Installating Norton Internet Security 2005

When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the following
message:
There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had me try
several things including making sure all files were old Norton removed,
etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am still receiving
the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any suggestions?

Return NIS 2005, get a refund and use an alternative app. NIS 2005 will clog
the registry, slow down the performance of the computer and cause problems to
which a normal response from Symantec support is to uninstall/ reinstall. Then
the problems begin anew.

Other av apps suggested are:
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php free

A good firewall suggested is Zone Alarm (free):
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=staticcomp_za

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"lid6pl6" <lid6pl6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the following
> message:
> There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had me try
> several things including making sure all files were old Norton removed,
> etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am still receiving
> the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any suggestions?

Norton is junk these days...I've had so many problems with it...just junk & lousy support.

"lid6pl6" <lid6pl6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08EBA591-4156-4660-9120-73B9A79109D4@microsoft.com...
| When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the following
| message:
| There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had me try
| several things including making sure all files were old Norton removed,
| etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am still receiving
| the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any suggestions?

Windows version?

What other Norton applications were previously installed? What other
anti-virus applications? Did you uninstall them before installing NIS 2005?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

lid6pl6 wrote:
> When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the
> following message:
> There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had me
> try several things including making sure all files were old Norton
> removed, etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am
> still receiving the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any
> suggestions?

We are using Windows 98. We had Norton Internet Security 2003 installed. We
deleted all files/folders with Symantec in the name, including temp files.
We also removed all Norton programs and ran several Symantec utilities to
remove old versions of Norton software. We also edited the register to
remove Symantec stuff. We also reinstalled Microsoft Windows Installer.
Thanks.

"PA Bear" wrote:

> Windows version?
>
> What other Norton applications were previously installed? What other
> anti-virus applications? Did you uninstall them before installing NIS 2005?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
> lid6pl6 wrote:
> > When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the
> > following message:
> > There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had me
> > try several things including making sure all files were old Norton
> > removed, etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am
> > still receiving the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any
> > suggestions?

DONT
DONT
DONT
install norton

--

Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

"lid6pl6" <lid6pl6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the
following
> message:
> There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had me
try
> several things including making sure all files were old Norton removed,
> etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am still
receiving
> the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any suggestions?

Did you first use Rnav2003.exe
(http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606) and
then RnisUPG.exe
(http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001090510510636)
*before* installing NIS 2005?

If not and if you still want to run NIS2005, you're best bet would be to:

1. Uninstall NIS 2005 via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

2. Run Rnav2003.exe & reboot. See the above link. Follow all instructions.

3. Run RnisUPG.exe & reboot. See the above link. Follow all instructions.

4. If you had another anti-virus app installed prior to NIS2003, uninstall
it via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

5. Run CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) & reboot.

6. Reinstall NIS2005.
--
~PA Bear

lid6pl6 wrote:
> We are using Windows 98. We had Norton Internet Security 2003 installed.
> We deleted all files/folders with Symantec in the name, including temp
> files. We also removed all Norton programs and ran several Symantec
> utilities to remove old versions of Norton software. We also edited the
> register to remove Symantec stuff. We also reinstalled Microsoft Windows
> Installer. Thanks.
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
> > Windows version?
> >
> > What other Norton applications were previously installed? What other
> > anti-virus applications? Did you uninstall them before installing NIS
> > 2005? --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > lid6pl6 wrote:
> > > When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the
> > > following message:
> > > There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had
> > > me try several things including making sure all files were old Norton
> > > removed, etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am
> > > still receiving the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any
> > > suggestions?

Why doesnt someone point one of their Reps' to this newsgroup and
let them see for themselves the back-stabbing; perhaps then they will
realise that they are going to lose customers galore unless something is
done regarding their communications with customers; not to mention
the obvious flaws within their product. (especially trying to delete it
after its time limit.)
Another thing also comes to mind; just why is it that so many people
purchase their product? Lets face it, millions have it.

...Rex..

"Rob Giordano (Crash Gordon®)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
message news:#mxpKUYjFHA.232@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Norton is junk these days...I've had so many problems with it...just junk &
lousy support.

"lid6pl6" <lid6pl6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the
following
| message:
| There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had me
try
| several things including making sure all files were old Norton removed,
| etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am still
receiving
| the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any suggestions?

Why do people use it--they don't know any better. Symantec partners with
OEMs and provides a copy with new computers that can be used free for a
number of months. People just renew it not knowing the problems that can
occur or that there are better, cheaper products available.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why doesnt someone point one of their Reps' to this newsgroup and
> let them see for themselves the back-stabbing; perhaps then they will
> realise that they are going to lose customers galore unless something is
> done regarding their communications with customers; not to mention
> the obvious flaws within their product. (especially trying to delete it
> after its time limit.)
> Another thing also comes to mind; just why is it that so many people
> purchase their product? Lets face it, millions have it.
>
> ..Rex..
>

> "Rob Giordano (Crash Gordon®)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
> message news:#mxpKUYjFHA.232@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Norton is junk these days...I've had so many problems with it...just junk
> &
> lousy support.
>

> "lid6pl6" <lid6pl6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the
> following
> | message:
> | There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had me
> try
> | several things including making sure all files were old Norton removed,
> | etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am still
> receiving
> | the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any suggestions?

I dunno. I had used Norton/Symantec stuff for years...just kept upgrading it...kinda happily going long. But for the past couple of years it's been a pain in the arse. The worst is the support...if you can manage to find it in their KB it *may* work...usually not...otherwise you gotta pay. Who wants to pay?...I've been paying every year for updates/upgrades. I *have* emailed them numerous times...no response. The NAV Live Update used to work great until the 2005 edition...now it fails monthly...uninstall..reinstall...ridiculous.

Then to find that I have to uninstall WinFax Pro, and ACT! in order to completely rid my machine of NAV and System Works? sheesh...that's a nightmare.

Piece of junk if you ask me...never again

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OKqcTHfjFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| Why doesnt someone point one of their Reps' to this newsgroup and
| let them see for themselves the back-stabbing; perhaps then they will
| realise that they are going to lose customers galore unless something is
| done regarding their communications with customers; not to mention
| the obvious flaws within their product. (especially trying to delete it
| after its time limit.)
| Another thing also comes to mind; just why is it that so many people
| purchase their product? Lets face it, millions have it.
|
| ..Rex..
|

| "Rob Giordano (Crash Gordon®)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
| message news:#mxpKUYjFHA.232@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| Norton is junk these days...I've had so many problems with it...just junk &
| lousy support.
|

| "lid6pl6" <lid6pl6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| | When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the
| following
| | message:
| | There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had me
| try
| | several things including making sure all files were old Norton removed,
| | etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am still
| receiving
| | the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any suggestions?

So what are you guys using?
I've been using AVG the past few weeks and it seems ok.

"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message news:uvGnsjfjFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| Why do people use it--they don't know any better. Symantec partners with
| OEMs and provides a copy with new computers that can be used free for a
| number of months. People just renew it not knowing the problems that can
| occur or that there are better, cheaper products available.
|
| --
| Regards
|

| Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
| Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
| Knowledge Base Info:
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
|

| "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > Why doesnt someone point one of their Reps' to this newsgroup and
| > let them see for themselves the back-stabbing; perhaps then they will
| > realise that they are going to lose customers galore unless something is
| > done regarding their communications with customers; not to mention
| > the obvious flaws within their product. (especially trying to delete it
| > after its time limit.)
| > Another thing also comes to mind; just why is it that so many people
| > purchase their product? Lets face it, millions have it.
| >
| > ..Rex..
| >

| > "Rob Giordano (Crash Gordon®)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
| > message news:#mxpKUYjFHA.232@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| > Norton is junk these days...I've had so many problems with it...just junk
| > &
| > lousy support.
| >

| > "lid6pl6" <lid6pl6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the
| > following
| > | message:
| > | There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had me
| > try
| > | several things including making sure all files were old Norton removed,
| > | etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am still
| > receiving
| > | the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any suggestions?

Some use Avast, others AVG and my choice is ETrust which Gary Terhune also
uses.

--

message news:euPo71fjFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
So what are you guys using?
I've been using AVG the past few weeks and it seems ok.

"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
| Why do people use it--they don't know any better. Symantec partners with
| OEMs and provides a copy with new computers that can be used free for a
| number of months. People just renew it not knowing the problems that can
| occur or that there are better, cheaper products available.
|
| --
| Regards
|

| Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
| Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
| Knowledge Base Info:
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
|

| "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > Why doesnt someone point one of their Reps' to this newsgroup and
| > let them see for themselves the back-stabbing; perhaps then they will
| > realise that they are going to lose customers galore unless something is
| > done regarding their communications with customers; not to mention
| > the obvious flaws within their product. (especially trying to delete it
| > after its time limit.)
| > Another thing also comes to mind; just why is it that so many people
| > purchase their product? Lets face it, millions have it.
| >
| > ..Rex..
| >

| > "Rob Giordano (Crash Gordon®)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote
in
| > message news:#mxpKUYjFHA.232@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| > Norton is junk these days...I've had so many problems with it...just
junk
| > &
| > lousy support.
| >

| > "lid6pl6" <lid6pl6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | When installing Norton Internet Security 2005, I am receiving the
| > following
| > | message:
| > | There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. Symantec had
me
| > try
| > | several things including making sure all files were old Norton
removed,
| > | etc... including reinstalling the Windows Installer. I am still
| > receiving
| > | the error. They sent me to Microsoft for help. Any suggestions?

cool thanks!

how about a reliable "uninstaller" program?
having dumped CleanSweep...I've been using Regseeker but it's a little scarey at times...and W98 Add/Remove doesn't really do much.

"Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message news:e3xZ0HgjFHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| Some use Avast, others AVG and my choice is ETrust which Gary Terhune also
| uses.
|
| --
| Regards
|

| Ron Badour, MS MVP for W98
| Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
| Knowledge Base Info:
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
|

| "Rob Giordano (Crash Gordon®)" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
| message news:euPo71fjFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| So what are you guys using?
| I've been using AVG the past few weeks and it seems ok.
|

| "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
| | Why do people use it--they don't know any better. Symantec partners with
| | OEMs and provides a copy with new computers that can be used free for a
| | number of months. People just renew it not knowing the problems that can
| | occur or that there are better, cheaper products available.
| |
| | --
| | Regards
| |