Windows Media Player 9 Error

Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
improvement.
10 answers Last reply
More about windows media player error

    Where are you getting the copy of WMP9 that you are trying to install?
    Is that the complete entire error message?

    Have you posted the problem on the mediaplayer forums?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
    > Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
    > improvement.

    Start here:
    http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
    --
    mae

    "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    > Start here:
    > http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
    > --
    > mae

    Good catch, mae :-)
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > | Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
    > | Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
    > | improvement.

    I always look there and
    http://msmvps.com/chrisl/
    before even using WMP's "help".
    --
    mae

    | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    | > Start here:
    | > http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
    | > --
    | > mae
    |
    | Good catch, mae :-)
    | --
    | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    |

    | > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | > | Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
    | > | Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
    | > | improvement.
    | > |

    Thanks Mae & Glee,

    I took a read but I don't think it's leading down the correct path, unless
    I've misread something. All I'm trying to do is play back wav & mp3 files
    stored on my hard drive using WMP9.

    What I can say is that if I uninstall WMP9 I end up rolling back to WMP6.4
    which plays wav files on my hard drive fine.

    When I install WMP9 (downloaded from Microsoft), the error message "internal
    application error" pops up at the end of the installation or any time I try
    to run WMP9 thereafter. Almost as if there's something wrong with the WMP9
    that I've downloaded. This gives me a thought that I should try looking for
    & installing an older version of WMP9, if I can find it on my computer. Let
    you know how I do. Please keep the ideas coming if you have any more. I
    appreciate the help.

    "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    > Start here:
    > http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
    > --
    > mae
    >
    > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > | Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
    > | Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
    > | improvement.

    Same problem with a previously downloaded version of WMP9. This is really
    wierd because it was working this morning.

    P.S. I haven't knowingly installed any codex today.

    > Thanks Mae & Glee,
    >
    > I took a read but I don't think it's leading down the correct path, unless
    > I've misread something. All I'm trying to do is play back wav & mp3 files
    > stored on my hard drive using WMP9.
    >
    > What I can say is that if I uninstall WMP9 I end up rolling back to WMP6.4
    > which plays wav files on my hard drive fine.
    >
    > When I install WMP9 (downloaded from Microsoft), the error message
    "internal
    > application error" pops up at the end of the installation or any time I
    try
    > to run WMP9 thereafter. Almost as if there's something wrong with the
    WMP9
    > that I've downloaded. This gives me a thought that I should try looking
    for
    > & installing an older version of WMP9, if I can find it on my computer.
    Let
    > you know how I do. Please keep the ideas coming if you have any more. I
    > appreciate the help.
    >
    > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Start here:
    > > http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
    > > --
    > > mae
    > >
    > > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > | Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
    > > | Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
    > > | improvement.

    Did you "go into your CD-ROM driver properties (to get this, right-click on My
    Computer, select Properties, select Device Manager, select the "CD-ROM" listing,
    select the drive in question, select Properties) and uncheck "Use DMA" on the
    Settings tab?

    Did you install any codec packs, particularly from sources other than MS?

    Did you try at least an IE repair?

    Click Start>Run, type (or copy/paste) the following and click Enter, for IE6x:
    RUNDLL32 SETUPWBV.DLL,IE6Maintenance

    Choose the Repair option, and follow the prompts.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Mae & Glee,
    >
    > I took a read but I don't think it's leading down the correct path, unless
    > I've misread something. All I'm trying to do is play back wav & mp3 files
    > stored on my hard drive using WMP9.
    >
    > What I can say is that if I uninstall WMP9 I end up rolling back to WMP6.4
    > which plays wav files on my hard drive fine.
    >
    > When I install WMP9 (downloaded from Microsoft), the error message "internal
    > application error" pops up at the end of the installation or any time I try
    > to run WMP9 thereafter. Almost as if there's something wrong with the WMP9
    > that I've downloaded. This gives me a thought that I should try looking for
    > & installing an older version of WMP9, if I can find it on my computer. Let
    > you know how I do. Please keep the ideas coming if you have any more. I
    > appreciate the help.
    >
    > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Start here:
    > > http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
    > > --
    > > mae
    > >
    > > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > | Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
    > > | Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
    > > | improvement.

    That was it Glee,

    Repairing the IE6. I was thinking about it myself because I was noticing
    some strange things going on with the browser (couldn't access Windows
    Update or Hotmail), but I couldn't figure out how to repair it. They don't
    have a nice button to push in Add/Remove Programs anymore.

    Thanks very, very much, I was starting to get worried. Amazing that
    repairing IE6 fixed so many problems, including functioning of WMP9.
    Windows Explorer I can rationalize but WMP?

    Anyway you guys on the newsgroups have snatched my buns out of the fire once
    again. I don't know how you do it.

    Thanks again. All the best.

    > Did you "go into your CD-ROM driver properties (to get this, right-click
    on My
    > Computer, select Properties, select Device Manager, select the "CD-ROM"
    listing,
    > select the drive in question, select Properties) and uncheck "Use DMA" on
    the
    > Settings tab?
    >
    > Did you install any codec packs, particularly from sources other than MS?
    >
    > Did you try at least an IE repair?
    >
    > Click Start>Run, type (or copy/paste) the following and click Enter, for
    IE6x:
    > RUNDLL32 SETUPWBV.DLL,IE6Maintenance
    >
    > Choose the Repair option, and follow the prompts.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Mae & Glee,
    > >
    > > I took a read but I don't think it's leading down the correct path,
    unless
    > > I've misread something. All I'm trying to do is play back wav & mp3
    files
    > > stored on my hard drive using WMP9.
    > >
    > > What I can say is that if I uninstall WMP9 I end up rolling back to
    WMP6.4
    > > which plays wav files on my hard drive fine.
    > >
    > > When I install WMP9 (downloaded from Microsoft), the error message
    "internal
    > > application error" pops up at the end of the installation or any time I
    try
    > > to run WMP9 thereafter. Almost as if there's something wrong with the
    WMP9
    > > that I've downloaded. This gives me a thought that I should try looking
    for
    > > & installing an older version of WMP9, if I can find it on my computer.
    Let
    > > you know how I do. Please keep the ideas coming if you have any more.
    > > appreciate the help.
    > >
    > > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    > > > Start here:
    > > > http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
    > > > --
    > > > mae
    > > >
    > > > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to get one right once in a while. :-)
    --

    > That was it Glee,
    >
    > Repairing the IE6. I was thinking about it myself because I was noticing
    > some strange things going on with the browser (couldn't access Windows
    > Update or Hotmail), but I couldn't figure out how to repair it. They don't
    > have a nice button to push in Add/Remove Programs anymore.
    >
    > Thanks very, very much, I was starting to get worried. Amazing that
    > repairing IE6 fixed so many problems, including functioning of WMP9.
    > Windows Explorer I can rationalize but WMP?
    >
    > Anyway you guys on the newsgroups have snatched my buns out of the fire once
    > again. I don't know how you do it.
    >
    > Thanks again. All the best.

    > > Did you "go into your CD-ROM driver properties (to get this, right-click
    > on My
    > > Computer, select Properties, select Device Manager, select the "CD-ROM"
    > listing,
    > > select the drive in question, select Properties) and uncheck "Use DMA" on
    > the
    > > Settings tab?
    > >
    > > Did you install any codec packs, particularly from sources other than MS?
    > >
    > > Did you try at least an IE repair?
    > >
    > > Click Start>Run, type (or copy/paste) the following and click Enter, for
    > IE6x:
    > > RUNDLL32 SETUPWBV.DLL,IE6Maintenance
    > >
    > > Choose the Repair option, and follow the prompts.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks Mae & Glee,
    > > >
    > > > I took a read but I don't think it's leading down the correct path,
    > unless
    > > > I've misread something. All I'm trying to do is play back wav & mp3
    > files
    > > > stored on my hard drive using WMP9.
    > > >
    > > > What I can say is that if I uninstall WMP9 I end up rolling back to
    > WMP6.4
    > > > which plays wav files on my hard drive fine.
    > > >
    > > > When I install WMP9 (downloaded from Microsoft), the error message
    > "internal
    > > > application error" pops up at the end of the installation or any time I
    > try
    > > > to run WMP9 thereafter. Almost as if there's something wrong with the
    > WMP9
    > > > that I've downloaded. This gives me a thought that I should try looking
    > for
    > > > & installing an older version of WMP9, if I can find it on my computer.
    > Let
    > > > you know how I do. Please keep the ideas coming if you have any more.
    > > > appreciate the help.
    > > >
    > > > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message

    > "Internal

    I think it's more than once in a while. You've personnally saved my buns
    alone on numerous occassions.

Microsoft Dialog Media Player Windows