need help adding a old harddrive to new pc

I just finished building a new pc. I have a 250gig WD hdd sata2 w/ a asus a8n-32sli deluxe mobo running windows xp home.

I have a old pc with a 70gig wd ide hdd with all my songs, files, pics, etc on it. It has a windows xp pro os on it.

The problem is I tried making a network between the 2 computers so I could transfer my old files onto the new pc which is basically empty, but no matter what I do it will not work.

So I decided fack it, im gonna put my old hd into my new pc, but when i put the old hdd into the new pc, it doesnt boot. It reads the ide hdd instead of the sata hdd. I put the jumper to slave and put it into the slave ide slot on the mobo. Is there anyway to get this to work instead of formating the old hdd?

Do I have to change something in the bios? I would really really like to have my files on my new pc. Thank you in advance.

Ed
6 answers Last reply
More about need adding harddrive
  1. Only way I know is to get an HDD case and connect by USB.
  2. You have the wrong boot order set in the BIOS.

There will be an option to boot from "IDE0" and that is the one you want.

Be prepared for a bit of a nightmare though: at least 15 reboots, and around 45 minutes before you can use the PC.

You should have uninstalled all the motherboard drivers and device drivers before shutting down the old PC for the last time.

As it stands, Windows will have a complete spaz when it starts up on a totally new Computer. It *should* be OK - I've done this before - but only after removing all the motherboard doodads from device manager.

You are well advised NOT to continue using the old IDE drive as a system drive - as it will be much slower than your new HDD. So, here's what you need to do: get your hands on the floppy disk version of Norton Ghost, and when your IDE drive settles down, boot to Ghost and make a bit for bit copy of your old drive over onto your new drive. Once that completes, go into the BIOS and change the Boot order so SATA0 is first in the list. Remove the old HDD to make ABSOLUTELY SURE IT IS BOOTING FROM THE CORRECT DRIVE.

After running the machine for a few days and ensuring all your files are present, reinstall the old IDE drive, format it to NTFS and then set your Windows Swap file to use that drive.

Voila. You're done. :)
  3. Quote:
    I just finished building a new pc. I have a 250gig WD hdd sata2 w/ a asus a8n-32sli deluxe mobo running windows xp home.

So I decided fack it, im gonna put my old hd into my new pc, but when i put the old hdd into the new pc, it doesnt boot. I put the jumper to slave and put it into the slave ide slot on the mobo.

Do I have to change something in the bios? I would really really like to have my files on my new pc. Thank you in advance.

Note that for WD drives, unlike any other manufacturers', there are different jumper settings for "Master" and "Single." When you install the old drive on the IDE cable, make sure it is jumpered as "Single" not "Master." Then you will have to go into the bios and change the boot order, or Device Priority, since by default IDE drives are put before Sata drives. Set the DVDrom first, then the sata drive, then floppy (if any) then the IDE drive. No, don't set a single IDE drive as "Slave," it doesn't (usually) work at all, and that has no relevance when mixing Satas and ATAs.
  4. thanks for the fast reply guys. mobius, that sounds pretty complicated.

I sorta forgot to mention I just wanted to put the old hd into the new pc then transfer the files to the new hdd. then take the old hd out and install it back into the old pc.

bustedsony, so change the jumper settings to single, then change the bios device priority, .. hm im gonna try it out
  5. well i changed the jumper to single, plugged it up, went into bios, changed the device priority of the 250gig first.. then changed the boot up dvd, 250gig, floppy...

im transfering all my stuff to my new pc right now as i type!!!!!! :D :D :D :D thanks alot.. i never knew how to play around in the bios.. i think i should pay more attention to it! thanks alot ppl!
  6. Quote:
    well i changed the jumper to single, plugged it up, went into bios, changed the device priority of the 250gig first.. then changed the boot up dvd, 250gig, floppy...

im transfering all my stuff to my new pc right now as i type!!!!!! thanks alot.. i never knew how to play around in the bios.. i think i should pay more attention to it! thanks alot ppl!

Actually I did gather that the OS was on the 250 and you just wanted the old drive in temporarily to transfer files, a common scenario. Glad you got it going.. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Windows XP Storage