Desktop items get rearranged

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I sort out my desktop, then every so often I boot up and windows has
resorted the desktop. Why does this happen? TIA.

Richard wrote:
> I sort out my desktop, then every so often I boot up and windows has
> resorted the desktop. Why does this happen? TIA.

That's a common problem on stock units.
To a great extent you can make a few changes to alleviate it from happening
so often. First thing to do is make sure you icon cache is set to a better
level than it was stock, and you can do that by making a simple registry
adjustment. You can either do it manually by using regiedit and going to
this key below and change its numerical part of it to say 2048 like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer
"Max Cached Icons"="2048"

Or, you can make a reg file using notepad and entering this info and save,
then renaming it's extension from txt to reg, and merging it.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer]
"Max Cached Icons"="2048"

Or, since I see you are using OE for your newsreader and so can see and
download it I've attached the same above reg file onto this message, but
note I've attached it as a txt file for good forum etiquette but of course
just rename the extension from .txt to .reg ..and then merge it.

It's also a good idea to occasionally delete your ShellIconCache file so it
starts anew again even with the 2048 setting, and most assuredly with the
4096 setting when full - which by deleting it and starting fresh will give
you quicker icon rendering performance on boot with a slimmer cache.

Rick

ps ..If you want here's just a few of many other sources that talks about
different things which includes the main ones I've already mentioned. I
prefer the 2048 number because it gives the best overall results

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;132668
and/or
http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/Windows/ME/ME_ShellIconCache.htm
and/or
http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php#icons

begin 666 2048 IconCache.txt
M4D5'141)5#0-"@T*6TA+15E?3$]#04Q?34%#2$E.15Q3;V9T=V%R95Q-:6-R
M;W-O9G1<5VEN9&]W<UQ#=7)R96YT5F5R<VEO;EQE>'!L;W)E<ET-"B)-87@@
60V%C:&5D($EC;VYS(CTB,C T."(-"@``
`
end

"Richard" <knot@good.com> wrote in message

> I sort out my desktop, then every so often I boot up and windows has
> resorted the desktop. Why does this happen? TIA.

Right click on an empty patch of desktop and you
see a menu including "Arrange Icons." When this
item's submenu has "Auto Arrange" checked, the
desktop will rearrange menus at every reboot.
You can uncheck it.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

As a workaround, you can use a utility to save and restore your desktop arrangement:
PC Magazine Utility: WinTidy 2.0:

I haven't tried 2.0, but did use WinTidy95, the original version, in Win95 and
Win98.
None of the PC Mag utilities are free anymore....haven't been for a few years:
Annual Subscription ....complete access PCMag Utility Library: $19.97
3 Downloads for $9.97 ....any three downloads from the Utility Library
This File Only.... $5.97

It is apparently also available here:
ftp://cyberia.dnsalias.com/pub/filebase/windows/apps/tools/WINTIDY.ZIP
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Richard" <knot@good.com> wrote in message
> I sort out my desktop, then every so often I boot up and windows has
> resorted the desktop. Why does this happen? TIA.

Try this before you go tinkering in the registry:

Right click on your desktop, aim to Arrange Icons and on
the sub-menu uncheck everything that is checked.
This should allow you to place icons where ever you wish
and find them in the same spot after rebooting.
Just another hint, after making changes to stuff on the desktop,
always right click and do a Refresh.
Dont forget, there are a lot of options there too, you can have
your icons sorted in many different ways.

...Rex..

Rex wrote:
> Try this before you go tinkering in the registry:
>
> Right click on your desktop, aim to Arrange Icons and on
> the sub-menu uncheck everything that is checked.

That is a good idea standard option selection but really has nothing to do
with his problem which no matter how you have those options set it will
still happen if your ShellIconCache limit is max'd and it no longer is
properly able to keep track of icons, and the mixup can occur.

> This should allow you to place icons where ever you wish
> and find them in the same spot after rebooting.
> Just another hint, after making changes to stuff on the desktop,
> always right click and do a Refresh.
> Dont forget, there are a lot of options there too, you can have
> your icons sorted in many different ways.

But again no matter if all those good sense options are made - when the
ShellIconCache limit is reached it will still mix up all his icons - the
only way to fix it as indicated is to move up the cache limit. This is a
common problem that is known and has occurred since day one of W9x, and the
fix has always been the same which is a simple helpful harmless change to
one registry key - even better to also do a periodic delete of the
ShellIconCache file for best overall performance.

Rick

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:08:48 +0100, "Richard" <knot@good.com> wrote:

>I sort out my desktop, then every so often I boot up and windows has
>resorted the desktop. Why does this happen? TIA.

Richard.

That can happen for different reasons. In addition to enlarging the
icon cache and renewing it get Iconrestore, it's free. After
installing the small utility arrange the desktop the way you want it
then right click My Computer or any other desktop system icon and
select "save Icon layout". when they get rearranged this time select
"Restore layout". Any time you change it save it.
I wouldn't be without it.
BTW the Max Cached Icons value data range is between 100 and 4096.
The default value is 500. Try 4096.

RESTORE DESKTOP ICONS
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/iconrestore.html

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer
> "Max Cached Icons"="2048"

I'm assuming "Max Cached Icons" is a registry key and not a folder within
the "explorer" folder.

I get to the "explorer" folder in the registry, but cannot see either a
folder or registry key entitled "Max Cached Icons".

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer
>> "Max Cached Icons"="2048"
>
> I'm assuming "Max Cached Icons" is a registry key and not a folder
> within
> the "explorer" folder.

What are seen as "folders" in the Registry are properly called Keys. No,
the above is not a Registry key. It's a Value in the above cited Key.

> I get to the "explorer" folder in the registry, but cannot see either
> folder or registry key entitled "Max Cached Icons".

The above Value doesn't exist unless you create it. Or rather, the limit
is hard coded elsewhere and can be overridden by this Registry setting.

There are myriad such settings possible in Windows. For this particular
one, I recommend the REG file from Aumha.org,
http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#icons It creates a multiple-choice option
in Folder Options, View tab that lets you easily raise or lower the Max
Cached Icons value. The default value is 4096.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Richard wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer
>> "Max Cached Icons"="2048"
>
> I'm assuming "Max Cached Icons" is a registry key and not a folder within
> the "explorer" folder.
>
> I get to the "explorer" folder in the registry, but cannot see either a
> folder or registry key entitled "Max Cached Icons".
> I'm assuming "Max Cached Icons" is a registry key and not a folder within
> the "explorer" folder.
>
> I get to the "explorer" folder in the registry, but cannot see either a
> folder or registry key entitled "Max Cached Icons".

Yes it's in the registry and you get there by using your systems regedit
program. If you don't know how to do that then maybe it's best to instead
just use the already made easy registry file I had attached on my last
email, just save it to your computer, rename it as mentioned, and then
right click to merge it; by merging that it simply makes the changes 2048
automatically for you. (I preferred to use 2048 because it's more
efficient for a number of good reasons (if a 4096 setting is used and the
cache is full results in icon rendering slowdowns on bootup and
whereabouts)

Everyone that replied here gave a right answer, but it just depended on
more specific details from you which would of narrowed it down to your
specific case and answer; but again they are all correct. One thing is for
certain is that if you have W98 and you have never refreshed you icon cache
as indicated, then you will have that desktop mixed up icon problem sooner
or later along with icons themselves occasionally changing themselves etc,
and so just do the simple procedure of merging the reg file, as well best
to do the other things I've mentioned ..and you will be free from the issue
98% of the time - the only time that will happen now is if you go into
SafeMode or a few other rare functions which can cause just the desktop
icons to get mix up (by two off per row) again - and here for that is where
you can either make a visual screenshot of your Desktop arrangement to have
as a reference template to put back, or you can use that program which Bill
mentioned (as long as you keep it current otherwise you'll be restoring
situations that are old ..same with a physical screenshot but at least
that way you can interplay)

The info from Aumha that Gary just mentioned will do it also but just gives
you more options.

Whatever you want to do is fine.

Rick

> Richard wrote:
> > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer
> >> "Max Cached Icons"="2048"
> >
> > I'm assuming "Max Cached Icons" is a registry key and not a folder
within
> > the "explorer" folder.
> >
> > I get to the "explorer" folder in the registry, but cannot see either a
> > folder or registry key entitled "Max Cached Icons".
> > I'm assuming "Max Cached Icons" is a registry key and not a folder
within
> > the "explorer" folder.
> >
> > I get to the "explorer" folder in the registry, but cannot see either a
> > folder or registry key entitled "Max Cached Icons".
>
> Yes it's in the registry and you get there by using your systems regedit
> program. If you don't know how to do that then maybe it's best to instead
> just use the already made easy registry file I had attached on my last
> email, just save it to your computer, rename it as mentioned, and then
> right click to merge it; by merging that it simply makes the changes 2048
> automatically for you. (I preferred to use 2048 because it's more
> efficient for a number of good reasons (if a 4096 setting is used and the
> cache is full results in icon rendering slowdowns on bootup and
> whereabouts)

Saved your file with a .reg extention and merged. I now see the value in the
registry. Thanks.

Richard wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
[...]

> Saved your file with a .reg extention and merged. I now see the value in
> the registry. Thanks.

It's also good idea to do the rest too, which I hope you did?
Do a Start> Find File Folders> for this file:
ShellIconCache
(it's a hidden file so be sure that you have the option set to see hidden
files so it will show, do that by going to any folders top tab of View>
Folder Options> View> ..and in that list there be sure you have it check'd
to 'Show All Files'. Also UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for Known File Types'
etc... Click Apply and click Okay.
....now you can do the above search for ShellIconCache (Look in (C:)
of course) Delete it, and Start> Shutdown, and when you start back up it
will get recreated fresh from scratch clearing out all the old icon stuff..
...that's what's meant by renewing the icon cache.

Rick

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:30:50 +0100, "Richard" <knot@good.com> wrote:

>"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Richard wrote:
>> > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

>> > I'm assuming "Max Cached Icons" is a registry key and not a folder
>within
>> > the "explorer" folder.
>> >
>> > I get to the "explorer" folder in the registry, but cannot see either a
>> > folder or registry key entitled "Max Cached Icons".
>> > I'm assuming "Max Cached Icons" is a registry key and not a folder
>within
>> > the "explorer" folder.
>> >
>> > I get to the "explorer" folder in the registry, but cannot see either a
>> > folder or registry key entitled "Max Cached Icons".
>>
>> Yes it's in the registry and you get there by using your systems regedit
>> program. If you don't know how to do that then maybe it's best to instead
>> just use the already made easy registry file I had attached on my last
>> email, just save it to your computer, rename it as mentioned, and then
>> right click to merge it; by merging that it simply makes the changes 2048
>> automatically for you. (I preferred to use 2048 because it's more
>> efficient for a number of good reasons (if a 4096 setting is used and the
>> cache is full results in icon rendering slowdowns on bootup and
>> whereabouts)
>
>Saved your file with a .reg extention and merged. I now see the value in the
>registry. Thanks.

Richard,

Renewing the Cache and expanding it takes care of a number of
problems but if you go to Safe Mode or change screen resolution the
icons will be re-arranged again. Try IconRestore as I mentioned in
my post for when that happens. Save the layout anytime you add or
change icons.

> Richard wrote:
> > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> > Saved your file with a .reg extention and merged. I now see the value in
> > the registry. Thanks.
>
> It's also good idea to do the rest too, which I hope you did?
> Do a Start> Find File Folders> for this file:
> ShellIconCache
> (it's a hidden file so be sure that you have the option set to see hidden
> files so it will show, do that by going to any folders top tab of View>
> Folder Options> View> ..and in that list there be sure you have it check'd
> to 'Show All Files'. Also UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for Known File Types'
> etc... Click Apply and click Okay.
> ...now you can do the above search for ShellIconCache (Look in (C:)
> of course) Delete it, and Start> Shutdown, and when you start back up it
> will get recreated fresh from scratch clearing out all the old icon
stuff..
> ..that's what's meant by renewing the icon cache.
>
> Rick

Okay, I've now done three things:

1 Added registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer
"Max Cached Icons"="2048"

2 Renewed the icon cache

3 Installed Icon Restore.

Thanks everybody.

Rich.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:08:48 +0100, "Richard" <knot@good.com> wrote:

>I sort out my desktop, then every so often I boot up and windows has
>resorted the desktop. Why does this happen? TIA.

This is not likely to be related to ShellIconCache, which holds the
bitmaps of icons for faster display. Suspect a ShellIconCache issue
if you see the wrong icons for files, e.g. all .doc files now have a
Quake icon, and so on.

The basic problem in the case you describe is using finite global
storage (in this case, a fixed number of "parking bays" in the
registry) to hold an unbounded number of per-instance data (in this
case, the number of "folders" that you have viewed).

What happens is that only the fixed number of "parking bays" can be
"remembered", when it comes to how items in a folder view are
displayed. When you view more than this number of folders, the oldest
remembered settings are discarded on a First-In, First-Out basis.

In Win95, the desktop was treated as just another "folder". In Win98,
the number of "parking bays" was increased and AFAICR some special
arrangement was supposed to have been made to remember the desktop
layout, even if "too many" folders have been viewed.

In any event, once a folder's view settings are purged, the folder's
view will revert to some default arrangement. This is one of three
things that can cause your desktop to "lose the plot".

The other two situations are; selecting Auto-Arrange, and having
Explorer.exe crash. Whenever Explorer.exe crashes and is restarted,
the desktop usually falls back to a default icon arrangement.

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
The memes will inherit the Earth

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:08:48 +0100, "Richard" <knot@good.com> wrote:
>

>>I sort out my desktop, then every so often I boot up and windows has
>>resorted the desktop. Why does this happen? TIA.
>

> This is not likely to be related to ShellIconCache, which holds the
> bitmaps of icons for faster display. Suspect a ShellIconCache issue
> if you see the wrong icons for files, e.g. all .doc files now have a
> Quake icon, and so on.
>
> The basic problem in the case you describe is using finite global
> storage (in this case, a fixed number of "parking bays" in the
> registry) to hold an unbounded number of per-instance data (in this
> case, the number of "folders" that you have viewed).

And more excellent advice.

Thanks from another user who has wondered about this phenomenon.

A while back, I decided the hell with it and switched to viewing
the icons ordered by name. No sorting chores, and I soon got
used to locating things I wanted (I keep around 80 icons on my
desktop).

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:08:48 +0100, "Richard" <knot@good.com> wrote:
>
>>I sort out my desktop, then every so often I boot up and windows has
>>resorted the desktop. Why does this happen? TIA.
>
> This is not likely to be related to ShellIconCache, which holds the
> bitmaps of icons for faster display. Suspect a ShellIconCache issue
> if you see the wrong icons for files, e.g. all .doc files now have a
> Quake icon, and so on.

For sure, but also I've seen when the ShelliconCache was full it could
sometimes scramble the Desktop layout too.

> The basic problem in the case you describe is using finite global
> storage (in this case, a fixed number of "parking bays" in the
> registry) to hold an unbounded number of per-instance data (in this
> case, the number of "folders" that you have viewed).
>
> What happens is that only the fixed number of "parking bays" can be
> "remembered", when it comes to how items in a folder view are
> displayed. When you view more than this number of folders, the oldest
> remembered settings are discarded on a First-In, First-Out basis.
>
> In Win95, the desktop was treated as just another "folder". In Win98,
> the number of "parking bays" was increased and AFAICR some special
> arrangement was supposed to have been made to remember the desktop
> layout, even if "too many" folders have been viewed.

It sounds like you're talking about the StreamMRU 199 cached entries issue
where it recycles itself to discard the last unused folder remembrances,
but with the Desktop since it continually at every boot comes up that
folder should always stay up front and current in that regard.

The other issue with the main folders reverting to WebView because of the
same StreamMRU cache limitation, is to edit the desktop.ini in each of
these 4 folders:
C:\Program Files
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\System
C:\Windows\System32
...and remark out ; the below lines to remove it from the whole operation
altogether, and then no more webview reverting can happen.

;[{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]
;PersistMoniker=file://Folder.htt

The only time the Desktop icons get scrambled for me anymore as you say
below and what I've noticed is in specific instances of an Explorer crash
will do it; also rarely sometimes if an error occurs during screen
resolution changes; also sometimes a SafeMode operation; and not to forget
that auto-daylight savings option in 9x if enabled let's you wake to find
your icons scrambled on a Jan 1 bootup.. I may have forgotten one or two
more instances.

> In any event, once a folder's view settings are purged, the folder's
> view will revert to some default arrangement. This is one of three
> things that can cause your desktop to "lose the plot".
>
> The other two situations are; selecting Auto-Arrange, and having
> Explorer.exe crash. Whenever Explorer.exe crashes and is restarted,
> the desktop usually falls back to a default icon arrangement.
>

>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
> The memes will inherit the Earth
>>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:45:59 -0400, "Rick Chauvin"
>cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:08:48 +0100, "Richard" wrote:

>>>I sort out my desktop, then every so often I boot up and windows has
>>>resorted the desktop. Why does this happen? TIA.

>> This is not likely to be related to ShellIconCache, which holds the
>> bitmaps of icons for faster display. Suspect a ShellIconCache issue
>> if you see the wrong icons for files, e.g. all .doc files now have a
>> Quake icon, and so on.

>For sure, but also I've seen when the ShelliconCache was full it could
>sometimes scramble the Desktop layout too.

I don't think there's cause and effect there; more likely concurrent
pathology, or a more oblique relationship (e.g. Explorer.exe crashes
on a malformed ShellIconCache, restarts, and because the shell
restarts, the icon positions are re-defaulted)

>> When you view more than this number of folders, the oldest
>> remembered settings are discarded on a First-In, First-Out basis.
>>
>> In Win95, the desktop was treated as just another "folder". In Win98,
>> the number of "parking bays" was increased and AFAICR some special
>> arrangement was supposed to have been made to remember the desktop
>> layout, even if "too many" folders have been viewed.

>It sounds like you're talking about the StreamMRU 199 cached entries issue
>where it recycles itself to discard the last unused folder remembrances,
>but with the Desktop since it continually at every boot comes up that
>folder should always stay up front and current in that regard.

Yes, I'm talking about the Streams issue (couldn't remember what it
was called, thanks; I get them confused with Bags). And yes, you'd
think it would be hard to cruise 200 folders in one Windows session,
such that the desktop would be the oldest and get FIFO'd off.

Still, at the time, that was what the problem was attributed to.

>The other issue with the main folders reverting to WebView because of the
>same StreamMRU cache limitation, is to edit the desktop.ini in each of
>these 4 folders:
>C:\Program Files
>C:\Windows
>C:\Windows\System
>C:\Windows\System32
>..and remark out ; the below lines to remove it from the whole operation
>altogether, and then no more webview reverting can happen.

>;[{5984FFE0-28D4-11CF-AE66-08002B2E1262}]
>;PersistMoniker=file://Folder.htt

Brilliant, thanks - I forgot about the wretched Active Desktop menace.
I find I can kill that settings reversion by ensuring there are no
..htm or .jpg in the Wallpaper folder, as it's Windows98.htm that's the
usual culprit it defaults to - a plan blue screen with a Windows 98
logo top right. Whoo-hoo, gotta have that, even if it means opening
up yet another dropper risk. Not!

>The only time the Desktop icons get scrambled for me anymore as you say
>below and what I've noticed is in specific instances of an Explorer crash
>will do it; also rarely sometimes if an error occurs during screen
>resolution changes; also sometimes a SafeMode operation; and not to forget
>that auto-daylight savings option in 9x if enabled let's you wake to find
>your icons scrambled on a Jan 1 bootup.. I may have forgotten one or two
>more instances.

In my Win9x days, I used to use Elizabeth Nguyen's desktop icon
position remembering thingie, which would remember different icon
layouts for different resolutions, and apply these appropriately.
There are other tools that do the same thing.

Safe Mode creates another persistent risk; after any Safe Mode
session, the "show full path" setting is lost, and stays lost in
normal mode until you reassert it again.

Trsut me, I won't make a mistake!

TRENDING THREADS