Can somebody try running Oblivion on a Conroe please :)

cubicleslave

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
There is an interesting article over at Anandtech where AMD's current top of the line CPU gets owned by Oblivion (the cpu is performing at its limits, yet the game settings are not maxed out yet). I am curious how Conroe does with this game, even an ES one. Is it possible to run dual X1900 cards in crossfire mode with a Conroe-compatible mobo? Would anyone care to do an intelligent analysis of how a 3.33GHz Conroe EE might fare? Please, no fanboy posts, just logical and objective analysis. I am not currently a gamer, but the eye candy of Oblivion makes me think about jumping in, if adequate hardware becomes available! Here is the anandtech article for your reference:

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2747

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You do realize that what you are asking is .00001% chance of anyone having this rig right now?

No one has shown @ 3.33Ghz yet.

Oblivion in Crossfire on Conroe is fine :D

The current processor scaling of Oblivion at high res is rather horrendous, with only less than 1 frame per sec separating a single core A64/3200+ all the way up to an FX57, FX60. or "EE" P9x0 series...

Perhaps a Conroe will scale another 2 fps lead over the rest? :)

barlag

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Anandtech has an article on Oblivion CPU performance
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2747
according to these the AMDs are quite superior in Oblivion with around 20% extra speed on comparable systems. What is shocking is how there is a 250% speed difference between a celeron 3.2ghz and an FX60 2.6ghz. I dont really know of any other game that is this sensitive to CPU aswell as GPU.

Yes, Conroe tests should be interesting (should definitely reclaim some oblivion territory), but only if it's done under controlled test conditions with the same GPU and settings and timedemo scripts.

:lol:

Cheers,
Gabor

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Sure, I'll give it a shot. As a matter of fact, I'll just stop by Wal-Mart today after work and pick up a baker's dozen of Conroe chips. They should be in the clearance aisle by now...

cubicleslave

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
You do realize that what you are asking is .00001% chance of anyone having this rig right now?

No one has shown @ 3.33Ghz yet.

Hehe, yeah I realize that. But it can't hurt to ask! :lol: I was hoping one of you guys with an ES Conroe could replicate one of the anandtech oblivion benchmarks (maybe the Oblivion Gate one?) and report the results to the forum.

The current processor scaling of Oblivion at high res is rather horrendous, with only less than 1 frame per sec separating a single core A64/3200+ all the way up to an FX57, FX60. or "EE" P9x0 series...

Perhaps a Conroe will scale another 2 fps lead over the rest? :)

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Which one of the anandtech oblivion benchies are you referring to? They all appear to range quite widely between procs.