Windows 8 or 7 for new install? Issues...

Havensdad

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
O.K.,

I am trying to decide which operating system to put on my new rig, and I have some questions. I wanted to go with Windows 8, FYI, I am just concerned.

#1 My old Board was given to me by a friend: it is a LGA1366, (namely, a Gigabyte GA EX58 ud3R) with a I7 950 CPU, 16 GB ram, etc. I am concerned because the mobo drivers, obviously, don't officially support Windows 8. I have heard that this can cause trouble with TRIM on ssd...

#2 My monitor is a HD television, 1280 x 720. I have heard that Windows 8 does not officially support this resolution, and that their have been some problems. I don't want to have to jack up my screen, where there are enormous black bars all the way around the screen, and my picture is half size.

#3 My Graphics card is a GTX 570 superclock: unable to find any documentation on support?

#4 This is kind of a separate issue, but, I am not sure, once I determine which version to buy, whether I can buy an "upgrade" or I will be forced to buy an OEM version. I have a copy of Windows Vista, and a copy of XP, but I cannot find what I did with the serial keys. MUST I buy a non-transferable OEM version, then?

Thanks in advance. I know this is a LOT...

Solution
Get version 8, it comes with a free downgrade to 7 if you wish.
If you get version 7 you have to pay for a upgrade to get version 8

the graphics card and the drivers will determine what resolution you can use. It is really not the OS that would do this. My old 1366 system works fine on windows 8. I don't use any of the motherboard drivers that my OEM has. I just use the generic ones that they provided to Microsoft. BTW my OEM supplied drivers were buggy on windows 7 and if you use them on windows 8 they are still buggy, why would you use them?
- If you lost don't want to look for your key and your system still runs just run a program to get extract your known keys from your machine. Most of these tools will save you some...

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Just get a technet subscription for $170 from Amazon. That way you'll have both 7 and 8 and dual boot + you'll have all the other MS stuff like office. The subscription is good for 1 year for new keys, but the OS's and other software will continue to run after the subscription expires. You get 2 keys per product that will work on 5 PC's each. The software list in the subscription its pretty impressive. 7, 8, XP, Server, office.....

Havensdad

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

The 170 dollar version says "no operating systems"...

Havensdad

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Also, perhaps you didn't notice the changes as of July 2012...

"Made Microsoft software use and other subscription benefits available only during the 12 month subscription period.

170 bucks to use the software for a year only...after that, they will cease to function, unless you renew your subscription.

Havensdad

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
C'mon, y'all. Don't just say "7" or "8"...I have specific concerns that need addressed! If you say "8" how do I address the problems above? If you say "7" why? Does it have something to do with what I listed above, or your own preference?

My PREFERENCE is Windows 8...I want to know any technical difficulties I might encounter, specific to what I have listed.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
If your preference is 8 then really, will we actually come up with reasons for 7 that you will consider, or will you think we are just sour apples against change?

Test drove a set up at the local electronics store, did some reading and still prefer Win 7 for myself and the fact I don't have to upgrade my hardware components that do not have Win 8 drivers is a plus.

Havensdad

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

The reasons that I was asking a response to, were the difficulties I laid out above. I am wanting technical reasons why I shouldn't or should go with 8, not preferential reasons. I like the format of 8, I am just trying to figure out if the things I listed above, in the OP, will be a major problem...

Get version 8, it comes with a free downgrade to 7 if you wish.
If you get version 7 you have to pay for a upgrade to get version 8

the graphics card and the drivers will determine what resolution you can use. It is really not the OS that would do this. My old 1366 system works fine on windows 8. I don't use any of the motherboard drivers that my OEM has. I just use the generic ones that they provided to Microsoft. BTW my OEM supplied drivers were buggy on windows 7 and if you use them on windows 8 they are still buggy, why would you use them?
- If you lost don't want to look for your key and your system still runs just run a program to get extract your known keys from your machine. Most of these tools will save you some time hunting your registry for the key. just google for a product cd key viewer. here is one Web Site: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

most of the trouble people get with SSD on windows 8 is not the fault of the OS. It is the fault of the firmware in the SSD. Older drives did not implement some functions correctly this causes problems so windows 7 turned off the OS default access to these functions until SSD manufactures could get their products fixed. Now, when windows 8 shipped it is the first time for many of these drives to actually have the functions called by the OS. Guess what, the bad code in the firmware is still bad code in the firmware until the drive firmware is updated to the fixed version.
Windows 8 get the blame for being screwed up, they can not update your firmware for you, you have to do it. Lots of people blame the OS and just go back to windows 7 which has the functions turned off by default. Only problem is updated drivers can change the defaults at any time and then windows 7 will fail. (new Intel chipset drivers have been updated to the windows 8 defaults when they are installed on windows 7. )

Solution

cgeek

Honorable
May 7, 2013

I have windows 8 pro 64bit. Though i have a nice pc, windows 8 shows many issues like - when it opens the start menu goes black and then i have to restart and it starts normally, it lags for 5min while loading the icons and other stuff when i click desktop button on start menu and after that it starts working normally...
I have updated win8 with new updates...is there any problem in the new update or windows 8 pro?? shuld i switch to windows 7 ultimate? Have you experienced any type of lag in win8?