Amd/Intel Something to point out.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I suggest to every Intel or Amd fanboys Not to buy the frist batch of new chips. As we look in history of chips There been bugs New CPU. Some where In AMD Opteron. Some where in the Intel 1.13 and they had to do recalls. Best idea for everyone is this. Wait 1 to 2 Months after the chips are released. Also The price might drop too.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I suggest to every Intel or Amd fanboys Not to buy the frist batch of new chips. As we look in history of chips There been bugs New CPU. Some where In AMD Opteron. Some where in the Intel 1.13 and they had to do recalls. Best idea for everyone is this. Wait 1 to 2 Months after the chips are released. Also The price might drop too.

While this may be true, how is Intel or AMD gonna find out about these bugs if no one buys their chips?

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You ever hear of cars being recalled. Due to defective brakes or eletrical. I always like to wait. Like if Amd came out today. I would wait 5 to 6 months and buy It. I do this When buying a new car or truck.

People can see how new chips act with software and Hardware.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
There been bugs New CPU. Some where In AMD Opteron. Some where in the Intel 1.13 and they had to do recalls.

No offence but Intel 1,13Ghz P3 were end of the line cpu, not new cpu. They were overheating which cause the bugs.

For those here reading french here, go check this page: http://www.x86-secret.com/?option=newsd&nid=938

It's about exactly possibly the same problem touching K8 now with some recall. VERY INTERESTING.

I have to say that it's the exception to get cpu with bugs on released. And with new way of testing cpu before release it should be even less frequent.

I'll personally wait to get either Conroe or A64X2-DDR2 only to get opinion from different source different than the review done in haste to be first to post them. To step back is the best way to get the whole picture if you see what I mean.

P.S.: For those not reading french, I'd suggest to try google to translate the page I posted above. That site is usually very well informed about anything it released.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
There been bugs New CPU. Some where In AMD Opteron. Some where in the Intel 1.13 and they had to do recalls.

No offence but Intel 1,13Ghz P3 were end of the line cpu, not new cpu. They were overheating which cause the bugs.

For those here reading french here, go check this page: http://www.x86-secret.com/?option=newsd&nid=938

It's about exactly possibly the same problem touching K8 now with some recall. VERY INTERESTING.

I have to say that it's the exception to get cpu with bugs on released. And with new way of testing cpu before release it should be even less frequent.

I'll personally wait to get either Conroe or A64X2-DDR2 only to get opinion from different source different than the review done in haste to be first to post them. To step back is the best way to get the whole picture if you see what I mean.

P.S.: For those not reading french, I'd suggest to try google to translate the page I posted above. That site is usually very well informed about anything it released.

Can you suggest a site to translate your post? The syntax is somewhat ahhhh....confusing

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Have you guys heard about AMD just sending out like 3,000 DEFECTIVE opteron chips? Some asshole is getting fired.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/04/28/amd_opteron_fpu_bug/
DOH

YYD

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Oh, don't worry... This "bug" comes from a defective test station that have passed as "hi-grade" some Opteron coming from a "mid-grade" production batch. That's.
Someone will get a**kicked, at least I hope!

vulefu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
In replay to AtolSammeek

When the fly get into chip while he is producing you get bug in chip.

But look that from the bright side you get A.I. with that chip.
---------
Men as you thinking on something right now the chips are thesting with something you will newer seen in your life.

borandi

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Always wait until a few people have got it and the benchmarks are posted before considering any new chip is advice I tought myself! You really think this thread was necessary? Those who jump in are clearly idiots and deserve to get their money wiped from their credit cards.

And if all goes well, then you make an informed decision. Anyone who does otherwise is either a moron, or rich.

from what I could understand from both articles (I can read French, the 2 articles are talking about the same defective batch) you would encounter the bug when running a very tight instruction loop millions of times (without any other instruction thrown in) to create a local overheating.
- if the chip is kept cool enough, the bug may not ever manifest itself
- no consumer, database, programming or financial use would trigger it, since the operation used would have to either be a very very VERY long benchmark or cipher operation.

It's like running your car on 2 wheels without stopping for 5000 km and complain that a tire exploded.

Mardark

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
A better reason to wait, is so that all the benchmark results get out, and then the real fun begins, regardless of bugs or not.

...... falling CPU prices