Can't burn CD-RWs after deleted hard drive & installed ext..

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 18, 2005 9:07:01 PM

Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I also
had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x SOHR-52385
v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
(it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD burner.

Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new Memorex
CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.

When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
either full or write-protected.

Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them and
copy them to the C: drive.

I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs. Thank
you very much.
--
moregive
Anonymous

I think this might be caused by having two CDRWs in the machine. Remove the
ribbon cable from one drive at a time and see if the other drive begains
working right.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I
> also
> had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
> SOHR-52385
> v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD
> burner.
>
> Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new
> Memorex
> CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
>
> When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
> CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
> either full or write-protected.
>
> Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them
> and
> copy them to the C: drive.
>
> I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs.
> Thank
> you very much.
> --
> moregive
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:17:24 PM

I think this could be, as I just pulled out the CD-RW Quick Installation
Guide, which says, "To minimize possible software conflicts, it is
recommended that only one CD recording software be installed onto the PC at
one time," which is frustrating as I paid a computer repair shop to repair my
spyware problem and they did the new burner install without informing me of
this recommendation.

Where do I look to find the ribbon cable - do I have to open up the
computer, or is it an outside cable?
--
moregive

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> I think this might be caused by having two CDRWs in the machine. Remove the
> ribbon cable from one drive at a time and see if the other drive begains
> working right.
>
> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> > reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I
> > also
> > had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
> > SOHR-52385
> > v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> > installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> > (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD
> > burner.
> >
> > Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new
> > Memorex
> > CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
> >
> > When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
> > CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
> > either full or write-protected.
> >
> > Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them
> > and
> > copy them to the C: drive.
> >
> > I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs.
> > Thank
> > you very much.
> > --
> > moregive

July 19, 2005 12:15:09 AM

> Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I
also
> had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
SOHR-52385
> v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD
burner.

Have you installed the Nero burning software? I know that their software has
a Drag-and-drop CD-RW program(I have Nero Express).
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:47:31 AM

Please describe exactly *how* you are attempting to copy the files to the CD-RW
disc....gives us the procedure you are using, step by step.

Exactly what feature of what software are you using to attempt to write to the CD-RW
discs? Do you have packet-writing software installed...in the case of Nero, that
would be InCD software.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I also
> had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x SOHR-52385
> v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD burner.
>
> Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new Memorex
> CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
>
> When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
> CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
> either full or write-protected.
>
> Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them and
> copy them to the C: drive.
>
> I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs. Thank
> you very much.
> --
> moregive
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:47:32 AM

Step by step: On my C: drive folder I want to copy over to the CD-RW, I
right click and choose COPY. Then I go to MY COMPUTER & right click on the
drive where the burner is & choose PASTE. That's when the box pops up,
saying it can't do it and to check if disc is full or write-protected. I've
tried this with each different drive where each different burner is. I've
also tried right-clicking on my C: drive folder that I want to copy over to
the CD-RW and choosing SEND TO, then choosing the drive the burner's on; the
same pop-up box appears, saying the same thing.

Software: My Nero Express install disc (version 5.5) says it contains DOS
Driver, Nero Express and InCD, & Drive Manual. I would expect the computer
repair shop that installed it would have installed everything on the install
disc; however, I can't find InCD when I look in Program Files-Ahead-Nero,
Nero Toolkit, Nero Media.

HP software: Adaptec DirectCD, Adaptec Easy CD Creator.

--
moregive

"glee" wrote:

> Please describe exactly *how* you are attempting to copy the files to the CD-RW
> disc....gives us the procedure you are using, step by step.
>
> Exactly what feature of what software are you using to attempt to write to the CD-RW
> discs? Do you have packet-writing software installed...in the case of Nero, that
> would be InCD software.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> > reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I also
> > had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x SOHR-52385
> > v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> > installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> > (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD burner.
> >
> > Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new Memorex
> > CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
> >
> > When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
> > CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
> > either full or write-protected.
> >
> > Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them and
> > copy them to the C: drive.
> >
> > I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs. Thank
> > you very much.
> > --
> > moregive

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:50:49 AM

I disagree with Ron, to the extent that there should be no problem having more than
one burner installed in the computer. The problem *may* lie with the fact that each
burner may have been installed with *different* software, but even then that would
only be a problem if two different packet-writing applications were installed.
There should be no problem if two CD mastering apps are installed.

Please look at my other reply to you in this thread.
--

> I think this could be, as I just pulled out the CD-RW Quick Installation
> Guide, which says, "To minimize possible software conflicts, it is
> recommended that only one CD recording software be installed onto the PC at
> one time," which is frustrating as I paid a computer repair shop to repair my
> spyware problem and they did the new burner install without informing me of
> this recommendation.
>
> Where do I look to find the ribbon cable - do I have to open up the
> computer, or is it an outside cable?
> --
> moregive
>

> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>
> > I think this might be caused by having two CDRWs in the machine. Remove the
> > ribbon cable from one drive at a time and see if the other drive begains
> > working right.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >

> > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> > Knowledge Base Info:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> >

> > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > > Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> > > reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I
> > > also
> > > had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
> > > SOHR-52385
> > > v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> > > installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> > > (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD
> > > burner.
> > >
> > > Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new
> > > Memorex
> > > CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
> > >
> > > When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
> > > CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
> > > either full or write-protected.
> > >
> > > Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them
> > > and
> > > copy them to the C: drive.
> > >
> > > I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs.
> > > Thank
> > > you very much.
> > > --
> > > moregive

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:50:50 AM

I don't know what the difference is between packet-writing applications & CD
mastering apps.
--
moregive

"glee" wrote:

> I disagree with Ron, to the extent that there should be no problem having more than
> one burner installed in the computer. The problem *may* lie with the fact that each
> burner may have been installed with *different* software, but even then that would
> only be a problem if two different packet-writing applications were installed.
> There should be no problem if two CD mastering apps are installed.
>
> Please look at my other reply to you in this thread.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > I think this could be, as I just pulled out the CD-RW Quick Installation
> > Guide, which says, "To minimize possible software conflicts, it is
> > recommended that only one CD recording software be installed onto the PC at
> > one time," which is frustrating as I paid a computer repair shop to repair my
> > spyware problem and they did the new burner install without informing me of
> > this recommendation.
> >
> > Where do I look to find the ribbon cable - do I have to open up the
> > computer, or is it an outside cable?
> > --
> > moregive
> >

> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> > > I think this might be caused by having two CDRWs in the machine. Remove the
> > > ribbon cable from one drive at a time and see if the other drive begains
> > > working right.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >

> > > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> > > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> > > Knowledge Base Info:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> > >

> > > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:53:12 AM

Should be and what is are often two different things Glen. I had a problem
exactly like the poster described and it was two CDRWs with the same
software installed--just would not work. Pulled one out and replaced it
with a CDRom and all was well.

--

>I disagree with Ron, to the extent that there should be no problem having
>more than
> one burner installed in the computer. The problem *may* lie with the fact
> that each
> burner may have been installed with *different* software, but even then
> that would
> only be a problem if two different packet-writing applications were
> installed.
> There should be no problem if two CD mastering apps are installed.
>
> Please look at my other reply to you in this thread.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
>> I think this could be, as I just pulled out the CD-RW Quick Installation
>> Guide, which says, "To minimize possible software conflicts, it is
>> recommended that only one CD recording software be installed onto the PC
>> at
>> one time," which is frustrating as I paid a computer repair shop to
>> repair my
>> spyware problem and they did the new burner install without informing me
>> of
>> this recommendation.
>>
>> Where do I look to find the ribbon cable - do I have to open up the
>> computer, or is it an outside cable?
>> --
>> moregive
>>

>> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>>
>> > I think this might be caused by having two CDRWs in the machine.
>> > Remove the
>> > ribbon cable from one drive at a time and see if the other drive
>> > begains
>> > working right.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards
>> >

>> > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
>> > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>> > Knowledge Base Info:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>> >

>> > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:57:05 AM

With the machine powered down, open the case and look at the drives. Be
sure to ground yourself to the case before touching anything. There is a
ribbon cable for transferring data and a power cable on each drive. The
drives will probably be connected on the same ribbon cable so I would unplug
the drive that is the slave.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
>I think this could be, as I just pulled out the CD-RW Quick Installation
> Guide, which says, "To minimize possible software conflicts, it is
> recommended that only one CD recording software be installed onto the PC
> at
> one time," which is frustrating as I paid a computer repair shop to repair
> my
> spyware problem and they did the new burner install without informing me
> of
> this recommendation.
>
> Where do I look to find the ribbon cable - do I have to open up the
> computer, or is it an outside cable?
> --
> moregive
>

> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>
>> I think this might be caused by having two CDRWs in the machine. Remove
>> the
>> ribbon cable from one drive at a time and see if the other drive begains
>> working right.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>

>> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
>> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
>> Knowledge Base Info:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>>

>> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
>> > Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
>> > reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up,
>> > also
>> > had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
>> > SOHR-52385
>> > v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
>> > installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100
>> > series
>> > (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD
>> > burner.
>> >
>> > Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new
>> > Memorex
>> > CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
>> >
>> > When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
>> > CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc
>> > is
>> > either full or write-protected.
>> >
>> > Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them
>> > and
>> > copy them to the C: drive.
>> >
>> > I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs.
>> > Thank
>> > you very much.
>> > --
>> > moregive

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:39:07 AM

My husband disconnected the ribbon to the newer CD burner, plus uninstalled
all the Nero software that went with it. Then he uninstalled all the HP
burner software & reinstalled it. Then the very same thing happened when we
tried to write to the HP burner: Pop-up box says can't do it & to check if
disc is full or write-protected.

We just don't get it because we've had the HP burner since 1998 (bought it
brand-new) and it never ever failed or messed up, not once.

FYI: When we took our computer in November 2004 to the repair shop after
spyware infiltration (we bought our computer brand new in 1998 from same
shop; they built it), I didn't need to burn any info to the CD until this
week, as I was out of state for my mom's terminal illness since we brought
the computer home until very recently. So the 90-day warranty for their
burner install in November is long gone.

I hope you guys can help figure this one out. My documents I need to copy
onto CD-RW are too big for floppy, & a culmination of 8 years' work. I
simply don't know what to do.

You guys are great. Thanx for all your responses. I'm clinging to you in
the middle of the ocean. I'll try anything you say.
--
moregive

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> With the machine powered down, open the case and look at the drives. Be
> sure to ground yourself to the case before touching anything. There is a
> ribbon cable for transferring data and a power cable on each drive. The
> drives will probably be connected on the same ribbon cable so I would unplug
> the drive that is the slave.
>
> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> >I think this could be, as I just pulled out the CD-RW Quick Installation
> > Guide, which says, "To minimize possible software conflicts, it is
> > recommended that only one CD recording software be installed onto the PC
> > at
> > one time," which is frustrating as I paid a computer repair shop to repair
> > my
> > spyware problem and they did the new burner install without informing me
> > of
> > this recommendation.
> >
> > Where do I look to find the ribbon cable - do I have to open up the
> > computer, or is it an outside cable?
> > --
> > moregive
> >

> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> >> I think this might be caused by having two CDRWs in the machine. Remove
> >> the
> >> ribbon cable from one drive at a time and see if the other drive begains
> >> working right.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >>

> >> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> >> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> >> Knowledge Base Info:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> >>

> >> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 3:10:39 AM

"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
> Should be and what is are often two different things Glen.

Well, that's certainly true, I *should* be rich.... ;-)

> I had a problem
> exactly like the poster described and it was two CDRWs with the same
> software installed--just would not work. Pulled one out and replaced it
> with a CDRom and all was well.

Understood. The problem you describe sounds like two particular drives that just
did not get along. I have seen that too, but IIRC only if they are on the same
ribbon/controller.
Looking at the latest reply from the OP here, though, I think the problem may be
something other than that. Of course, that's just IMVHO.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> >I disagree with Ron, to the extent that there should be no problem having
> >more than
> > one burner installed in the computer. The problem *may* lie with the fact
> > that each
> > burner may have been installed with *different* software, but even then
> > that would
> > only be a problem if two different packet-writing applications were
> > installed.
> > There should be no problem if two CD mastering apps are installed.
> >
> > Please look at my other reply to you in this thread.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> >> I think this could be, as I just pulled out the CD-RW Quick Installation
> >> Guide, which says, "To minimize possible software conflicts, it is
> >> recommended that only one CD recording software be installed onto the PC
> >> at
> >> one time," which is frustrating as I paid a computer repair shop to
> >> repair my
> >> spyware problem and they did the new burner install without informing me
> >> of
> >> this recommendation.
> >>
> >> Where do I look to find the ribbon cable - do I have to open up the
> >> computer, or is it an outside cable?
> >> --
> >> moregive

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:12:08 AM

Dropping directly onto one of the CD-RW drives, or using the SendTo menu, uses the
packet-writing software, which in your case is DirectCD....you don't say what
version you have installed, BTW. You do *not* want two different packet-writing
apps installed on the same system, which is why the shop did not install InCD, the
packet-writer for Nero.

Can you burn to a CD with either drive, using the EasyCD Creator software or Nero
Express? Those are the CD mastering programs, which should burn to either a CD-R or
CD-RW disc.

In the Nero ToolKit, click the Nero Info Tool, and see if it recognises both drives
and the software.
--

> Step by step: On my C: drive folder I want to copy over to the CD-RW, I
> right click and choose COPY. Then I go to MY COMPUTER & right click on the
> drive where the burner is & choose PASTE. That's when the box pops up,
> saying it can't do it and to check if disc is full or write-protected. I've
> tried this with each different drive where each different burner is. I've
> also tried right-clicking on my C: drive folder that I want to copy over to
> the CD-RW and choosing SEND TO, then choosing the drive the burner's on; the
> same pop-up box appears, saying the same thing.
>
> Software: My Nero Express install disc (version 5.5) says it contains DOS
> Driver, Nero Express and InCD, & Drive Manual. I would expect the computer
> repair shop that installed it would have installed everything on the install
> disc; however, I can't find InCD when I look in Program Files-Ahead-Nero,
> Nero Toolkit, Nero Media.
>
> HP software: Adaptec DirectCD, Adaptec Easy CD Creator.
>

> --
> moregive
>

> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Please describe exactly *how* you are attempting to copy the files to the CD-RW
> > disc....gives us the procedure you are using, step by step.
> >
> > Exactly what feature of what software are you using to attempt to write to the
CD-RW
> > discs? Do you have packet-writing software installed...in the case of Nero,
that
> > would be InCD software.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > > Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> > > reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I also
> > > had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x SOHR-52385
> > > v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> > > installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> > > (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD burner.
> > >
> > > Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new Memorex
> > > CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
> > >
> > > When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
> > > CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
> > > either full or write-protected.
> > >
> > > Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them and
> > > copy them to the C: drive.
> > >
> > > I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs. Thank
> > > you very much.
> > > --
> > > moregive

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:12:09 AM

HP software version is 1.0.

About an hour ago, my husband disconnected the ribbon cable to the newer
burner & uninstalled all the Nero software. He then uninstalled all the HP
burner software & reinstalled it.

We tried writing to the brand-new Memorex CD-RW via copy/paste, but first
formatted it via right-clicking on D: Properties-Format, then it showed disc
full immediately afterward. We then stuck in a brand-new Sony CD-RW & tried
to write to it via EasyCD Creator, but it doesn't let you get to the next
step without first formatting it, which we decided not to do as didn't want
to waste another CD; the Memorex web site says the newer CD's don't need
formatting. After all the above uninstall/install, the HP burner still lets
me read my older CD-RWs.

FYI: When my husband went in to remove/uninstall Nero software, only there
in that list did we see Nero InCD listed, but he uninstalled that, too,
anyway, after which we still couldn't write to the HP burner.

My HP burner has never ever failed, not even once, since 1998, & I've used
it tons. I was hoping with the Nero software all gone & its burner
disconnected, problem would be solved.

My files I need to copy are a culmination of 8 years' work & too big for a
floppy. I hope you guys can continue to help me as I'm at a total loss. I
don't trust my computer (ever since Norton Antivirus install in November
2004, it constantly comes up with "illegal error" & is slow as molasses & we
have to restart constantly, but I was ok with that as long as I could copy to
CD every time I worked in my C: files). I'm really afraid to lose my C:
drive files and need to copy them desperately. Thanx a mil.
--
moregive

"glee" wrote:

> Dropping directly onto one of the CD-RW drives, or using the SendTo menu, uses the
> packet-writing software, which in your case is DirectCD....you don't say what
> version you have installed, BTW. You do *not* want two different packet-writing
> apps installed on the same system, which is why the shop did not install InCD, the
> packet-writer for Nero.
>
> Can you burn to a CD with either drive, using the EasyCD Creator software or Nero
> Express? Those are the CD mastering programs, which should burn to either a CD-R or
> CD-RW disc.
>
> In the Nero ToolKit, click the Nero Info Tool, and see if it recognises both drives
> and the software.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Step by step: On my C: drive folder I want to copy over to the CD-RW, I
> > right click and choose COPY. Then I go to MY COMPUTER & right click on the
> > drive where the burner is & choose PASTE. That's when the box pops up,
> > saying it can't do it and to check if disc is full or write-protected. I've
> > tried this with each different drive where each different burner is. I've
> > also tried right-clicking on my C: drive folder that I want to copy over to
> > the CD-RW and choosing SEND TO, then choosing the drive the burner's on; the
> > same pop-up box appears, saying the same thing.
> >
> > Software: My Nero Express install disc (version 5.5) says it contains DOS
> > Driver, Nero Express and InCD, & Drive Manual. I would expect the computer
> > repair shop that installed it would have installed everything on the install
> > disc; however, I can't find InCD when I look in Program Files-Ahead-Nero,
> > Nero Toolkit, Nero Media.
> >
> > HP software: Adaptec DirectCD, Adaptec Easy CD Creator.
> >

> > --
> > moregive
> >

> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > Please describe exactly *how* you are attempting to copy the files to the CD-RW
> > > disc....gives us the procedure you are using, step by step.
> > >
> > > Exactly what feature of what software are you using to attempt to write to the
> CD-RW
> > > discs? Do you have packet-writing software installed...in the case of Nero,
> that
> > > would be InCD software.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:23:16 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q237948
Troubleshoot CD-R_W

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=218617
Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

I guess, a first try would be...

(1) Boot to Safe Mode. (Hold F5 as you boot, or hold CTRL for the
Startup Menu, & select Safe Mode from that.)
(2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
(3) Open the CD-ROM branch, by clicking it's plus sign.
(4) Highlight each drive in that branch, & click "Remove".
(Safe Mode may reveal the presence of a "ghost".)
(5) Close up, & boot to Normal Mode.

Hopefully Windows will find the correct drivers, & all will be well.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
> [...]
write-protected. I've
| > > tried this with each different drive where each different burner
is. I've
| > > also tried right-clicking on my C: drive folder that I want to
copy over to
| > > the CD-RW and choosing SEND TO, then choosing the drive the
burner's on; the
| > > same pop-up box appears, saying the same thing.
| > >
| > > Software: My Nero Express install disc (version 5.5) says it
contains DOS
| > > Driver, Nero Express and InCD, & Drive Manual. I would expect the
computer
| > > repair shop that installed it would have installed everything on
the install
| > > disc; however, I can't find InCD when I look in Program
Files-Ahead-Nero,
| > > Nero Toolkit, Nero Media.
| > >
| > > HP software: Adaptec DirectCD, Adaptec Easy CD Creator.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:34:40 AM

In some cases, using two different burning softwares is very troublesome, if
not making the other inop. This is the type PCR mentions as mastering
software.

You appear to be using packet writing software to write to CDRW. Again,
using only one is the best route.

Installing two or more of either can gum up the registry with conflicting
directions. And is very difficult to find and fix if that is the case.

Archiving your personal data to other media is smart. Archiving using
packet writing software is not. For long term storage, use one of the
mastering softwares to CDR, and save in ISO format for stuff that doesn't
change.

Using both burners for packet writing may be difficult at best. Choose to
use one, and avoid the other for that purpose. Use the other for
playing/reading ISO/JOLIET formatted CDs (most commercially written/pressed
CDs are in this format), and using the mastering software with.

You may have to glean and clean the registry in light of what's installed.
Go with the Nero products. Adaptec sold its stuff to Roxio a long time ago.
The last two versions of INCD by Nero don't seem to have the prior problems.
Free use if you have Nero already installed. Nero version 5 and 6 updates
are out there too. Some of these updates allow use of the newest burners
including DVD.
"moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I
also
> had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
SOHR-52385
> v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD
burner.

> Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new
Memorex
> CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
>
> When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
> CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
> either full or write-protected.
>
> Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them
and
> copy them to the C: drive.
>
> I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs.
Thank
> you very much.
> --
> moregive
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 12:58:40 PM

"moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

> My files I need to copy are a culmination of 8 years' work & too big for a
> floppy. I hope you guys can continue to help me as I'm at a total loss.
> don't trust my computer (ever since Norton Antivirus install in November
> 2004, it constantly comes up with "illegal error" & is slow as molasses &
we
> have to restart constantly, but I was ok with that as long as I could copy
> CD every time I worked in my C: files). I'm really afraid to lose my C:
> drive files and need to copy them desperately. Thanx a mil.

So you have three tasks:
1. Transferring to CD 8 years' worth of data files.
2. Backing up C: in case of hard drive failure.
3. Reconfiguration of the PC:
3a. Operating system, with Norton AV atop Win98.
3b. Hardware, with one or two CD RW drives.

It seems to me this is also the appropriate order of
priority (although you may disagree.)
If no CD RW drive now functions, #1 may be done
fastest by installing a new hard drive and copying
data files to it. This also implements #2.

Norton by 2004 had lost much of the reputation it
enjoyed in the 1990s i.e. caused many users more
trouble than it was worth. I would not use it myself
unless there were a specific reason to do so.

Since your HP RW drive is 8 years old, you should
test it alone to be sure it is still working OK.

Nero software appears to conflict fundamentally
with Adaptec and other software packages used
by HP in the 1990s.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Right now, your first priority is burning all your important data to a disc. Do NOT
use CD-RW (re-writable) discs for that purpose, and do not use the packet-writing
apps. Go out and buy some CD-R discs (NOT CD-RW)....they are much cheaper than
CD-RW discs, and less troublesome.
Then, start the Easy CD Creator software, and choose to burn a data disc, select the
data to burn, and try burning to a CD-R disc....use multi-session if you plan on
adding more to the same disc or modifying it later....otherwise, do a single session
and close the disc when done.
--
> [...]

> > > drive where the burner is & choose PASTE. That's when the box pops up,
> > > saying it can't do it and to check if disc is full or write-protected. I've
> > > tried this with each different drive where each different burner is. I've
> > > also tried right-clicking on my C: drive folder that I want to copy over to
> > > the CD-RW and choosing SEND TO, then choosing the drive the burner's on; the
> > > same pop-up box appears, saying the same thing.
> > >
> > > Software: My Nero Express install disc (version 5.5) says it contains DOS
> > > Driver, Nero Express and InCD, & Drive Manual. I would expect the computer
> > > repair shop that installed it would have installed everything on the install
> > > disc; however, I can't find InCD when I look in Program Files-Ahead-Nero,
> > > Nero Toolkit, Nero Media.
> > >
> > > HP software: Adaptec DirectCD, Adaptec Easy CD Creator.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:49:01 PM

Dear Ron & everyone who responded to my plea for help,

Ron, you were right! It was all about having 2 CD burners + their software
installed at the same time. This morning, I decided to give it one more try
& risk losing another CD-RW: I formatted the brand-new Sony 1x2x4x 700mg
80min CD-RW via HP Create a CD (first, I tried right-clicking on my D: drive
where the HP burner is, but it wouldn't do anything when I clicked on
FORMAT). After formatting it, I could easily copy my C: files to the Sony
CD-RW & open and read them. Problem solved!

I never would have thought the problem was having 2 CD burners at the same
time since I trusted the repair shop people's knowledge and they never
advised it's not smart to install a 2nd burner (I never even gave it a second
thought!).

I can't thank you enough! (I was just about to have a heart attack over this
- all I could think last night was to e-mail my C: stuff as an attachment to
someone with a burner so they could burn it for me, although I don't know
anyone with a burner!)

Everyone else, thanx a mil, also, for all your ideas. You are a wealth of
info and a treasure, and it's so comforting & nice to know there are people
like you out there who will just sit at your computer for free & help THE
LOST, like me!

With great appreciation,
moregive
--
moregive

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> I think this might be caused by having two CDRWs in the machine. Remove the
> ribbon cable from one drive at a time and see if the other drive begains
> working right.
>
> --
> Regards
>

> Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>

> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> > reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I
> > also
> > had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
> > SOHR-52385
> > v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> > installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> > (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD
> > burner.
> >
> > Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new
> > Memorex
> > CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
> >
> > When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
> > CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
> > either full or write-protected.
> >
> > Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them
> > and
> > copy them to the C: drive.
> >
> > I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs.
> > Thank
> > you very much.
> > --
> > moregive

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:52:10 PM

Dear Glee,

Thank you so much for your responses. Please see my 07/19/05 response to
Ron Badour.

Best regards,
moregive
--
moregive

"glee" wrote:

> I disagree with Ron, to the extent that there should be no problem having more than
> one burner installed in the computer. The problem *may* lie with the fact that each
> burner may have been installed with *different* software, but even then that would
> only be a problem if two different packet-writing applications were installed.
> There should be no problem if two CD mastering apps are installed.
>
> Please look at my other reply to you in this thread.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > I think this could be, as I just pulled out the CD-RW Quick Installation
> > Guide, which says, "To minimize possible software conflicts, it is
> > recommended that only one CD recording software be installed onto the PC at
> > one time," which is frustrating as I paid a computer repair shop to repair my
> > spyware problem and they did the new burner install without informing me of
> > this recommendation.
> >
> > Where do I look to find the ribbon cable - do I have to open up the
> > computer, or is it an outside cable?
> > --
> > moregive
> >

> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> > > I think this might be caused by having two CDRWs in the machine. Remove the
> > > ribbon cable from one drive at a time and see if the other drive begains
> > > working right.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >

> > > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> > > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> > > Knowledge Base Info:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> > >

> > > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:58:02 PM

Dear PCR,

Thank you so kindly for your response. Please see my 07/19/05 response to
Ron Badour.

Best regards,
moregive
--
moregive

"PCR" wrote:

> [...]
> | --
> | moregive
> |

> | "glee" wrote:
> |
> | > Dropping directly onto one of the CD-RW drives, or using the SendTo
> menu, uses the
> | > packet-writing software, which in your case is DirectCD....you don't
> say what
> | > version you have installed, BTW. You do *not* want two different
> packet-writing
> | > apps installed on the same system, which is why the shop did not
> install InCD, the
> | > packet-writer for Nero.
> | >
> | > Can you burn to a CD with either drive, using the EasyCD Creator
> software or Nero
> | > Express? Those are the CD mastering programs, which should burn to
> either a CD-R or
> | > CD-RW disc.
> | >
> | > In the Nero ToolKit, click the Nero Info Tool, and see if it

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:07:06 PM

Dear Don,

Thank you so much for your response. Please see my 07/19/05 response to Ron
Badour. It's good to learn of Norton AV's troublesome standing & Nero's
conflicts with HP software.

Kind regards,
moregive
--
moregive

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
>
> > My files I need to copy are a culmination of 8 years' work & too big for a
> > floppy. I hope you guys can continue to help me as I'm at a total loss.
> > don't trust my computer (ever since Norton Antivirus install in November
> > 2004, it constantly comes up with "illegal error" & is slow as molasses &
> we
> > have to restart constantly, but I was ok with that as long as I could copy
> > CD every time I worked in my C: files). I'm really afraid to lose my C:
> > drive files and need to copy them desperately. Thanx a mil.
>
> So you have three tasks:
> 1. Transferring to CD 8 years' worth of data files.
> 2. Backing up C: in case of hard drive failure.
> 3. Reconfiguration of the PC:
> 3a. Operating system, with Norton AV atop Win98.
> 3b. Hardware, with one or two CD RW drives.
>
> It seems to me this is also the appropriate order of
> priority (although you may disagree.)
> If no CD RW drive now functions, #1 may be done
> fastest by installing a new hard drive and copying
> data files to it. This also implements #2.
>
> Norton by 2004 had lost much of the reputation it
> enjoyed in the 1990s i.e. caused many users more
> trouble than it was worth. I would not use it myself
> unless there were a specific reason to do so.
>
> Since your HP RW drive is 8 years old, you should
> test it alone to be sure it is still working OK.
>
> Nero software appears to conflict fundamentally
> with Adaptec and other software packages used
> by HP in the 1990s.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:10:03 PM

Dear Lil' Dave,

"Lil' Dave" wrote:

> In some cases, using two different burning softwares is very troublesome, if
> not making the other inop. This is the type PCR mentions as mastering
> software.
>
> You appear to be using packet writing software to write to CDRW. Again,
> using only one is the best route.
>
> Installing two or more of either can gum up the registry with conflicting
> directions. And is very difficult to find and fix if that is the case.
>
> Archiving your personal data to other media is smart. Archiving using
> packet writing software is not. For long term storage, use one of the
> mastering softwares to CDR, and save in ISO format for stuff that doesn't
> change.
>
> Using both burners for packet writing may be difficult at best. Choose to
> use one, and avoid the other for that purpose. Use the other for
> playing/reading ISO/JOLIET formatted CDs (most commercially written/pressed
> CDs are in this format), and using the mastering software with.
>
> You may have to glean and clean the registry in light of what's installed.
> Go with the Nero products. Adaptec sold its stuff to Roxio a long time ago.
> The last two versions of INCD by Nero don't seem to have the prior problems.
> Free use if you have Nero already installed. Nero version 5 and 6 updates
> are out there too. Some of these updates allow use of the newest burners
> including DVD.
> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> > reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I
> also
> > had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
> SOHR-52385
> > v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> > installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> > (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD
> burner.
> >
> > Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new
> Memorex
> > CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
> >
> > When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
> > CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
> > either full or write-protected.
> >
> > Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them
> and
> > copy them to the C: drive.
> >
> > I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs.
> Thank
> > you very much.
> > --
> > moregive

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 5:12:02 PM

Dear jkb,

Thank you kindly for your response. Please see my 07/19/05 response to Ron
Badour.

Kind regards,
Moregive
--
moregive

"jkb" wrote:

> > Due to spyware infiltration, I had to delete my entire hard drive and
> > reinstall everything, including Windows 98. After this, as a back-up, I
> also
> > had an additional CD-RW burner installed (Lite-On CD-RW 52x32x52x
> SOHR-52385
> > v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> > installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> > (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD
> burner.
>
> Have you installed the Nero burning software? I know that their software has
> a Drag-and-drop CD-RW program(I have Nero Express).

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:12:23 PM

I'm glad you got it working, but I am still not convinced that the problem was
simply having two burners installed. Since I will not be on you computer any time
soon to test, and you never tried burning with the mastering software to a CD-R (not
RW), I will never know, though. ;-)

I suggest you take the burner and the computer back to the shop that installed it,
and ask them to check the issue. Also, ask them why they never checked the writers
for proper operation and compatibility after installing them. Then you might also
ask them for your money back! :-)
--

> [...]
> > > SOHR-52385
> > > v4S03, uses Nero CD software). My original CD-RW burner that is still
> > > installed and which I'd still like to use is HP CD-Writer Plus 8100 series
> > > (it has never malfunctioned before). I'd also like to use the new CD
> > > burner.
> > >
> > > Neither CD-RW burner lets me copy to CD-RWs. I have tried brand-new
> > > Memorex
> > > CD-RWs 4x 700mb 80min AND brand-new Sony CD-RWs 1x2x4x 700mb 80min.
> > >
> > > When I try to copy a file to either burner using one of these brand-new
> > > CD-RWs, a box pops up, saying it can't do it and to check if the disc is
> > > either full or write-protected.
> > >
> > > Both CD drives let me put in my old CD-RWs and I can see what's on them
> > > and
> > > copy them to the C: drive.
> > >
> > > I'm clueless as to how to save all my new hard work to my new CD-RWs.

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:12:24 PM

Dear Glee,

Yes, thank you, I will have to confront the shop. Thanx to you, though, I
learned about "mastering" vs. "packet-writing" software and never to have 2
packet-writers installed at the same time.

One question: What does it mean that, for Nero, when I went to PROGRAM
FILES-AHEAD-NERO & NERO MEDIA, I could not locate InCD, yet when my husband
went to remove/uninstall all Nero programs, InCD showed up in there? Was
InCD actually installed or not?
--
moregive

"glee" wrote:

> I'm glad you got it working, but I am still not convinced that the problem was
> simply having two burners installed. Since I will not be on you computer any time
> soon to test, and you never tried burning with the mastering software to a CD-R (not
> RW), I will never know, though. ;-)
>
> I suggest you take the burner and the computer back to the shop that installed it,
> and ask them to check the issue. Also, ask them why they never checked the writers
> for proper operation and compatibility after installing them. Then you might also
> ask them for your money back! :-)
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Dear Ron & everyone who responded to my plea for help,
> >
> > Ron, you were right! It was all about having 2 CD burners + their software
> > installed at the same time. This morning, I decided to give it one more try
> > & risk losing another CD-RW: I formatted the brand-new Sony 1x2x4x 700mg
> > 80min CD-RW via HP Create a CD (first, I tried right-clicking on my D: drive
> > where the HP burner is, but it wouldn't do anything when I clicked on
> > FORMAT). After formatting it, I could easily copy my C: files to the Sony
> > CD-RW & open and read them. Problem solved!
> >
> > I never would have thought the problem was having 2 CD burners at the same
> > time since I trusted the repair shop people's knowledge and they never
> > advised it's not smart to install a 2nd burner (I never even gave it a second
> > thought!).
> >
> > I can't thank you enough! (I was just about to have a heart attack over this
> > - all I could think last night was to e-mail my C: stuff as an attachment to
> > someone with a burner so they could burn it for me, although I don't know
> > anyone with a burner!)
> >
> > Everyone else, thanx a mil, also, for all your ideas. You are a wealth of
> > info and a treasure, and it's so comforting & nice to know there are people
> > like you out there who will just sit at your computer for free & help THE
> > LOST, like me!
> >
> > With great appreciation,
> > moregive
> > --
> > moregive
> >

> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> > > I think this might be caused by having two CDRWs in the machine. Remove the
> > > ribbon cable from one drive at a time and see if the other drive begains
> > > working right.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >

> > > Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
> > > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> > > Knowledge Base Info:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> > >

> > > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:49:49 PM

InCD does not appear in the Start menu anywhere...it is setup to load when Windows
starts IIRC, but it should be in the actual 'Program Files> Ahead' folder tree.
With the version of Nero I use (5.5.x), the separate install of InCD added an InCD
folder to the Ahead folder tree....I dunno what Nero 6.x does with InCD. In 5.5,
InCD is a separate installation, and I thought that was also the case in v.6.x

Exactly how did InCD show up in the uninstall? It may have been listed as a module,
but not an "installed" module. Your copy of Nero may have come with the drive, and
may do a custom install, but if you had InCD, it would have been somewhere in the
folder tree before you uninstalled.
--

> [...]
> > > FORMAT). After formatting it, I could easily copy my C: files to the Sony
> > > CD-RW & open and read them. Problem solved!
> > >
> > > I never would have thought the problem was having 2 CD burners at the same
> > > time since I trusted the repair shop people's knowledge and they never
> > > advised it's not smart to install a 2nd burner (I never even gave it a second
> > > thought!).
> > >
> > > I can't thank you enough! (I was just about to have a heart attack over this
> > > - all I could think last night was to e-mail my C: stuff as an attachment to
> > > someone with a burner so they could burn it for me, although I don't know
> > > anyone with a burner!)
> > >
> > > Everyone else, thanx a mil, also, for all your ideas. You are a wealth of
> > > info and a treasure, and it's so comforting & nice to know there are people
> > > like you out there who will just sit at your computer for free & help THE

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:49:50 PM

Dear Glee,

Thanx for the info.

FYI: Per my original problem, I forgot to include the fact that, in
addition to not being able to write to brand-new Memorex & Sony CD-RW's, I
also couldn't write to my older CD-RW's, as that pop-up box kept saying it
couldn't & to check if disc was full or write-protected.

So I always thought my old discs were completely full, but it also wouldn't
let me delete stuff off the old discs so I could write new stuff to them,
which I thought was odd, but figured they were so jam-packed full that I was
barred from doing anything at all with them.

Now that we've disconnected the newer burner & uninstalled Nero, I can
delete stuff off old CD-RWs & write to them, too, and that pop-up box never
appears. (Thought this info might help re your wondering if the true problem
was using mastering vs. packet-writing software.)
--
moregive

"glee" wrote:

> InCD does not appear in the Start menu anywhere...it is setup to load when Windows
> starts IIRC, but it should be in the actual 'Program Files> Ahead' folder tree.
> With the version of Nero I use (5.5.x), the separate install of InCD added an InCD
> folder to the Ahead folder tree....I dunno what Nero 6.x does with InCD. In 5.5,
> InCD is a separate installation, and I thought that was also the case in v.6.x
>
> Exactly how did InCD show up in the uninstall? It may have been listed as a module,
> but not an "installed" module. Your copy of Nero may have come with the drive, and
> may do a custom install, but if you had InCD, it would have been somewhere in the
> folder tree before you uninstalled.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Dear Glee,
> >
> > Yes, thank you, I will have to confront the shop. Thanx to you, though, I
> > learned about "mastering" vs. "packet-writing" software and never to have 2
> > packet-writers installed at the same time.
> >
> > One question: What does it mean that, for Nero, when I went to PROGRAM
> > FILES-AHEAD-NERO & NERO MEDIA, I could not locate InCD, yet when my husband
> > went to remove/uninstall all Nero programs, InCD showed up in there? Was
> > InCD actually installed or not?
> > --
> > moregive
> >

> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm glad you got it working, but I am still not convinced that the problem was
> > > simply having two burners installed. Since I will not be on you computer any
> time
> > > soon to test, and you never tried burning with the mastering software to a CD-R
> (not
> > > RW), I will never know, though. ;-)
> > >
> > > I suggest you take the burner and the computer back to the shop that installed
> it,
> > > and ask them to check the issue. Also, ask them why they never checked the
> writers
> > > for proper operation and compatibility after installing them. Then you might
> also
> > > ask them for your money back! :-)
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 10:14:06 PM

You are welcome. I saw. Removing one caused the other to begin to work,
& you discovered unused space in older CDs. Gooood. Poor Glee, though,
who still wants both to work.

--
| Dear PCR,
|
| Thank you so kindly for your response. Please see my 07/19/05
response to
| Ron Badour.
|
| Best regards,
| moregive
| --
| moregive
|

| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q237948
| > Troubleshoot CD-R_W
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=218617
| > Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
| >
| > I guess, a first try would be...
| >
| > (1) Boot to Safe Mode. (Hold F5 as you boot, or hold CTRL for the
| > Startup Menu, & select Safe Mode from that.)
| > (2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
| > (3) Open the CD-ROM branch, by clicking it's plus sign.
| > (4) Highlight each drive in that branch, & click "Remove".
| > (Safe Mode may reveal the presence of a "ghost".)
| > (5) Close up, & boot to Normal Mode.
| >
| > Hopefully Windows will find the correct drivers, & all will be well.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
| > | HP software version is 1.0.
| > |
| > | About an hour ago, my husband disconnected the ribbon cable to the
| > newer
| > | burner & uninstalled all the Nero software. He then uninstalled
all
| > the HP
| > | burner software & reinstalled it.
| > |
| > | We tried writing to the brand-new Memorex CD-RW via copy/paste,
but
| > first
| > | formatted it via right-clicking on D: Properties-Format, then it
| > showed disc
| > | full immediately afterward. We then stuck in a brand-new Sony
CD-RW &
| > tried
| > | to write to it via EasyCD Creator, but it doesn't let you get to
the
| > next
| > | step without first formatting it, which we decided not to do as
didn't
| > want
| > | to waste another CD; the Memorex web site says the newer CD's
don't
| > need
| > | formatting. After all the above uninstall/install, the HP burner
| > still lets
| > | me read my older CD-RWs.
| > |
| > | FYI: When my husband went in to remove/uninstall Nero software,
only
| > there
| > | in that list did we see Nero InCD listed, but he uninstalled that,
| > too,
| > | anyway, after which we still couldn't write to the HP burner.
| > |
| > | My HP burner has never ever failed, not even once, since 1998, &
I've
| > used
| > | it tons. I was hoping with the Nero software all gone & its
burner
| > | disconnected, problem would be solved.
| > |
| > | My files I need to copy are a culmination of 8 years' work & too
big
| > for a
| > | floppy. I hope you guys can continue to help me as I'm at a total
| > loss. I
| > | don't trust my computer (ever since Norton Antivirus install in
| > November
| > | 2004, it constantly comes up with "illegal error" & is slow as
| > molasses & we
| > | have to restart constantly, but I was ok with that as long as I
could
| > copy to
| > | CD every time I worked in my C: files). I'm really afraid to lose
my
| > C:
| > | drive files and need to copy them desperately. Thanx a mil.
| > | --
| > | moregive
| > |
| > |
| > | "glee" wrote:
| > |
SendTo
| > menu, uses the
| > say what
| > packet-writing
| > install InCD, the

| > software or Nero
| > either a CD-R or

| > recognises both drives

| > CD-RW, I
| > click on the
| > pops up,
| > write-protected. I've
| > is. I've
| > copy over to
| > burner's on; the

| > contains DOS
| > computer
| > the install
| > Files-Ahead-Nero,

| > files to the CD-RW

| > to write to the
| > case of Nero,

| > drive and
| > back-up, I also
| > 52x32x52x SOHR-52385
| > is still
Plus
| > 8100 series
| > new CD burner.

| > brand-new Memorex
| > 80min.

| > brand-new
| > the disc is

| > what's on them and

| > CD-RWs. Thank

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:23:31 AM

:-)
Yup, I sure do! Oh well.....looks like Ron was right AGAIN. LOL
--

> [...]
> |
> | Best regards,
> | moregive
> | --
> | moregive
> |

> | "PCR" wrote:
> |
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q237948
> | > Troubleshoot CD-R_W
> | >
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=218617
> | > Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
> | >
> | > I guess, a first try would be...
> | >
> | > (1) Boot to Safe Mode. (Hold F5 as you boot, or hold CTRL for the
> | > Startup Menu, & select Safe Mode from that.)
> | > (2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
> | > (3) Open the CD-ROM branch, by clicking it's plus sign.
> | > (4) Highlight each drive in that branch, & click "Remove".
> | > (Safe Mode may reveal the presence of a "ghost".)
> | > (5) Close up, & boot to Normal Mode.
> | >
> | > Hopefully Windows will find the correct drivers, & all will be well.

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:16:24 AM

"moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> Dear Glee,
>
> Yes, thank you, I will have to confront the shop. Thanx to you, though, I
> learned about "mastering" vs. "packet-writing" software and never to have
2
> packet-writers installed at the same time.
>
> One question: What does it mean that, for Nero, when I went to PROGRAM
> FILES-AHEAD-NERO & NERO MEDIA, I could not locate InCD, yet when my
husband
> went to remove/uninstall all Nero programs, InCD showed up in there? Was
> InCD actually installed or not?

Just guessing, but......

Yes, under your husband's UserID...

and

No, under your UserId.

Try installing all of your software under both UserIds.

PS I agree with Glen (Glee).

You should be able to run both burners on one machine.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 12:30:12 PM

8 years of work should be burned with mastering software via ISO/Joliet to
CDR, not a packet writer to CDRW.

If you able to use either Nero or the Adaptec mastering software on either
unit, use that now to CDR. Then pursue the double writers, double mastering
software, and double packet writing software issue.

If all else fails, take the PC back to the makers. They may be able to
temporarily network it to one of their local PCs, and burn your personal
data to their PCs burner. Again, using ISO/Joliet format to CDR.

> [...]
> > Knowledge Base Info:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> >

> > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > >I think this could be, as I just pulled out the CD-RW Quick
Installation
> > > Guide, which says, "To minimize possible software conflicts, it is
> > > recommended that only one CD recording software be installed onto the
PC
> > > at
> > > one time," which is frustrating as I paid a computer repair shop to
repair
> > > my
> > > spyware problem and they did the new burner install without informing
me
> > > of
> > > this recommendation.
> > >
> > > Where do I look to find the ribbon cable - do I have to open up the

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:21:17 PM

Just to emphasize, as you stated, be sure to use CD-R discs with the mastering
software, even though one *can* use RW discs with it....because many CD-ROM drives
will not be able to read an RW disc even if it is written with mastering software.
--

news:o XQiy8SjFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > the computer home until very recently. So the 90-day warranty for their
> > burner install in November is long gone.
> >
> > I hope you guys can help figure this one out. My documents I need to copy
> > onto CD-RW are too big for floppy, & a culmination of 8 years' work. I
> > simply don't know what to do.
> >
> > You guys are great. Thanx for all your responses. I'm clinging to you in
> > the middle of the ocean. I'll try anything you say.
> > --
> > moregive
> >

> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> > > With the machine powered down, open the case and look at the drives.
> Be
> > > sure to ground yourself to the case before touching anything. There is a
> > > ribbon cable for transferring data and a power cable on each drive. The
> > > drives will probably be connected on the same ribbon cable so I would

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:26:26 PM

Well, I'm glad one of you two &/or us three got it fixed.

--
| :-)
| Yup, I sure do! Oh well.....looks like Ron was right AGAIN. LOL
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

| > You are welcome. I saw. Removing one caused the other to begin to
work,
| > & you discovered unused space in older CDs. Gooood. Poor Glee,
though,
| > who still wants both to work.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
| > | Dear PCR,
| > |
| > | Thank you so kindly for your response. Please see my 07/19/05
| > response to
| > | Ron Badour.
| > |
| > | Best regards,
| > | moregive
| > | --
| > | moregive
| > |
| > |
| > | "PCR" wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > all
| > | > |
| > but
| > CD-RW &
| > the
| > didn't
| > don't
| > | > |
| > only
| > | > |
| > I've
| > burner
| > | > |
| > big
| > could
| > my
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > SendTo
DirectCD....you
| > don't
| > different

Creator

| > the
| > burner

| > the
| > on

| > attempt
installed...in
| > the

| > hard
| > as a
CD-RW
| > that
CD-Writer
| > Plus
| > the

| > 700mb

| > these
| > if

| > new

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 8:43:33 PM

Hi moregive,

Have you thought of using a USB PenDrive - FlashDrive ?
These things are quite cheap, come in various (memory) sizes, and will
appear to work much like a hard-drive.
They are a convenient way to get large files from one computer to another
where there is no network connection.

Rednelle

> [...]
> > Knowledge Base Info:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
> >

> > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > >I think this could be, as I just pulled out the CD-RW Quick
Installation
> > > Guide, which says, "To minimize possible software conflicts, it is
> > > recommended that only one CD recording software be installed onto the
PC
> > > at
> > > one time," which is frustrating as I paid a computer repair shop to
repair
> > > my
> > > spyware problem and they did the new burner install without informing
me
> > > of
> > > this recommendation.
> > >
> > > Where do I look to find the ribbon cable - do I have to open up the

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:10:01 PM

Dear Rednelle,

I never heard of USB PenDrive - FlashDrive, but it's excellent info to keep
on file. Since we got my HP burner working again by disconnecting the other
burner & uninstalling its software, I won't need to put your suggestion into
practice right now. But thank you very much!

Kind regards,

Moregive
--
moregive

"Rednelle" wrote:

> [...]
> > the computer home until very recently. So the 90-day warranty for their
> > burner install in November is long gone.
> >
> > I hope you guys can help figure this one out. My documents I need to copy
> > onto CD-RW are too big for floppy, & a culmination of 8 years' work. I
> > simply don't know what to do.
> >
> > You guys are great. Thanx for all your responses. I'm clinging to you in
> > the middle of the ocean. I'll try anything you say.
> > --
> > moregive
> >

> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> > > With the machine powered down, open the case and look at the drives.
> Be
> > > sure to ground yourself to the case before touching anything. There is a
> > > ribbon cable for transferring data and a power cable on each drive. The
> > > drives will probably be connected on the same ribbon cable so I would

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:19:01 PM

Dear Glee,

Wow! I never knew that many CD-ROM drives cannot read RWs! This is
invaluable info for me as the goal of my 8 years of work (a 28-book musical
phonics series with Parent/Teacher Guides) is to get it to a publisher this
summer. If not for you, I would never have known to put it on CD-R instead
of RW and to use mastering (instead of packet-writing) software to do it.
Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

Moregive
--
moregive

"glee" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > We just don't get it because we've had the HP burner since 1998 (bought it
> > > brand-new) and it never ever failed or messed up, not once.
> > >
> > > FYI: When we took our computer in November 2004 to the repair shop after
> > > spyware infiltration (we bought our computer brand new in 1998 from same
> > > shop; they built it), I didn't need to burn any info to the CD until this
> > > week, as I was out of state for my mom's terminal illness since we brought
> > > the computer home until very recently. So the 90-day warranty for their
> > > burner install in November is long gone.
> > >
> > > I hope you guys can help figure this one out. My documents I need to copy
> > > onto CD-RW are too big for floppy, & a culmination of 8 years' work. I
> > > simply don't know what to do.
> > >
> > > You guys are great. Thanx for all your responses. I'm clinging to you in
> > > the middle of the ocean. I'll try anything you say.

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:20:02 PM

Dear Lil' Dave,

Thank you kindly for your response. Please see my 07/20/05 response to Glee.

Kind regards,

moregive
--
moregive

"Lil' Dave" wrote:

> [...]
> > the computer home until very recently. So the 90-day warranty for their
> > burner install in November is long gone.
> >
> > I hope you guys can help figure this one out. My documents I need to copy
> > onto CD-RW are too big for floppy, & a culmination of 8 years' work. I
> > simply don't know what to do.
> >
> > You guys are great. Thanx for all your responses. I'm clinging to you in
> > the middle of the ocean. I'll try anything you say.
> > --
> > moregive
> >

> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> > > With the machine powered down, open the case and look at the drives.
> Be
> > > sure to ground yourself to the case before touching anything. There is a
> > > ribbon cable for transferring data and a power cable on each drive. The
> > > drives will probably be connected on the same ribbon cable so I would

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:38:01 PM

Dear Hugh,

Hmmm, interesting & thanx. I actually don't think my husband & I have 2
separate UserIDs (we just plain old turn on the computer & start working, no
passwords or anything).

Kind regards,

moregive
--
moregive

"Hugh Candlin" wrote:

> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Dear Glee,
> >
> > Yes, thank you, I will have to confront the shop. Thanx to you, though, I
> > learned about "mastering" vs. "packet-writing" software and never to have
> 2
> > packet-writers installed at the same time.
> >
> > One question: What does it mean that, for Nero, when I went to PROGRAM
> > FILES-AHEAD-NERO & NERO MEDIA, I could not locate InCD, yet when my
> husband
> > went to remove/uninstall all Nero programs, InCD showed up in there? Was
> > InCD actually installed or not?
>
> Just guessing, but......
>
> Yes, under your husband's UserID...
>
> and
>
> No, under your UserId.
>
> Try installing all of your software under both UserIds.
>
> PS I agree with Glen (Glee).
>
> You should be able to run both burners on one machine.

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:26:48 AM

> Dear Hugh,
>
> Hmmm, interesting & thanx. I actually don't think my husband & I have 2
> separate UserIDs (we just plain old turn on the computer & start working,
no
> passwords or anything).

That's OK, I just read more into your post than was intended,
and incorrectly concluded that you had two separate signon's.

InCD or any other installed program doesn't HAVE to be
in Program Files. The default installation folder will be
whatever the programmer decides to make it.

It is (was?) probably on your hard drive,
in a folder of its own.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:45:09 AM

YW.
Here's more than you ever wanted to know -
CD-Recordable FAQ:
http://www.cdrfaq.org/
--

> Dear Glee,
>
> Wow! I never knew that many CD-ROM drives cannot read RWs! This is
> invaluable info for me as the goal of my 8 years of work (a 28-book musical
> phonics series with Parent/Teacher Guides) is to get it to a publisher this
> summer. If not for you, I would never have known to put it on CD-R instead
> of RW and to use mastering (instead of packet-writing) software to do it.
> Thank you very much!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Moregive
> --
> moregive
>

> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Just to emphasize, as you stated, be sure to use CD-R discs with the mastering
> > software, even though one *can* use RW discs with it....because many CD-ROM
drives
> > will not be able to read an RW disc even if it is written with mastering
software.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> > news:o XQiy8SjFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > 8 years of work should be burned with mastering software via ISO/Joliet to
> > > CDR, not a packet writer to CDRW.
> > >
> > > If you able to use either Nero or the Adaptec mastering software on either
> > > unit, use that now to CDR. Then pursue the double writers, double mastering
> > > software, and double packet writing software issue.
> > >
> > > If all else fails, take the PC back to the makers. They may be able to
> > > temporarily network it to one of their local PCs, and burn your personal
> > > data to their PCs burner. Again, using ISO/Joliet format to CDR.
> > >
> > > "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > > uninstalled
> > > we
> > > if

> > > Be
> > > unplug

> > > Installation
> > > PC
> > > repair
> > > me

> > > Remove
> > > begains

> > > and
> > > back-up,
> > > still
> > > CD

> > > brand-new

> > > brand-new
> > > disc

> > > them

> > > CD-RWs.

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:45:10 AM

Thanx, Glee. I'm an info gatherer, so I value & print out everyone's input
for future reference.

Since you're an MVP, maybe you can answer this, if you have time (if not,
it's ok): I like to give everyone credit that provides valuable info, but
don't really know if I should be checking "yes" or "no" for "Did this post
answer the question?". For instance, I checked "yes" when you told me many
CD-ROMs can't read RWs and that I should use CD-Rs with mastering software.
Should I really check "no" since it doesn't answer my initial question?

Thanx & regards,

moregive
--
moregive

"glee" wrote:

> YW.
> Here's more than you ever wanted to know -
> CD-Recordable FAQ:
> http://www.cdrfaq.org/
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "moregive" <moregive1@yahoo.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
> > Dear Glee,
> >
> > Wow! I never knew that many CD-ROM drives cannot read RWs! This is
> > invaluable info for me as the goal of my 8 years of work (a 28-book musical
> > phonics series with Parent/Teacher Guides) is to get it to a publisher this
> > summer. If not for you, I would never have known to put it on CD-R instead
> > of RW and to use mastering (instead of packet-writing) software to do it.
> > Thank you very much!
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Moregive
> > --
> > moregive
> >

> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > Just to emphasize, as you stated, be sure to use CD-R discs with the mastering
> > > software, even though one *can* use RW discs with it....because many CD-ROM
> drives
> > > will not be able to read an RW disc even if it is written with mastering
> software.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
> > > news:o XQiy8SjFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:17:25 AM

It does not matter to me, because I do not use the web interface you are using, and
have no use for it or whatever ratings they may be using. The web interface just
directs your posts to the newsgroups, where we work for free to help you.

I suggest you access the newgroups using a newsreader rather than the flaky web
interface....Outlook Express has a built-in newsreader. This is the news group you
are in right now:

How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to access the Microsoft
forums:
http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.ht...