Windows Media Player 9 Error

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 18, 2005 9:40:46 PM

Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
improvement.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:25:00 PM

Where are you getting the copy of WMP9 that you are trying to install?
Is that the complete entire error message?

Have you posted the problem on the mediaplayer forums?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
> Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
> improvement.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:50:28 PM

Start here:
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
--
mae

"Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
| Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
| Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
| improvement.

July 19, 2005 12:59:37 AM

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> Start here:
> http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
> --
> mae

Good catch, mae :-)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> | Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
> | Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
> | improvement.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:59:38 AM

I always look there and
http://msmvps.com/chrisl/
before even using WMP's "help".
--
mae

| "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| > Start here:
| > http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
| > --
| > mae
|
| Good catch, mae :-)
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|

| > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
| > | Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
| > | Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
| > | improvement.
| > |

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:09:48 AM

Thanks Mae & Glee,

I took a read but I don't think it's leading down the correct path, unless
I've misread something. All I'm trying to do is play back wav & mp3 files
stored on my hard drive using WMP9.

What I can say is that if I uninstall WMP9 I end up rolling back to WMP6.4
which plays wav files on my hard drive fine.

When I install WMP9 (downloaded from Microsoft), the error message "internal
application error" pops up at the end of the installation or any time I try
to run WMP9 thereafter. Almost as if there's something wrong with the WMP9
that I've downloaded. This gives me a thought that I should try looking for
& installing an older version of WMP9, if I can find it on my computer. Let
you know how I do. Please keep the ideas coming if you have any more. I
appreciate the help.

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> Start here:
> http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
> --
> mae
>
> "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> | Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
> | Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
> | improvement.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:22:36 AM

Same problem with a previously downloaded version of WMP9. This is really
wierd because it was working this morning.

P.S. I haven't knowingly installed any codex today.

"Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o 9UFx9AjFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Mae & Glee,
>
> I took a read but I don't think it's leading down the correct path, unless
> I've misread something. All I'm trying to do is play back wav & mp3 files
> stored on my hard drive using WMP9.
>
> What I can say is that if I uninstall WMP9 I end up rolling back to WMP6.4
> which plays wav files on my hard drive fine.
>
> When I install WMP9 (downloaded from Microsoft), the error message
"internal
> application error" pops up at the end of the installation or any time I
try
> to run WMP9 thereafter. Almost as if there's something wrong with the
WMP9
> that I've downloaded. This gives me a thought that I should try looking
for
> & installing an older version of WMP9, if I can find it on my computer.
Let
> you know how I do. Please keep the ideas coming if you have any more. I
> appreciate the help.
>
> "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> > Start here:
> > http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
> > --
> > mae
> >
> > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > | Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
> > | Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
> > | improvement.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:26:58 AM

Did you "go into your CD-ROM driver properties (to get this, right-click on My
Computer, select Properties, select Device Manager, select the "CD-ROM" listing,
select the drive in question, select Properties) and uncheck "Use DMA" on the
Settings tab?

Did you install any codec packs, particularly from sources other than MS?

Did you try at least an IE repair?

Click Start>Run, type (or copy/paste) the following and click Enter, for IE6x:
RUNDLL32 SETUPWBV.DLL,IE6Maintenance

Choose the Repair option, and follow the prompts.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o 9UFx9AjFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Mae & Glee,
>
> I took a read but I don't think it's leading down the correct path, unless
> I've misread something. All I'm trying to do is play back wav & mp3 files
> stored on my hard drive using WMP9.
>
> What I can say is that if I uninstall WMP9 I end up rolling back to WMP6.4
> which plays wav files on my hard drive fine.
>
> When I install WMP9 (downloaded from Microsoft), the error message "internal
> application error" pops up at the end of the installation or any time I try
> to run WMP9 thereafter. Almost as if there's something wrong with the WMP9
> that I've downloaded. This gives me a thought that I should try looking for
> & installing an older version of WMP9, if I can find it on my computer. Let
> you know how I do. Please keep the ideas coming if you have any more. I
> appreciate the help.
>
> "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> > Start here:
> > http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
> > --
> > mae
> >
> > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > | Every time I try to start up WMP 9 I get an error dialog box "Internal
> > | Application Error". Have uninstalled WMP9 and reinstalled with no
> > | improvement.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:24:14 AM

That was it Glee,

Repairing the IE6. I was thinking about it myself because I was noticing
some strange things going on with the browser (couldn't access Windows
Update or Hotmail), but I couldn't figure out how to repair it. They don't
have a nice button to push in Add/Remove Programs anymore.

Thanks very, very much, I was starting to get worried. Amazing that
repairing IE6 fixed so many problems, including functioning of WMP9.
Windows Explorer I can rationalize but WMP?

Anyway you guys on the newsgroups have snatched my buns out of the fire once
again. I don't know how you do it.

Thanks again. All the best.

> Did you "go into your CD-ROM driver properties (to get this, right-click
on My
> Computer, select Properties, select Device Manager, select the "CD-ROM"
listing,
> select the drive in question, select Properties) and uncheck "Use DMA" on
the
> Settings tab?
>
> Did you install any codec packs, particularly from sources other than MS?
>
> Did you try at least an IE repair?
>
> Click Start>Run, type (or copy/paste) the following and click Enter, for
IE6x:
> RUNDLL32 SETUPWBV.DLL,IE6Maintenance
>
> Choose the Repair option, and follow the prompts.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o 9UFx9AjFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Thanks Mae & Glee,
> >
> > I took a read but I don't think it's leading down the correct path,
unless
> > I've misread something. All I'm trying to do is play back wav & mp3
files
> > stored on my hard drive using WMP9.
> >
> > What I can say is that if I uninstall WMP9 I end up rolling back to
WMP6.4
> > which plays wav files on my hard drive fine.
> >
> > When I install WMP9 (downloaded from Microsoft), the error message
"internal
> > application error" pops up at the end of the installation or any time I
try
> > to run WMP9 thereafter. Almost as if there's something wrong with the
WMP9
> > that I've downloaded. This gives me a thought that I should try looking
for
> > & installing an older version of WMP9, if I can find it on my computer.
Let
> > you know how I do. Please keep the ideas coming if you have any more.
> > appreciate the help.
> >
> > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> > > Start here:
> > > http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#internalapp
> > > --
> > > mae
> > >
> > > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:29:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to get one right once in a while. :-)
--

> That was it Glee,
>
> Repairing the IE6. I was thinking about it myself because I was noticing
> some strange things going on with the browser (couldn't access Windows
> Update or Hotmail), but I couldn't figure out how to repair it. They don't
> have a nice button to push in Add/Remove Programs anymore.
>
> Thanks very, very much, I was starting to get worried. Amazing that
> repairing IE6 fixed so many problems, including functioning of WMP9.
> Windows Explorer I can rationalize but WMP?
>
> Anyway you guys on the newsgroups have snatched my buns out of the fire once
> again. I don't know how you do it.
>
> Thanks again. All the best.

> > Did you "go into your CD-ROM driver properties (to get this, right-click
> on My
> > Computer, select Properties, select Device Manager, select the "CD-ROM"
> listing,
> > select the drive in question, select Properties) and uncheck "Use DMA" on
> the
> > Settings tab?
> >
> > Did you install any codec packs, particularly from sources other than MS?
> >
> > Did you try at least an IE repair?
> >
> > Click Start>Run, type (or copy/paste) the following and click Enter, for
> IE6x:
> > RUNDLL32 SETUPWBV.DLL,IE6Maintenance
> >
> > Choose the Repair option, and follow the prompts.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Warren" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:o 9UFx9AjFHA.1444@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > Thanks Mae & Glee,
> > >
> > > I took a read but I don't think it's leading down the correct path,
> unless
> > > I've misread something. All I'm trying to do is play back wav & mp3
> files
> > > stored on my hard drive using WMP9.
> > >
> > > What I can say is that if I uninstall WMP9 I end up rolling back to
> WMP6.4
> > > which plays wav files on my hard drive fine.
> > >
> > > When I install WMP9 (downloaded from Microsoft), the error message
> "internal
> > > application error" pops up at the end of the installation or any time I
> try
> > > to run WMP9 thereafter. Almost as if there's something wrong with the
> WMP9
> > > that I've downloaded. This gives me a thought that I should try looking
> for
> > > & installing an older version of WMP9, if I can find it on my computer.
> Let
> > > you know how I do. Please keep the ideas coming if you have any more.
> > > appreciate the help.
> > >
> > > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message

> "Internal

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:34:43 AM

I think it's more than once in a while. You've personnally saved my buns
alone on numerous occassions.

news:o 650LqBjFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

!