Home Network

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 20, 2005 5:02:18 PM

I am trying to network my wife's Window 98 Second Edition computer with my
laptop and desktop (both running Windows XP), I can see my laptop and
desktop from her system, but I can not see her hard drive from either of my
Win XP systems, I told her system to file share her hard drive, but why
can't I see it from my XP systems?

I have left this post in the Window XP newsgroup without any help, does any
one here have any good ideas that might help?

Robert

More about : home network

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:02:19 PM

Are you using NetBeui? I have a Win98 PC networked with some WinXP
PCs, and as I recall the setup, I had to install NetBeui on the WinXP
systems. NetBeui is on the WinXP distribution disks but it is not a
normal p[art of the WinXP package, so you have to install it manually.

See the website called "World of Windows Networking" for detailed
step-by-step instructions.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:02:19 PM

"Robert Bodling" <robertbodling@yahoo.com> wrote
>I am trying to network my wife's Window 98 Second Edition computer with my
>laptop and desktop (both running Windows XP), I can see my laptop and
>desktop from her system, but I can not see her hard drive from either of my
>Win XP systems, I told her system to file share her hard drive, but why
>can't I see it from my XP systems?
>
> I have left this post in the Window XP newsgroup without any help, does
> any one here have any good ideas that might help?
>
> Robert

You didn't say how you did the setup, but I do it by running the XP Network
Setup Wizard on all machines. My Computer->My Network Places->"Set up a
home or small office network." XP will prompt to make a diskette to use on
on any non XP machines. Use the same Workgroup name on the '98 machine.
July 20, 2005 5:02:19 PM

In article <uXrDe.210164$6g3.65474@tornado.texas.rr.com>, "Robert
Bodling" <robertbodling@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I am trying to network my wife's Window 98 Second Edition computer with my
>laptop and desktop (both running Windows XP), I can see my laptop and
>desktop from her system, but I can not see her hard drive from either of my
>Win XP systems, I told her system to file share her hard drive, but why
>can't I see it from my XP systems?
>
>I have left this post in the Window XP newsgroup without any help, does any
>one here have any good ideas that might help?
>
>Robert

How are you trying to see your wife's hard drive from your computers?
What are you clicking, and what exactly happens when you do it? If
there's an error message, what does it say?

Can her computer see itself and its shared hard drive in Network
Neighborhood? If not, something's wrong with the sharing setup.

Try this on the XP systems: type the name of your wife's computer in
the Start | Run box in this format:

\\computer

That should show her shared hard drive.

Make sure that a firewall program (ZoneAlarm, Norton, PC-cillin,
McAfee, etc) on her computer isn't blocking access from the network.
--
Best Wishes,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
July 20, 2005 5:02:20 PM

Bill Starbuck wrote:
> Are you using NetBeui? I have a Win98 PC networked with some WinXP
> PCs, and as I recall the setup, I had to install NetBeui on the WinXP
> systems. NetBeui is on the WinXP distribution disks but it is not a
> normal p[art of the WinXP package, so you have to install it manually.
>
> See the website called "World of Windows Networking" for detailed
> step-by-step instructions.
>
> Bill Starbuck (MVP)
You may be better off by uninstalling NetBui on your Windows 98 system.
NetBios over IP has pretty much superseded NetBui.

JB
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:02:20 PM

In article <grksd1dmrhakout60lni4prbf3gaismbt2@4ax.com>, Bill Starbuck
<no_email@please.com> wrote:
>>I am trying to network my wife's Window 98 Second Edition computer with my
>>laptop and desktop (both running Windows XP), I can see my laptop and
>>desktop from her system, but I can not see her hard drive from either of my
>>Win XP systems, I told her system to file share her hard drive, but why
>>can't I see it from my XP systems?
>>
>>I have left this post in the Window XP newsgroup without any help, does any
>>one here have any good ideas that might help?
>>
>>Robert
>
>Are you using NetBeui? I have a Win98 PC networked with some WinXP
>PCs, and as I recall the setup, I had to install NetBeui on the WinXP
>systems. NetBeui is on the WinXP distribution disks but it is not a
>normal p[art of the WinXP package, so you have to install it manually.
>
>See the website called "World of Windows Networking" for detailed
>step-by-step instructions.
>
>Bill Starbuck (MVP)

There's no need for NetBEUI, Bill. All versions of Windows can
network with each other using TCP/IP as the only protocol. If NetBEUI
were necessary, Microsoft wouldn't have dropped support for it in
Windows XP and exiled it to an obscure folder on the Windows XP CD.

If Robert's computers were using incompatible protocols, neither one
would be able to see the other.
--
Best Wishes,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
July 20, 2005 5:02:21 PM

"You may be better off by uninstalling NetBui on your Windows 98
system. NetBios over IP has pretty much superseded NetBui."

In what respect would I be better off?

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:44:19 PM

>There's no need for NetBEUI, Bill. All versions of Windows can
>network with each other using TCP/IP as the only protocol. If NetBEUI
>were necessary, Microsoft wouldn't have dropped support for it in
>Windows XP and exiled it to an obscure folder on the Windows XP CD.

My memory of what I did is unclear because I did it several years ago.
I may have emphasized NetBeui because Steve Gibson said to do so. At
least a couple of years ago, Gibson was urging use of NetBeui in place
of TCP/IP.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:44:20 PM

In article <a43td1hortrp2h6ptchmv0n0uf69b2r53r@4ax.com>, Bill Starbuck
<no_email@please.com> wrote:
>>There's no need for NetBEUI, Bill. All versions of Windows can
>>network with each other using TCP/IP as the only protocol. If NetBEUI
>>were necessary, Microsoft wouldn't have dropped support for it in
>>Windows XP and exiled it to an obscure folder on the Windows XP CD.
>
>My memory of what I did is unclear because I did it several years ago.
>I may have emphasized NetBeui because Steve Gibson said to do so. At
>least a couple of years ago, Gibson was urging use of NetBeui in place
>of TCP/IP.
>
>Bill Starbuck (MVP)

I understand, Bill. IMHO, Steve Gibson is better at self-promotion
than at providing reliable and unbiased networking advice. There are
security issues with using TCP/IP for file and printer sharing in some
very unusual network configurations, but they're easy to deal with.