max partition size etc.

I've got an old PC on the bench / AMDK6/2 500mhz / 192 mb 168pin 66mhz
sdram - {hd goes CLACK..CLACK CRUNCH RATTLE RATTLE !!), about to fit new
eIDE hd / 80gb Maxtor. I dug out an old W98se boot floppy I made a while
ago - on it I wrote "fdisk.exe for hd's larger than 64gb," ...what's was
the largest drive I can make on this hard disk ? Long time since
reinstalling a W98 machine :-)

regards, Richard
10 answers Last reply
More about partition size

    Win98SE and the fdisk you have supports partitions up to 127.5GB. However,
    the question is does your bios.

    You may want to check the support at the motherboard manufacturers site to
    see what size partition the motherboard bios supports.

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP
    "RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've got an old PC on the bench / AMDK6/2 500mhz / 192 mb 168pin 66mhz
    > sdram - {hd goes CLACK..CLACK CRUNCH RATTLE RATTLE !!), about to fit new
    > eIDE hd / 80gb Maxtor. I dug out an old W98se boot floppy I made a while
    > ago - on it I wrote "fdisk.exe for hd's larger than 64gb," ...what's was
    > the largest drive I can make on this hard disk ? Long time since
    > reinstalling a W98 machine :-)
    >
    > regards, Richard

    Woe is me :-( ...I think the damned P5A has a ROM bios on it "V1007.A",
    (not a reflashable one)
    Asus have really tarted up their site, and I found old talk on the web where
    people had had trouble getting P5A-B's to recognize an 80gb hd. bios
    version 1011_005 looks like it'll support the drive but, I can't find on the
    Asus site, or pin down the correct version elsewhere, the correct Award
    flasher programme. I've tried a couple and they report that something's
    wrong. ...and distant bells are ringing, waded through the Asus P5A
    motherboard manual and can't find anything about a physical jumper that
    needs to be removed or connected / to enable flashing, and I don't think
    there's a software switch in bios to prevent flashing...or am I missing
    something somewhere ? I have a feeling that I tried to update the bios on
    this machine a few years ago and couldn't !

    regards, Richard

    ....I wonder where I could get an Award EEPROM for this board ?

    RJK wrote:
    > Woe is me :-( ...I think the damned P5A has a ROM bios on it "V1007.A",
    > (not a reflashable one)

    If that is the case? .. you'll have to get a replacement chip i guess,
    but else ..

    > Asus have really tarted up their site, and I found old talk on the web where
    > people had had trouble getting P5A-B's to recognize an 80gb hd. bios
    > version 1011_005 looks like it'll support the drive but, I can't find on the
    > Asus site, or pin down the correct version elsewhere, the correct Award
    > flasher programme. I've tried a couple and they report that something's

    here you go ..
    <http://support.asus.com/download/download_item.aspx?model=P5A&type=Latest&SLanguage=en-us>
    with <http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock7/ali/p5a/1011-005.zip>
    and
    <http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?no=541&SLanguage=en-us>
    with <ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/mb/flash/aflash221.zip>

    Note that the latest one is a FTP-link. But i just confirmed that both
    downloads work.

    > flasher programme. I've tried a couple and they report that something's
    > wrong. ...and distant bells are ringing, waded through the Asus P5A
    > motherboard manual and can't find anything about a physical jumper that
    > needs to be removed or connected / to enable flashing, and I don't think
    > there's a software switch in bios to prevent flashing...or am I missing
    > something somewhere ? I have a feeling that I tried to update the bios on
    > this machine a few years ago and couldn't !

    I won't DL and read the manual for you, i suggest you head over to the
    <news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus> newsgroup and ask for help in
    there if the above links don't help you out.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    ....oh blow it ! ...I'll put in an IDE pci card !

    regards, Richard

    > Woe is me :-( ...I think the damned P5A has a ROM bios on it "V1007.A",
    > (not a reflashable one)
    > Asus have really tarted up their site, and I found old talk on the web
    > where people had had trouble getting P5A-B's to recognize an 80gb hd.
    > bios version 1011_005 looks like it'll support the drive but, I can't find
    > on the Asus site, or pin down the correct version elsewhere, the correct
    > Award flasher programme. I've tried a couple and they report that
    > something's wrong. ...and distant bells are ringing, waded through the
    > Asus P5A motherboard manual and can't find anything about a physical
    > jumper that needs to be removed or connected / to enable flashing, and I
    > don't think there's a software switch in bios to prevent flashing...or am
    > I missing something somewhere ? I have a feeling that I tried to update
    > the bios on this machine a few years ago and couldn't !
    >
    > regards, Richard
    >
    > ...I wonder where I could get an Award EEPROM for this board ?
    >

    > "Jon_Hildrum" <Jon_Hildrum@amsn.com> wrote in message
    >> Win98SE and the fdisk you have supports partitions up to 127.5GB.
    >> However, the question is does your bios.
    >>
    >> You may want to check the support at the motherboard manufacturers site
    >> to see what size partition the motherboard bios supports.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jon Hildrum
    >> DTS MVP
    >> Jon_Hildrum@msn.com
    >> www.hildrum.com
    >> "RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've got an old PC on the bench / AMDK6/2 500mhz / 192 mb 168pin 66mhz
    >>> sdram - {hd goes CLACK..CLACK CRUNCH RATTLE RATTLE !!), about to fit new
    >>> eIDE hd / 80gb Maxtor. I dug out an old W98se boot floppy I made a
    >>> while ago - on it I wrote "fdisk.exe for hd's larger than 64gb,"
    >>> ...what's was the largest drive I can make on this hard disk ? Long
    >>> time since reinstalling a W98 machine :-)
    >>>
    >>> regards, Richard

    "RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >...oh blow it ! ...I'll put in an IDE pci card !
    >
    >regards, Richard

    You could also use the MaxBlast BIOS overlay software to allow the
    drive to work with the older hardware.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    big thanx, will be rummaging around those links - have just used Maxblast4
    overlay job to save buying an antique eeprom or pci-eide card :-)

    regards, Richard

    "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > RJK wrote:
    >> Woe is me :-( ...I think the damned P5A has a ROM bios on it "V1007.A",
    >> (not a reflashable one)
    >
    > If that is the case? .. you'll have to get a replacement chip i guess, but
    > else ..
    >
    >> Asus have really tarted up their site, and I found old talk on the web
    >> where people had had trouble getting P5A-B's to recognize an 80gb hd.
    >> bios version 1011_005 looks like it'll support the drive but, I can't
    >> find on the Asus site, or pin down the correct version elsewhere, the
    >> correct Award flasher programme. I've tried a couple and they report
    >> that something's
    >
    > here you go ..
    > <http://support.asus.com/download/download_item.aspx?model=P5A&type=Latest&SLanguage=en-us>
    > with <http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock7/ali/p5a/1011-005.zip>
    > and
    > <http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?no=541&SLanguage=en-us>
    > with <ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/mb/flash/aflash221.zip>
    >
    > Note that the latest one is a FTP-link. But i just confirmed that both
    > downloads work.
    >
    >> flasher programme. I've tried a couple and they report that something's
    >> wrong. ...and distant bells are ringing, waded through the Asus P5A
    >> motherboard manual and can't find anything about a physical jumper that
    >> needs to be removed or connected / to enable flashing, and I don't think
    >> there's a software switch in bios to prevent flashing...or am I missing
    >> something somewhere ? I have a feeling that I tried to update the bios
    >> on this machine a few years ago and couldn't !
    >
    > I won't DL and read the manual for you, i suggest you head over to the
    > <news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus> newsgroup and ask for help in there
    > if the above links don't help you out.
    >
    > --
    > Please followup in newsgroup.
    > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    ....much obliged and well spotted, and that's what I did in the end -
    downloaded Maxtors Maxblast 4 ISO image - burnt a cd-r and did the overlay
    thing. And VERY "unintuitive," and very poorly labelled in Maxblast4 the
    procedure was too. i.e. not much of a clue that a drive overlay was being
    selected and implemented until up popped a label saying that it had done
    just that !
    That saved a few quid on a pci-ide card :-)
    ....this old P5A / AMD K6/2 500 192mb 100mhz sdram is surpisingly quite
    usable ! W98se's just flown in - am about to stuff in that green cd that
    was free from MS :-)

    regards, Richard

    RJK wrote:
    > ...much obliged and well spotted, and that's what I did in the end -
    > downloaded Maxtors Maxblast 4 ISO image - burnt a cd-r and did the overlay
    > thing. And VERY "unintuitive," and very poorly labelled in Maxblast4 the
    > procedure was too. i.e. not much of a clue that a drive overlay was being
    > selected and implemented until up popped a label saying that it had done
    > just that !
    > That saved a few quid on a pci-ide card :-)
    > ...this old P5A / AMD K6/2 500 192mb 100mhz sdram is surpisingly quite
    > usable ! W98se's just flown in - am about to stuff in that green cd that
    > was free from MS :-)
    >
    > regards, Richard
    >

    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>...oh blow it ! ...I'll put in an IDE pci card !
    >>>
    >>>regards, Richard
    >>>

    >>You could also use the MaxBlast BIOS overlay software to allow the
    >>drive to work with the older hardware.
    >>
    >>Good luck
    >>

    >>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >>--
    >>Microsoft MVP
    >>On-Line Help Computer Service
    >>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >>In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >>http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I've never had a problem with overlays, but it bothers me that a small
    error in the boot block can render my whole disk unreadable.
    Don't forget to backup your system regularly 'cause normal recovery
    tools ain't gonna work.
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    Hi Mike

    I remember always hating the idea of a "drive overlay," and I've just come a
    bit of a cropper with it. Have installed W98se and tried installing the Ali
    bus master drivers ...Ontrack overlay does NOT like them at all, boot-up
    stalls, had to switch off | pwr-up | hold Ctrl | go to dos prompt and
    scanreg /restore to get back up and running ! ...I think I'll leave those
    out :-) ...never had a problem with those in the long distant past on non
    "overlayed" drives. Gosh !! all this W98 stuff is coming back to me :-)

    ...now I wonder if the pci/AGP bridge'll go in, and why oh why did I throw
    away those old Voodoo discs ! ...yes ...it's got Voodoo 3000 3dfx card in
    it !
    ....why oh why didn't I just say "NO" ? ...and why did I always supply all
    relevant cd's in the motherboard box just so that the customer could lose
    them !?

    regards, Richard

    RJK wrote:
    > Hi Mike
    >
    > ...now I wonder if the pci/AGP bridge'll go in, and why oh why did I
    > throw away those old Voodoo discs ! ...yes ...it's got Voodoo 3000
    > 3dfx card in it !
    > ...why oh why didn't I just say "NO" ? ...and why did I always
    > supply all relevant cd's in the motherboard box just so that the
    > customer could lose them !?
    >
    > regards, Richard
    x3dfxgamers Voodoolizer 1.05.00 Voodoo3/4/5(tm) für MS WINDOWS 9x/Me
    x3dfxgamers, Inc.
    Website: http://www.voodooalert.de
    - Volle Directx 8.1 Kompatibilität
    Download obtained from VoodooFiles.com

    Voodoo3 Windows(r) 9x Driver Kit
    Voodoo3(tm) Driver kit: 1.06.00

    Voodoo3 DirectX(r) Driver Version: 4.12.01.0638
    V3OCINST.EXE
    Voodoo3 Overclocker Property Page #
    # Author: Gary Peterson #
    # Release: 02-28-2000 #