Transferring files

I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to my
home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting the
two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
Thanks in advance
--
John
8 answers Last reply

    This would be very easy to do if each of your PCs has a network
    connection. You could simply plug each PC into a hub, switch, or
    router, then transfer the files over the network you created. XP makes
    this pretty easy.

    I think you can use a "crossover" cable to create a 2 PC network by
    directly connecting the two, but I have never tried that approach.

    PMCK wrote:

    > I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to my
    > home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting the
    > two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
    > Thanks in advance

    If you don't ever expect to have a network and internet connection
    sharing, read here on how to connect two computers using a direct cable
    connection:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q305621

    HTH

    "PMCK" <PMCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to
    >my
    > home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting
    > the
    > two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP
    > home.
    > Thanks in advance
    > --
    > John

    I read everybody else's explanation and they're reasonable, but its more
    complicated than mine so i'm wondering if i even know what you're asking. My
    solution (if this solves what you're asking) is that you just go to your
    e-mail click attach files browse for those files and attach them onto your
    e-mail and e-mail it to yourself or whoever uses your desktop so you can just
    take it off your e-mail address. The second way is just put the files on a
    disk and then go to your desktop if they're both in same place and then just
    take the files off the disk. This seems a little to simple, so i'm wondering
    if i'm even answering the right question.

    "PMCK" wrote:

    > I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to my
    > home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting the
    > two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
    > Thanks in advance
    > --
    > John

    Hi,

    I just transferred 40G worth of files (10 years!) from my
    old computer to my new one. The easiest way is to use an
    external plug and play hard drive (or memory key, if you
    want to transfer fewer files).

    Do you know anyone who has an external plug and play hard
    drive/storage system? They're not very expensive and
    very useful. Basically, you plug it in the USB port of
    the computer a ... and your system will recognize it.
    Then you can directly copy your files to the hard drive
    and unplug it. Then you plug it into computer "b" and
    do a drag and drop to copy it there. Voila! Now that I
    have USB ports on the front of my computer, it's even
    easier!

    J Lo

    Hi! "PMCK"
    How big are your Folders(& Files) ?

    I would use Ethernet LAN.(Peer to Peer)
    ( I think that your PCs have NIC (or LAN) cards... Even your PC does not have, price of NIC cars(s) is very
    reasonable)
    If your pc does not have NIC card, recently the price is very minor, so you had better buy it/them.
    (even USB-NIC can work.)

    If you have two NIC cards(or PCMCIA NIC card) then , just you have to buy one CAT5(or CAT6) cross-over cable.
    then connect with this cable between two PCs(NICs), and configure WindowXP for Networking for Workgroup.
    that's it!
    Some resources:
    http://homenethelp.pricegrabber.com/search_gen.php//topcat_id=1/form_keyword=crossover+cable/manuf_sort=/form_page_id=/
    http://deepsurplus.site.yahoo.net/cat6cables.html
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp
    http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

    If you can expand your LAN near future, you have another option:
    (or Switch/Hub & Cat5x2 cable)

    http://www.homenethelp.com/network/ethernet.asp
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=35

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1594

    You can configure LAN(Workgroup) by WindowsXP very easily.
    I do not recommend that you use "Direct Cable Connection" ( I hate this Word/Jargon)
    {I would NOT use "Direct Cable Connection" anymore.}
    This is a kind of obsolete technology for home networking, this is . cheap but awfully slow!
    How to Configure a Direct Cable Connection with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814981
    Best Luck!

    "PMCK" <PMCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to my
    > home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting the
    > two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
    > Thanks in advance
    > --
    > John

    Hi! John,
    If you feel that LAN is complicated, you can consider "PMCK" s idea,
    I am using this method for some files into hotmail, now they are offering 250MB free space.

    John's idea would be smart, if files or folders' size is not so big with compaction programs.
    ( many folders and files can become only one file with compaction programs. i.e. winzip or else.)
    If you are using Broadband for internet, it works better.

    Good Luck!

    "Snake" <Snake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I read everybody else's explanation and they're reasonable, but its more
    > complicated than mine so i'm wondering if i even know what you're asking. My
    > solution (if this solves what you're asking) is that you just go to your
    > e-mail click attach files browse for those files and attach them onto your
    > e-mail and e-mail it to yourself or whoever uses your desktop so you can just
    > take it off your e-mail address. The second way is just put the files on a
    > disk and then go to your desktop if they're both in same place and then just
    > take the files off the disk. This seems a little to simple, so i'm wondering
    > if i'm even answering the right question.
    >
    > "PMCK" wrote:
    >
    > > I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to my
    > > home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting the
    > > two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
    > > Thanks in advance
    > > --
    > > John

    Hi:

    Just a bit of additions, using network in any form (or direct cable) will
    help you to share files and printers and is particularly good if you often
    need to synchronize or exchange files between computers and/or even share
    Internet connection.

    Sending emails are also good if you are doing it once a while, plus the file
    size is not too large (many ISPs have limitation on file size, plus it is
    slow and jam Internet traffic) and it is not executable files (some e-mail
    clients will block it).

    Using disk also is good and convenient and you can even choose a USB storage
    disc, such as 128MB or 256MB, which is small in size and is sufficient
    enough for most document files, and is very popular for exchanging files at
    a place without network environment.

    Personally, I think using USB disc is with the least technical involvement.
    In most cases, you don't even need a driver, and just plug in and the system
    will recognize it as an external storage device. Well, just consult you
    vendor to be sure.

    Hope this will help and good luck.

    --
    Business executive who believes technology but don't want to be messed
    around.

    "Snake" <Snake@discussions.microsoft.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:DD69C8C1-6B0A-4240-BF08-2917DEB8C96F@microsoft.com...
    >I read everybody else's explanation and they're reasonable, but its more
    > complicated than mine so i'm wondering if i even know what you're asking.
    > My
    > solution (if this solves what you're asking) is that you just go to your
    > e-mail click attach files browse for those files and attach them onto your
    > e-mail and e-mail it to yourself or whoever uses your desktop so you can
    > just
    > take it off your e-mail address. The second way is just put the files on
    > disk and then go to your desktop if they're both in same place and then
    > just
    > take the files off the disk. This seems a little to simple, so i'm
    > wondering
    > if i'm even answering the right question.
    >
    > "PMCK" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to
    >> my
    >> home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting
    >> the
    >> two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> --
    >> John

    This sounded like a great solution to my problem of moving larger files.

    I bought a 1 GB Lexor Jump Drive so I could transfer files from Dell M50 to
    Toshiba A75. Both run Windows XP. The Dell M50 would not recognize the Jump
    Drive when I inserted it into either of the two USBs. Even though the Contol
    Panel/System/Device Manager says both USBs are working properly. The Jump
    Drive works fine when I insert to the Toshiba and is recognized immediately.

    "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just transferred 40G worth of files (10 years!) from my
    > old computer to my new one. The easiest way is to use an
    > external plug and play hard drive (or memory key, if you
    > want to transfer fewer files).
    >
    > Do you know anyone who has an external plug and play hard
    > drive/storage system? They're not very expensive and
    > very useful. Basically, you plug it in the USB port of
    > the computer a ... and your system will recognize it.
    > Then you can directly copy your files to the hard drive
    > and unplug it. Then you plug it into computer "b" and
    > do a drag and drop to copy it there. Voila! Now that I
    > have USB ports on the front of my computer, it's even
    > easier!
    >
    > J Lo

Laptops Windows XP