KB891711

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 19, 2005 7:55:25 PM

I'm running Windows 98 and I've just run Windows Update as normal,
which included the patch for KB891711 (previously installed but
removed due to the problems it caused).

Well, KB891711 has caused me problems again, making the system hang
immediately after startup.
I've narrowed it down to being caused by a conflict of some sort with
my firewall (ZoneAlarm version 3.7.202 - the latest version that I
have managed to install successfully on native Windows 98).
Result: I've had to remove KB891711 again. Now everything is working
normally.

I thought Microshaft had fixed this damn bug?

More about : kb891711

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 7:55:26 PM

> Well, KB891711 has caused me problems again, making the system hang
> immediately after startup.
> I've narrowed it down to being caused by a conflict of some sort with
> my firewall (ZoneAlarm version 3.7.202 - the latest version that I
> have managed to install successfully on native Windows 98).
> Result: I've had to remove KB891711 again. Now everything is working
> normally.

I have just had a problem with the KB88393(I think) patch, it would stop
Win98 from starting up, either restarting when Win98 began to load or just
crashing. Reinstalling Win98 fixed this, might work in your case.

HTH,
jkb
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 7:55:26 PM

891711 did indeed cause problems when it was first released. It was
re-released in April and you've installed the fixed version now, which
doesn't seem to be causing the problem you describe for other users, Gary.
See this archived thread for a long discussion on it:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...

Have you confirmed that ZA v3.7.202 is Win98-compatible?

Try the Clean Boot Troubleshooting technique to see what may be interfering.
It shouldn't be 891711 but YMMV:

How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192926/
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Gary D. wrote:
> I'm running Windows 98 and I've just run Windows Update as normal,
> which included the patch for KB891711 (previously installed but
> removed due to the problems it caused).
>
> Well, KB891711 has caused me problems again, making the system hang
> immediately after startup.
> I've narrowed it down to being caused by a conflict of some sort with
> my firewall (ZoneAlarm version 3.7.202 - the latest version that I
> have managed to install successfully on native Windows 98).
> Result: I've had to remove KB891711 again. Now everything is working
> normally.
>
> I thought Microshaft had fixed this damn bug?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:06:10 PM

See Alan Raskin's replies in this thread (annd also Mel's):
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi....*&rnum=2&hl=en#aebb8222c14362de

It indicates that version 3.7.xxx of Zone Alarm may have had a problem with the
update, and you should upgrade to the newer version of ZA. He fixed his problem by
upgrading to version 4.5.594.000 and the problem with the update ceased.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Gary D." <ignore@notvalid.net> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows 98 and I've just run Windows Update as normal,
> which included the patch for KB891711 (previously installed but
> removed due to the problems it caused).
>
> Well, KB891711 has caused me problems again, making the system hang
> immediately after startup.
> I've narrowed it down to being caused by a conflict of some sort with
> my firewall (ZoneAlarm version 3.7.202 - the latest version that I
> have managed to install successfully on native Windows 98).
> Result: I've had to remove KB891711 again. Now everything is working
> normally.
>
> I thought Microshaft had fixed this damn bug?

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:38:40 PM

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:06:10 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
wrote:

>He fixed his problem by
>upgrading to version 4.5.594.000 and the problem with the update ceased.

Yes, that seems to have worked.
I find it surprising since the documentation for v 4.5.594 states 98SE
is required.

So far my 98 system is stable...
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:30:38 AM

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:06:10 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
> >He fixed his problem by
> >upgrading to version 4.5.594.000 and the problem with the update ceased.
>
> Yes, that seems to have worked.
> I find it surprising since the documentation for v 4.5.594 states 98SE
> is required.
>
> So far my 98 system is stable...

I thought the latest version was 5.5 094 for 98SE...
Bob
!