TTF File

bonjour,
I want to parse a windows true type font file to retreive the data
information of the font.
To be able to do that I learn the specification of this font, but I
can't have a clear idea about it. Please can someone provide me with an
easy explaination of this specification. hopefully I want to
hunderstand the glygh table and how the font data can be taken from the
tables forming the true type font file
thanks in advance

"kaouG" <kaoutar263@caramail.com> wrote in message

> I want to parse a windows true type font file to retreive the data
> information of the font.
> To be able to do that I learn the specification of this font, but I
> can't have a clear idea about it. Please can someone provide me with an
> easy explaination of this specification. hopefully I want to

This is proprietary information, probably protected
by copyright, i.e. you may have to pay for it. If you
have the necessary skill, no one can prevent your
analysing the contents of a TTF file on your own.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

angler

You can get some information from Microsoft.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/DevOverview.mspx

kaouG <kaoutar263@caramail.com> wrote in message
> bonjour,
> I want to parse a windows true type font file to retreive the data
> information of the font.
> To be able to do that I learn the specification of this font, but I
> can't have a clear idea about it. Please can someone provide me with an
> easy explaination of this specification. hopefully I want to
> hunderstand the glygh table and how the font data can be taken from the
> tables forming the true type font file
> thanks in advance

The TTF file format is an open format originally developed by Apple but
later adopted by Microsoft. Like many such file formats the formal
definition is not easy to understand. The definition can be found at many
places - for a good list, start here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;88458
INFO: Windows TrueType Fonts Reading List

To dissect TTF files you will need to be able to write a parser that
extracts the information from the TTF file in a format that you can make
sense of. You can build the parser incrementaly, starting with a process
that identifies the blocks of data, then decodes each block into its
components. Careful reading of the specification, searching the www,
ivestigating sample files, and gradually improving your parser is the only
way I know of to get inside these sorts of files.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)