Icon trouble

I, at one time had Netscape installed on this computer and when I saved
pictures to my desktop it automatically wanted to use Netscape to view
them.Now I have deleted Netscape from this computer I can no longer view the
pictures because Netscape is gone.How can I change the files to let me view
them with IE ? Does this post make sense ? I hope so !

Thanks,

Dennis

---

I will give the info for the correct entries below, but really, a web browser is a
poor choice for default image viewer. Far better is to install a good image viewer,
and use its options to associate the appropriate image types with that viewer. One
of the best is also free:
Irfan Viewer:
http://www.irfanview.com/
(After installing, also install the Plug-in collection linked at the same home page)

To do what you want, click Start> Settings> Folder Options> File Types tab, scroll
the list for one of the image types you wish to change, such as GIF Image.
Select it in the list, click Edit.
In the Actions box you should see "Open" listed....select it and click EDIT.
In the Edit box that appears, in the box for "Application used to perform action,
enter (or copy/paste from here):
"C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\iexplore.exe" -nohome

Put a check in the box for "Use DDE"
In the section that appears below that, enter these in the appropriate boxes-
(in the DDE Message, include those quote marks and all commas...best to copy/paste
all these entries):

DDE Message - "file://%1",,-1,,,,,

Application - IExplore

Topic - WWW_OpenURL

When done, click OK, or Close, then go onto the next image file type you want to
change in the list, and do the same for each....most likely you will want to include
GIF Image, JPEG, JPG, and probably others.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dennis Roberson" <dennisr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I, at one time had Netscape installed on this computer and when I saved
> pictures to my desktop it automatically wanted to use Netscape to view
> them.Now I have deleted Netscape from this computer I can no longer view the
> pictures because Netscape is gone.How can I change the files to let me view
> them with IE ? Does this post make sense ? I hope so !
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis
>

> ---

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:11:17 -0500, "Dennis Roberson"
<dennisr@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I, at one time had Netscape installed on this computer and when I saved
>pictures to my desktop it automatically wanted to use Netscape to view
>them.Now I have deleted Netscape from this computer I can no longer view the
>pictures because Netscape is gone.How can I change the files to let me view
>them with IE ? Does this post make sense ? I hope so !
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dennis

Another way is select the graphic with the left mouse button then
right click it while holding down the shift key. Select "Open with"
then choose iexplore or the program to open it then check "always
use" Then OK. Double click the file to open it to make sure. Do it
with the other graphics as well.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
> snip
> Another way is select the graphic with the left mouse button then
> right click it while holding down the shift key. Select "Open with"
> then choose iexplore or the program to open it then check "always
> use" Then OK. Double click the file to open it to make sure. Do it
> with the other graphics as well.

That's true, of course, Bill, but it doesn't add the DDE info, as you know.....it
certainly works to get the images to open in the desired program, and one can go
into the File Types dialogs later and add the DDE info if desired. I have always
tried to avoid the shift-right-click method of associating files types because so
often it leaves so much still broken.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:15:56 -0400, "glee"
<glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote:

>"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@ptd.net> wrote in message
>> snip
>> Another way is select the graphic with the left mouse button then
>> right click it while holding down the shift key. Select "Open with"
>> then choose iexplore or the program to open it then check "always
>> use" Then OK. Double click the file to open it to make sure. Do it
>> with the other graphics as well.
>
>That's true, of course, Bill, but it doesn't add the DDE info, as you know.....it
>certainly works to get the images to open in the desired program, and one can go
>into the File Types dialogs later and add the DDE info if desired. I have always
>tried to avoid the shift-right-click method of associating files types because so
>often it leaves so much still broken.

Good point Glen. I never gave it much thought and as long as DDE is
an option it seems like a good idea to use it. Many applications
still use DDE. Although DDE is being supplanted by OLE, which
provides greater control over shared data and is built into Windows.
I haven't used data sharing between two programs the way DDE and OLE
do and I'm glad to know more about it now.