Your question
Closed

Windows 8 Marketing Campaign Likely to Hit $1.5 Billion

Last response: in News comments
October 15, 2012 2:46:25 PM

I hope it succeeds in both markets PC and tablet/phone
Score
October 15, 2012 2:48:18 PM

Are we getting another Rolling Stones song in the $1.5 Billion?
Score
October 15, 2012 2:49:16 PM

For $1.5 Billion, they could have fired the entire Metro UI division, and make more silly money.
Score
October 15, 2012 2:52:27 PM

This will be the worst launch failure since Virtual Gameboy. Remember that!? Of course not, it went up in flames faster than Spontaneous Human Combustion. Bahahaahaa I crack myself up ^_^
Score
October 15, 2012 2:52:42 PM

The best marketing campaign is not insulting users with Metro Bob 2.0.
Score
October 15, 2012 2:56:56 PM

aoneoneThis will be the worst launch failure since Virtual Gameboy. Remember that!? Of course not, it went up in flames faster than Spontaneous Human Combustion. Bahahaahaa I crack myself up ^_^

I actually had one, bought it at an AAFES store in Fort Hood,Tx.

Score
October 15, 2012 2:58:55 PM

nieurI hope it succeeds in both markets PC and tablet/phone

I am confident it will. Start menu was inefficient and even MS said according to their statistics it was used very little. Who likes to go Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint.exe etc. no one does that anymore!! if you use a program often, you put it on the taskbar or a shortcut on the desktop. Windows 8 gives you that in a awesome way.
Score
October 15, 2012 3:01:35 PM

1.5 billion for what?....i am a little confused....such a waste of money
Score
October 15, 2012 3:07:51 PM

fayzaanI am confident it will. Start menu was inefficient and even MS said according to their statistics it was used very little. Who likes to go Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint.exe etc. no one does that anymore!! if you use a program often, you put it on the taskbar or a shortcut on the desktop. Windows 8 gives you that in a awesome way.

Wow, sounds like a Microsoft employee defending his work on metro UI and hoping he doesn't get fired for it.
Score
October 15, 2012 3:07:58 PM

would it be cheaper just to give all windows 7 users a free upgrade instead of spending 1.5 billion to charge us £20-25 quid to upgrade? (75 million upgrades)
Score
October 15, 2012 3:22:09 PM

barterwould it be cheaper just to give all windows 7 users a free upgrade instead of spending 1.5 billion to charge us £20-25 quid to upgrade? (75 million upgrades)

600 million windows 7 licenses, $40 per upgrade (digital copy, cheapest one), that's $24 Billion dollars
Score
October 15, 2012 3:24:47 PM

wemakeourfuture600 million windows 7 licenses, $40 per upgrade (digital copy, cheapest one), that's $24 Billion dollars

Also, I'm not including XP SP3 and Vista which are eligible, plus we know they won't get 100% of machine upgrading.

As an MSFT investor, I don't mind them spending $1.5 billion on marketing the ROI is going to justify it.
Score
October 15, 2012 3:30:36 PM

Spend a whole lot less than that and simply give people a "CHOICE" let them us the new GUI or let them use the old one.

that way EVERYONE WINS!
Score
October 15, 2012 3:31:25 PM

fayzaanI am confident it will. Start menu was inefficient and even MS said according to their statistics it was used very little. Who likes to go Start>Programs>Accessories>Paint.exe etc. no one does that anymore!! if you use a program often, you put it on the taskbar or a shortcut on the desktop. Windows 8 gives you that in a awesome way.

no it does not...i like the old fashion UI...it works and it's very simple...why confuse everyone and make it ugly at the same time?
Score
October 15, 2012 3:31:52 PM

That 1.5 billion would have been much better spent with R&D (emphasis on research) and overhauling arguably one of the worst (desktop) UI's ever created.
Score
October 15, 2012 3:32:15 PM

I just looked through my room's Window and saw 8 birds outside.
Score
October 15, 2012 3:48:36 PM

nebunno it does not...i like the old fashion UI...it works and it's very simple...why confuse everyone and make it ugly at the same time?

Well then stay old! bwahahah, the rest of the world will be moving forward...after all that is how the tech industry works (it moves forward all the time). And seriously, how is it simple? I haven't used the start menu since like forever. I already explained my point before. So ist not simple, at least not as simple as it is in Windows 8.
Score
October 15, 2012 3:51:22 PM

W8 price doesn't seem too high (unless that's just pre-order price). $69-139 is pretty reasonable. If they want it to succeed they can't be selling W8 for $200 or 300 because then no one's going to want to upgrade from W7, which is already a pretty exceptional OS. The same goes for the Surface, if they sell it too expensive then barely anyone's going to want to buy it over the iPad or Kindles or whatever other Android Tablets out there. MS can tank a flop but why risk it? Why not price their products at a range most people won't mind spending? Give the Surface RT a $299 price tag and the Pro a $499 or even $599 and watch as they sell millions of these by the end of this year.
Score
October 15, 2012 3:55:05 PM

Microsoft could have save more money just by giving it for free, to those who might want it.

Score
October 15, 2012 4:40:33 PM

I like to make my own desktop with rainmeter, dock programs and such.

So no thanks to the whole metro ui thing.
Score
October 15, 2012 4:43:34 PM

Needless to say, I wont be part of their "Operational Income" for atleast another 5 years or so :D 
Score
October 15, 2012 5:15:13 PM

So they are going to spend $1.5billion on marketing? May i ask the difficult question: What is the benefit of having to upgrade Windows 7 to 8?
Score
October 15, 2012 5:42:59 PM

Kami3kWow, sounds like a Microsoft employee defending his work on metro UI and hoping he doesn't get fired for it.

I'm sorry but where I work it's true. As soon as you place the shortcuts onto the task bar the only reason to use the start button is to log off or shutdown. That's it. I've had people call to ask where office had gone we all know that they could have found it within the start menu.

Think about it...
Score
October 15, 2012 5:44:13 PM

I think microsoft isn't really targeting the current windows 7 performance market (which most of this community is a part of) their main platforms are going to be laptops and tablets, which require a fast, light interface. As a crappy-laptop owner I can confidently say windows 8 is better than windows 7 on this computer. The memory usage is stellar (300-500mb) compared to windows 7 (1gb+) and startup from power-off is stellar on a slow hard drive (15-30 seconds). Metro is easy to use on an inaccurate trackpad because it requires less precision, and the search function is extremely good as well.

Sure, for my desktop at home with an SSD and great CPU, windows 7 performs its job much better than metro could, but for my laptop, it's a lovely OS.
Score
October 15, 2012 6:00:15 PM

I'm just waiting for the ship to literally sink! Really, are you that stubborn and narrowminded? Listen to your consumers ffs! HELLO knock knock!!?? Are you deaf?? IT WON'T WORK!!!

1.5 billion just to force feed something that a great deal of us don't want! Way to go!
Score
October 15, 2012 6:10:38 PM

I really enjoy win 8 despite the failures with the UI "AKA" metro. Mainly search... its just backwards. Oh and boot to desktop...

I hope it does well but I think its gonna be a poor response. Even with it being better than 7.
Score
October 15, 2012 6:13:55 PM

I use quick launch on Windows 7 for most often used programs.
I pin frequently used programs to the start menu
I go start > all programs > program X... for rarely used programs

It works beautifully. I will never willingly sacrifice the highly efficient start button for that shitty metro interface.
Score
October 15, 2012 6:14:13 PM

1,5bilion wasted .... even buying Yugo's for all that money would be a better investment ....

who doesn't know what a Yugo is can go Google :p 
Score
October 15, 2012 6:17:53 PM

How much of that $1.5 billion Marketing budget is spent on forum trolling such as that found in this here thread?
Score
a b * Windows 8
October 15, 2012 6:27:36 PM

Windows 8 + Start8 = Problem Solved

Calling the operating system garbage\trash because of "Metro" alone is just childish.

One point five billion dollars is so much money, how is that possible, I've seen like 2-3 commercials only. There are much better ways to advertise and do it cheap while being much more effective. That much should have gone to R&D.
Score
October 15, 2012 6:38:21 PM

exactly, if there is a program that you use on a regular basis, you pin it to the superbar, otherwise you hit the start key and start typing because searching around in the start menu is scarier than looking for a box of stuff in an attic infested with brown recluse spiders!
So what did they change in win8? If you use a program often, then you pin it to the superbar, otherwise you hit the start button and start typing... IT IS THE EXACT SAME WORKFLOW! I really don't get all the complaints. The only difference is that it lets you see more information, and more programs within the start screen. It really is an improvement all-around.

I do wish there was more customization options for the start menu background and metro color scheme. I also wish that when the desktop is in the side-bar mode that the window previews would fill the space better (specifically so I can watch shows on websites or progress bars easier while playing metro games). I also wish that right clicking with a mouse in metro would bring up a more traditional context menu next to the mouse (like it does in the metro task switcher) rather than having to move down to the bottom of the screen to make a selection. Lastly, I wish that there was one unified settings menu rather than having thing split between the metro settings menu, and the traditional Control Panel. But those are 4 relatively minor complaints, and everything else works quite nicely in the final build. Yes, there is room for improvement. Yes, things will be better when a retail kinnect PC or leap motion become available. But metro keeps the traditional workflow and use of the start menu, while opening up a whole ton of other options with the start screen and metro interface.
Score
October 15, 2012 6:44:17 PM

edogawaWindows 8 + Start8 = Problem SolvedCalling the operating system garbage\trash because of "Metro" alone is just childish.One point five billion dollars is so much money, how is that possible, I've seen like 2-3 commercials only. There are much better ways to advertise and do it cheap while being much more effective. That much should have gone to R&D.

well it is, since the whole idea of windows was to have a better UI then DOS, now it seems we are takeing steppes backwards :) 
Score
October 15, 2012 6:49:16 PM

Windows 8 Metro/Modern-hate aside, Microsoft is like the late 2012 LA Dodgers: spend spend spend spend their way to success. Whereas they need to spend that money wisely (i.e.: St. Louis Cardinals) and learn how to market.

Microsoft's marketing is terrible!
Score
October 15, 2012 7:27:18 PM

Actually, that is not the point. If that was all that was different, we could live with it. But the lack of commands are the problem. When an IT professional wants to get the IP address of a box, they don't open the control panel, go to networking, right-click for preferences, etc. They do Start->run->ipconfig /all (or /release or /renew, etc) or cmd and then ipconfig from there. And when they set up scripts to do a domain full of computers, they can't do a GUI-click. It has to be commands. Even the server versions of Windows 8 and Server 2012 don't have commands. I have friends who work for M$ in their server evaluation group and all I get from them are non-stop complaints of 'OMG, they took X out!' (another very commonly used command). 'How are we supposed to setup 100 clients without X without going to each and every one in turn?!?' And they keep reporting these issues and the biggest problem of all, they keep getting ignored! Then I dare ask; 'Why does M$ employ these testers at all when they don't listen to a word they say unless it is pure praise?'. I heard from one of them that once his job was threatened if he didn't talk 'nicely' about the new products. His reply was 'I am not here to be nice to the company, I am here to test the product and give you my results. Right now I do not have joy with it on a professional level'. I'm pretty sure, but not 100%, that his area of investigation was in the backup and networking side of server versions using multiple boxes.

M$ is turning everything into a click-festival. It's ridiculous. In Office 2000 for example, you could do any number of functions directly from the top of the screen via the toolbars available for various features. Now with 2007 I think it started, you have to click over to the right tab, down to the right function, then what you wanted. First you have to know where all that crap is. We back-loaded to older office versions at work and/or even switched to other options due to productivity issues with the newer versions.

The problem we have with windows 8 is they are taking away even more productivity from various different work groups from engineers to IT professionals, etc. For my gaming rig at home, it's not horrible. But for anything professional, I do not see it getting adopted at all. Now this was all rather early in their testing cycle and I haven't talked to any of those guys in quite a while to be honest. Perhaps they have fixed a lot of those problems. But the way they were talking (over a 5-month period last time we got together), nothing was changing... If you really wanna know, I can shoot an email to them and see what they say.

And it doesn't matter what the end-user likes to be honest. The corporations are where M$ makes their bottom line. I do not see any of them adopting this anytime soon. They are also the slowest to move. Heck, a TON of companies are still using Windows XP and only now validating Windows 7 for the in-house software needs. And in some cases, their software won't work on Windows 7. Sounds odd but that is the field that I myself work in. And sometimes, it just simply doesn't work and re-writing or compiling a tool made possibly a decade ago just isn't always in the cards. And these are relatively simple transitions from XP to 7. But 7 (or gosh, XP) to 8... That's a massive change 'behind the sceens'.

I could give a crap about Metro. I don't like it myself but it's not the factor that is going to destroy Windows 8 itself. And the biggest problem is MS's own testers were screaming at them about these problems from the start and simply told to shut up. Yet again, another example of a company not paying attention to the people they are paying to do the job they were hired for... Unfortunately, all too common today.
Score
October 15, 2012 7:40:07 PM

Switching off the UI is just stupid!

I mean, it's like buying a house with a main feature - a swimmingpool but never use the pool! What's the point? Just a waste of time and money.

Then you might say "but I like the other small features in W8, such as lesser memory usage etc". However personally, I wouldn't buy a Ferrari just for the sake of the rims. Maybe it's just me but it's not like W7 is begging to be put out of its misery...
Score
Anonymous
October 15, 2012 8:15:19 PM

evga_fanSwitching off the UI is just stupid!.

Complaining about something you can change, matter of fact not buy, is pure absurdity.
Score
October 15, 2012 8:18:27 PM

"Why don't you give me half the marketing money you were gonna bet on Windows 8. And we'll go out back, I'll kick ya in the nuts, and we'll call it a day?!" - Vegas Vacation (Variation)
Score
October 15, 2012 8:21:33 PM

just give us a SP2 for windows 7 that makes things faster. Windows 8 will be great on touchscreens but most of us enthusiasts dont have one
Score
October 15, 2012 8:27:19 PM

fayzaanWell then stay old! bwahahah, the rest of the world will be moving forward...after all that is how the tech industry works (it moves forward all the time).

There are two definitions that you're blurring together here. There's "moving forward", aka progressive, and then there's actual progress. Moving forward can be confused with the definition of progressive, meaning any change must be good as long as there's change (whether it's warranted or even wanted). Progress has actual changes for the better that are wanted and is literally, an improvement. Plus, it's not actually considered moving forward if Windows 9 looks to backtrack a bit and remedy what went wrong in version 8 (looking forward to this :)  ).
Score
October 15, 2012 8:30:22 PM

hydac7 said:
and/or a SP4 for XP (32bit) and/or a SP3 for XP (64bit) and voila problem solved :D  :) 

i didnt like xp that much. but i seee your point
Score
October 15, 2012 8:43:36 PM

Yes the start menu was inefficient, but a touch UI is not the answer. You also have to keep it simple for the older generation.

I have tried Win8, for the most I don't hate it. Win7 is perfect though. As a technician, I love how easy it is to restart and shut down a computer. As people have suggested, they should let you have the option for a desktop or a touch screen. Not many companies will 'upgrade' to windows 8.

I am surprised to see that they say it is not used often. I see most people open things through the start menu rather than a more efficient, yet more complicated way. Some of us don't like to clutter our desktops and task bars with icons, so we use the start menu. With the search function of Win7 is really is a piece of cake, it is unfortunate that most users don't realise they can use it.
Score
Anonymous
October 15, 2012 11:14:09 PM

Bob and Vista had a child and named it Metro Modern Microsoft the 8th! With Windows ME named as the guardian! Look Jerry and Elaine come and see the Baby, Uggo, that is some baby, Owoooo! it's a looker all right! Why it's bimodal, call and exorcist!
Score
October 16, 2012 12:35:13 AM

@caedenv its change. they dont like change. Unless its making one company to make a suppiror product to a company that R&D money > all the revenue of a much smaller company.
Score
October 16, 2012 2:54:52 AM

Metro is good when you aren't actually sitting at your PC to do work, like when you wanna quickly play a song to someone. Desktop without the startbar is more efficient. Cross platform with tablets and phones will be awesome, and Apple spends more than that on marketing in two years, let alone Win8's 3 year marketing run up.

Apples marketing budget per year over the last 5 years averages out at around $750m-800m a year, so I really don't see what the fuss is about.
Score
October 16, 2012 3:04:08 AM

SirGCal said:
Actually, that is not the point. If that was all that was different, we could live with it. But the lack of commands are the problem. When an IT professional wants to get the IP address of a box, they don't open the control panel, go to networking, right-click for preferences, etc. They do Start->run->ipconfig /all (or /release or /renew, etc) or cmd and then ipconfig from there. And when they set up scripts to do a domain full of computers, they can't do a GUI-click. It has to be commands. ...

M$ is turning everything into a click-festival. ... Now with 2007 I think it started, you have to click over to the right tab, down to the right function, then what you wanted. First you have to know where all that crap is. ...

The problem we have with windows 8 is they are taking away even more productivity ...

And it doesn't matter what the end-user likes to be honest. The corporations are where M$ makes their bottom line. I do not see any of them adopting this anytime soon. ...

I completely agree with you on so many points. Commands make it much easier for professionals and advance power users, especially when troubleshooting for the average users in the office. Like you said, it is about productivity; XP was very stable & W7 is worth the upgrade for many business/education environments.
Click-fest's are most useful when starting/executing VERY common tasks like web browsers, email, and office apps. Unfortunately, when users put TOO many shortcuts on their desktop, they lose track of where the shortcut is.
One part I do not completely agree with you is regarding end-users. Although businesses are the source of big money, if employees do not like the OS at work, they might not want to upgrade/recommend PCs at home.

anti-painkilla said:
Yes the start menu was inefficient, but a touch UI is not the answer. You also have to keep it simple for the older generation.

I have tried Win8, for the most I don't hate it. Win7 is perfect though. As a technician, I love how easy it is to restart and shut down a computer. As people have suggested, they should let you have the option for a desktop or a touch screen. Not many companies will 'upgrade' to windows 8.

I am surprised to see that they say it is not used often. I see most people open things through the start menu rather than a more efficient, yet more complicated way. Some of us don't like to clutter our desktops and task bars with icons, so we use the start menu. With the search function of Win7 is really is a piece of cake, it is unfortunate that most users don't realise they can use it.

The Start Menu is useful when you need it. I think it is a great place to place everything you need that is not used often. The programs used most often should reside where it is easiest for the user to find.
Score
Anonymous
October 16, 2012 3:41:32 AM

I'm going to take a gamble that MS will bring back the start menu in a service pack, and pick up a new SSD and win8 for my desktop in a couple weeks. In the mean time I'll just use some 3rd party start menu software. They're getting me with that upgrade deal. Going from home to pro for that amount of money is just about worth being an early adopter.
Score
!