the appropriate Aumha forum... Might find something that
    has managed to avoid, evade or cripple your existing protection

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Hi Gary,
    >
    > Yes I suspected that something got into my system but I'll be darned
    > if I
    > can find it. I've scanned with Spybot, Spysubtract, Ad-Aware,
    > Spysweeper,
    > NOD32, Aluris Spyware Eliminator and found nothing.

    >> If IE Repair fixed all that, my intuition suggests that spyware,
    >> etc.,
    >> were possibly at the root of the problem. What kind of malware scans
    >> have you done recently?
    >>
    >> I had something concise and clear to say about IE and its integration
    >> into the OS, its being an underpinning to so many programs,
    >> especially
    >> those from MS... But I forgot...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > You solved the problem Glee by repairing the IE6.
    >> >
    >> > I was thinking about it myself because I was noticing
    >> > some strange things going on with the browser (couldn't access
    >> > Windows
    >> > Update or Hotmail), but I couldn't figure out how to repair it.
    >> > They
    >> > don't
    >> > have a nice button to push in Add/Remove Programs anymore.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks very, very much, I was starting to get worried. Amazing
    >> > that
    >> > repairing IE6 fixed so many problems, including functioning of
    >> > WMP9.
    >> > Windows Explorer I can rationalize but WMP?
    >> >
    >> > Anyway you guys on the newsgroups have snatched my buns out of the
    >> > fire once
    >> > again. I don't know how you do it.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks again. All the best.
    >> >
    >> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> > repost it

    >> > for
    >> > right-column.

    >> > shows
    >> > folder
    >> > supposed

    >> > (+)
    >> > read

    >> > [Q179875]

    >> > EXPLORER

    >> > details
    >> > know

    Thanks Gary, I'll take a look.

    > Well, it does look like you covered a lot of bases. Might consider
    > reading Jim Eshelman's newly revised anti-parasite pages at
    > www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm. An online scan or two, a HijackThis scan
    > submitted to the appropriate Aumha forum... Might find something that
    > has managed to avoid, evade or cripple your existing protection
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Gary,
    > >
    > > Yes I suspected that something got into my system but I'll be darned
    > > if I
    > > can find it. I've scanned with Spybot, Spysubtract, Ad-Aware,
    > > Spysweeper,
    > > NOD32, Aluris Spyware Eliminator and found nothing.
    > >
    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> If IE Repair fixed all that, my intuition suggests that spyware,
    > >> etc.,
    > >> were possibly at the root of the problem. What kind of malware scans
    > >> have you done recently?
    > >>
    > >> I had something concise and clear to say about IE and its integration
    > >> into the OS, its being an underpinning to so many programs,
    > >> especially
    > >> those from MS... But I forgot...
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Gary S. Terhune