Transferring files

a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 3:51:13 PM

I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to my
home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting the
two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
Thanks in advance
--
John

More about : transferring files

September 14, 2004 7:17:05 PM

This would be very easy to do if each of your PCs has a network
connection. You could simply plug each PC into a hub, switch, or
router, then transfer the files over the network you created. XP makes
this pretty easy.

I think you can use a "crossover" cable to create a 2 PC network by
directly connecting the two, but I have never tried that approach.

PMCK wrote:

> I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to my
> home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting the
> two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
> Thanks in advance
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 7:22:38 PM

If you don't ever expect to have a network and internet connection
sharing, read here on how to connect two computers using a direct cable
connection:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q305621

HTH

"PMCK" <PMCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to
>my
> home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting
> the
> two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP
> home.
> Thanks in advance
> --
> John
Related resources
September 14, 2004 8:15:08 PM

I read everybody else's explanation and they're reasonable, but its more
complicated than mine so i'm wondering if i even know what you're asking. My
solution (if this solves what you're asking) is that you just go to your
e-mail click attach files browse for those files and attach them onto your
e-mail and e-mail it to yourself or whoever uses your desktop so you can just
take it off your e-mail address. The second way is just put the files on a
disk and then go to your desktop if they're both in same place and then just
take the files off the disk. This seems a little to simple, so i'm wondering
if i'm even answering the right question.

"PMCK" wrote:

> I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to my
> home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting the
> two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
> Thanks in advance
> --
> John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 8:45:29 PM

Hi,

I just transferred 40G worth of files (10 years!) from my
old computer to my new one. The easiest way is to use an
external plug and play hard drive (or memory key, if you
want to transfer fewer files).

Do you know anyone who has an external plug and play hard
drive/storage system? They're not very expensive and
very useful. Basically, you plug it in the USB port of
the computer a ... and your system will recognize it.
Then you can directly copy your files to the hard drive
and unplug it. Then you plug it into computer "b" and
do a drag and drop to copy it there. Voila! Now that I
have USB ports on the front of my computer, it's even
easier!

J Lo

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 11:06:30 PM

Hi! "PMCK"
How big are your Folders(& Files) ?

I would use Ethernet LAN.(Peer to Peer)
( I think that your PCs have NIC (or LAN) cards... Even your PC does not have, price of NIC cars(s) is very
reasonable)
If your pc does not have NIC card, recently the price is very minor, so you had better buy it/them.
(even USB-NIC can work.)

If you have two NIC cards(or PCMCIA NIC card) then , just you have to buy one CAT5(or CAT6) cross-over cable.
then connect with this cable between two PCs(NICs), and configure WindowXP for Networking for Workgroup.
that's it!
Some resources:
http://homenethelp.pricegrabber.com/search_gen.php//top...
http://deepsurplus.site.yahoo.net/cat6cables.html
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-c...
http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html
http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

If you can expand your LAN near future, you have another option:
(or Switch/Hub & Cat5x2 cable)

http://www.homenethelp.com/network/ethernet.asp
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/catego...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/catego...

You can configure LAN(Workgroup) by WindowsXP very easily.
I do not recommend that you use "Direct Cable Connection" ( I hate this Word/Jargon)
{I would NOT use "Direct Cable Connection" anymore.}
This is a kind of obsolete technology for home networking, this is . cheap but awfully slow!
How to Configure a Direct Cable Connection with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814981
Best Luck!

"PMCK" <PMCK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to my
> home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting the
> two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
> Thanks in advance
> --
> John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2004 11:54:55 PM

Hi! John,
If you feel that LAN is complicated, you can consider "PMCK" s idea,
I am using this method for some files into hotmail, now they are offering 250MB free space.

John's idea would be smart, if files or folders' size is not so big with compaction programs.
( many folders and files can become only one file with compaction programs. i.e. winzip or else.)
If you are using Broadband for internet, it works better.

Good Luck!

"Snake" <Snake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D D69C8C1-6B0A-4240-BF08-2917DEB8C96F@microsoft.com...
> I read everybody else's explanation and they're reasonable, but its more
> complicated than mine so i'm wondering if i even know what you're asking. My
> solution (if this solves what you're asking) is that you just go to your
> e-mail click attach files browse for those files and attach them onto your
> e-mail and e-mail it to yourself or whoever uses your desktop so you can just
> take it off your e-mail address. The second way is just put the files on a
> disk and then go to your desktop if they're both in same place and then just
> take the files off the disk. This seems a little to simple, so i'm wondering
> if i'm even answering the right question.
>
> "PMCK" wrote:
>
> > I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to my
> > home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting the
> > two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
> > Thanks in advance
> > --
> > John
September 15, 2004 12:15:00 PM

Hi:

Just a bit of additions, using network in any form (or direct cable) will
help you to share files and printers and is particularly good if you often
need to synchronize or exchange files between computers and/or even share
Internet connection.

Sending emails are also good if you are doing it once a while, plus the file
size is not too large (many ISPs have limitation on file size, plus it is
slow and jam Internet traffic) and it is not executable files (some e-mail
clients will block it).

Using disk also is good and convenient and you can even choose a USB storage
disc, such as 128MB or 256MB, which is small in size and is sufficient
enough for most document files, and is very popular for exchanging files at
a place without network environment.

Personally, I think using USB disc is with the least technical involvement.
In most cases, you don't even need a driver, and just plug in and the system
will recognize it as an external storage device. Well, just consult you
vendor to be sure.

Hope this will help and good luck.

--
Business executive who believes technology but don't want to be messed
around.

"Snake" <Snake@discussions.microsoft.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:D D69C8C1-6B0A-4240-BF08-2917DEB8C96F@microsoft.com...
>I read everybody else's explanation and they're reasonable, but its more
> complicated than mine so i'm wondering if i even know what you're asking.
> My
> solution (if this solves what you're asking) is that you just go to your
> e-mail click attach files browse for those files and attach them onto your
> e-mail and e-mail it to yourself or whoever uses your desktop so you can
> just
> take it off your e-mail address. The second way is just put the files on
> disk and then go to your desktop if they're both in same place and then
> just
> take the files off the disk. This seems a little to simple, so i'm
> wondering
> if i'm even answering the right question.
>
> "PMCK" wrote:
>
>> I have a number of MS word files on a laptop that I want to transfer to
>> my
>> home desktop pc. Is their an easy way to do this by somehow connecting
>> the
>> two pcs. Both are Dell pcs. Both run XP, laptop XP office, Home XP home.
>> Thanks in advance
>> --
>> John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2005 6:51:05 PM

This sounded like a great solution to my problem of moving larger files.

I bought a 1 GB Lexor Jump Drive so I could transfer files from Dell M50 to
Toshiba A75. Both run Windows XP. The Dell M50 would not recognize the Jump
Drive when I inserted it into either of the two USBs. Even though the Contol
Panel/System/Device Manager says both USBs are working properly. The Jump
Drive works fine when I insert to the Toshiba and is recognized immediately.

!